ABF | "No more combining breaks"

This has been coming for a long time... Good for you stoney, You just couldn't leave it alone could you? Lol

Now what would happen if you took a 10 minute break at 11 minutes to twelve o'clock, punched the PDA at one minute to twelve,....waited a minute, and punched in your lunch? Computer would see a stretch of time between the break and lunch,...it's not smart enough to differentiate between a long stretch or a short stretch,....it would just recognize that you didn't string your break and lunch together. Only the dispatcher,...or what passes for management, at your terminal could discern that you've moved your break "pretty close" to lunch,.....and I would dare them to file discipline on me,...after all, I am following company directive to not combine break and lunch,.....by one minute. Do you think they would have the stupidity to impose a "buffer zone" of time between your lunch and breaks? Can you imagine the logistical nightmare that some drivers would create with dispatch if the "rule" was that you had to have a break at least an hour before your lunch? Do you think that complying with that time restriction would almost always come at the most inconvenient time......for dispatch? Guys,....if the local management is stupid enough to try to micro-manage when you're taking your breaks,.....then they find out you are smart enough to use their rules to make it "hurt",.....especially when,....as fully-grown adults,....we've been managing our breaks and lunches all by ourselves,...and usually,.....about 99% of the time,...we take them where they work out to the companies' benefit? The old rule,....if you want to treat me as a child,......well, then I guess I'll act childish,....for as long as it takes for you to get the point. ABF hires adults,.....so they don't have to worry about us when we are out of sight.........unlike other companies,......Right, Rollin62?........We don't have this problem at the terminal where I'm steward,......Past practice prevails,......and local management is smart enough to refrain from "fixing" something that isn't broken, and works perfectly..........

Stoney in my little piece of paradise
The OD people are told not to associate with union drivers
Their TM used to be a Teamster in his younger and skinny-er days.
The Fred X drivers will talk but only when another Fred x person is not around
Con- Job well most were Ex OVNT employees so no talking their either

This is a true story:
This is no bull****. One day, when I started at 0200 I was sent to Costco at about 0600 and had to be there by 0700 so there was no break, no lunch either. Like a good boy I go to Costco get tires off about 0730 or 0800 and take lunch break immediately afterwards. Remember I start at 0200. I drive back to near terminal and take break (1st break), get back to terminal and see that there is some apple pie sitting there. Now it's like 1000 and I started at 0200. I take ten and eat apple pie. Get letter for all those breaks in a row. This is no ****. Jerk off gave me a letter, since then he got "promoted" to regional sales rep and this is what ABF spends $100,000/year on.

Now what would happen if you took a 10 minute break at 11 minutes to twelve o'clock, punched the PDA at one minute to twelve,....waited a minute, and punched in your lunch? Computer would see a stretch of time between the break and lunch,...it's not smart enough to differentiate between a long stretch or a short stretch,....it would just recognize that you didn't string your break and lunch together. Only the dispatcher,...or what passes for management, at your terminal could discern that you've moved your break "pretty close" to lunch,.....and I would dare them to file discipline on me,...after all, I am following company directive to not combine break and lunch,.....by one minute. Do you think they would have the stupidity to impose a "buffer zone" of time between your lunch and breaks? Can you imagine the logistical nightmare that some drivers would create with dispatch if the "rule" was that you had to have a break at least an hour before your lunch? Do you think that complying with that time restriction would almost always come at the most inconvenient time......for dispatch? Guys,....if the local management is stupid enough to try to micro-manage when you're taking your breaks,.....then they find out you are smart enough to use their rules to make it "hurt",.....especially when,....as fully-grown adults,....we've been managing our breaks and lunches all by ourselves,...and usually,.....about 99% of the time,...we take them where they work out to the companies' benefit? The old rule,....if you want to treat me as a child,......well, then I guess I'll act childish,....for as long as it takes for you to get the point. ABF hires adults,.....so they don't have to worry about us when we are out of sight.........unlike other companies,......Right, Rollin62?........We don't have this problem at the terminal where I'm steward,......Past practice prevails,......and local management is smart enough to refrain from "fixing" something that isn't broken, and works perfectly..........

This type of advice is only going to get people in trouble......don't think this classifies as past practice..... Most terminals have dock workers that take their breaks same time everyday.....wouldn't risk it. Like I said before, dispatcher was probably willing to work with you as long as he could........ Thank them and try to work with the situation..

