TForce | New Start Work Instructions

for time studies to work at upsf they have to start at the bottom (outbound) and work there way up to the delivery driver.

And everything will need to be a standard.

At the package side of the business everything is the same, a box is under a certian size and under a certian weight and every trailer is loaded a certian way on the floor. very predictable

there is no problem freight, they can always be stacked high and tight it can be repeated so there should not be any big time differences in loading or unloading times. It is repeatable, if a load does dump it doesn't matter becuase you still have to sort through boxes if there upright or not. time per package.

At ups freight no two loads are ever the same,
how long does it take to load pup full of tomato sauce, about 10 min, what if it is all broke down and it is 4200 cases 3 hours+

the loads are never the same so it could never take the same amount of time. not predictable

almost all of our freight can cause a problem, dump or spill. which adds time.

package p&d is also the same everyday there routes are very condensed they only cover a very small area a few square miles, they have rural routes but nothing like our rural routes, becuase they only cover such a small area traffic becomes very repetive, they pull up to the front door drop the package on the desk and leave. there time per stop is very predictable.

freight delivery may want inside delivery, sorted and segerrated, wait for a open door, inspect freight, with heavy freight you might have to wait on a forklift, and most places only let a receiving clerk sign for a freight shipment again, not predictable.

and our routes are not compact so traffic becomes more of a problem you may have to be at the same location 3 or 4 times a day with multiple deliveries and pickups scheduled at different times.

Our rural routes can do 200-400 miles per day.

My prediction ups package has standards we will have goals.

for time studies to work at upsf they have to start at the bottom (outbound) and work there way up to the delivery driver.

At the package side of the business everything is the same, a box is under a certian size and under a certian weight and every trailer is loaded a certian way on the floor. very predictable

there is no problem freight, they can always be stacked high and tight it can be repeated so there should not be any big time differences in loading or unloading times. It is repeatable, if a load does dump it doesn't matter becuase you still have to sort through boxes if there upright or not. time per package.

how long does it take to load pup full of tomato sauce, about 10 min, what if it is all broke down and it is 4200 cases 3 hours+

the loads are never the same so it could never take the same amount of time. not predictable

package p&d is also the same everyday there routes are very condensed they only cover a very small area a few square miles, they have rural routes but nothing like our rural routes, becuase they only cover such a small area traffic becomes very repetive, they pull up to the front door drop the package on the desk and leave. there time per stop is very predictable.

freight delivery may want inside delivery, sorted and segerrated, wait for a open door, inspect freight, with heavy freight you might have to wait on a forklift, and most places only let a receiving clerk sign for a freight shipment again, not predictable.

and our routes are not compact so traffic becomes more of a problem you may have to be at the same location 3 or 4 times a day with multiple deliveries and pickups scheduled at different times.

But who is to say they wont tell the customer what they will and wont haul...Certain pallets and certain height....They did it with packages.....

Hey GT, if they're on the map,
we'll ship their crap!!
Grab'em and drag'em!!

Sure but I'll bet if it is out of the norm that they dertermine, then the price will fit accordingly....If it is nice and convenient then hey we will give a deal but if it is UGLY then, well.....

I remember back in the day when there was a large number of union LTL companies.
There was one that was called Mason Dixson freight lines.
They started getting very picky on what kind of freight they wanted to haul in their trailers.
Needless to say it wasn't long before they were added to the trucking company history book of LTL companies that used to be in business.

With the deep discounting,and service times that all the remaining LTL companies are competing for,any picky company won't last very long in the game.

Gater you knew the whole Diad system went down around here in our Rochester terminal right around 3PM Friday,and this was every place?
WOW how wierd is that?
All of my deliveries always are recorded ok.
But my pickups are always giving me fits.
If I only pickup one bill,it works ok.
But when I'm recording the second bill of many I start having information deleting.
And it asks me to keep putting in the same information,over,and over.
That I have to call into dispatch so he can do the old pe-con method.

This may of been a good idea for the freight division to get on board with parcel,but its becoming a big delay at our pickups when these Diad boards don't want to co-operate with us.

In my opinion,the old Overnite,and UPS should of got these Diads with the program,before they introduced us city drivers to them.

I don't exactely remember if it was 92 or 93, but "O" stopped running vans in line haul as part of the regular operation. When they did, things like light poles, steel bars and specialty lumber over 28' was no longer excepted. We lost some high paying customers too.

