XPO | New Guy

Man....what a day I had Friday. It was one of those days that you just want to forget about, so I'm going to do the next best thing.....tell the internet about it lol...

I get the call from my dispatcher, "hey man, 1 of 1 to indy" I'm thinking, sweet...early day! Get to work, find the truck I'm taking, hook up trailers, everything going great! Get to driving, can't keep the freakin set in my lane. Wasn't tired, didn't seem like it was too windy, just weaving....a lot....no explanation. Brush it off jeff...no big deal. Get to indy, break set, nothing new. Was circling the building to park my truck/dolly, truck wanted to chug and lurch the whole way around the building, didn't matter what gear I was in.. oh well.

Get inside, punch in, get a lift, ask my sector leader some questions, then get at it. Was looking around my dock area to see what I have so far, where am I gonna put stuff, pretty much get a game plan. Okay....start loading, and stuff starts going crazy, I start getting freight from left and right, normally that's great! Get your stuff, load it, go home! I couldn't keep up! "hey Danville, I get 6 of these, 8 of these 9 of these" Holy "s" word! So, whatever, start cleaning my area, loading my stuff. Leader comes up to me and says "want to do a drop/hook to Columbus" I said sure.. Hook set, do paperwork etc, no big deal. Get to my exit, couldn't find my turn, pull a couple u-turns, pull over, pull it up on google maps, find it, drop, hook, head back....awesome! I-65 north between Columbus and indy is an incredibly bumpy, frustrating road.

Anywho. Get to indy, drop set, all my trailers are full, sweet! Hook and go. So I'm leaving the fac on my way to the interstate, well, I'm not sure what happened but I missed my turn, have to stop, pull another U-turn, back in the right direction. Pull up to a stop light, turns green, try to put her in gear and go, but no...didn't want to go into gear, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. DAMNIT JEFF, forgot to flip the splitter switch, such a new guy lol... So finally get going, coming up to the spot in the road where I turn on to I-70 east. There are 4 lanes 2 are turn lanes and 2 keep going straight, well in between these lanes is a small raised concrete median, no more than a couple inches tall, but tall enough to really get your back box dancing when you hit it. I swear to the good Lord above, that box was coming over. I knew it was there and I knew it was coming up, I just....hit it...of course I'm going to get a coaching now, on how to NOT hit raised concrete medians. The Sysco driver behind me was prolly laughing his butt off. Finally make it back to our barn with no further incidents. Get home tell my wife and kids I love them very much and then went to bed lol. Thanks for listening!
Sounds like you were trucking; trucker! I think we all have been there

Keep your eye on the prize worked in the food service biz for 25 years took a toll on my body came over to conway never looked back have no complaints about this job hear lots of complaints from guys about this job wish I had come over a long time ago this is the eaisist job good pay sure something's could be better I put in around 17 hrs a nite and I love my job couldn't say that before yea I left a great paying job had all the goodies people here complain they lost here we lost them there too still get a pension at 55 if I want or wait to 65 lost 6 week vacation but would do it again to work a job where I liked coming to work every day it's not conway job to make me happy or to save me it's my job just take your time double then triple check your hooks be careful ask lots of questions bunch of good people here at conway I just about to hit my 1year mark God bless and appreciate the opportunity this company has afforded your family.
17 hours a night???? Really!!!!!! You call that good, I hope that was a typo???

17 hours a night???? Really!!!!!! You call that good, I hope that was a typo???[/QUOTE
Well considering 5 1/2 hrs driving 5 1/2 in sleeper every other week about 5 on the dock between two terminals get to work 45 minutes early making bank and not breaking a dam sweat no kids at home all grown just me and the wife four dogs live on the lake fish when ever I want the eaiset job you could have and get paid this money yep I really said that all depends on how you look at the glass after 25 years in food service this is cake and I like cake

Almost 3 months and still at it. Got my uniforms, now I look like I fit in! Everything is going great, but "positive paul" left to get something to eat and "negative ned" is kicking down the door. Let me explain, actually let me say this first, I know I'm the new guy and I'm going to get the short end of the stick a lot of times. Anywho, so there was a guy that started like 2 days before me, thing is, he didn't have his CDL, he went to Indy to get his CDL, but because he got his "letter" before me means he is going to have his pick of what he wants (line haul or city) which means I'm going to get whatever he doesn't want. Come to find out, he chose P&D, so in the end I made a mountain out of a mole hill. No big deal.

For the (almost) 3 months I've been here, I've been incredibly blessed to get to work every single night. Money has been fantastic, got to build myself a new gaming PC, which I've had almost zero time to play it, lol. Well, the past 2 of 3 nights, I've had no runs...sadface. Now to be fair they have given me work, not as much as a line haul run would have paid, but work none the less. Then as I come in tonight to do some local stuff, they tell me I'm going to be going to city next week...I said o...okay. We are supposed to be hiring 2 more drivers, so hopefully P&D won't be a permanent thing. I'm hoping it's just because people are going on vacation. Oh well rant (if you want to call it that) over. thanks for reading!

Almost 3 months and still at it. Got my uniforms, now I look like I fit in! Everything is going great, but "positive paul" left to get something to eat and "negative ned" is kicking down the door. Let me explain, actually let me say this first, I know I'm the new guy and I'm going to get the short end of the stick a lot of times. Anywho, so there was a guy that started like 2 days before me, thing is, he didn't have his CDL, he went to Indy to get his CDL, but because he got his "letter" before me means he is going to have his pick of what he wants (line haul or city) which means I'm going to get whatever he doesn't want. Come to find out, he chose P&D, so in the end I made a mountain out of a mole hill. No big deal.

