TForce | New Union

CFer said:
For what it's worth Skeeter, I did hear that UPS was looking for a freight contract that would expire at the same time as the parcel one.

You know the more I talk to UPS feeder drivers I think being union for UPSF just might be the best thing for the company as a whole. We can all work together and not worry about union drivers filing grievances if we take some of their work.

Of course I know that will all be spelled out in a contract. However, I did see a UPS sleeper truck pulling a UPS pup and a Motor Cargo pup. Sure looked odd.

But I think if we would be able to better compete with FedEx and YRCW then we need to be ONE.

Skeeter said:
However, I did see a UPS sleeper truck pulling a UPS pup and a Motor Cargo pup. Sure looked odd.
That would be odd.
Was it the lead or rear?
Just wondering.....If the pintle hook was normal height, it would be one of ours that possibly didn't have the UPS Freight decals on the side yet.
If it was low, it was one of theirs.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
That would be odd.
Was it the lead or rear?
Just wondering.....If the pintle hook was normal height, it would be one of ours that possibly didn't have the UPS Freight decals on the side yet.
If it was low, it was one of theirs.

It was in the rear but it was one of their trailers that didn't have the low pintle hook.

IBT PENSION FUNDING STATUS: From the horses mouth

Cfer said:
The IBT DOES NOT rely on the insurance plan to subsidize the pension. Who told you that?
The Teamster pension funds and health funds are completely independent of each other. Every week money is out into each fund on my behalf. My pension money is sent to my regional pension fund and my H&W money goes to my locals H&W office. These 2 funds have nothing to do with each other and have no way of transfering money from one to the other.

I point to the Independent Special Counsel Quarterly Reports posted on the Central States Website. These reports indicate how poorly the IBT funds are and how they plan to subsidize their deficiencies. If you gentleman choose to ignore the validity of these reports, then that is your educated choice. Like my father told me long ago, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Fourth Quarter 2003 (February 4 said:
FUNDING STATUS:
The Pension Fund is expected to incur a funding deficiency this year, as extensively discuessed in my previous reports and the many conferences you have held since last September. The health and welfare fund has also experienced significant funding deterioration. Continuing efforts ot address these critical funding problems are summarized below.

BENEFIT REDUCTIONS:
....Basically, the "twenty-five and out," "thirty and out" and contributary credit pension benefits wer frozen, future accruals cut form 2 to 1%, and self-contributions eliminated. The finalized changes were accompanied by a loosening of the reemployement rules.......These include sustantial increases to what retirees must pay for health coverage (expected to discourage early retirement, aiding the Pension Fund as well as the Health and Welfare Fund's actuarial soundness), increased office visit and retail prescription copays and implementing deductibles in the highest C6 plan.
source

Second Quarter 2004 (August 2 said:
As previously reported, the Fund's consulting actuary Steve Rabinowitz, adivsed as follows: restrict retireee medical eligibility, freeze or reduce future pension benefit accruals, increase pension contributions, and reallocate future contributions from the Health and Welfare Fund to the Pension Fund. Mr. Rabinowitz stressed that no one of these steps alone can suffice to avoid a funding deficiency. Again a funding deficiency violates the ERISA and triggers harsh consequences for participaiting employer of mandatory additional contributions inthe amount needed to make up the deficiency and annual excise taxes of 5% of the deificiency.
source

These are the IBT funds that your 102% funded pension fund will be mixed with. That sound you hear in the background is your money being flushed down the toilet by the IBT.

CFer said:
The APWA claims to want to represent both UPS and UPSF employees but I have not seen a single post of from nospinzone, Gone, Equalizer etc.... in the UPS forum here. not a single post trying to win them over
The majority of meetings and traveling have been focused on Parcel for the past two years. Only recently has the increased interest from the Blue side resulted in increased meetings and traveling to UPSF facilities. If you are looking for discussion focusing on Parcel employess, then this is the wrong site. There has been extensive discussion involving a high volume of Parcel workers at other web boards. I would give you this web site, but then the Trucking Board administrators would freeze my account AGAIN for advertising a competing web board. Google it and find it for yourself.

CFer asks,

The APWA claims to want to represent both UPS and UPSF employees but I have not seen a single post of from nospinzone, Gone, Equalizer etc.... in the UPS forum here. not a single post trying to win them over

All of my post"s are in the forum for the company that I work for.

Nospinzone is correct in his statement that there is a site where, UPS employees along with employees from UPSF, show a lot of support for the APWA.

CFer states,

This whole APWA thing has union busting written all over it.

The APWA is all about having a choice. I think that competition is a good thing. It might make the IBT elevate their commitment to the good people of who they represent.

Cfer asked,

Who's to say that the company is not behind this entire " APWA union" to assure there will not be enough yes votes to win an election for the Teamsters?

That would be illegal. Van and Danny are the ones behind the APWA.

CFer says,

We already know that the APWA is in bed with a union busting law firm.

As has already been explained, this is for the sole purpose of pulling the IBT out of UPS if they win the election.