Hey I have an idea for you UPS freight guys to take to work with you come Monday. Well ya know how UPS package parks in the road and runs in with the packages??? Well tell them to buy a fleet of Mofetts (portable forklifts, like on the Home Depot or Lowes trucks) Then Park in the road like your counterpart and bring the freight into them. You will the first to offer such a service. And just think no more lines to wait in to get unloaded.

Just having fun here, Later Stimpy

We had these so-called engineers ride along with the p&d guys this week in NBR. I believe it was Thursday. Don't know much about how the ride along went. But there sure was a bunch of UPS people in our barn the other day.

OK Stimpy what happens when someone smacks our trailers while they are sitting in the roads and we are off delivering skids on these fork lifts?

OK Stimpy what happens when someone smacks our trailers while they are sitting in the roads and we are off delivering skids on these fork lifts?

I just was joking with you!!! But the Brown Gods will take care of you. It is what brown can do for you. My brother works for you guys and he loves it, I pick on him like I did you. Hope you have a sense of humor. :smilie_132:

No problem Stimpy I'm like a duck,everything just rolls off my back.
Just like water coming off duck feathers.

After all I'm in my 44th year driving a city route.
I am very well versed in the fine art of sarcasum.
I think by now I can keep up with the best of you.

Although I don't use any profanity,I just speak in plain english.

We all know parcel is a much different program.
They can have ride along supervisors to count the stepts the driver takes from the truck to the customer,and back.
Parcel drivers can stop their little package cars in a small place,than their not supposed to run.(Yeah right?) they are to get out and go as fast as they can to make their delivery,than get back to their trucks,and hit the road for the next stop.
Most of the time they don't have to wait around for a signature.

Now we freight haulers have a whole other ball game to deal with which can't be rushed for the most part.
We need loading docks,which other trucking company drivers may be waiting for as well.
We need signatures,sometimes help from the receivers,and shippers to unload or load us.
And you'll never see me jumping out of my tractor and walking fast to make any of my deliveries.
TIME STUDY THIS OPERATION,GOOD LUCK?

Just one disagreement "We all know parcel is a much different program." I submit it is not different they move Freight (Parcel) from points A to B and we move freight from points A to B.
Q? why does now take 2,3,5 days when it used to take us 1,2,3 days .. Answer..O is running the show and they don't care about servicing the costumer. Not exactly on point i know but..reasonalbe Q?

I just threw a few things in the air . I am sure it could come too something similar to what you have stated, and I agree with the impredictability of the job.

When we compare package to freight there is none.. but who is too say that UPS could'nt or would'nt compensate for the shortcomming's sort of speak, with a few extra screens on the diad, what you have mentioned could come to pass, then again they may not, my comment was based on ignorence of what could happen .

Needless to say I have seen many impredictable foolish thing's happen in my life time that made no scence whatsoever, point is they happened. May not have been around for a while, but happened.

And most of what you have mentioned about being compact, The diad shows what you have done, after this info is stored , we could then define it takes you on average this amount of time to do your run, ON AVERAGE.

As far as electronics being used for outbound/Inbound / linehaul\somewhere in the system allready, *(( I could not tell you where, I forgot someone help if you get a chance))).
We are implementing scanners .Or in the process of setting them up. On a dock somewhere ,for this puorpose.

Qcom ,is it? Is also being installed in the tractors out west, these things add to the system as well. ( I do not know if they will intergrate into the "reservation system" or if there is a different means of tracking info for linehaul.

Now I am no genious of coarse but it would seem to me if we are adding this much techno mumbo jumbo in everything, then it clearly in my opinion means that they are implemented to serve more than what meet's the eye.

And again it is only an opinion, an educated guess, and nothing more.

I just was joking with you!!! But the Brown Gods will take care of you. It is what brown can do for you. My brother works for you guys and he loves it, I pick on him like I did you. Hope you have a sense of humor. :smilie_132:

Bring it on, we need it.... believe me.....:hysterical: :hysterical: .

We had these so-called engineers ride along with the p&d guys this week in NBR. I believe it was Thursday. Don't know much about how the ride along went. But there sure was a bunch of UPS people in our barn the other day.

Well keep us posted!!!! nothing like gossip too make my morning cup of coffee taste better..:hide:

I bet they enjoyed riding around to all the different Dunkin Donuts!! :biglaugh: