Yellow | New Terminal?

RE:New Terminal

Hey HGB135,
I took a ride past the property 2 weeks ago and not much has changed, there was a area of land about the size of 2 to 3 acres that was cleared about a month ago but i was told it belongs to fedex. They have a building right across from there. The area where the terminal is said to be being build is still just a wooded lot. Will keep you updated.

Crackerbox

Is that a new YRCW terminal off I80 near exit 75 in Peru, Illinois? It is just north of the interstate, west of mm75. I saw Roadway and Yellow trailers lined up there.

Question

If this terminal is opened & all the men are coming from local 701 terminals with the exception of 1 local 560 man from Somerville, at what rate will the 560 man be paid?
Many years ago 701 took about .35 cents an hour out of their pay & put it into their pension, which turned out to be a great idea.....Will that 1 Somerville driver have to take a .35 cent cut in pay to be at the same rate as the 701 men since Roadway will be paying .35 cents an hour less into his local 560 pension?

As of 6/18/08 they are still just cleaning up the site, no construction has been started yet.

Pay

If this terminal is opened & all the men are coming from local 701 terminals with the exception of 1 local 560 man from Somerville, at what rate will the 560 man be paid?
Many years ago 701 took about .35 cents an hour out of their pay & put it into their pension, which turned out to be a great idea.....Will that 1 Somerville driver have to take a .35 cent cut in pay to be at the same rate as the 701 men since Roadway will be paying .35 cents an hour less into his local 560 pension?

As of 6/18/08 they are still just cleaning up the site, no construction has been started yet.

They will be paid local 701 rate and will work under 701 rules.

What makes you think there will be only 1 Sommerville man going to the new terminal?

What makes you think there will be only 1 Sommerville man going to the new terminal?

I started my post with the word "if". I really don't have any info other than what I have been told by 1 of the Somerville drivers. He said that only work for 1 man was going to Trenton. Who knows they may not even open a terminal in Trenton.

New Terminal

I started my post with the word "if". I really don't have any info other than what I have been told by 1 of the Somerville drivers. He said that only work for 1 man was going to Trenton. Who knows they may not even open a terminal in Trenton.

As it stands now the move in date for Trenton is November 26th 2008.
But, that is a construction Schedule and you know how they go.
There will be Sommerville men as well as Farmingdale men at the new terminal.
Brunswick, I am told ,is going to be split between Kearny and Trenton as is Sommerville.
I am not sure if some of Farmingale will be split or not?

I think that you are right, but I don't think that it is fair that someone who is following his work should have to take a cut in pay....... If the situation was reversed the 701 driver would be getting the full 560 rate & the extra .35 cents an hour contribution to his 701 pension.

locals

I have been around long enough to know that all local's are not created equal!

There are good ones and not so good and everything in between.

I have been around long enough to know that all local's are not created equal!

There are good ones and not so good and everything in between.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking local 701 for having the foresight to fatten their pension with that .33 or .35 cents back in the early 70s. I remember when they did it & we all laughed at them. Well we all know who is laughing now, all those 701 men collecting $90,000 to $120,000 a year pensions, they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

I just don't understand the logic in a rule that would require drivers from other locals who follow their work to have to take a cut in pay.

I found out from another Somerville driver that 60% of their work is supposed to go to Trenton in december so there will probably be a lot more than just that driver following the work.

Topic

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking local 701 for having the foresight to fatten their pension with that .33 or .35 cents back in the early 70s. I remember when they did it & we all laughed at them. Well we all know who is laughing now, all those 701 men collecting $90,000 to $120,000 a year pensions, they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

I just don't understand the logic in a rule that would require drivers from other locals who follow their work to have to take a cut in pay.

I found out from another Somerville driver that 60% of their work is supposed to go to Trenton in december so there will probably be a lot more than just that driver following the work.

I am not sure about those pension numbers but maybe this would be a good time to start another thread about the differnces in locals?

im not sure how it goes in this situation but on a c-o-o transfer your pension and medical dont transfer with you , it stays at your original local.

As it stands now the move in date for Trenton is November 26th 2008.
But, that is a construction Schedule and you know how they go.
There will be Sommerville men as well as Farmingdale men at the new terminal.
Brunswick, I am told ,is going to be split between Kearny and Trenton as is Sommerville.
I am not sure if some of Farmingale will be split or not?

How's the construction going at the new terminal?

Move in date has been pushed back to January 2009.

Was in Somerville last week. Asked the supervisor how soon they would be closed and moved.He did confirm that the date had been pushed back to January also.
Have also been to Kearny several times recently and noticed that construction on the expansion there seems to have stalled out.They did have a very long delay after finding all that chromium in the ground but after cleanup and clearance it appears they moved real fast getting the blacktop scraped off and moved right along up to the point of droping the forms and pouring the slab. Dont know what the delay is now but keep looking and nothing seems to change.
They did pour a ramp on the functional end of the building for the lifts but seem to have forgotten to make a door for it in the building...LOL
Anybody else think that these things might be on hold to re-evaluate the velosity change and allow for adjustments?