CFer says,

Couple that with the fact that there does not seem to be much of an attempt to win over UPS employees it seems and it sure raises a lot of questions as far as I'm concerned.

It would raise a concern with anyone if this was in fact true. The APWA has been at many UPS facilities gaining support for two years as nospinzone mentioned earlier.

Equalizer

Equalizer:
The APWA is all about having a choice. I think that competition is a good thing. It might make the IBT elevate their commitment to the good people of who they represent.

Honestly EQ, I don't think choice is going to benefit us in this case. As another poster stated, it would only divide the vote and would only be benificial to the company.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
Do they have pups that don't have a low pintle hook?

No Pups or Thruway 40,45, or 48s with high pintle. All UPS trailer are equipped with low pintles and one emergency line extending from trailer.

UPS dollies can not be utilized by a trailer unless it has a emergency line attached or you have a pre-made jumper and dolliy has a emergengy glad hand affixed (line to line is illegeal)

UPS dollies being pulled by a UPS trailer can however pull a forgien trailer as a kite.

UPS trailers can not use a forgien dolly becuase of the pintle height and the existence of a permently mounted emergengy line on trailer

steve5 said:
Equalizer:

Honestly EQ, I don't think choice is going to benefit us in this case. As another poster stated, it would only divide the vote and would only be benificial to the company.
How right you are steve. The co. would love to have us fight each other than focus on them. Again, sound like APWA is all about union busting. Notice they wont answer where all there funds are coming from. They also ignore the fact that CS is the only fund to experience a set back while the others are robust:tongue0015:

nospinzone said:
I point to the Independent Special Counsel Quarterly Reports posted on the Central States Website. These reports indicate how poorly the IBT funds are and how they plan to subsidize their deficiencies.

First off nospinzone, why are you quoting reports from February 2004? I went to the site you supplied and I see there have been 10 updated reports posted since the one you quoted . I have no idea what those updated reports say but I find it odd that you would not want to give the people you want to represent the most up to date information

Secondly, In your original post you said

nospinzone said:
The insurance benefits that IBT plans are offering are being sacrificed to maintain the pension funding levels.

My response to you was this

CFer said:
The IBT DOES NOT rely on the insurance plan to subsidize the pension. Who told you that?
The Teamster pension funds and health funds are completely independent of each other. Every week money is out into each fund on my behalf. My pension money is sent to my regional pension fund and my H&W money goes to my locals H&W office. These 2 funds have nothing to do with each other and have no way of transfering money from one to the other.

Now you reply with this

nospinzone said:
As previously reported, the Fund's consulting actuary Steve Rabinowitz, adivsed as follows: restrict retireee medical eligibility, freeze or reduce future pension benefit accruals, increase pension contributions, and reallocate future contributions from the Health and Welfare Fund to the Pension Fund.

(I'm actually glad you highlighted the part I was looking for. It made it much easier to find)

So, You're taking quotes from almost 3 year old information and trying to pass it off as current. The funny part is that it does not even prove your point.

What it says is that 3 years ago the person who wrote that report had those recommendations. It does not say thats whats happening.
Furthermore, they are not talking about moving money from one fund to another, they are talking about putting future contributions into H&W instead of the pension fund.
Once again, this was from a report from 3 years ago.

nospinzone said:
I would give you this web site, but then the Trucking Board administrators would freeze my account AGAIN for advertising a competing web board. Google it and find it for yourself.

Interesting spin you put on this comment because you have NEVER been banned from this site and I personally am the one that talked to the owner of this site about you having problems posting another website and that issue was taken care of within 5 minutes of my getting that message from you.

Equalizer said:

Just where is the choice when members that actually want a union lose because the company hires a union busting law firm to form sham of a union to try and assure the employees never get the required 50%+1 vote?

equalizer said:
That would be illegal.

This would be far from the first time that Overnite has been found guilty of violating labor laws

equalizer said:
Van and Danny are the ones behind the APWA.
And who's behind Van and Danny?

nospinzone said:
Buster,
It becomes obvious in debates when one of the parties lacks substitive arguements that they must use mischaracterizations and misrepresentation of their opponent. In my above post, I discussed issues and ideas which would improve the quality of life for UPSF employees. Why is it that Teamster BA's and stewards like yourself cannot do the same? Let's hear some hard responses from Teamster supporters on the true issues that will determine this NLRB vote:

INSURANCE:

[list type=decimal]
[*]What insurance company will be handling UPSF benefits? IBT owned, monopolized insurance or publicly traded insurance(BCBS, Cigna, United Healthcare) which is exposed to free market prices?
[*]As an employee, what will my premiums be?
[*]Will there be major-medical coverage?
[*]If I get sick and am unable to work, will I lose my insurance? (out-of-work rule)
[*]For a UPSF retiree , what will my premiums be?
[*]Will there be a lifetime max payout and how much?
[*]As a retiree, will dental/vision be included in this insurance?
[/LIST]
PENSION:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The current UPSF plan is 102% funded. If UPSF goes Teamsters, will this funding level be effected?
[*]For a UPSF employee with 25 years with Overnite, how much credit will be given for years worked prior to joining IBT? [*]I enjoy fishing. If I choose to work at the BassMasters outlet after retirement, will this effect my pension payout?
[*]In the event of my death, will my spouse continue to receive my full pension?
[*]Upon the demise of both me and my spouse, what happens to the remainder of my pension? [*]My pension is my money that I workerd for. Can I expect to have the opportunity to write into my will how my pension payout be handled upon my death?
[/LIST]

These are the issues. I've tackled the tough questions on this webboard with frankness. Let's see the IBT answer some tough questions.

