Middle lane drivers and learn how to merge

here it comes.

It is well known that drivers will not be stopped for 5 to 7 over.

Right, as a young man I was given a lot of breaks by the cops, but they never let me keep my drugs.

I do ten over in my personal vehicle commonly and still these law breakers are passing me on the right.

professionals move to the right to let traffic pass....if you want to be the speed monitor so be it....<snip> no arguments from me run the Center Lane...

Here's a man who has realized there's nothing he can do about it and has made peace with it.

This topic comes up on craigslist quite a bit, I always enjoy the whining. Why do bitter tears taste so sweet.

Anyhow we are dealing with two ordinances, one is the speed limit and the other is slower traffic keep right. Since our law makers are clear headed rational thinkers, we know that one ordinance will not contradict the other. So, barring emergency vehicles, no one is allowed to go over the speed limit, so the slower traffic they are referring to must be those going considerably under the speed limit.

So I'm amused when one going 10 over is mad at the one going 5 over and doesn't get over. You're both law breakers, deal with it.

I see speed limit signs all over the place, but the only place I see slower traffic keep right signs are in rural areas, where there are only two lanes, the left (usually) for passing.

I keep hearing "professional" all over the place. A professional driver should adhere to the speed limit as well as every other ordinance. If you are regularly exceeding the speed limit, you are making more money, your company is moving more freight, moving it faster and making more money, and you and your company are making these gains by breaking the law, which is unethical, and unprofessional. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it also if I could, I'm just taking the other side of the argument, and it's so cold and lonely over on this side of the argument. Don't take it personal, just listen to the arguments, like a professional.

I'll let it slide, go ahead and speed, and I'll pretend you're a professional, but complain about not being able to speed because someone else is doing the posted speed limit on the highway, you'll lose your credibility, because speeding is not professional, even if everyone does it, except those who don't.

My truck is governed at 60, which is the speed limit. If the exits/entrances are two or three miles apart, and or traffic is light, I can deal with the right lane. But a lot of parts the exits/entrances are every half mile or mile. If traffic is heavy, and I'm in the right lane, I will be slowed down like every 45 seconds. I like to keep a lot of distance in front of me, it's safer, but that distance keeps getting taken away from me by merging traffic, when a truck gets on, I'm tempted to get over, more lane changes, more risk. If I'm gonna be on the highway a while, I shouldn't be interfering with all the 4 wheelers getting on the highway at every entrance. I drive in the next lane over for safety purposes, where I can better control the space in front of me, where I have the well formed opinion that it is safer.

So, since I'm not going 62, 63, 65 miles per hour, you think I should be in the right lane, continually being slowed down to 45, 50, 55 miles per hour, and this is just so you can pass? That's pretty selfish of you, don't you think? That's not very courteous or professional, I've lifted twenty or twenty five thousand pounds and worked up to 16 hours, you can bet I'm going home the quickest way possible.

Maybe I'll be on the highway for 25 miles. If you were stuck behind me, and traffic was moving 63 miles per hour, how much time would it cost you? A couple of minutes? Your getting worked up over a few minutes? Even if it happens every day? Wow. How much stress is involved weaving that 40 ton dragon in and out of the lanes and passing on the right?

Next, you're impeding traffic flow by failing to keep right.

Since my truck don't speed up so fast, I'm impeding traffic more if I'm in the right lane, encouraging 4 wheelers to want to jump into the middle lane while going too slow.

Drive your truck and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.

I drive it every day, I'm not worried, where is this coming from?

If you aren't passing anyone, you need to be in the right lane

In a rural area I'd say yes, in an urban area, maybe not. And who said I wasn't passing anyone.

You're not a cop, so stop acting like one.

I am acting like a law abiding citizen, driving my commercial vehicle at the speed limit, professionally and legally. I have not told anyone to slow down, that's how the cops act, see, they run around telling people to slow down. I'm glad we got that cleared up.

If I'm in the middle lane and driving the speed limit, the only people being "impeded" are people who are breaking speeding laws. If they're not worried about speeding laws, why would they be worried about left lane violations?

Thank you for making this point, saves me some typing. I am occasionally passed in the left lane, and may myself be guilty of that violation.

I'm not saying don't speed, don't pass, don't flip people off or honk your horn. I'm saying don't get upset when someone slows you down, flips you off, passes you or honks their horn. You're gonna encounter an unbelievable idiot every day you hit the road, you should have known this going into this profession, you should be expecting it every day, you shouldn't get upset about it, because that would be unprofessional.

If you get behind me and feel the need to pass me on the right or left and honk your horn and let me know that you're upset, well you should know that this may be one of my greatest joys in life.

Well Ted. ... doing 62 in a 65 isn't doing the speed limit. Most of the trucks I come to are doing 60 or less....more likely looking at their cellphone or GPS. ...sometimes they are watching tv on computer. ...

I myself run within 5 miles over the speed limit....and I do the speed limit or less in a construction zones...there's no big speeder here

As for me dragging a 40 ton load..... the heaviest I pull down the road is usually 10000 pounds....so like I said before ride the center lane I don't care I can pick the speed backup....because after all I am a professional and I have patience......and most of all I try to be considerate of others.

have a good day

If you followed my posts on this forum, you'd know I'm in the process of becoming a state trooper (hence my absense).

And yes, I'd pull you over for impeding traffic before I pull over the driver going 5 over.

here it comes.

My truck is governed at 60, which is the speed limit.

Huh?

huh.jpg

Forgive me brother.

60 MPH is the speed limit on the majority of the Interstate Highways that I drive upon while making my deliveries in my town, which, coincidentally, is Saint Louis where the OP said he was driving around when he encountered the merging mayhem and middle lane monopolies.

