TForce | New Union

Teamster251 said:
Your problem nospin is your head is stuck in the CS plan hole.

Pull it out and take a look around at the other plans and seek the truth not a fraction of it
Central States is the largest plan covering UPS employees. That means that it will have a big impact on UPSF employees should you guys choose to buy into it.

But of the two other large plans, only the boys out in California are actually enjoying some success. The Western Conference is 100% funded. Kudos to them. Too bad my family and I don't live in California.

The other fund, the New England Fund, is almost just as bad as Central States. It also will fall into the "yellow zone" as described by the Pension Protection Act of 2006. This means that the fund can cover 80% or less of its responsibilities. So, lets review. Two out of the three largest Teamster plans are having to cut back on benefits to secure their funding levels. Now how is this attractive to UPSF people again?

And just to drive the point home, here is an excerpt from a recent TDU article on their website.
Also, a plan in the Yellow Zone cannot raise benefits until its funding level improves. This makes it critically important to bargain increased employer contributions, bringing part-time UPSers and UPS Freight into the Central States Fund, and to step up organizing as well.
And therein lies the true reason why the Teamsters want to organize UPSF.

nospinzone said:
CFer,,,if you go through the counsel reports in the past three years, you find a few things missing in them.
  • The suggestion to reverse these cuts and alterations.
  • The suggestion to return insurance benefits to the previous levels.
  • The suggestion to return pension benefits to their previous levels.

• Could this perhaps be because these steps were no longer needed? Why else would they put it into one report and not the subsequent ones?

nospinzone said:
    Let's see. If you take money that was suppose to go into the H&W fund and put it into the pension fund instead...... I just dont see it. Can you spin this again for us so we can understand how H&W money is not subsidizing the pension fund?

In your original post, you claimed that the H&W fund IS subsidizing the pension fund which is not true.

That report talks about possible future actions which obviously were not taken.

nospinzone said:
    I would direct you the two following post I made back in July of this year.
    Post 1.
    Post 2.
    Shortly after these posts, my account was frozen and I was unable to post. After a couple emails requesting to have my account unfrozen, I was finally got an email from the administrator restoring my account on 14 Oct 2006. I still have the email if you'd like to read it, CFer. Sorry.
    Nospin here.

These 2 posts in question are related to 2 different events.

In the first one, your post was edited because we do not allow users to advertise competing websites.

The second one was resolved this week. I personally talked to Jeff about this after getting your message and I believe this was handled to your satisfaction.

nospinzone said:
Central States is the largest plan covering UPS employees. That means that it will have a big impact on UPSF employees should you guys choose to buy into it.

But of the two other large plans, only the boys out in California are actually enjoying some success. The Western Conference is 100% funded. Kudos to them. Too bad my family and I don't live in California.

The other fund, the New England Fund, is almost just as bad as Central States. It also will fall into the "yellow zone" as described by the Pension Protection Act of 2006. This means that the fund can cover 80% or less of its responsibilities. So, lets review. Two out of the three largest Teamster plans are having to cut back on benefits to secure their funding levels. Now how is this attractive to UPSF people again?

And just to drive the point home, here is an excerpt from a recent TDU article on their website. And therein lies the true reason why the Teamsters want to organize UPSF.

The TDU?:hysterical:

Yeah, there's a real reliable source :duh:

Now how is this attractive to UPSF people again?

Some of us "UPSF people" took the blinders off and are looking at the big picture, work rules, pay, job protection, Medical.

Your main arguement is the pension, is this the only thing we should take into consideration as far as who to vote for?

A pension is great but don't count on it to be your whole retirement.

nospinzone said:

And just to drive the point home, here is an excerpt from a recent TDU article on their website. And therein lies the true reason why the Teamsters want to organize UPSF.

Funny, being a member of the New England fund, I received the annual financial reports just last week.
Amazing they are the complete opposite that you say they are. Are you sure your reading the information for the right year? This is 2006.
NETTIPF is one of the healthier in the country.

Sorry nospin maybe you should stick your head back in the hole, taking it out, the sun would only further blind you.

oooo

CFer said:
nospinzone, most big organizations or companies buy their insurance direcly from the company. That includes Teamster funds.

nospinzone, in one post you're telling people they will have $300 a month insurance and now you're saying it won't be $300 but it will be frozen at whatever the premium is at the time of retirement. You then go on to say that prices will be negotiated anually or bianually which will lead to more price increases. There goes that $300 a month insurance.

The IBT DOES NOT rely on the insurance plan to subsidize the pension. Who told you that?
The Teamster pension funds and health funds are completely independent of each other. Every week money is out into each fund on my behalf. My pension money is sent to my regional pension fund and my H&W money goes to my locals H&W office. These 2 funds have nothing to do with each other and have no way of transfering money from one to the other.

How can you expect employees to believe that not only will their retirement health benefits be extremely cheap, but they will get better benefits when they retire than when they were working?
Please don't tell me you actually believe this nospinzone.

nospinzone,UPS does not purcahse insurance from the IBT and there is nothing in the contract that states that.

UPS has nothing to do with Teamsters health insurance other than paying an hourly rate for each employee worked.

In my case, my company pays $6.65 for every hour I work to my H&W fund. They are the ones that provide my insurance. It works the same way for UPS. They are not buying insurance from the IBT as you claim
is nospin a apwa official

nospinzone said:
Buster,
It becomes obvious in debates when one of the parties lacks substitive arguements that they must use mischaracterizations and misrepresentation of their opponent. In my above post, I discussed issues and ideas which would improve the quality of life for UPSF employees. Why is it that Teamster BA's and stewards like yourself cannot do the same? Let's hear some hard responses from Teamster supporters on the true issues that will determine this NLRB vote:

INSURANCE:

[list type=decimal]
[*]What insurance company will be handling UPSF benefits? IBT owned, monopolized insurance or publicly traded insurance(BCBS, Cigna, United Healthcare) which is exposed to free market prices?
[*]As an employee, what will my premiums be?
[*]Will there be major-medical coverage?
[*]If I get sick and am unable to work, will I lose my insurance? (out-of-work rule)
[*]For a UPSF retiree , what will my premiums be?
[*]Will there be a lifetime max payout and how much?
[*]As a retiree, will dental/vision be included in this insurance?
[/LIST]
PENSION:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The current UPSF plan is 102% funded. If UPSF goes Teamsters, will this funding level be effected?
[*]For a UPSF employee with 25 years with Overnite, how much credit will be given for years worked prior to joining IBT? [*]I enjoy fishing. If I choose to work at the BassMasters outlet after retirement, will this effect my pension payout?
[*]In the event of my death, will my spouse continue to receive my full pension?
[*]Upon the demise of both me and my spouse, what happens to the remainder of my pension? [*]My pension is my money that I workerd for. Can I expect to have the opportunity to write into my will how my pension payout be handled upon my death?
[/LIST]

These are the issues. I've tackled the tough questions on this webboard with frankness. Let's see the IBT answer some tough questions.
how about the apwa giving the teamsters a debut. lets see at the meetings in mechanicsburg the did not want to answer the tough questions and some of the questions that was asked got skillman p/o.

nospinzone said:
Buster,
It becomes obvious in debates when one of the parties lacks substitive arguements that they must use mischaracterizations and misrepresentation of their opponent. In my above post, I discussed issues and ideas which would improve the quality of life for UPSF employees. Why is it that Teamster BA's and stewards like yourself cannot do the same? Let's hear some hard responses from Teamster supporters on the true issues that will determine this NLRB vote:

INSURANCE:

[list type=decimal]
[*]What insurance company will be handling UPSF benefits? IBT owned, monopolized insurance or publicly traded insurance(BCBS, Cigna, United Healthcare) which is exposed to free market prices?
[*]As an employee, what will my premiums be?
[*]Will there be major-medical coverage?
[*]If I get sick and am unable to work, will I lose my insurance? (out-of-work rule)
[*]For a UPSF retiree , what will my premiums be?
[*]Will there be a lifetime max payout and how much?
[*]As a retiree, will dental/vision be included in this insurance?
[/LIST]
PENSION:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The current UPSF plan is 102% funded. If UPSF goes Teamsters, will this funding level be effected?
[*]For a UPSF employee with 25 years with Overnite, how much credit will be given for years worked prior to joining IBT? [*]I enjoy fishing. If I choose to work at the BassMasters outlet after retirement, will this effect my pension payout?
[*]In the event of my death, will my spouse continue to receive my full pension?
[*]Upon the demise of both me and my spouse, what happens to the remainder of my pension? [*]My pension is my money that I workerd for. Can I expect to have the opportunity to write into my will how my pension payout be handled upon my death?
[/LIST]

These are the issues. I've tackled the tough questions on this webboard with frankness. Let's see the IBT answer some tough questions.
nospin if you get sick lets say your off work work with a heart attack for 30 days and not able to work for a period of time at your job. at upsf you do lose your ins. because you get 1 sick day per illness. then you go to short term coverage but by the time you get that check you lose your insurance because you the employee does have to pay your fair share of your insurance prem. now if they were teamsters here in central pa they would have sick pay benifits. If your not happy with central states offerings you have other avenues to follow. next question on the pension of the apwa is . will it affect my social securtiy:hysterical:

Steve5 says,

Honestly EQ, I don't think choice is going to benefit us in this case. As another poster stated, it would only divide the vote and would only be benificial to the company.

Which vote are you referring to? Do you believe that there will be a nation wide vote of some kind?
There hasn't been a vote as of yet for any UPSF terminal. We here in K.C. will not need a vote. The only organization we will consider is the APWA and we will have enough cards signed by the end of the year for a card check.

Equalizer

Equalizer said:
Steve5 says,

Which vote are you referring to? Do you believe that there will be a nation wide vote of some kind?
There hasn't been a vote as of yet for any UPSF terminal. We here in K.C. will not need a vote. The only organization we will consider is the APWA and we will have enough cards signed by the end of the year for a card check.

Equalizer

Hooray, good for you!!!

You can be the officail RedHeaded Step child of UPSF.

CFer asks,

Just where is the choice when members that actually want a union lose because the company hires a union busting law firm to form sham of a union to try and assure the employees never get the required 50%+1 vote?

That will not be an issue in K.C.. The only union getting in here is the APWA. There is none, zero support for the IBT here in K.C.. Your opinion of the APWA,sham of a union, is noted, but your opinion is just that, your opinion. You do not have any facts as to the allegations that you make against the APWA. The APWA is simply an option to the IBT. The union busting law firm is for the sole purpose of exiting the IBT and replacing them with the APWA. If a lawyer has been retained you don't have to pay him until his services are needed. A retainer fee is all it takes to have him ready at the appropiate time.

CFer says,

This would be far from the first time that Overnite has been found guilty of violating labor laws

This is not Overnite anymore. To say that Overnite violated labor laws is true, but this company is under new management. I seem to recall a few times that the IBT has broken the law as well.

CFer asks,

And who's behind Van and Danny?

The APWA is an organization being supported by members who have paid their membership fee in advance. If UPS was backing the APWA don't you think you would have heard about them before now? It is Illegal for them to do so and I believe this allegation is just that, an allegation. The way they are funded is no different than that of the IBT. People will realize soon enough that the APWA is not going away when we ask for a card check here in K.C..

Equalizer

Teamster251 says,

Hooray, good for you!!!

WE thank you for your support.

Teamster251 says,

You can be the officail RedHeaded Step child of UPSF.

We have already been down that road being the first to vote in the IBT back in 1994. It's nothing new to us. There are other terminals that have signed cards as well. We are not alone in this fight.

Equalizer

Equalizer said:
Steve5 says,

Equalizer

What vote do you think I'm talking about. I've given you too much credit I guess.

No don't think there will be a nationwide vote of some kind, Your under estimating my understanding.

Let me explain myself to where YOU can understand.

If say, ABQ had a vote when it came time to do so, The vote was split 3 ways. 3ways between the apwa, Teamsters, and non-union, neither of which had 50%+1, the company would win staying non-union.

Someone tell me that this will never happen, and if not,why.

2004 Annual Reports For Central States

Most current info i have on the Central States Pension Fund was for 2004. The value of plan assets, after subtracting liabilities of the plan, was $18,717,532,696 as of Dec. 31,2004, compared to $17,725,135,566 AS OF jAN. 1, 2004. During the plan year the plan experienced an increase in its net assets of $992,397,130. Mustache Retired Roadway

Equalizer said:
Steve5 says,

Equalizer
I'm very curious Equalizer. Why are you so dead set against the Teamsters?