Yellow | Motels in TN

I wonder if the federal law can be twisted to the point that refusing to go (as a group) to that motel can be interpreted as an unauthorized job action?

The standards you ask about are the local codes established by the government of Nashville, Tn., and all State level codes that must be followed. This problem is lacking proper contract language that controls lodging, and our local is making proposals to next contract to try and elimanate loopholes that sorry motels use, and that corporate lodging turns a blind eye to. And yes we have also been round and round with corporate lodging, and guess who they represent?, The Company. Our local is at least trying to be Union, and effect a change both at this motel, and at contract level.

Having training in home inspection and city codes, I can understand how vague the language for what is acceptable at the city & State level. I was talking to another driver that had a bad experience with roaches at the Hilltop. According to his experience, it seems that all the bugs are on the first floor. However, the problems aren't all with the lodging. As I mentioned before, it's also with the type of people that frequent these motels. I'm a light sleeper and I find it impossible to stay asleep with people next door to me blasting their TV, yelling at their kid, or talking right outside of my door. The overall "conditions" aren't being addressed by these inspections. Especially if the motel management knows that their coming. None of the effort put forth so far has been realistic if the people doing these inspections has stayed their overnight unannounced. I would suggest that the language of the contract include something about places that rent rooms on a weekly basis to the local population of vagabonds, crackheads, small time drug dealers, or prostitutes.

You are very correct when you state that it of no consequence when the motel owners know of an inspection. This is the case in NSH. Days Inn corporate was emailed about the owners attitudes and sent an email back "we are sorry that your stay was not enjoyable, and the person to contact about this is". The contact person is Patel, the motel owner. There is no recourse feedback from Days Inn corporate. Also, none of the inspectors actually stayed at the motels. Cost is a factor in motel choice, but safe, clean, and comfortable lodging must be demanded by the Union, and all it's members. If you stay at a good motel now, this problem could be yours the very next time you go out on a bed trip due to an underbid by a flea bag motel. The Company will change motels for one dollar a room difference. Think about this, and get involved in your local, and be aware of all current work rules that pertain to your domicile. Bone breaker

Next time you go to one of these locations of such luxurious accomodation, make sure the front desk is clear that you will call the police should there be some girls looking for dates. This usually gives them the heads up that you are not playing games. If you are bothered call the police and file a report. They don't want the hassle of having the police on their property. Secondly, if the place is the usual bug infested, mold ridden, lousy joint, you need to take action. Take pictures, alot of pictures. Clear pictures that tell your story. Bugs, dirty beds, etc. Contact your steward, and file a grievance, or do it yourself, if you are so inclined. It will not get you out immediately, but the more grievances from more drivers on the same subject, gets attention.
The contract clearly states that clean, comfortable, sanitary conditions shall be provided at the employers expense.
If for some strange reason, the charges are not sustained, get local information and report the problem to the health department. Most health departments are anxious to prosecute serious offenders because of the tourist/traveling public trade.
We all have to put up with this disrespect, which is a pity because it reflects the lack of personal integrity of the local managers.
I dont know what crap hole you guys are staying in in Tenn., but there is some of the worst in the country there.
Hope this gives you some help. These tactics have been successful for me.

Next time you go to one of these locations of such luxurious accomodation, make sure the front desk is clear that you will call the police should there be some girls looking for dates. This usually gives them the heads up that you are not playing games. If you are bothered call the police and file a report. They don't want the hassle of having the police on their property. Secondly, if the place is the usual bug infested, mold ridden, lousy joint, you need to take action. Take pictures, alot of pictures. Clear pictures that tell your story. Bugs, dirty beds, etc. Contact your steward, and file a grievance, or do it yourself, if you are so inclined. It will not get you out immediately, but the more grievances from more drivers on the same subject, gets attention.
The contract clearly states that clean, comfortable, sanitary conditions shall be provided at the employers expense.
If for some strange reason, the charges are not sustained, get local information and report the problem to the health department. Most health departments are anxious to prosecute serious offenders because of the tourist/traveling public trade.
We all have to put up with this disrespect, which is a pity because it reflects the lack of personal integrity of the local http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/images/smilies/liar.gif
:toxic:managers.
I dont know what crap hole you guys are staying in in Tenn., but there is some of the worst in the country there.

