ODFL | new freightliners

Still Doesn't pull with the cruise.We run the cruise about 90-95% of the time.
Tm said he'd email parsons about it.I had 2 of the older day cabs run off and leave me in the hills. I had 15,000 and a mty
sounds like something is not right with the truck. when I first started driving them If I started up a hill with the cruise off the truck will die down to like 45mph.. on the same hill with cruise on it would hold 55mph. that has been pretty consistant between all the new trucks I've driven.

I saw one of the new OD Cascadia day cab screws in the business park on the way to my terminal earlier today. Read sharp looking truck, I'm surprised no ones posted any pix of it yet on here. I'll try to get down to the OD break bulk and see if they got them lined up. Last time I rolled past, I caught some pix of the newer Volvos.

Its good to see the Cascadia daycabs out there, but OD from what I've seen over the years has favored Freightliner, Columbias, FLD's, etc. anyways, take it easy and stay safe...

you got that a little wrong. with the power switch off it kills all power to the truck. if you turn the power switch off before turning the key switch off it will blow the one headlight.

Thats what the email read before we even got the trucks and besides who in their right mind would turn the switch off in the floor before turning the ignition key off? That makes no sense!

Thats what the email read before we even got the trucks and besides who in their right mind would turn the switch off in the floor before turning the ignition key off? That makes no sense!

I didn't read that, but I believe you. I guess they just don't wanna replace a bunch of headlights lol.. oh and I stand corrected on the headlight thing. the mechanic told me it actually blows both headlights. he was telling me about someone who got there glove or something caught on the switch and when they pulled the glove out they turn the switch blowing both headlights.

A bit late, but I wanted to share what I've heard.

Many of the new units will be shipped to the northwest region to replace the aging Bob's and Priority units.

My advice to you is to avoid the Cascadia for a bit. The ones we have had have been riddled with trouble. Many electrical problems to be hashed out. Something like eight ECUs in those bad boys. Yes they drive nice. But unless you like waiting for roadside, you might want to let the bugs get worked out. Aside from that, none of our DD15 engines have gone more than a couple weeks at a time without a problem. Just like Caterpillar, Detroit is struggling to make the emissions control function properly.

Make love to the 2005, and 2006 units. Those are gold!

Long,Long,Longgggg day in a new tractor

Got to drive a brand new 2010 Cascadia while my '07 is getting a new air dryer and compressor and I was looking forward to driving it on my WIC-GOK turn,godahell bobtailed it down from KCY (203mi on the clock)and this was gonna be its first revenue mileage gave my self some time to look over the operating features(lots of switches)fired that bad boy up!actually i had to cool my heels for a three second delay from when you turn the key to when the starter engages,driving over to my hooked set there was a warning chime sounding,no malfunction light just a chime and it kept doing this after I hooked up:ranting2:so I called PAR shop(wasn't gonna listen to that for the next 10.5 hours)the tech told me to open the window and slam the door,gave it a medium slam! still doing it,grabbed the door with both hands and braced with my feet and gave it the GRAND SLAM!!sucess stopped chiming(wonder how long the electric mirrors/window controls are gonna last with that kind of abuse)Ready to go,light winds sunny skies got 25k in the lead 18k on the drag,so I'll have a good idea of what she'll do,first thing I noticed after i got up to speed was how quiet this tractor was very little noise comming from the engine and NO wind noise!!has a Freight liner badge on the steering wheel,never been in Freightshaker with out wind noise got on to I-135 set the cruise and kicked back,man that thing sure rode nice!got to Salina made the big turn(got to use the Jake!) on to I-70w,here's whereI ran into my first disappointment,the way the 135/70 jct.is set up to go 70westbound you come around a cloverleaf ramp with a yield for exiting traffic, at the end of the entry ramp you almost have to come to a complete stop then accelerate on to I-70 and climb a small hill at the same time.Talk about weak !!every hill turned out to be an ordeal for this anemic beast of burden the two fair sized hills I have on my run at mm227(the one with the wind mills)and mm220 I had to drop two gears on each hill and was doing serious lugging on engine even then!I hate to think about these things out west,any way got it back up to speed and relaxed for next couple of hours,at mm95 looked out my right window and to my shock it and my mirror were covered with fluid! stopped to check it was diesel fuel pouring out from under the engine!this was a bad place to be parked so I headed to exit 93 parked and called road rescue they sent out a mechcanic from Oakley he couldn't find parts so I sat It was finally decided to send a wrecker.A driver came out of GOK to get my trailers and I waited for my tow. I got to Grainfield(name of the town)at 1345 the tow truck left there,with our new tractor with 460 miles on the odometer and me in the passenger seat at 2030 taking both of us back to WIC by midnight(probaly the fastest that tractor willever go,the tow driver was standing on it!)not a good start for these tractors.

