TForce | Meeting in Indianapolis

just-me

TB Lurker
Credits
We had our meeting with Ken H & Gordon S. Everything went very well looks like maybe things might be wrapped up ,,hopefully in the spring..
They also told us that no one from Richmond will be taking part in any of the talks..
This will be a only UPS and the Teamsters
talks...No Ovnt management people will be there at all.
We are all very pumped up:USA:

just-me said:
We had our meeting with Ken H & Gordon S. Everything went very well looks like maybe things might be wrapped up ,,hopefully in the spring..
They also told us that no one from Richmond will be taking part in any of the talks..
This will be a only UPS and the Teamsters
talks...No Ovnt management people will be there at all.
We are all very pumped up:USA:
Yea, spring of 2010.:thumbsup:

Skeeter said:
hey skeeter you sound so disappointed!
whats the matter fella are you afraid to benefit from other people getting ahead?
you should try to be a little more optimistic buddy
you may find the solace you seek when your living and working conditions have been improved

big steve said:
whats the matter fella are you afraid to benefit from other people getting ahead?
you may find the solace you seek when your living and working conditions have been improved

Not disappointed at all. You guys keep up the good work. It helps our wages go up even if we don't choose to go union.

By the way I guess that means you guys and Reno don't get the raise the first of the year. It has to be negotiated.

Well, good luck hope it don't take to long and you get better wages and benefits than UPS gives us.

But I doubt it.

If you say everthing is going so well,than why will it take up to 6 months to get the first UPS Freight contract wrapped up?
And you also say hopefuly,so we all may be looking at even more time?

Just a thought but I know the NMFA contract expires in the spring of 2007.
May be the Teamster rep's want to get the NMFA tucked into bed,before they finish with the UPS Freight contract?

I don't know this may just be my opinion?
You all know by now how much trust I have in the Teamsters leadership.
Could be I'm looking at this whole deal in to much of a negative view?
Not to offend all of you Teamsters posters,this is just how I see it.

Whoops I stand corrected by Mike01.
I was sure that the NMFA contract ended by the spring of 2007,one year before the UPS parcel contract.
But Mike says different.
That its March of 2008.
Funny how most of my Teamster friends don't seem to know when their contract ends either?

Oh well I'll say I'm sorry for posting wrong information that I had on hear say.

Its not the first time I've been wrong.
Hopefuly it will be the last.

A few examples of the many contract improvements include:
* Wage increases of $2.25 per hour over the life of the agreement (.50,
.40, .40, .45, .50) compared to $1.40 per hour in the 1998 agreement;
* Health and pension increases of $3.10 per hour (.60, .60, .60, .60, .70)
compared to $2.10 per hour in the 1998 agreement;
* A real COLA of $.01 per hour for every .2 increase in the CPI after 3
percent;
* Employers prohibited from subcontracting any work in the United States
to a Mexican carrier;
* Health and welfare insurance paid for military leave increased from 12
to 18 months;
* One additional week vacation after 30 years of service;
* Air conditioning for all city equipment purchased after 4/1/03;
* Walk-in sleeper cabs for all sleepers purchased after 4/1/03;
* Expanded employment opportunities to laid off NMFA workers.

Apostolic said:
If you say everthing is going so well,than why will it take up to 6 months to get the first UPS Freight contract wrapped up?

May be the Teamster rep's want to get the NMFA tucked into bed,before they finish with the UPS Freight contract?

Apostolic, You've got to realize that this contract is being negotiated from the ground up. Every single piece of language in this new contracted has to be negotiated. Things like this don't happen overnight.

Whenever the NMFA is up(it is 2008 by the way) the negotiations usually just focus on changes to existing language or minor new language. Thats why it can be done much faster.

One other thing. These negotiators do not meet every day to hammer out this contract.
They may meet one day and not meet again for a few weeks.

Thanks for the heads up CFer.
I'm really out of the loop being away from being a union member for so long.
Also the Teamster members working for the union companies I get to talk to once in awhile seem like their ownly concern is whats going on with their companies,or UPS freight other than keeping up with union business.

So I say a big thanks for every ones help for me to shake the cobwebs out of my head,and get with the program.

Skeeter said:
Why can't you be positive about things you are so neg. You were not at the meeting I was and I know what is going on. If you could just be a little
patient you may learn some thing..I'm trying to inform everyone..:exclaim:

big steve said:
Thank You. ,If some were a little more understanding than they could learn things:tweety:

Skeeter said:
Not disappointed at all. You guys keep up the good work. It helps our wages go up even if we don't choose to go union.

By the way I guess that means you guys and Reno don't get the raise the first of the year. It has to be negotiated.

Well, good luck hope it don't take to long and you get better wages and benefits than UPS gives us.

But I doubt it.
Well there you go again, you wasn't at the meeting in Indy. Do you think maybe you could just listen a little more and not be so neg.:rolleyes1:

just-me said:
Thank You. ,If some were a little more understanding than they could learn things:tweety:
Yes, and as I said before, UPS FREIGHT WILL BE UNION whether we like it or not. So we all should hope that contract turns out at least as good as the NMFA. Just-me, did he Ken Hall say anything about the road pay? What else went on at the meeting?

Apostolic said:

Okay I"ll say it again ,it is going to take awhile because we want this to be the best contract it can be . We are doing this for everyone ,don't you want us to go over this and make sure it's the best it could be for all of us??? Please be patient, this is not some thing you want to rush through,they are meeting with UPS on Oct,10th to talk UPS contract . Than they are gonna meet on Oct 11 to talk about our contract.The is what Ken H told us at the hall. Be POSITIVE it's gonna happen.
If you were gonna buy a house would you rush through the paperwork just to get done??:USA:

Browne1 said:
Yes, and as I said before, UPS FREIGHT WILL BE UNION whether we like it or not. So we all should hope that contract turns out at least as good as the NMFA. Just-me, did he Ken Hall say anything about the road pay? What else went on at the meeting?
Well Gordon S
said that we will not get anything less than the NMFA but we will get some of the UPS contract items also. That came straight from Ken H,The meeting was very up beat I feel that when it's all said and done the NMFA will make big improvements also..:Banane01:

just-me said:
Well Gordon S
said that we will not get anything less than the NMFA but we will get some of the UPS contract items also. That came straight from Ken H,The meeting was very up beat I feel that when it's all said and done the NMFA will make big improvements also..:Banane01:
Just me, I would like to thank you and all of the people at the Indy terminal for sticking your necks out to try to help the rest of us. I wish you guys the best and soon we will be right behind you. Any and I mean any info you have pls let everyone know...

You all think UPS wants there freight division,(UPS Freight) to be be unionized,with a contract that has all the rules of operation spelled out leaving no gray areas?

Where now with the old Overnite rules there is room for debate,that maybe you didn't understand what the company wanted,with any given policy issue.

With a union contract all the language is clear,if you break the rules you can grieve it but in the long run if its written out,you'll ultimatly suffer the consequences of your error.

I do recall my old union days,when someone messed up,they got written up,the next time it was 3 days off without pay,if you just couldn't seem to get it the next time it was a week without pay,or termination,depending how bad the violation was.
Since I've been away from the union for all these years maybe this process has changed?

I know from working at Overnite over 20 years now,that they have a lot of calling people into the office for a talking too.
A letter in your file,maybe a threat of termination,but thats about it.

I believe that UPS is so used to dealling with their parcel workers through the Teamsters,maybe they'd rather have their freight division the same way.

I'm going to be 63 this coming March.
I'm also interested in how our pension will be worked out?
I don't have any idea when I will retire, but the pension could give me an idea if it will be sooner,than later.