TForce | New Union

To Equalizer,
It is apparent you have made up your mind regarding your lack of support of the Teamsters. And that is your right as a American and as employee of UPSF. And I respect that. But ask yourself this. You obviously must have crossed the picket lines in 1999 when the Teamsters were your legally recognized bargaining agent. And since then, the ones that supported the Teamsters have either been fired or left voluntarily. So all thats left in Kansas City anyway, are either workers that feel like you do or others who really don't care about a Union one way or the other. Now, suppose your APWA is recognized as your bargaining agent. And UPSF fails to "bargain in good faith" with them. And in order to get a contract you go out on strike. You crossed a picket line before. And many like you did too. Will you again? Will others? Will Teamsters honor your picket lines? Will UPS parcel? Will you have the support of the AFL-CIO?
It is just my opinion you are throwing your money away supporting a paper tiger like the APWA who at best is a start up union with no real national support, and at the worst a company sponsored union that doesn't really have your best interest at heart. Either way your still better off with the Teamsters, despite all there faults. Or no union at all. Which i suspect you prefer anyway.
Thank you for letting me express my opinion.
HILO

A UPS parcel driver told me that they (parcel) would not go out on strike if we UPSF went out on strike because they are not in the same business as UPSF. He said they would keep working and not expect UPSF to go on strike if parcel went on strike.

Bama,
There will be no strike. With all of the non Union competition neither side needs or wants a strike. Negotiations are conducted accordingly with both sides aware that they won't get everything they want.

hilo@342 states,

It is apparent you have made up your mind regarding your lack of support of the Teamsters. And that is your right as a American and as employee of UPSF. And I respect that.

Thank you, as I respect your right to support the IBT.

hilo@342 says,

But ask yourself this. You obviously must have crossed the picket lines in 1999 when the Teamsters were your legally recognized bargaining agent. And since then, the ones that supported the Teamsters have either been fired or left voluntarily.So all thats left in Kansas City anyway, are either workers that feel like you do or others who really don't care about a Union one way or the other.

Yes I did cross the line in 97,98,and 99. The other two were 24 hour strikes. Most of the people that went out for a long duration of time never came back, although they could have at any time according to the law. Only a few that were out the entire time came back. I will say this though, if the strike had been voted on, it would never of been called. Everybody knew that having only 34 terminals out of 160 wasn't going to get it done.

hilo@342 asks,

Now, suppose your APWA is recognized as your bargaining agent. And UPSF fails to "bargain in good faith" with them. And in order to get a contract you go out on strike. You crossed a picket line before. And many like you did too. Will you again? Will others? Will Teamsters honor your picket lines? Will UPS parcel? Will you have the support of the AFL-CIO?

If the UPS chooses to not bargain in good faith and a vote is cast with all facilities involved and the vote says to strike, then yes I will walk. I don't suspect the Teamsters will honor it nor do I expect them to. Ups will hopefully be represented by the APWA by then, but if not then no I don't expect them to either. If we were Teamsters they couldn't honor it anyway. As far as the AFL-CIO, no they won't support us either, but I reckon they wouldn't if we were Teamsters as well. The IBT seperated from the AFL-CIO July 25, 2005.

hilo@342 says,

It is just my opinion you are throwing your money away supporting a paper tiger like the APWA who at best is a start up union with no real national supportand at the worst a company sponsored union that doesn't really have your best interest at heart.

You would be 100% correct to say that the APWA is a start up union, just like the IPA was in October of 1989. They were officially recognised in January of 1990 as the official union of the UPS pilots after a vote of 757 for the IPA and 7 to the IBT. They proved that it can be done. For UPS to sponser the APWA would be illegal and I'm sure that they wouldn't put their trust in a couple of guys from North Carolina to keep their secret. As I have said before it is in the APWA's best interest to look out for our best interest. I see no reason why they wouldn't.

hilo@342 says,

Either way your still better off with the Teamsters, despite all there faults.

Well we can agree to disagree on this.

hilo@342 says,

Or no union at all. Which i suspect you prefer anyway.

I would have preffered to remain as Overnite, but that obviously isn't going to happen. With UPS they have a different way of doing business and could care less about anything else but the bottom line profit. We know we will need help and that is why we asked the APWA to let us in as an alternative to the IBT.

hilo@342 says,

Thank you for letting me express my opinion.
HILO

This is a place for everyone to express their opinion and you are no different than I as far as that is concerned. I do appreciate your thoughts and question's without being derogatory or filled with hostility.

