FedEx Freight | NEW Kenworth T660 tractors.

imported_River17

TB Veteran
Credits
I have to tip my hat to the Vice President of Maintenance for buying these
Kenworth T660 for better fuel mileage and better looks. GREAT JOB.

2zxt6he.jpg

9szc5g.jpg

Rumor out of the shop is that 300 T660's are headed to Western facilities in the next few weeks...
And our old numbering system reportedly died with the west...
So no more 7 digit numbers for us in the West. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

:shift:

And these tractors have the BIGGER extended bolt on back of cab for more leg room and storage room.
Now we are talking BUSINESS.
Nothing like going FIRST CLASS. :clap::clap::clap:

That's an awful lot of fragile parts to be ripped up while doing P/D!!!!!!!! :TR10driving03:

I have to assume that the Director of Maintenance, after seeing my Avatar
for all these many months, went and ordered these T660 trucks because they come the closest to the Mercedes Benz grille. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

2zxt6he.jpg

x5vyia.jpg

Dont work for you guys, so I dont have the pleasure of driving such a small versatile tractor! But from experience of working at LTL's throughout my life you know there's going to be someone from city jumping into one of those bad boys for a joy ride!!!

Dont work for you guys, so I dont have the pleasure of driving such a small versatile tractor! But from experience of working at LTL's throughout my life you know there's going to be someone from city jumping into one of those bad boys for a joy ride!!!

BillyLo :clap:

Well........
I can tell that you speak from experience.
But now they started to assign bid tractors to P&D folks,
so they drive the same equipment all the time.

Assigned trucks?? What is that? You ol' boys say you got it bad over here! Thanks for letting me converse over here. Pretty dead on the OD board.

Assigned trucks?? What is that? You ol' boys say you got it bad over here! Thanks for letting me converse over here. Pretty dead on the OD board.

BillyLo :clap:

I can only speak for the West part, which used to be Viking.
As line drivers we always had bid trucks, that we bid by company seniority
and not domicile seniority in case you moved in the past and had to start at bottom of line board again.
The drivers in the triples lanes used to get new trucks just about every year.
(Oregon, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, Washington, Idaho) Because Viking was based out of San Jose, CA. the California drivers always would get the one year old hand me down trucks, due to tax reasons California drivers had to wait at least one year for used trucks.
With a bid truck we could install our own CB coax and XM radio antenna, and cell phone external antenna and other goodies.
Now we get our new trucks with the CB coax pre-installed and we are not allowed to do too many alterations. In the old days Viking would let you keep your old air ride seat and transfer it to your new bid truck.

I see that OD is buying Freightliner Cascadias now.
How do you like them??? Or the Freightliner Columbia???
We always had Kenworth T800 for the last 14 years or so. Before that we had KW T600 day cabs. All single axle.
The Freight East guys have Volvos, International and KW.
But us here in the West we only run Kenworth.

At least you don't have to drive a Sterling like Conway.
Luckily Sterlings are no longer being made.

The Columbia is a good little tractor for the work we do. It's not anything fancy like the stuff FXF runs, but they're great for running p/d and then throwing onto a line run at night.

I drove a new Cascadia just the other day. It was set up for fuel saving which was a disappointment because the truck was cut back so much. But for a freightliner I must say it was a big change. Real quiet on the inside with a ton of room. I wouldn't mind spending the night in one for a long line trip, but for P/D the truck just seems a little too fragile to take all the abuse we put them through.

I looked at the T-660 at the shop in Day and it looks just like my T-800 on the inside, I do like the front ends alot better for looks and the steps are wider than on the T-800.
The only thing is watch your bird perches they will break if you choose to put your own antenna out there. Mine cracked after about year and half and I just run a 5.5 francis. I really wish they would have run the coax the way it should have been down on the mirror and you could put a pair of francis and been done, but it's not my decesion so there you go, but for a freight truck it's nice!! just wish they would let us have a wash bay to keep it clean!!LOL

Heard we are getting 5 Macks to try out also and more 13 letter $hit spreaders!!(international) 1,200 trailers coming too I guess.

