XPO | NO ICP till March????

True it is. There was an email out today from John L.

I'm sure it will be posted once your SCM has safely barricaded himself in his office in order to withstand the inevitable assault on his door once the word spreads.

But seriously, are you really that surprised?

I'm not. Mark my words, March will roll around and then it will be, "After reassessing our position in the marketplace, in the light of the fact that we met few of our proected goals for 2008, and the fact that our nation's economy is still in a state of uncertainty, any ICP payout would be so small that we've decided to forego ICP payments for 2008 entirely. We hope you understand, and will now throw yourself even more wholeheartedly into making Con-Way the Best it can be for our customers. Only then will we be able to revisit the potential return of ICP for 2009."

Apparently, 'Never Settle for Less' applies to everyone but employees.

Honestly though, I'm not disappinted because I saw this coming months ago. Would I like to have gotten it? Sure, but you're delusional if up until today you thought you were still getting a check in the next 2-3 weeks.

I am not surprised at all. With the overspending this company has done in the past 2 years and committing to go paperless next year with hand helds the money has to come from somewhere. The separation packages .. moving packages ... the one brand ... "the gay blue hats" as they were referred to .. the racing truck with a kid driving it and I have socks older than him ... gee what else ... How bout the rah rah trip for all the con tent inspectors that went to dallas back in march .. and some of them have been fired for ... integrity issues ... oh my .. who would have ever thought ... I am sure I missed some things ... but I know I have a good start to a long list ... :nutkick:

NO problem in xgo sure they got their bonus checks. come on we got great blue hats. one more shipment. (wich points are taxed) great nascar team. half oF fleet wich is still brown. oh!yea! almost forgot about the cool book. THAT WAS AWESOME READ. net profit of 30 million last quater. the company is doing great with all of your efforts. merry x_mas

welcome to new con way. only the few in g.o. will have happy holidays. now the rest of you rember. it starts with me. now get back to work making this company money

I agree that there is a lot of overspending and unnessesary spending going on in the company, mostly on the higher ups, but the ICP is a gift from Con-Way to it's employees. No other company gives these incentives. They never had to give us anything at all. I am happy to get what I get, or don't get, and I don't count on that money that usually comes in Dec. and Feb. Be thankful that you still have a job. You could work for YRC and be one of the multi-thousands that were layed off, Estes and Southeastern that had their week cut to 4 days, Fed-Ex that never gets 40 hours a week, UPS Freight that was basicly forced to join the (Mod cut rule #7) or any of the other companies around the U.S. that are closing the doors completely and no work or jobs available anywhere. There are hiring freezes all over this country due to the economy and it's also world-wide.
Just keep on doing whatever you do to keep this company afloat. Times will get better. It cost less to do it right the first time than it does to do 2 or more times.

I wasn't very happy to see the announcement, either, but as some of you have already said, I was not surprised...I believe many of us get insulated in our little world and think we may be immune to what's going on around us, but the fact is, nobody is safe at this point...I say this out of a sense of caution, not panic...when you do step back a moment and look around, take a second to be thankful if you are still working, because there are many who are not, and many more joining those ranks each day...

" I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man who had no feet "

Think about it...

no i.c.p.

well that just chaps my hide.... i was going to use that to inject into the economy to help spread the wealth. now im going to have to count on all the big wigs to do it for me:hysterical: well maybe that wont happen. what am i to do:sadwavey:i heard (just a rumor) it could be as high as 150.00 bucks,WOW. thats with taxes taken out.I'll bet all those f.o.s's are glad now they have that 14% to make up for there pay,oh yea and all the T.M'S too. Sure am glad im still driving,at least i know what my paycheck is going to be everyweek. Cant wait to see what J.L. and D.M. and all the others are going to take now that our stock has gone through the roof:hysterical:Maybe they can go to washington in there jets and ask for some money to help out with our i.c.p. payout.sounds like turning down the trucks and the ice program has really paid off for us guys.HAPPY HOLLIDAYS..

If you were counting on this measly check to profoundly impact your finances, you should probably take another look at your budget. IF this is true, so what? Now you can plan on buying that Bentley in the early spring instead of this winter.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!! (No, it's NOT "holidays", it's CHRISTMAS. Deal with it.)

Been getting screwed all year

This is no surprise at all. We've been getting lied to and screwed all year.

The Content inspectors told us in ops that if they were meeting their daily goal by June the ICP would pay close to 100% based on that alone. I don't doubt this is what the higher ups told them. Guess what, they've met their goal consistently.

We all put in the effort on reweighs, and produced a pile of extra revenue. Where did that all go?

Everyone of us, drivers and any other FOS' that may be here with us, have all frozen our butts off during the winter and worked near heat stroke level during the summer. I believe this company has one of the hardest working bunch of employees in the industry.

It shows in our numbers. Our company is profitable, we've got a better yield than last year, and our profit is unbelievable (30 mil last qtr). Yet all year they've basically screwed us on ICP despite hitting all of these great milestones.

ICP, contrary to what John L says, is not based on profit. It is based on projections. And the fact that they projected apparently great growth in a bad economy means we did not hit our imaginary benchmark that allows us to get an ICP.