This type of advice is only going to get people in trouble......don't think this classifies as past practice..... Most terminals have dock workers that take their breaks same time everyday.....wouldn't risk it. Like I said before, dispatcher was probably willing to work with you as long as he could........ Thank them and try to work with the situation..

Yes, it qualifies as past practice, Brother. Management can not unilaterally change conditions of employment to suit their momentary needs. At least,..not in a Union company. However,....as one of the initial posters in this thread had made a point about how much your Local Union would back you,....that would probably be where someone would get in trouble or not. If the Local B.A. either does not understand the contract, or labor law, or does not have the confidence/courage to back up the members who elected him to represent them,......then,...yes,....I guess that standing up for your rights is going to get you in "trouble".......But then if that's the case,.... I think you have more problems than just having management nit-picking you about your breaks.............And......why should I thank the dispatcher for changing things around because he has the perception that someone is "getting over" on him? No one is getting any more than what was negotiated,...the only thing that dispatcher wants is the ability to,.....play around with the labor force. For this we should thank him? I don't know how long you've been with ABF,...but for years and years the culture at ABF was that they did not hire "children",....they trusted your decisions on the street,....and on the dock,.....they had an extensive screening process to make sure they had invested in motivated employees, because they did not want to waste resources "babysitting" their workforce. Worked real well for decades,....several contracts,....ABF management knew they were getting 110% from their people because of the way they trusted and treated their people. Really,.......that's the only way ABF got the U-Pack/ Relo-Cube programs up and running as sucessfully as they did,......with (unheard of!) Union People! Yeah, I know that other companies have similar programs,.....but their employees regard those assignments as "punishment",.......and there is no other carrier that has a program as successful as ABF's. No where near.....So,.......20 years ago, those lazy, stinking , thieving, untrustworthy Union employees made ABF's U-Pack program a wild success? So,.......what's changed since then to make management want to micro-manage when, where, and how? I've been here more than 20+ years, ...I haven't changed........How about you?.....or upper management?....any changes there?

This is a true story:
This is no bull****. One day, when I started at 0200 I was sent to Costco at about 0600 and had to be there by 0700 so there was no break, no lunch either. Like a good boy I go to Costco get tires off about 0730 or 0800 and take lunch break immediately afterwards. Remember I start at 0200. I drive back to near terminal and take break (1st break), get back to terminal and see that there is some apple pie sitting there. Now it's like 1000 and I started at 0200. I take ten and eat apple pie. Get letter for all those breaks in a row. This is no ****. Jerk off gave me a letter, since then he got "promoted" to regional sales rep and this is what ABF spends $100,000/year on.

I hope, Brother,...that you wrote a scathing, sarcastic rebuttal letter pointing out how petty, puerile, and putrid, the actions of that slug in human form were. If not,..I'll write it for you! Right up my alley! I had a running correspondence with Mr. Forrest,..the previous Labor man, that still has my B.A. howling with laughter............I severely detest small-minded tyrants who don't respect their employees......

I grieved it. In the meantime everyone in our region talks about what a jackass this guy is and how the company has too much money in their pockets to continue to carry this worthless POS on the payrolls.

And Mr. Forrest...all I can do is shake my head...

I grieved it. In the meantime everyone in our region talks about what a jackass this guy is and how the company has too much money in their pockets to continue to carry this worthless POS on the payrolls.

Aha!. So....you know of the estimable Mr. Forrest? Now there's an absolute waste of skin and organs in human form..............heart and brains were missing, but the glands that produced bile and vitriol were oversized to the point that he would leave a trail of slime when he walked upright.....usually he slithered, in his natural state when picking the pockets of working people, or stealing out of the collection boxes for the poor in various churches. He wasn't particular about the denomination of the churches,.....he'd steal from Protestants, Catholics, Baptists, Jewish,......even Jehovah's Witnesses, if he had a crowbar to pry the lock off the poor box. He wasn't discriminatory that way,....he'd steal unilaterally from anyone, and didn't believe in leaving anyone out,....if he could get his hand in....their pocket. Yes,...Brother ABFer,....Mr. Forrest is worth a shake of the head,....not much more than that,....if only to make sure that he didn't steal the ears off the side of your head.........

Glad you grieved it..........some of these morally-deficient "captains of industry" actually get embarrassed when their impecunious peccadilloes get made public.......

i think he's due to retire,if he dident already?

I also knew his predecessor and he was no prize either. Let's see what they give us next.