Got to drive a brand new 2010 Cascadia while my '07 is getting a new air dryer and compressor and I was looking forward to driving it on my WIC-GOK turn,godahell bobtailed it down from KCY (203mi on the clock)and this was gonna be its first revenue mileage gave my self some time to look over the operating features(lots of switches)fired that bad boy up!actually i had to cool my heels for a three second delay from when you turn the key to when the starter engages,driving over to my hooked set there was a warning chime sounding,no malfunction light just a chime and it kept doing this after I hooked up:ranting2:so I called PAR shop(wasn't gonna listen to that for the next 10.5 hours)the tech told me to open the window and slam the door,gave it a medium slam! still doing it,grabbed the door with both hands and braced with my feet and gave it the GRAND SLAM!!sucess stopped chiming(wonder how long the electric mirrors/window controls are gonna last with that kind of abuse)Ready to go,light winds sunny skies got 25k in the lead 18k on the drag,so I'll have a good idea of what she'll do,first thing I noticed after i got up to speed was how quiet this tractor was very little noise comming from the engine and NO wind noise!!has a Freight liner badge on the steering wheel,never been in Freightshaker with out wind noise got on to I-135 set the cruise and kicked back,man that thing sure rode nice!got to Salina made the big turn(got to use the Jake!) on to I-70w,here's whereI ran into my first disappointment,the way the 135/70 jct.is set up to go 70westbound you come around a cloverleaf ramp with a yield for exiting traffic, at the end of the entry ramp you almost have to come to a complete stop then accelerate on to I-70 and climb a small hill at the same time.Talk about weak !!every hill turned out to be an ordeal for this anemic beast of burden the two fair sized hills I have on my run at mm227(the one with the wind mills)and mm220 I had to drop two gears on each hill and was doing serious lugging on engine even then!I hate to think about these things out west,any way got it back up to speed and relaxed for next couple of hours,at mm95 looked out my right window and to my shock it and my mirror were covered with fluid! stopped to check it was diesel fuel pouring out from under the engine!this was a bad place to be parked so I headed to exit 93 parked and called road rescue they sent out a mechcanic from Oakley he couldn't find parts so I sat It was finally decided to send a wrecker.A driver came out of GOK to get my trailers and I waited for my tow. I got to Grainfield(name of the town)at 1345 the tow truck left there,with our new tractor with 460 miles on the odometer and me in the passenger seat at 2030 taking both of us back to WIC by midnight(probaly the fastest that tractor willever go,the tow driver was standing on it!)not a good start for these tractors.
i know of two other drivers out of mrt that have had the same problem with the 2009 cascadia daycabs i drove a columbia with the new motor last week and it ran great ran good pulled good and got about a 1 mile to a 1 and a half miles more per gallon then my 2006 cat my 2006 wouldn't get but 5.5 mpg with empties i got 7.25 mpg with the new truck between den and kcy with two 14k trailors you couldn't do that with the old trucks

Yeah it was quite a suprise to see fuel blowing out of the fuel filter water drain hose,its got an unusal set up it has three fuel filters in a cluster mounted on the engine next to the fuel pump at least thats what I think it was,the engine is a monsterous looking thing it looks much larger than our Cats, and series 60 Detroits,and a lot more complex, it has a lot of exposed plumbing, the sheer size and complexity of this engine(looks impressive!)was the main reason I was so disapointed with its anemic performance in the hills.

Yeah it was quite a suprise to see fuel blowing out of the fuel filter water drain hose,its got an unusal set up it has three fuel filters in a cluster mounted on the engine next to the fuel pump at least thats what I think it was,the engine is a monsterous looking thing it looks much larger than our Cats, and series 60 Detroits,and a lot more complex, it has a lot of exposed plumbing, the sheer size and complexity of this engine(looks impressive!)was the main reason I was so disapointed with its anemic performance in the hills.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you need to work on your shifting. I drive the cascadias daily and they do take some serious getting used to. unless you had a really lousy truck. anyways I grossed 80k and then some last nite 'we won't worry about the few extra lbs'. I ran 10th gear on cruise nearly the whole way from RIC - HAR 238miles. granted I know there are much bigger hills out there.

not to sound like smart *** or anything. but you have to match the rpms perfect when dropping gears on these trucks or they will fall flat on there face. don't even bother coming out of 10th gear until your doing atleast 45pmh. you can physically get it into 9th at 50 -55mph but the truck will cut the fuel and by the time it catches back up you'll be looking for 8th. trust me on this let the truck run on cruise and it pulls better. let the cruise on until it basically won't go anymore ;) . btw it's a 450 horse detroit under the hood. and it will pull all day long at 10k

and the trucks labled 2450xxx are still 09 I believe last door sticker I read said a manufactured date of 03/2009. OD prolly ran outa numbers ;)

well hope something I said helps.

and the trucks labled 2450xxx are still 09 I believe last door sticker I read said a manufactured date of 03/2009. OD prolly ran outa numbers ;)

well hope something I said helps.
Those are 2010 models even though they are made in 09 they have always changed models early in the year if they had ran out of numbers they would have just went back to the 275 numbers also you are correct about using the cruise and not coming out of 10th until 45 mph

Hillbilly's right the registration said it was a '10
I'm not infallible but don't know if it was my shifting,I didn't downshift until the RPM's sunk below 1000 that would put me at 45 mph,and if it'll pull all day why would I be downshifting anyway?I'm pretty lazy,if weather and traffic flows permit the cruise control is on,Its likely that that fuel I found gushing out of my engine 153 miles down the road might have explained it's poor performance.I won't be finding out any time soon if it runs better,
I was just going to use the tractor until mine was repaired,Its regular driver now has it,my '07 has only395,000mi on it I won't get a new one too soon.
On a more positive note;Road rescue was responsive(hasn't always seemed the case)my mechanic was sent from Oakley 25 mi away,he showed up 45 minutes later,unfortunately they don't control parts availability in the Kansas outback.
More good news!the newer tractors are equiped with an outside temperature sensor if the temperature out side sinks below 32f or above 90f the engine's computer will overide the automatic shutdown,if the highways shutdown waiting for the snowplows you'll be able to take a nap.(beats the heck out of hitting the throttle/clutch every 5 minutes)I'm not sure what the need for the 90+ feature is for,however I might be of a different opinion stuck in a PHX traffic jam this summer.

Hillbilly's right the registration said it was a '10
I'm not infallible but don't know if it was my shifting,I didn't downshift until the RPM's sunk below 1000 that would put me at 45 mph,and if it'll pull all day why would I be downshifting anyway?I'm pretty lazy,if weather and traffic flows permit the cruise control is on,Its likely that that fuel I found gushing out of my engine 153 miles down the road might have explained it's poor performance.I won't be finding out any time soon if it runs better,
I was just going to use the tractor until mine was repaired,Its regular driver now has it,my '07 has only395,000mi on it I won't get a new one too soon.
On a more positive note;Road rescue was responsive(hasn't always seemed the case)my mechanic was sent from Oakley 25 mi away,he showed up 45 minutes later,unfortunately they don't control parts availability in the Kansas outback.
More good news!the newer tractors are equiped with an outside temperature sensor if the temperature out side sinks below 32f or above 90f the engine's computer will overide the automatic shutdown,if the highways shutdown waiting for the snowplows you'll be able to take a nap.(beats the heck out of hitting the throttle/clutch every 5 minutes)I'm not sure what the need for the 90+ feature is for,however I might be of a different opinion stuck in a PHX traffic jam this summer.

under the circumstances it's entirely likely the truck had more problems than driving habit. as far as the model year I honestly never looked at the truck year on the registration. I will say that I have noticed the 10's seem to run better to begin with than the 9's. when we first got the cascadias all but a select few ran pretty sluggish until they got close to 10k miles on em then ran great. most of us attributed it to the break in oil getting worked out. however every 2010 cascadia seemed to run good with only 1,000 mile on em.

who knows.