FedEx Freight | New tractors

Somebody is in a foul mood today. :poke:Certainly with your experience, you know you can beat on an auto just like you can beat on a manual... The big reason for going with the auto seems to be to increase the driver pool and also to lower maint costs.
Actually, the auto shifts provide increased fuel mileage as well as lower maintenance cost....and I don't know of any "truck driver" that can't drive a stick.

Hopefully Eaton can get the Ultrashift to operate like the I-Shift one of these days.
It's my understanding that one is hydraulic and one is pneumatic which makes it almost impossible for one to duplicate the other....Volvo definitely has the market with their I-shifts, they're silky smooth!!

Actually, the auto shifts provide increased fuel mileage as well as lower maintenance cost....and I don't know of any "truck driver" that can't drive a stick.
Red, that improved fuel mileage, while potentially true, is based on overall numbers. Can you show where they are universally capable of improved efficiency? When we start using the manual mode, for better performance results, we defeat the mileage gains.

The big reason is recruitment. Younger drivers, many who have never driven a manual, are less intimidated by the auto shift. We also know about that thing called a driver shortage. You know I'm right. Right?

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...ts-new-drivers-automatic-trucks_20140530.html

“We’ve found that many younger drivers looking to enter the industry prefer the automatic transmissions,” said Gretchen Jackson, Con-way Truckload recruiting manager. “It’s easier for them to figure out how to drive an automatic transmission truck, and that means they can focus on maneuvering the equipment and not worrying about what gear they need to be in. And more and more truck driving schools are using automatic transmission trucks.”

Red, that improved fuel mileage, while potentially true, is based on overall numbers. Can you show where they are universally capable of improved efficiency? When we start using the manual mode, for better performance results, we defeat the mileage gains.

The big reason is recruitment. Younger drivers, many who have never driven a manual, are less intimidated by the auto shift. We also know about that thing called a driver shortage. You know I'm right. Right?

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...ts-new-drivers-automatic-trucks_20140530.html

“We’ve found that many younger drivers looking to enter the industry prefer the automatic transmissions,” said Gretchen Jackson, Con-way Truckload recruiting manager. “It’s easier for them to figure out how to drive an automatic transmission truck, and that means they can focus on maneuvering the equipment and not worrying about what gear they need to be in. And more and more truck driving schools are using automatic transmission trucks.”
I'm not denying that the newer drivers prefer them, just saying every "truck driver" I know can/prefer to drive a stick.
As for universal, no, I can only speak for myself and although I utilize the manual option all day, every day, I still use 10-15 gallons of fuel less per day, per run, compared to the manual transmission trucks.

It's my understanding that one is hydraulic and one is pneumatic which makes it almost impossible for one to duplicate the other....Volvo definitely has the market with their I-shifts, they're silky smooth!!
The I-Shift is pneumatic, I know that from experience. The dual clutch model they have now is supposed to be even better.

Way I read it, the DT12 was designed to be just like the I-Shift. I don't know about the Eaton, as I've never used one, but I've heard plenty about what a pain they are.

I'm not denying that the newer drivers prefer them, just saying every "truck driver" I know can/prefer to drive a stick.
As for universal, no, I can only speak for myself and although I utilize the manual option all day, every day, I still use 10-15 gallons of fuel less per day, per run, compared to the manual transmission trucks.
Of course, I also prefer the manual. Actually, your numbers are a pretty good gauge, since we presume you run the same run daily. The only question I'd have, can you be certain it's the transmission alone. Or might it be the combination of the newer engine (newer programming), along with the transmission? We know they are designing them to talk to each other and adjust the parameters to compliment the optimum efficiencies of both.

Doesn't really matter, we're getting them, like it or not. They might be fine for the road, but they are frustrating in the city. Granted, they are getting much better, but still not ideal. Still prefer a re-class Volvo over a new KW/Pete... Although, the new Pete has a far superior A/C. That, I could get used to.

Of course, I also prefer the manual. Actually, your numbers are a pretty good gauge, since we presume you run the same run daily. The only question I'd have, can you be certain it's the transmission alone. Or might it be the combination of the newer engine (newer programming), along with the transmission? We know they are designing them to talk to each other and adjust the parameters to compliment the optimum efficiencies of both.

Doesn't really matter, we're getting them, like it or not. They might be fine for the road, but they are frustrating in the city. Granted, they are getting much better, but still not ideal. Still prefer a re-class Volvo over a new KW/Pete... Although, the new Pete has a far superior A/C. That, I could get used to.
I'll concede that there's probably more variables involved than just the transmission but the auto-shift is the major difference...internally it's actually the same tranny as a stick, it just uses sensors to shift instead of the driver and that's where the difference in fuel consumption differs IMO.
I'll also agree we're stuck with them so it is what it is. Enjoy your re-class Volvo if you're lucky enough to have one, the bells and whistles in the new ones suck and they're hard to get used to....they're more distracting than danger they're warning us about!!