ABF | Not an easy answer

ABF is in the business of moving a piece of freight from point a to point b as cheap as possible. Damage claims are an expense of doing business. At some point the labor cost of moving the freight outweigh the cost of claims. Part timers brings the cost of labor down to where the claims can and will be absorbed. Salesmen will smooth over the customer. And if that dont work then they will find other freight to replace the lost customer. You really haven't been in this industry very long have you

I know guys in the business with 40 years experience, and they as much as you, which is zero.

Why are you here anyway? How could ABFs contract negotiations have anything to do with a conway driver? Are you bored at your forum?
believe it or not, your choice of concessions affect us also. change the rules not the pay. That's all I'm saying. When yrc took the 15% cut we took a 5%.

Sounds like your gonna be in the unemployment line if you don't adjust to the times you old fossil.

get your a$$ back to conway,ABF truckingboards will be just fine without you.we can argue amongst ourselves just fine.we dont need conway involved.oh by the way GET BACK ON THE DOCK.

believe it or not, your choice of concessions affect us also. change the rules not the pay. That's all I'm saying. When yrc took the 15% cut we took a 5%.

go to the YRC truckingboards and ***** to them about your 5 percent pay cut.dont worry when we get a raise you guys might get some of your money back,but i dont think so seeing all of the skeltons in you all closet.hint: never leave your closet door open

Instead of blaming ABF , trying lookin at who you pay your dues to. How many ltl trucking companies are they trying to organize? I bet ABF wouldn't even be tryin to change some rules if everyone obeyed the nmfa rules. Ups is smart enough to keep that dusty ole book outbid their contract cause it's outdated

Thank you rollin. I did not know that you guys took a cut after the yrc deal. that explains a lot.

Thank you rollin. I did not know that you guys took a cut after the yrc deal. that explains a lot.
not only pay, we lost a pension plan, they stopped 401k Match for 2 years, and we buy our own insurance that is outrageous. So basically, I make 11-12 bucks an hour after I buy my insurance and invest in my own retirement.

Some people dont see the big picture.

Here I'll make the big picture even clearer. What company follows Abfs model and has OR's in the mid 80s. OD kicks ass cause they copy Abfs model, no pension contributions, pays ot after 60, and drivers have to pay a certain amount of the insurance. By rolling out household services, now what do you need to do to compete? I don't think you can ignore this kind of trend as a buisness owner. Take some action

We are taking action. Have been for years. It's you guys in the nons that are stagnant and fearful. And darn right you guys have a stake in the ABF negotiations. If we take concessions, you will to....and have no say-so in the process. When will you guys learn that in this business, the labor force really does drive the industry? See how terrified your company is of organization? That should tell you guys something, right? As I've said before......to some peoples' dismay........being in a Union job is an intelligence test. Ask yourself if you passed or failed....

Don't believe most of the stuff rollin62 says...he only tells half the truth and is a big kiss ass. We don't want him back at the Conway board. You can have him.

I get your point, but here's the deal. This new generation of cdl holders dont know what even a union is. All they know is anti union videos that puts them under hypnosis during the training phase of their new employer. You have to organize all terminals anyway or they'll route around you. It never should have gotten to this point. Like I said, until it's easier to organize ( card check ) , it will be next to impossible in this new age to get new people on board. So , you adjust till then.

Don't believe most of the stuff rollin62 says...he only tells half the truth and is a big kiss ass. We don't want him back at the Conway board. You can have him.
This is a perfect example of a Koolaid drinking Conway driver thats a pro at bending over for nickel!

Upgf's contract is up july31st. What we as union members hear from our B.A. is that the medical will go up for union employees, and etc. We too want a fair contract, but the big problem is, alot of teamsters dont see the big picture, for example, some city drivers dont care about if contractors come in and run our freight, and that will put less union road drivers behind the wheel. As long as they can get a raise every year. Etc. The big picture is if we dont all stick together, they will be able to put loopholes in the language on the contract like they did on the 1st contract. And non union companys and their sales team hope for any kind of extention or god forbid a strike, if the new contract cant get put in place for either abf or upgf, these sales people are heartless, and will conveince customers that abf's or upgf's employees might strike or etc and customers want the shipping process to be smooth as possible. They dont want to think that their freight might be stuck on some terminals dock becuz of a work stoppage, look at how fed-ex tried to bury yrc at yrc's weakest time. They didnt suceed and im glad they didnt. And for the yrc concessions, once that happened, all non union ltl coms took a % from their employees. The union companies do dictate wh happens to those non union employees. And for those who say that unions are not needed no needed anymore in this line of work anymore. I beg to differ

I dunno, it looks to me like Rollin62 sees and acknowledges the effects of our contract on him, which is more than most of the Conman drivers can say. We are holding a thin thread, which is slowing the race to the bottom.

The Teamsters have sold out the UPS Freight group for their dues money and it does affect us. As it is UPS Freight low balls the rates to whatever they need to be to get the freight and right now they are crying poormouth in their negotiations. The IBT needs to wake up and tell them to get their rates where they should be, pay their workers a fair rate with fair conditions (and I mean total package) and force them into line. Continuing to give them sweetheart deals is not in any of our best interest.

Thanks Rollin, at least you told us and verified what we have preached and known. Most call us on BS when we go there.