We all have to put up with this disrespect, which is a pity because it reflects the lack of personal integrity of the local managers.
This has been done over and over for NSH, but we keep getting stuck back at the place. But you are right we all need to file on this and keep pressing the issue until the problem is solved. The mold seems to be the biggest issue for drivers and as I understand it this is the big buzz word for lawyers right now.

theres been so many files on nsh you would have to take paerwork over in a pup.dont know why nothing can be done about that place.i run exboard out of ran,we have bid guys that been fileing on that place sence we been in there along with cnc,cgb,det,cve,ect.ect.i run up north as much as possible.at least you get a good days rest and a clean room.:Violin: :USA: :smilies-19296: :TR10driving03:

Just a suggestion. Has anybody refused to stay there, take a cab to another motel, call the terminal and let them know where you are and why you are there, pay for it on your credit card, turn in the receipt when you get home, file a pay shortage and grievance when they don't pay you.

If you are having that much trouble you should contact the National Freight Directors office, Tyson Johnson. There is no reason to bring home this kind of filth.

If you are having that much trouble you should contact the National Freight Directors office, Tyson Johnson. There is no reason to bring home this kind of filth.

I hope you'll excuse me if I have trouble believing that the freight division DOESN'T know about this. I also don't think they really care.

Why do I say this? Try some of the hotels and call me back.

Each local needs to have a committee to deal with the hotels, and it needs to be made up of guys on the extra board, or at least guys that go to all the destinations their barns run to. This crap of having the LOCAL BAs inspect rooms obviously isn't working.

Just a couple of suggestions drivers may use to help their cause. Go to a Union meeting & make a motion that when "ALL" members of "YOUR" Union are in these cities, they have to stay in the same motels as their members (its YOUR Union, YOUR dues pays their salary & YOU vote them in & out) & get someone to second the motion.

You also might want to start by informing dispatch that you did not get your proper rest while @ the motel, & ask them to sign your trip sheet stating you told them. Be polite about it, don't start an argument with them, it won't do anything but get you put on a Greyhound. If they refuse to sign, get their name & state that on your trip sheet. Let the dispatcher dispatch you knowing you didn't get your proper rest, DO NOT REFUSE THE LOAD!!! then go to bed enroute. You can also inform the D.O.T. that Yellow dispatch forced you on a run knowing you weren't rested. Don't jeapordize yours or public safety, just go to a safe legal spot & take a nap (we all know places, we all have our secret spots). When ready to roll again, write FATIGUE on the BOTTOM LINE & count this time. Call dispatch & let them know you were fatigued & had to stop, record it if you like, just let them know you are recording. Yellow can't reprimand you for being fatigued, BUT, they WILL reprimand you for delaying freight if you don't call them. I have NEVER been reprimanded for delaying freight when doing this. Yellow has been reprimanded for giving letters by the Federal courts & its part of public documents (I have a copy of this document stating so)

Companies only understand 1 WORD "MONEY" & when they start losing MONEY things change, especially with this new high dollar next day & time sensitive freight. Remember, a dispatcher is only as good as the drivers he dispatches, if you get my drift. If "EVERYONE" would start doing this & run legal, we have a chance, if we just want to bi!@# & complain & do nothing, WE DESREVE WHAT WE GET!!!

You have the support of half of the company that stay's there. I have complained twice already and I heard that COL was to send someone down there to investigate. NSH is the worst. No hot water, roaches, and prostitutes beating on your door at 3:00 am. Talked to the owner of the hotel and he denyies any of this. I will talk to my steward and I suggest you do the same. It is awful. I am just waiting to hear about a driver geting shot. Keep us posted.

Well so that you all know COL did send **** union reps to motel. found everything ok .

I hear from the BA yesterday that a new policy is being implemented. Once a motel passes an inspection it is good for 6 months. I think that it is called the Patel income security program

I hear from the BA yesterday that a new policy is being implemented. Once a motel passes an inspection it is good for 6 months. I think that it is called the Patel income security program

That has always been the policy for the Southern Region. If not, they would be making inspections everyday.

I do see the reason for the paper being filed on some Hotels. But the reason behind the policy is not having 1 driver who may run to that point once in a blue moon filing on a Hotel, while the other 99.9% of the other drivers have no problem with it and stay there all the time......KK

That has always been the policy for the Southern Region. If not, they would be making inspections everyday.

