ABF | One irrefutable fact

The general theme when discussing certain facts such as the losses ABF has had over the last five years, i.e. since the last contract, "No Voters" will inevitably say the company is purposely losing money. ABFer I don't know what you do at ABF (road or city) but in general most road drivers I speak with will openly tell you the company demands more today then they did 5 years ago. Our road board at 004 has gone from 275 to 160 in five years. So the company is making clear attempts to be more efficient at 004, surely you would agree the same holds true at your terminal? If they wanted to lose money on purpose as many "no voters" contend, why is the job harder today then five years ago? So no, by honoring a contract they signed five years ago, they have lost hundreds of millions of dollars and are not committing any kind of fraud.

No one is saying ABF is committing fraud. Reporting one thing to the SEC and another to the employees is not being truthful. ABF is telling us about a 265 million lost nowhere in the SEC report will you come close to that number. Even you have seen this in an earlier post. ABF is reporting real numbers to the SEC, so they are not committing fraud, instead just lying to us. If you want me to help you with concessions lying to me is not the way. I will not tell anyone how to vote but I will be voting NO. You know just like I do you can make the numbers come out the way you want them too. Take your tax return you can cut down on profit by increasing expenses. So if you are going to lie about this what other things will you lie about? This all started when YRC got concessions up until that time ABF was making money and talking about buying other companies if you remember, Since the concessions at YRC it has been all downhill for ABF. I do wish you the best vote what is best for you and yours.

This proposal is being sold by both sides, I know the companies side (even though I am not convinced of the amount of loss's). I have read the S.E.C. filings, and it just don't add up (YOU EVEN ADMITTED YOUR FIGURES DON'T MATCH THE COMPANIES DOCUMENTS). The Teamsters (IBT) also have a motive to make sure this gets passed at any cost (YRC AND THE LAWSUIT), So in my perception they have not bargained without conflict of interest.

The CSPF would not be underfunded if the Executives would have done their job and protected our future (money). If the IBT had not let UPS withdraw out of the CSPF, The fund will still be solvent.CSPF somehow lost 6 BILLION DOLLARS that was paid in by UPS for withdrawing from the fund. I know they lost it in the bad investments, but they should be held accountable, and make retribution to the funds loss's. In my opinion before anything happens to the pensions, the government should do a full investigation, and hold the executives in charge accountable.

Well I see you are still trying to influence with Threats of YRC buying ABF. TELL ME AGAIN HOW THIS IS NOT TRYING TO PUT FEAR INTO THE TEAMSTERS RIGHT BEFORE THE VOTE.. CLASSY....

In my opinion this contract probably would have passed, except the company and IBT, went overboard (concessions). We can talk about this every time, but this contract is not just about money and you know it. It is about gutting it. Tell me again how greed is not a part of it

IF THE COMPANY WAS WORRIED ABOUT IT NOT PASSING OR A POSSIBILITY OF LOSS OF BUSINESS, THEN MAYBE THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT MORE THOUGHT INTO THE TA AND WHATS THE BEST INTEREST OF ALL INVOLVED TO GUARANTEE THAT IT WOULD PASS THE FIRST TIME.

1) I don't pay any attention to posters on walls or DVD's mailed to my house. They do not have the scrutiny of the S.E.C., which of course the last 5 years of P & L statements do. I believe the net loss is 133 million. That is a pretty big hole in the boat.

2) No, if UPS was still in the central states pension, it would still be in trouble. Maybe not as much, but still terribly underfunded. And yes, the fund was mismanaged. Can't do anything about that now other than deal with the consequences. $17000 per Teamster just for the pension. Yikes!

3) Yes, there is a possibility that YRC will buy us. I am not saying they will, but they might. Again, this information comes directly from S.E.C. filings of YRC explaining they have to replace an aging fleet immediately. And secondly, the public comments of James Welch where he said he thinks its a good deal at $18 a share. This very much could happen and for you and other no voters saying it will not happen are the ones talking beyond what you know. YRC has defied our modern capitalistic system by simply being in business. They are in business because their lenders have allowed it. Welch would not make a public statement about having the funding to do this if he didn't have the approval of said lenders.

4) Can you envision any scenario whereby ABF Teamsters would openly acknowledge the need for some sort of financial relief as they enter negotiations? The contract sucks. And in my opinion, the final straw that really hurt any chance of this passing was the vacation. I get how hard we work for this company. I just did a lay down that had me run 1250 miles and I am now sitting at home building back my 70. But the very vocal "no voters" would have opposed the contract regardless of the vacation reduction.

The general theme when discussing certain facts such as the losses ABF has had over the last five years, i.e. since the last contract, "No Voters" will inevitably say the company is purposely losing money. ABFer I don't know what you do at ABF (road or city) but in general most road drivers I speak with will openly tell you the company demands more today then they did 5 years ago. Our road board at 004 has gone from 275 to 160 in five years. So the company is making clear attempts to be more efficient at 004, surely you would agree the same holds true at your terminal? If they wanted to lose money on purpose as many "no voters" contend, why is the job harder today then five years ago? So no, by honoring a contract they signed five years ago, they have lost hundreds of millions of dollars and are not committing any kind of fraud.

Nothumbleenough, help me to understand how ABF is loosing money. Revenue has increased. Expenses have decreased (less employees). Efficiency has increased by downsizing and consolidating management. Expenses have decreased (management has taken wage and benefit cuts). Yet ABF is loosing money. How is this possible?

1) I don't pay any attention to posters on walls or DVD's mailed to my house. They do not have the scrutiny of the S.E.C., which of course the last 5 years of P & L statements do. I believe the net loss is 133 million. That is a pretty big hole in the boat.

2) No, if UPS was still in the central states pension, it would still be in trouble. Maybe not as much, but still terribly underfunded. And yes, the fund was mismanaged. Can't do anything about that now other than deal with the consequences. $17000 per Teamster just for the pension. Yikes!

3) Yes, there is a possibility that YRC will buy us. I am not saying they will, but they might. Again, this information comes directly from S.E.C. filings of YRC explaining they have to replace an aging fleet immediately. And secondly, the public comments of James Welch where he said he thinks its a good deal at $18 a share. This very much could happen and for you and other no voters saying it will not happen are the ones talking beyond what you know. YRC has defied our modern capitalistic system by simply being in business. They are in business because their lenders have allowed it. Welch would not make a public statement about having the funding to do this if he didn't have the approval of said lenders.

4) Can you envision any scenario whereby ABF Teamsters would openly acknowledge the need for some sort of financial relief as they enter negotiations? The contract sucks. And in my opinion, the final straw that really hurt any chance of this passing was the vacation. I get how hard we work for this company. I just did a lay down that had me run 1250 miles and I am now sitting at home building back my 70. But the very vocal "no voters" would have opposed the contract regardless of the vacation reduction.

Just FYI I bought ABFS stock last November; 100 shares at $7.00 and 350 shares at $6.50. I sold all at $8.40 because I had made 20% and I took the money. Why didn’t YRC buy it then if they think $18.00 is a good price? Book value is over $17.00 a share.

No one is saying ABF is committing fraud. Reporting one thing to the SEC and another to the employees is not being truthful. ABF is telling us about a 265 million lost nowhere in the SEC report will you come close to that number. Even you have seen this in an earlier post. ABF is reporting real numbers to the SEC, so they are not committing fraud, instead just lying to us. If you want me to help you with concessions lying to me is not the way. I will not tell anyone how to vote but I will be voting NO. You know just like I do you can make the numbers come out the way you want them too. Take your tax return you can cut down on profit by increasing expenses. So if you are going to lie about this what other things will you lie about? This all started when YRC got concessions up until that time ABF was making money and talking about buying other companies if you remember, Since the concessions at YRC it has been all downhill for ABF. I do wish you the best vote what is best for you and yours.

I believe ABF management is fixated on the concessions YRC received. They want them and they are doing what they can to get them. When Yellow bought Roadway it dramatically increased expenses for YRC. More loan payments, more insurance payments on property, more maintenance payments on property, more property tax payments, more nuisance expenses to check on unused property (closed terminals). All things that gave ABF a competitive advantage over YRC. And management saw a chance to get even for the last 2 contracts and years of hurt feelings during grievances. Then YRC got concessions. That was just salt in the wound.

How would you like to deal with the contract we are voting on at ups freight. New line haul board at 42 cents a mile and $15.00 an hour.
Can you imagine ABFers voting yes on that. Yet we are in fear this just might very well pass. There are a lot of worse things in it also I
won't bring up. It is a sad day for trucking...

Those clowns (OD) are a bunch of reject drivers that got canned from other LTL companies for accidents etc. and are just glad to have a job. NO Overtime? Bunch of dumb asses working straight time for 60hrs.

I agree. And you have my hopes and prayers you get a no vote and a better T/A next time. I listen to your guys at local 728 each month and it does not sound good.

Those clowns (OD) are a bunch of reject drivers that got canned from other LTL companies for accidents etc. and are just glad to have a job. NO Overtime? Bunch of dumb asses working straight time for 60hrs.

That's pretty brutal nightlinedr55. I would be thankful for any job to feed my family...