I have a newer T-800 myself. The antenna brackets crack through the hole in the flat part of the bracket.
The Fix: Put a bolt through the whole with Fender washers on both sides to stiffen up this part of the bracket.

I have a newer T-800 myself. The antenna brackets crack through the hole in the flat part of the bracket.
The Fix: Put a bolt through the whole with Fender washers on both sides to stiffen up this part of the bracket.

Jinx40 :clap:

I guess you guys in the East have been using the aerodynamic mirrors for awhile now.
For us in the West we always had the west coast mirrors and brackets that allowed you to bolt on the old type antenna brackets.
With our set up we had a hole on both sides of the roof above the doors where the cb coax ran out to the mirror brackets.
But with this new style mirror brackets we will have to look a little closer to see how they run the coax to the outside of the truck.
Personally if they would have just consulted me, I would just have one hole coming out above the back window so you could just run ONE antenna in the back of the cab.

I see that OD is buying Freightliner Cascadias now.
How do you like them??? Or the Freightliner Columbia???
We always had Kenworth T800 for the last 14 years or so. Before that we had KW T600 day cabs. All single axle.
The Freight East guys have Volvos, International and KW.
But us here in the West we only run Kenworth.

At least you don't have to drive a Sterling like Conway.
Luckily Sterlings are no longer being made.

If you guys are going to be set up like the east now the days of bidding your tractor are probably gone. In the east road tractors are assigned by the general office. Long runs usually get a new tractor and then once they get a few hundred thousand miles then they get assigned to a driver on a shorter run. Also the driver that comes out of memphis to our center drives a freightliner. He said it pulls nice but shakes like hell. I hope the KW's stay out west!!!! In the east last year or the year before they stopped buying city trucks. They decided it is more economical for dual purpose. So we get to try to blind side with the big KW's and cram them in places they have no business being

If you guys are going to be set up like the east now the days of bidding your tractor are probably gone. In the east road tractors are assigned by the general office. Long runs usually get a new tractor and then once they get a few hundred thousand miles then they get assigned to a driver on a shorter run. Also the driver that comes out of memphis to our center drives a freightliner. He said it pulls nice but shakes like hell. I hope the KW's stay out west!!!! In the east last year or the year before they stopped buying city trucks. They decided it is more economical for dual purpose. So we get to try to blind side with the big KW's and cram them in places they have no business being

chitownpeddler :clap:

You are correct. We are under HRO rules. It is just a hassle when your truck is in the shop, and you have to use a spare truck and have to set up your XM radio cradle and outside antenna. Also the newer KWs that have the CB inside the overhead tray, drivers just leave their CB radios in their trucks and it would be a major hassle to take your CB home every day if you drive a different truck all the time. Nowadays that hardly anyone uses a CB radio anymore, it is just easier to not even mess with it.

I agree with the single up the back! Good ground and dont have to worry about tree limbs.

It was 5 years or 600,000 mile b-4 they pulled your truck unless you slip and were puting about 200,000 a year then you are subject to get a new tractor sooner. I personally like this assined equipment, cause the old system everytime you get a tractor all cleaned up workin good a senoir driver would take it from you. We leave our radios in the trucks for the most part all the time, guys are pretty good about if it breaks they will split the cost of repair or just get it fixed, pretty good buddy system in most places.

Just wish we could wash them ourselves, always feel better when I'm in a clean truck.:TR10driving03:

I agree with the single up the back! Good ground and dont have to worry about tree limbs.

It was 5 years or 600,000 mile b-4 they pulled your truck unless you slip and were puting about 200,000 a year then you are subject to get a new tractor sooner. I personally like this assined equipment, cause the old system everytime you get a tractor all cleaned up workin good a senoir driver would take it from you. We leave our radios in the trucks for the most part all the time, guys are pretty good about if it breaks they will split the cost of repair or just get it fixed, pretty good buddy system in most places.

Just wish we could wash them ourselves, always feel better when I'm in a clean truck.:TR10driving03:

Tenspeed :clap:

UPS brown run a single antenna in the back of cab on all their "feeder" trucks,
and they don't have to share their trucks with city drivers that seem to find tree branches to brake your CB antenna.