XPO | New team service.

Are unladen converter dollies covered by the exemption in § 393.42(b)(2)?

Section § 393.42: Brakes required on all wheels.
Guidance Q&A
Question 2: Are unladen converter dollies covered by the exemption in § 393.42(b)(2)?
Guidance: Yes. However, if the converter dolly is laden, the brakes must be operable.

I stand corrected. I always put air to them anyways.

No, they’re explicitly not DSRs and don’t bid. This is intentionally different than ESL was, so that people who never wanted to don’t end up getting bumped and having to team. I think the equivalent would be like if one wanted to become a dock worker, totally different job. The handbook actually covers that scenario
Do these OTRCD's ( Over The Road Company Drivers ) have routes?

Or do they run whatever , wherever? Or , like some LTL's with OTR teams , do they have to call in/communicate with central dispatch to see what's available?

Do they have service rank amongst their own board? ( I would guess for picking runs and equipment )

Do they have the option of company paid hotels if they're stuck out on the weekend for example? ( I'm guessing NO on the company paid hotel since XPO has purchased dozens of shiny new sleeper cabs )

Do these OTRCD's ( Over The Road Company Drivers ) have routes?

Or do they run whatever , wherever? Or , like some LTL's with OTR teams , do they have to call in/communicate with central dispatch to see what's available?

Do they have service rank amongst their own board? ( I would guess for picking runs and equipment )

Do they have the option of company paid hotels if they're stuck out on the weekend for example? ( I'm guessing NO on the company paid hotel since XPO has purchased dozens of shiny new sleeper cabs )
My understanding is they are out Monday to Friday, off weekends. They pull sets on longer runs, for example tomah, wi to Denver, co. Or Chicago to the east or west coast. Bypassing multiple service centers, relieving stress on the terminals. They are to be routed back to their domicile starting wed. So out Monday, start back wed. Home fri.

The whole point of team operation is keeping the unit moving, not wasting time time stringing their own sets. Coming in to terminal, drop their strung set and hook to pre-strung out bound set and be on their way with a quick turnaround.
Well thats the plan. What going to happen when they run an end of the line barn, non-fac? Are they going to pay them detection time while they wait for a set to be hooked? When they arrive in the earlier morning or late night. Lots of places driver don't even come in till around 5 or 6 am. Pre-planning is one big thing XPO has lacked for the start. I sure it hasn't improved since I left. Even if they did have a hook set of empties for them and a via driver gets there before them you all know whats going to happen

Don’t need brakes, you need breakaway protection. So red line attached, dummy on the coiled red.
I always hooked up the red line when towing a dolly behind a single trailer. I was alot easier to do that then drain the air tanks. It also engaged the snubber which keep it from bouncing all over the place

Well thats the plan. What going to happen when they run an end of the line barn, non-fac? Are they going to pay them detection time while they wait for a set to be hooked? When they arrive in the earlier morning or late night. Lots of places driver don't even come in till around 5 or 6 am. Pre-planning is one big thing XPO has lacked for the start. I sure it hasn't improved since I left. Even if they did have a hook set of empties for them and a via driver gets there before them you all know whats going to happen
They’re only going to be running the heavy high volume lanes, they’ll never end up at an EOL.

The whole point of team operation is keeping the unit moving, not wasting time time stringing their own sets. Coming in to terminal, drop their strung set and hook to pre-strung out bound set and be on their way with a quick turnaround.
That’s the way it should be. Imagine trying to sleep, it’s 5 hours into your break and your partner has to hook a set.

That’s the way it should be. Imagine trying to sleep, it’s 5 hours into your break and your partner has to hook a set.
A valid point. I'm guessing if that situation ever happens , they would have to use a daycab to hook.

It shouldn't happen though ( in a perfect world , they'll be several sets built and ready to go )

For those of you who've had a set ready to go when you pull up , or meet and turn people , does it bother you that someone else put that set together? Especially since you're used to doing it yourselves?

A valid point. I'm guessing if that situation ever happens , they would have to use a daycab to hook.

It shouldn't happen though ( in a perfect world , they'll be several sets built and ready to go )

For those of you who've had a set ready to go when you pull up , or meet and turn people , does it bother you that someone else put that set together? Especially since you're used to doing it yourselves?
I trust the guy who runs with me. That’s it. 95 percent of drivers at my fac don’t do post trips.

Or reverse the dolly with your lead and bang em together.. only the real skilled know how to do this
I do this pretty much every time I hook a set now. It took a bit of time to get good at it. You can pre-trip your dolly better this way if you supply air and hook the light cord up, before you have the whole set hooked, so you don’t have to break it back down if you find a major air leak or electrical problem.
Overall it’s just faster, and you only have to pick the dolly up once, instead of 3 times when you spot the dolly with the tractor.

I do this pretty much every time I hook a set now. It took a bit of time to get good at it. You can pre-trip your dolly better this way if you supply air and hook the light cord up, before you have the whole set hooked, so you don’t have to break it back down if you find a major air leak or electrical problem.
Overall it’s just faster, and you only have to pick the dolly up once, instead of 3 times when you spot the dolly with the tractor.
Yes sir. A couple pull ups but saves you a little time and saves your back from wrestling the dolly.

I love to do this on Via’s to EOL spots. It’s hard to do it when a hub is in full action, too many drivers rolling around and if an accident happens it’s on you

Yes sir. A couple pull ups but saves you a little time and saves your back from wrestling the dolly.

I love to do this on Via’s to EOL spots. It’s hard to do it when a hub is in full action, too many drivers rolling around and if an accident happens it’s on you
And add to that it's a little harder to do at unpaved yards where the potholes laugh as they mess with you. :hysterical: