Yellow | Motels in TN

Just made it into BUF, and wanted to give a little update. I talked to a couple of drivers out of CGB about the hotel in NSH, and they told me that there are several grievances that have been filed in regards to both motels (Days Inn & Hill Top). I didn't have time to check into how many or how they were going, but I will when I get back.

Hotel in Nashville

Just got off the phone with a Col driver. He claims that the COL Union rep went to Nashville to check out the hotel. And he Passed it. Although supposedly the Rep didn't stay at the NSH hotel. He spent the night at a different Hotel. (I have not personally spoken yet with the union Rep. This is from another driver!) If this is so...The hotel management probably showed the Union Rep one of the rooms they won't let us stay in!

This is a crock. How in the world does a 15 minute visit represent a ten hour stay in a motel? I realize that BAs are special, and much too good to stay where we do . . . (does anyone believe I really mean that?)

Union Official checks Motel in NSH

About an hour ago, I confirmed with one of the COL Senior Union Stewart's that our BA did indeed check out the Hotel in NSH! And he checked 10 rooms. And found 3 to be unacceptable! 3 out of 10. And he passed them! And said the Hotel was Acceptable!!!
And he didn't even sleep there! He had reservations at another Hotel!!!
Hope is not totally lost though. The Senior personnel Manager for Yellow is going to personally check on the Hotel also!!! (Though he probably won't stay there either!)

That's too bad. When I got back today, I saw an example of a grievance on the board, and it was about the NSH motels. If the hotel management knew that the BA was coming, then I would safely assume that they prepared for it. Again, I think that pictures are the key to helping this matter. I intend on finding any police reports about anything that happened at either motel as well.

On a side note, the Super 8 in Buffalo has the thinnest walls of any place I've ever stayed. I'm surprised it's not a fire hazard when you can hear just about everything that goes on in other rooms surrounding you. I should start taking something a bit stronger to help me sleep and stay asleep!

The problem with NSH is that some of the rooms close to the office have been remodeled. Those rooms are actually fairly nice. These are also the rooms that pass inspection. Unfortunatly we don't often get these rooms. Even if you do, you still have the area around you. Which is very depressing and creepy.

About an hour ago, I confirmed with one of the COL Senior Union Stewart's that our BA did indeed check out the Hotel in NSH! And he checked 10 rooms. And found 3 to be unacceptable! 3 out of 10. And he passed them! And said the Hotel was Acceptable!!!
And he didn't even sleep there! He had reservations at another Hotel!!!
Hope is not totally lost though. The Senior personnel Manager for Yellow is going to personally check on the Hotel also!!! (Though he probably won't stay there either!)
Are you sure that the Union Rep. that did the inspection was a BA from Columbus?
Usually when grievances are filed against accomodations at a lay point, the local nearest to the motel being grieved, will receive notice for inspection and assign a Representative (usually a freight BA) along with a Co. Rep. (any Official of any Co. signatory to the NMFA, usually a labor man) to do a joint inspection of the grieved motel. The decision has to be unanimous to pass/fail the motel in question...

I personnally talked to the COL ba and he told me himself that he did not stay there. I about got into an arguement with him over the hotels. He told me that he used to stay in a hotel in NSH that was worse than the current ones when he was still a "road driver". I believe he has forgotten what it is like to be a driver. He told me to call the board of health. Next meeting I think all of us should voice our opinions that he should go represent the hotel and Yellow, since he isn't representing us.

I think a lot of them have been out of the truck too long and forget what it's like. That goes for more than just the motel situation also. Many things don't bother them when it no longer affects them.

Its clear that there is a fraternity initiation component here too. When called on the carpet, his response was "I stayed in worse there", undoubtedly referring to the Mercury. I spent a few nights there too, an experience I would not wish on anyone else. Allowing a bad situation to continue simply because it is better than the former bad situation is sophomoric. When BAs inspect our motels, they should stay in them unannounced. I'll bet he stood in line for twenty minutes while the motel argued with a "regular" customer about there being no stairs to the second floor like a CNC driver and I did the last time I was there.

Im on a bid now outta of Dallas.But when I was running to Memphis off the extra board I would intentionally run out of hours so I wouldnt have to stumble in the Airport Inn.I noticed that airline pilots dont stay there,why do they call it the airport inn?

One of my friends that I work with out of Dallas took pictures of a dildo in some ceiling tile stashed in his room in Memphis when we stayed at the temporary Days Motel.We quickly went back to the ol airport inn....damn,wished he had never seen that thing......