Any answers boys? Or just more talk distracting from the real issues?

nospinzone, I started responding to your questions and realized that any answer I gave would only be speculation seeing that the negotiations are not over.

The same goes for the APWA. You are giving figures without even negotiating with the company. Any figures you give will be just as innacurate as I'm saying mine would be

Nobody can honestly answer any of these questions at this point.
I suggest waiting till the Indy contract is negotiated. Once that is done, I'm sure all your questions will be able to be answered

CFer said:
So, You're taking quotes from almost 3 year old information and trying to pass it off as current. The funny part is that it does not even prove your point.
CFer,,,if you go through the counsel reports in the past three years, you find a few things missing in them.
  • The suggestion to reverse these cuts and alterations.
  • The suggestion to return insurance benefits to the previous levels.
  • The suggestion to return pension benefits to their previous levels.
But if you can find text within those recent reports that reccommends doing those three things, I will gladly post an apology and retraction.
CFer said:
Furthermore, they are not talking about moving money from one fund to another, they are talking about putting future contributions into H&W instead of the pension fund.
Let's see. If you take money that was suppose to go into the H&W fund and put it into the pension fund instead...... I just dont see it. Can you spin this again for us so we can understand how H&W money is not subsidizing the pension fund? Now if the H&W money was actually going into the H&W fund, then maybe the insurance benefits would be a little better. Ya think?
CFer said:
Interesting spin you put on this comment because you have NEVER been banned from this site and I personally am the one that talked to the owner of this site about you having problems posting another website and that issue was taken care of within 5 minutes of my getting that message from you.
I would direct you the two following post I made back in July of this year.
Post 1.
Post 2.
Shortly after these posts, my account was frozen and I was unable to post. After a couple emails requesting to have my account unfrozen, I was finally got an email from the administrator restoring my account on 14 Oct 2006. I still have the email if you'd like to read it, CFer. Sorry.
Nospin here.

CFer said:
nospinzone, I started responding to your questions and realized that any answer I gave would only be speculation seeing that the negotiations are not over.

The same goes for the APWA. You are giving figures without even negotiating with the company. Any figures you give will be just as innacurate as I'm saying mine would be

I suggest waiting till the Indy contract is negotiated. Once that is done, I'm sure all your questions will be able to be answered

CFer I been saying this from the beginning.

All their calcuations and speculations are based on Teamster negioated rates.

Does anyone out there think UPS is automatically going to continue with the same rates with another union they've never even negiotated with

nospinzone said:
CFer,,,if you go through the counsel reports in the past three years, you find a few things missing in them.
  • The suggestion to reverse these cuts and alterations.
  • The suggestion to return insurance benefits to the previous levels.
  • The suggestion to return pension benefits to their previous levels.
But if you can find text within those recent reports that reccommends doing those three things, I will gladly post an apology and retraction.
Let's see. If you take money that was suppose to go into the H&W fund and put it into the pension fund instead...... I just dont see it. Can you spin this again for us so we can understand how H&W money is not subsidizing the pension fund? Now if the H&W money was actually going into the H&W fund, then maybe the insurance benefits would be a little better. Ya think?
Post 1.
Post 2.
Shortly after these posts, my account was frozen and I was unable to post. After a couple emails requesting to have my account unfrozen, I was finally got an email from the administrator restoring my account on 14 Oct 2006. I still have the email if you'd like to read it, CFer. Sorry.
Nospin here.

Your problem nospin is your head is stuck in the CS plan hole.

Pull it out and take a look around at the other plans and seek the truth not a fraction of it

CFer said:
Once again. When presidential candidates are in a TV debate, they are pushing ideas and goals that they would pursue IF THEY WERE ELECTED PRESIDENT. Do I need to repeat my previous example? APWA has made calculations based off of current contributions and expected expenses as to what they could offer if elected as the bargaining agent. I'm quite sure that IBT has done the same. However, they won't be so eager to dissiminate their abyssmal projections.

Why don't you find out what promises the IBT told the dozen or so people in attendance at their meeting this past weekend in Pennsylvania? Or better yet, as an informed UPSF employee, call up the local or even better, Tyson Johnson's people and ask them those questions. Or would you prefer that I do it for you?

Post 1.
Post 2.
Nospin here.

I think the key word here is BANNED.