I do see the reason for the paper being filed on some Hotels. But the reason behind the policy is not having 1 driver who may run to that point once in a blue moon filing on a Hotel, while the other 99.9% of the other drivers have no problem with it and stay there all the time......KK

I can see that point to some extent, however, in the case of NSH the issue is not 0.01%. For some reason, at least in NSH, you can put a sign that says motel in front of a dog house and it will pass inspection. The Mercury leaps to mind. Clearly, Article 49 (Central Supplement) needs to be rewritten so that there is no ambiguity about what constitutes an acceptable motel. Repeated spider bites should certainly disqualify a motel, as should ongoing roof leaks. We had a lay point that would get 2 inches of water in the hallways when it rained, the quarry tile in the halls finally buckled.

Sorry, but some of the drivers I see are countrified, inbred, filthy, and wouldn't know a proper motel if it bit them in the butt.

They figure if they have inside plumbing they are living it up.

And if it has a bar, it will ALWAYS pass any union inspection.

Here is my suggestion for changes to our regional supplement regarding lodgings.

Proposal: Add the following.

Lodgings must be of a type that is predominantly utilized by the traveling public.

Lodgings that are used as temporary or transitional housing for local residents receiving public assistance (welfare), going through substance abuse treatment, etc. will not be utilized.

Lodgings with a history, as obtained through the local police department, of complaints regarding prostitution, narcotics trafficking, solicitation, and other offenses against the public good will not be utilized. Hotel operators wishing to participate in lodging employees covered by this contract agree to cooperate in background checks with local, county and/or state police agencies as applicable.

Lodgings that have any evidence of insect and/or vermin infestation will not be used. If the primary location for lodgings as selected by the employer is found to have such infestation, employee will be given the option of going to an alternate location OF THEIR CHOOSING at the expense of the company, to include all transportation costs.

Sorry, but some of the drivers I see are countrified, inbred, filthy, and wouldn't know a proper motel if it bit them in the butt.

They figure if they have inside plumbing they are living it up.

And if it has a bar, it will ALWAYS pass any union inspection.

Here is my suggestion for changes to our regional supplement regarding lodgings.

Proposal: Add the following.

Lodgings must be of a type that is predominantly utilized by the traveling public.

Lodgings that are used as temporary or transitional housing for local residents receiving public assistance (welfare), going through substance abuse treatment, etc. will not be utilized.

Lodgings with a history, as obtained through the local police department, of complaints regarding prostitution, narcotics trafficking, solicitation, and other offenses against the public good will not be utilized. Hotel operators wishing to participate in lodging employees covered by this contract agree to cooperate in background checks with local, county and/or state police agencies as applicable.

Lodgings that have any evidence of insect and/or vermin infestation will not be used. If the primary location for lodgings as selected by the employer is found to have such infestation, employee will be given the option of going to an alternate location OF THEIR CHOOSING at the expense of the company, to include all transportation costs.
Daggone Testpilot, that sounds almost like a swipe at your southern brethren...
Why didn't you go ahead and go the distance by saying that we date our cousins while you were at it?...

But to cut to the chase... Yeah, that's a great proposal you have authored... Did you submit it to your local as a contract proposal for our '08 contract?

By the way, our Article 48, (lodging) of the southern supplement reads almost verbatim as Article 75 (b) (lodging) as the NY/NJ supplement... Just throwed that in there to quash any misperceptions that you may have of the "countrified, cockeyed inbreds" down here... I hope that helps...

:redneck:

Daggone Testpilot, that sounds almost like a swipe at your southern brethren...
Why didn't you go ahead and go the distance by saying that we date our cousins while you were at it?...

But to cut to the chase... Yeah, that's a great proposal you have authored... Did you submit it to your local as a contract proposal for our '08 contract?

By the way, our Article 48, (lodging) of the southern supplement reads almost verbatim as Article 75 (b) (lodging) as the NY/NJ supplement... Just throwed that in there to quash any misperceptions that you may have of the "countrified, cockeyed inbreds" down here... I hope that helps...

:redneck:

You know, when I was younger, I really would have meant that as a swipe at the rural south. Now that I have more "life experience" I have found folks who meet that description, and even exceed it, in all 50 states and even in Canada.