For the (almost) 3 months I've been here, I've been incredibly blessed to get to work every single night. Money has been fantastic, got to build myself a new gaming PC, which I've had almost zero time to play it, lol. Well, the past 2 of 3 nights, I've had no runs...sadface. Now to be fair they have given me work, not as much as a line haul run would have paid, but work none the less. Then as I come in tonight to do some local stuff, they tell me I'm going to be going to city next week...I said o...okay. We are supposed to be hiring 2 more drivers, so hopefully P&D won't be a permanent thing. I'm hoping it's just because people are going on vacation. Oh well rant (if you want to call it that) over. thanks for reading!
Glad you stuck it out. Yeah, the offer letter thing can be a **** off; just remember to fill out your bid sheet for what you want, not what's available. Things can change in a heartbeat. Stick it out; you will fit in here fine.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Got a txt to come in at 1100, which I thought was weird. Normally I don't get to come in until 1600. I was think "yeah! maybe things are turning around" until I called a couple of my buddies to see if they had gotten contacted yet. Nope! lol. Told my wife, that I think I'm getting let go. Sure enough, go into bosses office, got the typical "due to the economy blah blah blah, but we have to let you go." I've been on city since the rebid, and I got 40 hours once, and that was when I worked on a Saturday. Normally 25-30 hours. Doesn't matter how much you get per hours, that isn't going to cut it. It got to the point to where I didn't even get to see the inside of the truck for a week at a time. Pretty depressing. I truly enjoyed my job, it had it's moments but I genuinely looked forward to going to work.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Got a txt to come in at 1100, which I thought was weird. Normally I don't get to come in until 1600. I was think "yeah! maybe things are turning around" until I called a couple of my buddies to see if they had gotten contacted yet. Nope! lol. Told my wife, that I think I'm getting let go. Sure enough, go into bosses office, got the typical "due to the economy blah blah blah, but we have to let you go." I've been on city since the rebid, and I got 40 hours once, and that was when I worked on a Saturday. Normally 25-30 hours. Doesn't matter how much you get per hours, that isn't going to cut it. It got to the point to where I didn't even get to see the inside of the truck for a week at a time. Pretty depressing. I truly enjoyed my job, it had it's moments but I genuinely looked forward to going to work.
That sucks man. Feel for you. Don't let it get you down. Think of this experience as a learning one. Your driving record is good, start popping into the other ltl's. You will get picked up quick.

Yeah, it sucked pretty bad, cause we just bought a house closer to work lol. I was prepared though, because I could see the writing on the wall. I had put in an app to another job. I got a job at Autozone, so I guess it all worked out. It was getting pretty bad at our barn, with morale being low, lots of hostility etc. I had a couple of friends of mine that were my senior and I was starting to resent them badly. petty? yes, but I have a family to support too. As they say, when the Lord closes one door, he opens up another!

Yeah, it sucked pretty bad, cause we just bought a house closer to work lol. I was prepared though, because I could see the writing on the wall. I had put in an app to another job. I got a job at Autozone, so I guess it all worked out. It was getting pretty bad at our barn, with morale being low, lots of hostility etc. I had a couple of friends of mine that were my senior and I was starting to resent them badly. petty? yes, but I have a family to support too. As they say, when the Lord closes one door, he opens up another!

You mean you're gonna drive a trailer for Autozone or be a parts guy? If it's retail support I bet you're gonna like it a lot better than Con-job. I drove Ace Hardware for like 10 years, I liked it much better than ltl, especially C/W.

yea it's a kick in the nuts for sure. You got the call in for 1100 cause the SCM wanted to go home at 1600. I bet you were also told if we rehire you will start all over again. That what they said to the 3 dockworks let go at my barn. This is going to bit them in the ass and it already has at my barn. We are now getting 2 part time dockworkers even though a few months ago they let 3 go that knew what they were doing.
Good luck and keep your driving record clean and you can get a driving job anywhere

yea it's a kick in the nuts for sure. You got the call in for 1100 cause the SCM wanted to go home at 1600. I bet you were also told if we rehire you will start all over again. That what they said to the 3 dockworks let go at my barn. This is going to bit them in the ass and it already has at my barn. We are now getting 2 part time dockworkers even though a few months ago they let 3 go that knew what they were doing.
Good luck and keep your driving record clean and you can get a driving job anywhere
Yeah, he was like "now if you change your phone number or anything, let us know and we'll get ya back on here" Thanks but no thanks lol.

Sucks to be laid off dude. Luckily there are much better places to drive for than Con-Way. Took me almost 7 years to figure that out.

And what are the names of these said places...?. We seem to be at the top of the pay scale/income for LTL companies, of course that's due to the dock hours, but what other companies offer anything more or better than XPO...? Again, dock hours notwithstanding...

And what are the names of these said places...?. We seem to be at the top of the pay scale/income for LTL companies, of course that's due to the dock hours, but what other companies offer anything more or better than XPO...? Again, dock hours notwithstanding...
I'm a truck driver ... Not a dock worker. Any company that forces their drivers to work the dock sucks IMO. OD and SAIA doesn't ... It's not always about the money for me. It's about me enjoying my job. I like driving. I can't stand dock work.

Yep we got guys out of our barn that run 590 miles a nite and works the dock 2-3 hrs every nite. None of them ever run out of time. Go figure