Motel Issues In Nashville

To set the record straight, CNC local 71 has taken the problem to our bi-state comm., and we won approval for an inspection. The local in NSH sent people along with neutral ba's from ABF in Nashville. It passed. That being said, as a Steward I have assisted in close to 100 complaints about these NSH motels. The Fire Marshal, and the Health Department was called and numerous e-mail pictures were sent to them. They did find a full Bakers Dozen problems, and made the owners (Patel), start repairs. NSH linehaul is aware of the on going problems and basically could care less! Every avenue for contract filings has been used, but as yet to no avail. We are still filing complaints, and constantly are looking for a resolution on this problem Bonebreaker

To set the record straight, CNC local 71 has taken the problem to our bi-state comm., and we won approval for an inspection. The local in NSH sent people along with neutral ba's from ABF in Nashville. It passed.

WTF are your "standards". Can we all see them?

That being said, as a Steward I have assisted in close to 100 complaints about these NSH motels. The Fire Marshal, and the Health Department was called and numerous e-mail pictures were sent to them. They did find a full Bakers Dozen problems, and made the owners (Patel), start repairs. NSH linehaul is aware of the on going problems and basically could care less! Every avenue for contract filings has been used, but as yet to no avail. We are still filing complaints, and constantly are looking for a resolution on this problem Bonebreaker

How about a wildcat strike? You think they will close Yellow like they closed RedStar?

The biggest problem that I see with this union is a complete lack of balls!

Please, "under no circumstances" DO NOT MENTION WILD CAT STRIKE that is grounds for dismissmal

Dismissal from what? Yellow? The union?

For talking about something?

Sorry, I thought that this was the USA. I guess along with everything else, my Constitutional rights got lost in the work rules and supplements.

The standards you ask about are the local codes established by the government of Nashville, Tn., and all State level codes that must be followed. This problem is lacking proper contract language that controls lodging, and our local is making proposals to next contract to try and elimanate loopholes that sorry motels use, and that corporate lodging turns a blind eye to. And yes we have also been round and round with corporate lodging, and guess who they represent?, The Company. Our local is at least trying to be Union, and effect a change both at this motel, and at contract level.

don't give a damm if the hotel showed me fifty rooms that were reminicent of the Rito

Now that I have calmed down, I ask unanimous consent to extend and revise my remarks :)

I am not advocating any work stoppage at this stage of the problem. I believe that this issue is, as has been mentioned earlier, a lack of sufficiently strong contract language to protect the membership from these deplorable conditions.

BTW, the current NFMA in Article 8, section 4,during the first 24 hours of an unauthorized strike, the employer may SUSPEND an employee for an unauthorized work stoppage for up to 30 days, but may NOT discharge them. Per the contract, this discipline IS NOT contestable via the grievance process. Once again, I feel that this contract language is objectionable and results from the IBT becoming more bureaucracy laden, and slipping away from its militant roots with predictably bad results.

But back to those rooms.......

The problem with the contract is that when you deal with management, you deal with a building full of lawyers. Which as most of us understand, is like dealing with a building full of children. The same profession that brought us Bill Clinton arguing over what the definition of "is", is, cannot be trusted to decide what words like "suitable" mean.

I will save my most damming criticism for our own union officials however. When the union is faced with the number and nature of complaints about lodgings that they surely were in this case, there should be no question how they would find on an inspection. I really don't care if the hotel showed me fifty rooms that were reminiscent of the Ritz Carlton. Come inspection time, I AM GOING TO SIDE WITH MY MEMBERS!!!!! Thats what you were elected and paid for!!! (read it until is sinks in!!!)

This is a case where management, and their contractor, Corporate Lodging, are using arcane contract language to harm the membership, and, as I said earlier, our union has lost the will, tools or courage to fight on our behalf.

Labor and management ARE CO-EQUAL PARTNERS. We as members need to insure that our union representatives understand what we expect from them. GO TO A DAMMED MEETING!!!!! I go, and half the time they can't even raise a quorum. But the same people who complain the loudest have both stewards and all 4 BA's on speed dial. Read some of the history of YOUR union. We enjoyed our greatest gains during our militant past. And by militant, I don't mean violent, or even necessarily resorting to industrial action. Do no "favors", follow your contracts, supplements and work rules and insist they be followed by both management and our brothers. If you have a problem with a brother teamster, take it up with him, and if that is unsuccessful with the local. If you have an issue with management, get with a STEWARD if they are available, DON'T LET IT SLIDE. Do you know who your stewards are? Are their phone numbers posted?

Problems like this get out of control when the people victimized by them feel powerless to resolve the situation. Currently, we have a contract that is, in many cases, unenforceable, a grievance process that favors management (getting your job back after 6 months without back pay is NOT a victory), and an apathetic membership.

When YOU are ready, WE can fix it.