Forgive me brother.

60 MPH is the speed limit on the majority of the Interstate Highways that I drive upon while making my deliveries in my town, which, coincidentally, is Saint Louis where the OP said he was driving around when he encountered the merging mayhem and middle lane monopolies.

Its all good.

60 is the limit in the entire state I live in (for trucks), and I did consider the municipal limits.

But I run everywhere, and the average limit is 65, and is as high as 80 in Texas and Utah.

We call them MLMF in NJ which has the rudest of the rude drivers. You will see cars doing 60 in the middle lane until the one leading the pack goes thru the right lane and off the exit ramp. Then they will drive 80 until they catch the next slow mover in the middle lane. There they sit once more until the middle lane becomes clear once again. And the whole time the far left lane is wide open. I don't know if they fear the ditch monsters or what the hang up is to be in the middle. Amazingly when they get to PA and only 2 lanes to drive in they seem to do much better LOL.

anyone who drives faster than me is an idiot
anyone who drives slower than me is a moron

I run the left lane, when the right is too bumpy, anybody have a problem with that?..lol

There are a few places in the US and Canuckistan where I have run that are like that. Even out in Commiefornia, where trucks are not allowed out of the right lane except to pass (or are restricted to the 2 right lanes when there are 3 or more).

When the state refuses to keep the lanes for trucks in good repair how can they object when the drivers choose to move over to the middle or left lane to keep from having coffee spilled all over the place?

Sheesh!

We call them MLMF in NJ which has the rudest of the rude drivers. You will see cars doing 60 in the middle lane until the one leading the pack goes thru the right lane and off the exit ramp. Then they will drive 80 until they catch the next slow mover in the middle lane. There they sit once more until the middle lane becomes clear once again. And the whole time the far left lane is wide open. I don't know if they fear the ditch monsters or what the hang up is to be in the middle. Amazingly when they get to PA and only 2 lanes to drive in they seem to do much better LOL.

I have found it quite interesting how each region will have a distinct type of behavior that is specific to that area only, and will usually not be found anywhere else.

Kind of like regional accents.

anyone who drives faster than me is an idiot
anyone who drives slower than me is a moron

That's right.

One thing I could never figure out is why none of those idiots and morons don't know enough to stay the Hell off of My road.

Didn't they get the memo?

big-cheesy-grincopy.png

I've conducted experiments about this, and concluded that, 9 times out of 10, if you ride the middle of 3 lanes, in the middle of the night and a 4 wheeler comes up behind you...they will almost ALWAYS pass on the right..lol

I have enjoyed this thread, I stay in the right lane when I enter OKC, all the way until I get to the downtown area and split off on I-35, then I take the middle lane until I get about 2 miles from the Norman exit, which is a left exit. Why so soon? Thats usually when I get a break, if I wait till the last minute or half mile or so no one may let me in, then I have to cross 2 lanes to get to the other exit.

This is about the middle lane not the left one, so I have 2 trailers up to 42' or triples, I am governed at 58 mph, I find that I am passing everything in sight in the right lane, the left one stays full, well, they all stay full, traffic sucks.

Occasionally I get the driver that deals out his or her own brand of justice by swinging their trailer over in my lane to seemingly make me pay, never the tractor, that wouldn't be safe, only the trailer, I never have figured out why it is I can keep 2 long boxes in my lane but some of these guys can't keep 1 itty bitty 53' trailer in a straight line.

Like Airbrakes said to Ted, don't worry about everyone else or whatever, isn't commenting on this thread not taking your own advise?

Just for the record, if you pull me over and give me any lip, I will take all your weapons, your badge, handcuff your left arm to your right foot, put your car in drive and send it down the road, try explaining that one at the station rookie..LOL!! ;)

If you followed my posts on this forum, you'd know I'm in the process of becoming a state trooper (hence my absense).

And yes, I'd pull you over for impeding traffic before I pull over the driver going 5 over.
Another Super Dooper Trooper, oh what joy.
Hey tripper, absence is spelt with ONE of S, not 2, okay?, make a note, unless one is referencing AB SENSE as in body building, okay chief?, thank you.

I do not travel much in Indiana, so NO WORRIES MATE.

Hey boys and girls, Colonel KLINK, our Komrade up in arms will be making a appearance soon (according to he), so be at the ready with Water Balloons and Confetti or Tar and Feathers, whichever COMBO you prefer!!

Have a N I C E day!!
CHEERIOS!!

Just for the record, if you pull me over and give me any lip, I will take all your weapons, your badge, handcuff your left arm to your right foot, put your car in drive and send it down the road, try explaining that one at the station rookie..LOL!! ;)

You are the man!

Yeah, just what we need, another trooper writing BS tickets while the drunks, texters, uninsured/ unlicensed pass by laughing.

Yeah, just what we need, another trooper writing BS tickets while the drunks, texters, uninsured/ unlicensed pass by laughing.

and some states, wanna give driver's licenses to the illegal aliens, and according to my state gubna, he says that these drivers WILL have to carry auto insurance...

oh sure, HHHMMMmmm...let's see, illegal aliens, non-registered cars, no insurance, yep...let's license the whole coconut bunch of 'em....

if they cannot get legal now as a US citizen, what's gonna make'em get insurance..???

gubna Schwarzenegger started that BS, if memory serves me, if not, someone please make correction..??

I'm guessing after spending an abundance of time in the courtroom watching his citations get dismissed, he'll quickly figure out what NOT to waste his time on. The gung-ho, write a ticket for everything I see thing, won't last long..lol