Holland | Moving Freight Problems ??

wongway

-15% Yellow step-child supporter !!
Credits
Moving all this freight with a shortage of drivers seems to be getting worse?? so what is the Big picture plan here " Mr.Welch " on how to move freight & get Driver's when we are the lowest paid in the LTL Industry ?????:confused:

Moving all this freight with a shortage of drivers seems to be getting worse?? so what is the Big picture plan here " Mr.Welch " on how to move freight & get Driver's when we are the lowest paid in the LTL Industry ?????:confused:

Simple answer, 24/7/365 dispatch. If you have available hours and have not preferenced off, you will be working, PERIOD. Their delusion of grandeur is to hire 1000 drivers (Not going to happen, as you have pointed out our -15% wages that we are working under, but I must add that the -75% PENSION Benefits also come into play here. Who in their right mind would come to work here, while watching "Diamond Jim", "Jumpin Jamie", "Stealin Steph", "Slick Scotty" and the rest of the executive board PAY THEMSELVES BONUS'S when this corporation is $1.6 Billion dollars in debt. Sorry, but IMHO there should be no bonus until this corp posts at least 3 quarters of profit. This is just another way to rub it in for helping them out. Got a HUGE NEW FLASH for them, this corp will be in the dumper April 1, 2019, because they are not going to get anything more from the rank and file. We are all watching the cash burn right now, Sunday's out chasing freight, 500-600 miles EMPTY from KC to RO, JO, MI, on a daily basis. No money being spent on repairs BECAUSE the top has taken it all for their bonus. To the layman looking in, this place looks like a 3 alarm fire and hasn't paid for fire protection in the last 5 years. It's only a matter of time, we just don't know that time yet.

I must be the only guy that they are not working hard? I have had four Sundays in a row off and two of those weekends I got home before sun up on Saturday and had a nice long two and a half day weekend. I should probably knock on wood when saying this stuff, but I have had only one or two 600 mile nights in the last month. I am quite hungry and would actually not mind working a little harder, those mornings when you have only gone 480 miles and they tell you to go to the motel, well I would much rather run a couple more hours and spend a couple less hours in the motel. I run out of AP, but I am out in the system usually in Ohio or Michigan or somewhere like that, so I don't know why I do not see any of this 24/7/365 that you talk about? I am also amazed at the very few miles I run empty, a few weeks ago I ran 3200 miles and less than two hundred miles where empty, the only thing I can guess is that it makes a big difference in what terminal you call home. I don't know about what others think, this is only the third year with Holland, but I think I see a big improvement in how they utilize my truck compared to the last two summers, now you might tell me it was much better ten years ago, but I was working elsewhere so I can not compare it to then.

I figure it is just about time for a major COO at YRC and then we can pick up two or three hundred of their drivers that don't want to move but want to keep their pension going.

No problem getting drivers here. Putting men on daily. FYI Holland is moving a record amount of freight with this junk. And we are not the lowest paid in the industry. You trash YRCF on a regularly, why trash Holland. Don't get it. We get enough of that from outsiders. Your brother Griz.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

No problem getting drivers here. Putting men on daily. FYI Holland is moving a record amount of freight with this junk. And we are not the lowest paid in the industry. You trash YRCF on a regularly, why trash Holland. Don't get it. We get enough of that from outsiders. Your brother Griz.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
YES we are moving a record amount of freight with old junk , BUT disagree on the pay , Old Dom. $25. , Conway $26. , Dayton $23. , Fed Ex $26. and yrc/Holland $21. ??? if my Math is right that is lower ??? and Holland WAS the BEST to work for before YRC ruined us , so now I don't give a Hoot about Holland or YRC , just riding it to the end to collect unemployment checks when old yellow die's in the end !!!

YES we are moving a record amount of freight with old junk , BUT disagree on the pay , Old Dom. $25. , Conway $26. , Dayton $23. , Fed Ex $26. and yrc/Holland $21. ??? if my Math is right that is lower ??? and Holland WAS the BEST to work for before YRC ruined us , so now I don't give a Hoot about Holland or YRC , just riding it to the end to collect unemployment checks when old yellow die's in the end !!!

BINGO!!!Give this man a Cigar!! Right about our Competition's pay scale, his math is old school but CORRECT. As it goes for hauling freight, if the rate is there, then it can be a profitable venture. BUT, if they are hauling it for next to nothing (BTW I have observed 80 to 85% discounts applied to certain customers) EVERYBODY will clammer and beat down the doors to have you haul it for FREE.. Those wonderful "Blue Ribbons" have a terrible failure rate because of poor or NO planning, and that is the guarantee (On Time when specified, Intact and Damage Free or they don't pay). All you need to do is look at your terminal's performance board to see how your place did. What was the O/R for the day? On time deliveries? OS/D? Guarantee failures. It's all right there on the wall of each terminal. If you don't see it, ask them to show it to you.You will be amazed...

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot one Estes is at $25.00 with no overtime till after 55 hours, probably why I'm still a broke road driver that loves working the dock.