By the way Hilo, you think you could talk Roadway into putting up a wall in your lot behind us to block that north wind coming off the river? It would be greatly appreciated!

Equalizer

EQ:
but for those that do not choose to be represented by either party win as well.

Maybe as far as the vote they may have won, but as far as having the company actually going by the rules they have written and employees keeping what they have (pension, pay and benifits) this is a different story. As I have stated before GI's pension was frozen, pay lowered for new hires (5cpm lower) and some work time added into the cpm which as well as wait time. Also I've seen first hand what the company can do to it's employees un-checked, cut runs, cut wait time, forced transfers, raised medical (which has happened recently).

Now tell me again how they win as well?

EQ:
You can blame the APWA if you want for this scenario, but if the IBT had not done what they did, this conversation wouldn't be taking place.

Well, I don't think the apwa will be much of a worry out here, but you can also say if it wasn't for the apwa, this conversation would not be taking place either.

I am curious

I point to the Independent Special Counsel Quarterly Reports posted on the Central States Website. These reports indicate how poorly the IBT funds are and how they plan to subsidize their deficiencies. If you gentleman choose to ignore the validity of these reports, then that is your educated choice. Like my father told me long ago, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

These are the IBT funds that your 102% funded pension fund will be mixed with. That sound you hear in the background is your money being flushed down the toilet by the IBT.

The majority of meetings and traveling have been focused on Parcel for the past two years. Only recently has the increased interest from the Blue side resulted in increased meetings and traveling to UPSF facilities. If you are looking for discussion focusing on Parcel employess, then this is the wrong site. There has been extensive discussion involving a high volume of Parcel workers at other web boards. I would give you this web site, but then the Trucking Board administrators would freeze my account AGAIN for advertising a competing web board. Google it and find it for yourself.
nospinzone I have been keeping up with thread for a while. I am curious what is your connection with the organization that are mentioned here in this thread.

I sure will be glad when the company starts voting again terminal by terminal and again the majority votes to stay nonunion. Maybe just maybe this forum might get interesting to read again.

I know what your say Skeeter,I'm also getting sick of seeing post of new unions.
Whats going on with the union thats been trying to get us to join them for all these many years of strikes,and card checks?
The last we heard from them,was they were hammering out a custom,made to order Teamster contract for all of us poor non-union UPS Freight workers.

So whats going on with this latest effort?

Accelerator said,

Those few that you speak of were all across the entire Nation commiting the same criminal acts. The locals are responsible for the actions back then, but MR. H Lead the way with "contract or we will put you out of business". I will agree that the IBT does have some high quality people within. Heck on this board are quite a few Teamsters that are very intelligent and have great intentions.

Accelerator said,

So anyone that dislikes the current leader of the IBT or wants to represented by someone else is TDU? The APWA is not affiliated with the TDU.

Accelerator said,

If wanting to have a different organization represent us then I suppose extremist is a word to use, but I would disagree with that statement. I don't consider myself an extremist in anyway, shape, or form. As far as brokeback mountain, never seen it nor do I want to.

Equalizer

First of all I said it before and I will say it again, These act's you speak of did not infact happen through the entire country, nothing that you described happened up here . I can vouch for this I was working for the co. when this event in question took place.

You also say the local's are responsible! If a member of the APWA told you too shoot someone in direct response to a disagreement inbetween your union and a probable unionized entity to prove a point would you be so stupid?. Most people know right from wrong. I surely woud'nt.

The TDU is an entity within the teamster's referred to as the Teamster's Democratic Union ,that does not believe the union is headed in the right direction with it's current leadership.

I was also trying to make a joke out of the Brokeback Mtn. comment, sorry if I offended you.

But the move some are making in the direction of the APWA is a move too break the CO. A desperate attempt to keep the teamster's out and this is an extremest move.

Again if you choose to do so then what can I say , It's your vote, I too look out for other people in this Co. by making my vote what it is, and that is temaster's. I realize they have thier problems, but we as a whole " one voice " can change this.

A move in a non grass root's entity is gambleing away your future with someone who has . No bargaining power
No leverage
No bargaining experience
And a boatload of promises in a economy that is fluid in economic status. Even the experts are left scratching thier heads at times. The words " stay the coarse" comes to mind..... And as you can see, it's not working. If the APWA was such a good deal, then small package would have made the move in 2003 when this union ( supposedly) was established.

They too did not want to gamble thier lives away and niether do I. And I am quite sure, and confident, too say there is more that will say the same as I ,and a little less that will say the same as you, in referrance too voting in union's.

Accelerator said,

Those few that you speak of were all across the entire Nation commiting the same criminal acts. The locals are responsible for the actions back then, but MR. H Lead the way with "contract or we will put you out of business". I will agree that the IBT does have some high quality people within. Heck on this board are quite a few Teamsters that are very intelligent and have great intentions.

Accelerator said,

So anyone that dislikes the current leader of the IBT or wants to represented by someone else is TDU? The APWA is not affiliated with the TDU.

Accelerator said,

If wanting to have a different organization represent us then I suppose extremist is a word to use, but I would disagree with that statement. I don't consider myself an extremist in anyway, shape, or form. As far as brokeback mountain, never seen it nor do I want to.

Equalizer

Also not backing the majority and looking for something completely different in representation is infact an extremist movement. That in itself is a direct contridiction of what you claim not to be.

Accelerator said,

First of all I said it before and I will say it again, These act's you speak of did not infact happen through the entire country, nothing that you described happened up here . I can vouch for this I was working for the co. when this event in question took place.

When I say the entire contry I meant they were not exclusive to one area. I guess my statement was a little broad, sorry for the confusion. They were spread out across the country, but not every facility had the degree of acts that some did.

Accelerator says,

You also say the local's are responsible! If a member of the APWA told you too shoot someone in direct response to a disagreement inbetween your union and a probable unionized entity to prove a point would you be so stupid?. Most people know right from wrong. I surely woud'nt.

Your response in noted and taken, but when the locals were the ones telling these guys to cut airlines and such, yeah I would hold them accountable and the International as well. It is they that are being represented by the people that are doing said acts. If they didn't want it to happen it wouldn't have. As far as shooting people, I do believe that was exclusive to the Memphis area however.

Accelerator says

The TDU is an entity within the teamster's referred to as the Teamster's Democratic Union ,that does not believe the union is headed in the right direction with it's current leadership.

Well then I guess it is somewhat of an accurate statement. I do believe one of the reasons you are supporting the Teamsters is so you will have the ability to get Mr. H out because you don't think he is worthy of the job. Does this mean you support the TDU? You will wait a while to do that because he is currently winning by a very wide margin and looks to easily be re-elected.

Accelerator says,

I was also trying to make a joke out of the Brokeback Mtn. comment, sorry if I offended you.

I know you were bro, no offense taken.

Accelerator says,

But the move some are making in the direction of the APWA is a move too break the CO. A desperate attempt to keep the teamster's out and this is an extremest move.Again if you choose to do so then what can I say , It's your vote, I too look out for other people in this Co. by making my vote what it is, and that is temaster's. I realize they have thier problems, but we as a whole " one voice " can change this

I see this as a move in a better direction that needs to be done. I will agree with you that one voice is much louder than two, unfortunatley this is not going to happen.

Accelerator says,

A move in a non grass root's entity is gambleing away your future with someone who has . No bargaining power
No leverage
No bargaining experience

I understand what you are saying here and you are correct about the experience factor. As far as no leverage I don't quite understand that. When the contract is completed in INDY it will not be part of the NMFA or the parcel side. It is a stand alone contract. What leverage would you have with that? Nobody else could walk with you if you had to go out. UPS will protect itself from this, you can bet on it.

Accelerator says,

If the APWA was such a good deal, then small package would have made the move in 2003 when this union ( supposedly) was established.

December 2004 was the founding date of the APWA.

Accelerator says,

They too did not want to gamble thier lives away and niether do I. And I am quite sure, and confident, too say there is more that will say the same as I ,and a little less that will say the same as you, in referrance too voting in union's.

I don't feel the APWA is anymore of a gamble than the IBT. I know you are up in the N.E. area so the gamble with the pension issue is not anywhere near as bad as it is in the CSPF. As far as being confident and quite sure as to the support of the IBT company wide, we will have to agree to disagree. As you know, I value your opinions, but we just have different ways of seeing things. Nothing wrong with that.

Equalizer

Accelerator says,

Also not backing the majority and looking for something completely different in representation is infact an extremist movement. That in itself is a direct contridiction of what you claim not to be.

What majority? Your specific terminal? I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the IBT is far away from having any majority within this company. The APWA has already had meetings at a lot of the major hubs and will have another this weekend at two different terminals. Louisville and Lexington. Been to HRS, KAN, SOH,CMS and will likely soon visit DAL and FON. They have been to twice that amount of smaller terminals. It looks as if their are quite a few more looking at the APWA than you realize.

