Yellow | Merging

If all of those still hanging on after 30 years, from both companies, would just retire, it would help alot!!!!

Understand your comment "BUT"
I'm fully vested but only have 29 years with the company and am only 52 at the moment. Show me how I can retire under such an unfair system without being punished or having a percentage of my pension garnished!
Would really love to bail but wont do it at my expence!
There are no options here for some of us!

If all of those still hanging on after 30 years, from both companies, would just retire, it would help alot!!!!

I'm 52 with 29+ years in. Where would you suggest I get insurance for my wife and I. Your coverage may be included in your plan but it isn't in Central States until age 57 then it's only $620 a month. Sorry I think I'll just keep working

This merger should not be of surprise to anyone! I heard that it was commented on the conference call this AM that this was in the works for 5 years. Now will be to see what happens to USF and New Penn. Those newer USF tractors would easily fit into the Yellow-Roadway system.

The bigger question is: will Yellow/Roadway survive even after it is integrated?

Ther aren't any two name carriers left
Ryder/ Pie
Chief/Morrison
Commercial/ Lovelace
Spector/ Redball
somebody help me what were some others.

After reading the analyst's reports were all in the same boat & its taking on water fast! Just like all of us should feel here, none of us are gonna get a pension if this doesnt get turned around!

Hi Guys I just joined the other day and have been reading the post for couple of months before I decided to join, that being said I work for yellow and have been there for 13 yrs. About 4 yrs before I got there they closed like four terminals and combined them into one(bensalem/philadedlphia,Pa I have noticed with roadway they have a bunch of satilite terminals just in my area the philly area, when this happened I told the roadway guys then that yellow would combine alot of the smaller ones into a large one, they are building a new roadway terminal in the trenton area now. Also remember this my brothers we are in an economic downturn which always happens in an election year then things pick up, we are stretched thin at our barn for people with the companies using about 8 part timers(dock), under the contract they can't use them if guys are laid off. If you think about it in the mid west nebraska,oklahoma,Kansas etc etc. where there is not as much freight as in the northeast it might make more sense to combine both into one terminal.
I have heard alot of people from other companies bash Yellow for trying to change with the times, for example they tried getting into the reginal market with saia. they had to spin off to comply with NMFA. they tried with preston again old equipment, some bad freight that yellow had to honor the contracts on, and few other things I don't know about.
Then yellow bought jevic and because of dumb mistake with the contract or whatever they we're competeing against the same guy they buy the old company from (new century), they we're trying to use them as truckload but new century took alot of the drivers and they went after the freight that they had under jevic........ So now they are trying something new....velocity,(next day) new penn(regional northeast) usf(truckload and western)Roadway same as Yellow except the roadway brand sells itself just like the yellow brand. I have only a high school education so I am not claiming to be the brightest bulb in the pack but I think they have to change with the times or fear of not surviving the ever changing trucking market. We as union companies we do it better,smarter, and more cost effiecient than the non-union because of our pay, benefits and pension.
One more thing we have problems the same as most barns, bad dispatchers, bums, rats and general :butt kiss:so is it a bed of roses?...No but the other choice is being buried by the numerous non unions nipping at our heals. If I sound like a rah rah company man I am not because I have had my problems in the past for not filling out trip sheets properly letter to dismiss for failing to fill out an OD_62(hours log).2nd time lol. Got a letter the other day for booking off after my shift had started....oops over slept lol. But the other choice without change is not good.thanks Drive safe:smilie_132:

I guess when we are all old and being stored away in a nursing home, their is always going to be some young whipper-snapper with a walker pushin us older people in our wheel chairs out of the way,saying, "Why don't you old farts move out of the way and let us walkers get to the pill lady!! I need my pills!!" "I need my pills, dag nab it!!":biglaugh::hysterical::smilie_132:

Retire soon

Wouldn't it be nice to 30 and out any age? Get laid off after the merger and buy a year or two and retire? Who was running the show when these options were pulled out from underneath us? Lots of guys with the time might retire if the rules weren't changed. Instead we work at UPS Freight after the merger layoff and start your union pension over from scratch. Who is running this show?

You're right it would. But who the hell are you to tell anyone when they should retire. I'm near the bottom of my board of 180 and everyday see the list where the top 30+ all have 30 yrs or more. But because of age they can't go yet. Neither you nor myself have the right to tell them that. If you really want to b*tch at your senior guys for hanging around too long then maybe you should have just hired in sooner. Put in your time and deal with it like everyone else.

Seniority

You're right it would. But who the hell are you to tell anyone when they should retire. I'm near the bottom of my board of 180 and everyday see the list where the top 30+ all have 30 yrs or more. But because of age they can't go yet. Neither you nor myself have the right to tell them that. If you really want to b*tch at your senior guys for hanging around too long then maybe you should have just hired in sooner. Put in your time and deal with it like everyone else.

Well said. That goes for working seniority also.

Well said. That goes for working seniority also.
??????? Guess by that you mean I'm intitled to 60 hours while you starve. At least that is what I think you were trying to say. I agree that is your right. I don't agree that it is right. :soapbox:

Merger

I heard they are merging sales immediately and then combining the small terminals. The breakbulks will be last. They expect to cut 15-20% of the teamster jobs except in the office where they will cut 60%. They are going to dovetail all boards.
I also heard that they are finally getting around to this because YRCW is going to have a terrible second half of '08 and want to bury the loses in the restructuring.
With the debt they already have and now this. I doesn't look good. If the economy doesn't improve, they may, God help them, go the way of CF. Tons of debt, cash flow tightening, overcapacity, Zollars the golden child leading the corp, pressure from the non-union scumbags are part of the bad recipe.
Warning signs: junk bond status on debt, departure of the chief financial officer, managers jumping ship...

??????? Guess by that you mean I'm intitled to 60 hours while you starve. At least that is what I think you were trying to say. I agree that is your right. I don't agree that it is right. :soapbox:

I am not liking what is happening at Yellow ....do I think we are going to merge every barn no...however being teamster for 13 yrs I roll witht he punches.....dovetail is the right thing to do...do I like it no because I get shoved further down the board..........however that being said what is right is right..I just wonder how the Roadyway guys would do if the shoe was on the other foot...my 2 cents

CF/ conway Sorry I still aint over it.

You shouldn't be over it. It may happen again Yellow/Roadway////Yrc Logistics

I feel we should be campaigning to to bring YRC Logistics into the union before it's to late, There will be plenty of us laid off we will be able to participate in the campaign without having to do it around a work schedule.

You shouldn't be over it. It may happen again Yellow/Roadway////Yrc Logistics

I feel we should be campaigning to to bring YRC Logistics into the union before it's to late, There will be plenty of us laid off we will be able to participate in the campaign without having to do it around a work schedule.

Just a quick note here for anyone who isnt aware of this.
The newest acquisition in china is also a functioning logistics company!
What does it matter?....who really knows!