SAIA | My Thought

Shot your brains out yet?

you show what a class act you are moron. cripes. hopefully you aren't raising any children. more of you would be a shame. grow up boy. this will be my last response to you as anything else I have to say would blow up the profanity filter in the site. You have already shown me who you are in your 1st response.

Yeah really, the Teamsters union hasn't been worth crap for years now. The only benefit the union companies still have over us is free healthcare, but by the time you factor in all the other BS (like the 15% give back at YRC or working 7 years to get more than a weeks vacation time at ABF) I'd rather just pay my $37.50 for healthcare.

Yeah really, the Teamsters union hasn't been worth crap for years now. The only benefit the union companies still have over us is free healthcare, but by the time you factor in all the other BS (like the 15% give back at YRC or working 7 years to get more than a weeks vacation time at ABF) I'd rather just pay my $37.50 for healthcare.

there are a lot of misconceptions about the teamsters union. those who have the pension coming in would say otherwise. a agree with you on the YRC thing but that's something the drivers' and ware houseman agreed to. also the not paying pension money was another thing the employees agreed to. oh well.

there are a lot of misconceptions about the teamsters union. those who have the pension coming in would say otherwise. a agree with you on the YRC thing but that's something the drivers' and ware houseman agreed to. also the not paying pension money was another thing the employees agreed to. oh well.
Well, I'm glad it worked out for you and some others. But here at SAIA and R+L for that matter the union has no place. Let's drop it and move on.

Sounds to me like "nobody's" was on a fishing expedition starting this thread. But what do I know.

What about UPSF and UPS? Theyre union arent they?
Not to mention many unionized redi mix companies that pay $30 an hour with time and a half after 8/40.

And even YRC and ABF have many advantages like delay pay, breakdown pay without giving up an hour or two first etc over most non unions.

What about UPSF and UPS? Theyre union arent they?
Not to mention many unionized redi mix companies that pay $30 an hour with time and a half after 8/40.

And even YRC and ABF have many advantages like delay pay, breakdown pay without giving up an hour or two first etc over most non unions.

one thing about people who are anti union. that's their personal opinion. I don't try to change their minds just want to give them an INFORMED analysis on reality. I have been on many committees dealing with union vs companies contract negotiations and it's apparent many if not most are already pre disposed to their opinion and I for one am fine with that. I am not hear to say go union because most are too old to enjoy the benefit of the health and welfare benefits now. I joined in my early 20's. Excellent healthcare with a 5.00 copay in the 70's. 10 in the 80's and 90's. and then 20 copay in the 2000's. all free. well above average pay overtime and double time. Bids on starting times and runs which were not bendable. equipment also. things have changed due to companies like consolidated freightways starting up non union conway and literally pulling the plug on 50000 consolidated drivers and ware houseman. all calculated. that wasn't the union. that was the company. all legal too. also companies like YRC not paying the pension benefit. what a joke, don't you guys at saia realize it was because the union had a foothold that saia agreed to pay overtime? if you don't you should ask around. so while you bash the union you should be kissing their backside for you getting ot after 45. enough said in this paragraph. have a good night.

one thing about people who are anti union. that's their personal opinion. I don't try to change their minds just want to give them an INFORMED analysis on reality. I have been on many committees dealing with union vs companies contract negotiations and it's apparent many if not most are already pre disposed to their opinion and I for one am fine with that. I am not hear to say go union because most are too old to enjoy the benefit of the health and welfare benefits now. I joined in my early 20's. Excellent healthcare with a 5.00 copay in the 70's. 10 in the 80's and 90's. and then 20 copay in the 2000's. all free. well above average pay overtime and double time. Bids on starting times and runs which were not bendable. equipment also. things have changed due to companies like consolidated freightways starting up non union conway and literally pulling the plug on 50000 consolidated drivers and ware houseman. all calculated. that wasn't the union. that was the company. all legal too. also companies like YRC not paying the pension benefit. what a joke, don't you guys at saia realize it was because the union had a foothold that saia agreed to pay overtime? if you don't you should ask around. so while you bash the union you should be kissing their backside for you getting ot after 45. enough said in this paragraph. have a good night.

As you pointed out lots of people have their mind made up when it comes to the union. Lots have been brought up hating the union and now will not change their mind for anything.
I have worked for a few union and non union companies and i currently work for a union company. And in my experience the best jobs i had were with the union companies. I was always paid well with good benefits, and was never worried about losing my job for a mistake or something along the lines of that.

At non union the pay and benefits were mediocre at best, and the union haters always thought they had it great.

The Teamsters do need to do some internal cleansing and is not perfect. But as a union member you can make that happen. When corruption, greed plagues the company you work for you have no say. Youre at their mercy without a union.

Union presence and influence in the trucking industry has allowed it to achieve the level it has today. If it weren't for the union, God knows what wages would be, but it wouldn't be upwards if $20 hourly. Each LTL company has needed to adjust, in driver favor, because of the Union. Now, the union is not as strong today as it once was. LTL companies constantly preach against unions because they don't want to have to change their business models. Saia can't afford to pay drivers over $30/hour without changing model. And by changing model, that would mean cleaning house in the management sector. As drivers, we shouldn't forget that while the union is now "taboo" and evil and something to be feared, it's the union that helped us get here.

As you pointed out lots of people have their mind made up when it comes to the union. Lots have been brought up hating the union and now will not change their mind for anything.
I have worked for a few union and non union companies and i currently work for a union company. And in my experience the best jobs i had were with the union companies. I was always paid well with good benefits, and was never worried about losing my job for a mistake or something along the lines of that.

At non union the pay and benefits were mediocre at best, and the union haters always thought they had it great.

The Teamsters do need to do some internal cleansing and is not perfect. But as a union member you can make that happen. When corruption, greed plagues the company you work for you have no say. Youre at their mercy without a union.

perfectly said.

Union presence and influence in the trucking industry has allowed it to achieve the level it has today. If it weren't for the union, God knows what wages would be, but it wouldn't be upwards if $20 hourly. Each LTL company has needed to adjust, in driver favor, because of the Union. Now, the union is not as strong today as it once was. LTL companies constantly preach against unions because they don't want to have to change their business models. Saia can't afford to pay drivers over $30/hour without changing model. And by changing model, that would mean cleaning house in the management sector. As drivers, we shouldn't forget that while the union is now "taboo" and evil and something to be feared, it's the union that helped us get here.

nailed it.

I had a great night. Had a could of beers a dozed right off.

I'm not anti-union at all, I'm actually pretty neutral when it comes to unions. I think the Teamsters is a shell of a union today, and joining their ranks right now offers no benefit in my eyes. I had applications in at ABF and UPS Freight at the same time as Saia, and there were several reasons I chose Saia over the other two. Mostly ABF's ridiculous vacation time schedule and UPSF's contract language that lets them use purchase transportation while the majority of their extra board sits at home.

I'm far from a company man, and if the Teamsters could offer me something that was worth having, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Right now it doesn't seem like that's the case.