OD is no overtime pay

Simple answer, 24/7/365 dispatch. If you have available hours and have not preferenced off, you will be working, PERIOD. Their delusion of grandeur is to hire 1000 drivers (Not going to happen, as you have pointed out our -15% wages that we are working under, but I must add that the -75% PENSION Benefits also come into play here. Who in their right mind would come to work here, while watching "Diamond Jim", "Jumpin Jamie", "Stealin Steph", "Slick Scotty" and the rest of the executive board PAY THEMSELVES BONUS'S when this corporation is $1.6 Billion dollars in debt. Sorry, but IMHO there should be no bonus until this corp posts at least 3 quarters of profit. This is just another way to rub it in for helping them out. Got a HUGE NEW FLASH for them, this corp will be in the dumper April 1, 2019, because they are not going to get anything more from the rank and file. We are all watching the cash burn right now, Sunday's out chasing freight, 500-600 miles EMPTY from KC to RO, JO, MI, on a daily basis. No money being spent on repairs BECAUSE the top has taken it all for their bonus. To the layman looking in, this place looks like a 3 alarm fire and hasn't paid for fire protection in the last 5 years. It's only a matter of time, we just don't know that time yet.

I'll bet you were one of the "OH MY GOD THEY'LL SHUT IT DOWN KNUMB NUTS AND NOW ***** ABOUT IT GUY'S"
Do you really think they were NOT going to get a bonus?!

I mean REALLY?!

Is that what you thought?

Pull your head out of your _ss!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bet you kept saying "prove it" to the guy's that were trying to tell you about the raises & bonuses.

So I guess quit your bitchin'

Y'ALL VOTED FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

Y'ALL WILL KEEP VOTIN' FOR IT!!!!!!

WHY is everybody so worried about O.T. pay ?? like with Old Dom. maybe no OT pay BUT the rate is $25. hr & plus they have a 6% match for the 401-K , that YOU control NOT the union !!!!! and their is more to LIFE then working OT , ever thought about what it would be like to be at home more than at work ??? , with these 60 to 70 hrs weeks , you might as well be a OTR driver as all you do is go home sleep & shower for like 8-9 hrs & then back to working OT again ???

WHY is everybody so worried about O.T. pay ?? like with Old Dom. maybe no OT pay BUT the rate is $25. hr & plus they have a 6% match for the 401-K , that YOU control NOT the union !!!!! and their is more to LIFE then working OT , ever thought about what it would be like to be at home more than at work ??? , with these 60 to 70 hrs weeks , you might as well be a OTR driver as all you do is go home sleep & shower for like 8-9 hrs & then back to working OT again ???

You work the same hours over there but just arent compensated for doing it.

I'll bet you were one of the "OH MY GOD THEY'LL SHUT IT DOWN KNUMB NUTS AND NOW ***** ABOUT IT GUY'S"
Do you really think they were NOT going to get a bonus?!

I mean REALLY?!

Is that what you thought?

Pull your head out of your _ss!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bet you kept saying "prove it" to the guy's that were trying to tell you about the raises & bonuses.

So I guess quit your bitchin'

Y'ALL VOTED FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

Y'ALL WILL KEEP VOTIN' FOR IT!!!!!!

Sorry to inform you that I WASN'T ONE that voted for it. Maybe you need to extract your cranial holder from your anal cavity and take a look at my avatar. I seen this dance before.............

Wong you seriously need an intervention. Unbelievable OT statement. I'm leaving it at that because it speaks volumes to your mindset.

The match in a 401 k is never YOUR's! . . . just ask Hostess Employees.

The match in a 401 k is never YOUR's! . . . just ask Hostess Employees.

Ok ,maybe so , BUT if Hostess won't have went under they would have had it right ?? and IF you don't like my idea of a matching 401-k, WHAT is your idea of what would be a good plan ??? as you read in the last letter our plan not working ????

The Central States Pension Fund is underfunded because of Congressional tinkering in late 70's and 80's. . . same kind of tinkering Congress did with the the Post Office pension which has put the Post Office in the Red.

The Central States Pension Fund will shake out just like the UAW fund is now. Once you turn old enough for S.S. your pension will be reduced by the amount you receive in Social Security benefits.

Ex: If you are due $3000/mo under Central States and your S.S. is $1900/mo, your Central States benefit will be reduced by $1900/mo. so your combined pension totals $3000/mo. ($1,100 CS + $1900 SS)

You would have need +$400,000 in a 401k to just to equal the reduced Central States Pension.

So take a deep breath . . . the world is not coming to an end. Not just yet anyway.

If you dwell on this stuff all the time, like a dog with an old bone, you will just make yourself sick. Then it won't matter because you won't be around to collect a pension from either Central States or a 401k.

You work the same hours over there but just arent compensated for doing it.

50 hours a week is what most of our city drivers are getting. They should get overtime, I'm not gonna argue that. What I will say is that the regulations governing overtime at the government level is what needs to change. The company is operating well within their rights according to current rules in place by the government. They aren't going to change, and before you say it, the union wouldn't help. Overtime is the only gripe I have with OD, because I am treated with respect, compensated above what most other ltl carriers pay, and I don't have to worry if I have a job tomorrow.