This has to be the most ridiculous statement i think i have ever read on this board, that I don't even know how to respond!

I thought he was talking about the R&L drivers, now I see he's referring to the Old Dominican guys.

I think we all try to get the best job we can. There are a lot of jobs that are good stepping stones. People shouldn't be called names for working for a company that doesn't pay or have the same benefits of another. But is is honorable to work and provide for your family. Not matter what the job is or what it pays.

I think we all try to get the best job we can. There are a lot of jobs that are good stepping stones. People shouldn't be called names for working for a company that doesn't pay or have the same benefits of another. But is is honorable to work and provide for your family. Not matter what the job is or what it pays.
Yes and no. Do we say the same for Wal-Mart?

You have to remember he is young. He has not had enough life experiences to know anything. I can’t fault him because when I was young and innocent I thought I knew it all. I remember my dad telling me to write everything down because one day I would find out I did not know it all. And he was right life has turned and bitten me several times. That is why I am skeptical of most things. And why I require proof or at least evidence before I accept any claims.

The hell are you talking about? You asked if u believed Enron's numbers. I said how can I as its already been proven they lied?

Young? How old do you think I am?

Now you said..... "And why I require proof or at least evidence before I accept any claims."......
Ok, but you need no proof or evidence to claim ABF is lying?

Stoney, you explain the numbers discrepancy in the ABFS 2012 Annual Report? If that is not evidence then what do you call it? An accounting error?

Well well well, how is it that management the (bumblerenough) comes here to truckingboards to spread its' own special brand of sauce called bull schittz. YRC is no longer interested in ABF because they don't think they can handle the 5,000 ticked off former ABF employees, and take on the debt it would take to buy this. Don't kid yourself, if that happens, most of us will be on our way to all of those non-unions that are the competition and bring our customers with us. If you dummies don't think our customers would be willing to follow us, the people who actually see and interact with our customers daily, you're sadly mistaken. Central States is going to be in the crapper in about 5 years, so what is keeping the younger guys from going to any of the other non-union companies that you've mentioned and securing their futures by bringing their customers, and getting a 401k with a match of some sort, profit sharing or even their own savings that nobody can take away from them.

You want a weeks vacation, huh? So if this gets voted down, you'll take the sick days, and give us the vacation back. Further, in order to make up for the difference, they'll raise the purchased transportation to 12%.

You want to put a gps chip on us, and cameras in the trucks? What happened to the IBT FIGHTING this nonsense for the last 50 years? I am ashamed of the committee for allowing the crap to be published.

There are so many concessions in this writ of stupidity, that anyone that votes to ratify this nonsense is either blind, or illiterate, or reading your words as gospel.

We are NOT going to work for YRC we will work for a future elsewhere. Without fail.

Oh by the way, before I go for now, explain to me about these SEC filings for "confidentiality agreements" that hide certain accounts from the public's eye.

Get a grip notbumblerenough, we are not without options here. Our options may not be in the best interest of yours, or the other management. We know you are management.

Well well well, how is it that management the (bumblerenough) comes here to truckingboards to spread its' own special brand of sauce called bull schittz. YRC is no longer interested in ABF because they don't think they can handle the 5,000 ticked off former ABF employees, and take on the debt it would take to buy this. Don't kid yourself, if that happens, most of us will be on our way to all of those non-unions that are the competition and bring our customers with us. If you dummies don't think our customers would be willing to follow us, the people who actually see and interact with our customers daily, you're sadly mistaken. Central States is going to be in the crapper in about 5 years, so what is keeping the younger guys from going to any of the other non-union companies that you've mentioned and securing their futures by bringing their customers, and getting a 401k with a match of some sort, profit sharing or even their own savings that nobody can take away from them.

You want a weeks vacation, huh? So if this gets voted down, you'll take the sick days, and give us the vacation back. Further, in order to make up for the difference, they'll raise the purchased transportation to 12%.

You want to put a gps chip on us, and cameras in the trucks? What happened to the IBT FIGHTING this nonsense for the last 50 years? I am ashamed of the committee for allowing the crap to be published.

There are so many concessions in this writ of stupidity, that anyone that votes to ratify this nonsense is either blind, or illiterate, or reading your words as gospel.

We are NOT going to work for YRC we will work for a future elsewhere. Without fail.

Oh by the way, before I go for now, explain to me about these SEC filings for "confidentiality agreements" that hide certain accounts from the public's eye.

Get a grip notbumblerenough, we are not without options here. Our options may not be in the best interest of yours, or the other management. We know you are management.
Hey Mikey!? Sorry to tell ya Hoffa's been workin' for for the "MAN" for a bit now! Zombie Nation just never realized it! For you and me......Too Late!