Equalizer

Accelerator says,

What majority? Your specific terminal? I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the IBT is far away from having any majority within this company. The APWA has already had meetings at a lot of the major hubs and will have another this weekend at two different terminals. Louisville and Lexington. Been to HRS, KAN, SOH,CMS and will likely soon visit DAL and FON. They have been to twice that amount of smaller terminals. It looks as if their are quite a few more looking at the APWA than you realize.

Equalizer

Equalizer, having meetngs is one thing but getting support is a whole other thing.

From what I've heard, The APWA did not make a very good impression on the HRS employees.

It is quite obvious none of you followed up on the reports you people posted about the helth and pention fund, as you see yourself, these documents were posted in 2003 - 2004, but you never saw the 2005 followup did you, as a matter of fact it was CFER that posted it. I think.
Accelerator,,,
The numbers and quotes I gave you from 2003-4 describe the financial crisis that CS was in at the time which required the drastic pension cuts--cuts which have not been reversed. But to satisfy your request for a current assesment of the CS situation, the Teamster plan that covers over half the country, lets examine the most recent Independent Special Counsel report dated Nov 2 of this year...just over two weeks ago.

Independent Special Counsel Quarterly Report Third Quarter 2006 (November 2 said:
Funding Status
As previously reported, in July 2005 the Internal Revenue Service approved the Fund's request for a 10-yr extension for amortizing the unfunded liabilities. This extension is believed likely to defer for the near term a statutory funding deficiency. The IRS granted the request subject to certain conditions. In general terms, these IRS conditions require the Pension Fund to maintain its existing ratio of assets to liabilities through 2011, and in subsequent years to show moderate annual improvements in that funding ration.

To meet these IRS imposed conditions, the board of trustees determined based on actuarial and legal advice that the Pension fund needs increased employer contributions. At their November 8, 2005 meeting, the board accordingly amended the Pension Plan to require increased employer contributions
SOURCE
In common language, the IRS cut them a break which will keep them from going under, for the near term.

Equalizer, having meetings is one thing but getting support is a whole other thing.

From what I've heard, The APWA did not make a very good impression on the HRS employees.

No, not just my specific terminal, There are alot of small term's in this company that better the personnell count of the hub's you have mentioned. And I know for a fact there will be a waterfall of votes in effect when a contract is in stone, so the APWA better get busy.

I got a question,is the APWA try to organize anyother non-union trucking companies becides the freight division of UPS.
I've seen posts from the Teamsters that say theres strenght in numbers.

Accelerator,,,
The numbers and quotes I gave you from 2003-4 describe the financial crisis that CS was in at the time which required the drastic pension cuts--cuts which have not been reversed. But to satisfy your request for a current assesment of the CS situation, the Teamster plan that covers over half the country, lets examine the most recent Independent Special Counsel report dated Nov 2 of this year...just over two weeks ago.

In common language, the IRS cut them a break which will keep them from going under, for the near term.

I will not deny what this article is saying, the reason for this extension, referres to the same reason's why FDX, Conway, and other entities alike and different of coarse, That have pentions , have been given time too work on thier difficiencies, this is no more or no less then troubles other companies have had in the past with pentions , and is not unique to the teamster's. And because of the deficit's in employer contribution's, and a shrinking # of employer's contributing, and rising health care cost's and market shift, which we have seen over the past twenty years or so scince deregulation, this was bound to happen sooner or later but the teamster's is not doomed.this is what adds to the deficits . I realize this.

But what I am gathering is just as far fetched as what I have mentioned about the TDU. You are simply saying that they are doomed and the APWA is the awnser. I still think a shift to the TDU is a better awnser than the APWA as impracticle as it sounds.

Although most of what the teamster's is negotiating with UPS currently will still have to be negotiated by the APWA. and the same rules still apply when it comes too benifit's, wages ,pentions, etc. etc. And does not mean the same diffenciencies will not occur in due time...

To be quite honest with you I would rather see us as a whole make our own union then join the APWA because of the people linked to the entity, But this also has it's own problem's if the APWA shuffles out one day or the big brown falls which is not impracticle mind you I am still a teamster and have the chance to be employed by a teamster co. elsewhere . Who else is in the APWA? They too as well as the teamster's are looking for thier own pockets. And I am quite sure if a union busting scheme is into effect, this will be the union to do it.

get a grip

Accelerator says,

Equalizer
i realy dont think fon is interested in apwa but ONLY IN TEAMSTERS