So thanks for all of your efforts and all of the profit you've generated for the company. In return, you get squat. They sell that ICP as part of the package when you come to work here, so it's not an added extra. It may be a variable number, but it's not an extra. At least Clark Griswald got a membership in the jam of the month club.:nutkick:

Think about some things...Fuel Surcharges have been helping to fuel our revenues all year...While we are all enjoying the lower prices at the pump these days, as I am as well, the flipside is that our fuel surcharges are sliding back to near extinction...Admittedly we were tooling along pretty well through August, even in a very rough economy...It would be safe to say that none of us forsaw what happened in early September to the financial markets and has continued right through today...The pain is upon us, and we have a choice...we can take the medicine and plow forward, or we can fold up the tent and go home...I agree with you that the efforts of everyone all year during this time has been fantastic, and right now it is that very effort that has at least put us in the position to survive this mess...Yes, ICP is part of the package, based on performance...We stand to incur some pretty large losses in December IF the economy continues it's slide, and there are no indications that the slide will stop...
Nobody has lied to you, nobody has screwed you, Con-Tent thoughout the system is not at goal, it might be where you are at, it is in my place, but not systemwide...shipment counts are down, tonnage and revenue is falling, and we are on the verge of the worst holiday shopping season in 3/4 of a century...all of the factors and industries that drive our business are in serious trouble....
I too would like to get my ICP, but the reality for me is I would like to have my job this time next year....

As part owner of this company. Along with the rest of you.{or do you rember being told that in letter head and video} as part owner, i demand to know! where did all that money go. who is getting fat bonus checks in g.o. tell me drivers when is enough enough. i am happy with my t shirt that could be worn for a day. blue book. gay blue hat. your glad to be working. how much longer do you think thats going to last. sure tone will change after holidays. jan when the next wave hits,

No matter how anyone tries to explain it no one is going to be happy. The economy sucks yes ... this company has a bad reputation nationwide. Yea we offer the best service, faster to market in certain areas but the arrogance of one CEO that has been replaced has not helped our company at all. While a couple try to point to the economy I firmly believe that certain business practices, ie the overzealous content department, a jerk of a former ceo, pricing wars and a very apparent I dont care attitude by alot of people has not helped at all which stemmed from a certain former ceo. ICP has always been that carrot that drove alot of people including myself. While fatso sits in his corner basement office with that invented vice president of recycling certain feminine products for a greener society gets his ICP check in december ... I for one personally blame him for the most of the mess this company is in. Dave .. when you go to the bank and cash your check I hope you are proud of yourself for having a hand in destroying a great company. :Die::tongue0002:
John L ... I wish you lots of luck and a strong heart .. you are going to need it.

For those who have not seen the email.

Hello:

As you know, we are facing times of unprecedented economic turmoil, around the world. This continues to impact our customers and as a result our freight volumes and tonnage. Decreased volumes reduce revenue needed to cover our operating costs, significantly impacting our profitability. Because ICP is based on profit, declining volumes are impacting ICP levels which are now anticipated to be lower than previously anticipated.

It has been our practice in the past to provide you with a portion of ICP earnings in a first payment distributed in December, with the balance paid early the following year. Given the volatility of the market and its impact on our performance, it is uncertain how ICP will finish for 2008. As a result, we have decided to combine both ICP payments into one check, which will be distributed by March 2009. Given current performance levels, ICP attainment for 2008 is likely to finish with a percentage factor payment in the high single digits.

While we can’t predict how much more difficult the economy will get, it’s clear we are going to see weak and possibly further declining business trends well into 2009. There are many things we can do to control costs, retain customers and protect market share.

Now more than ever, every process, decision and customer-service encounter has an impact on our results. With every One More Shipment we gain and each cost-saving measure we take, it influences our margins and therefore our ICP performance. These types of actions take place at the individual level and I’m asking each of you to re-double your efforts in watching costs and helping improve revenues. By being efficient and focusing on the customers, we will ensure maximum profitability.

During these challenging times, I want to thank you for your commitment to our customers, our mission and our strategy, which will allow us to win at Con-way Freight.

Sincerely,
John Labrie

This is no surprise at all. We've been getting lied to and screwed all year.

The Content inspectors told us in ops that if they were meeting their daily goal by June the ICP would pay close to 100% based on that alone. I don't doubt this is what the higher ups told them. Guess what, they've met their goal consistently.

We all put in the effort on reweighs, and produced a pile of extra revenue. Where did that all go?

Everyone of us, drivers and any other FOS' that may be here with us, have all frozen our butts off during the winter and worked near heat stroke level during the summer. I believe this company has one of the hardest working bunch of employees in the industry.

It shows in our numbers. Our company is profitable, we've got a better yield than last year, and our profit is unbelievable (30 mil last qtr). Yet all year they've basically screwed us on ICP despite hitting all of these great milestones.

ICP, contrary to what John L says, is not based on profit. It is based on projections. And the fact that they projected apparently great growth in a bad economy means we did not hit our imaginary benchmark that allows us to get an ICP.

So thanks for all of your efforts and all of the profit you've generated for the company. In return, you get squat. They sell that ICP as part of the package when you come to work here, so it's not an added extra. It may be a variable number, but it's not an extra. At least Clark Griswald got a membership in the jam of the month club.:nutkick:

excellent post!

Next thing......get ready for this one, coming soon to a terminal in your area.......suspension of matching payments for 401k accounts.......due to the economic conditions and .......blah, blah, blah, blah.........we must suspend all 401k matching contributions effective immediately......Oh, and remember to get that One More Shipment, or we will have to think of something else......(Which of course we already have, and will spring on you most ricky-tick).....:TR10driving03: