XPO | OSHA targets con-way over forklift death

It is too bad the company is held responsible for the actions of an employee not smart enough to wear the appropriate safety equipment. What ever happened to "personal responsibility"? The company shouldn't have to tell you to do the right thing, you should be responsible enough to do it yourself.

More idiotic nanny state BS.

Tell Safety man Ron S. 2nd shift at LCP, he'll agree with you. A$$@LE!:1036316054:

I do believe Con-way cares about someone losing their life. However, I believe they care more about the bottom line than the person's loss of life.

It is clear that Con-Way blatantly ignores safety regulations. However, it is just as much the operators responsibility to follow safety rules and use some common sense.

Which regulations do they ignore?

This company, and many others have gone from greedy to MORE greedy, what is it going to cost me?
If you think otherwise, you need to wake up and smell the coffee!!!

Yes you should. You obviously have never seen the face of (what used to be) the president when he learned that an employee had died.

They, then, turn to working on the details of what happened. They don't do anything regarding a lawsuit until one has been filed, except for gathering the details of what happened. The decision of settling (or whatever) is the lawyers' jobs.

I am a Roadway combination driver and I hate to see anyone get hurt at work or in this case loose their life.
While your minds are on fork-lift safety I would like to point out something I see happening day after day at the terminal I work at. People driving the fork-lift with their leg hanging over the side. This is a crushed leg accident just waiting to happen.
Remember, were all in this together.

if we choose to wear a seatbelt on a con way fork lift .....how could we, they have been removed and or deleted them from TOYOTA's spec's, when they were ordered per conways specs, if we wanted to follow osha's mandated guidelines how could we...........i am sure i asked about this at one time and was told we were exempt from them...............looks like that was not so....if we got fined for it.....

"This was a tragic, unfortunate accident which we believe occurred as a result of misjudgment by the employee, who had been fully trained in the proper operation and safety procedures of the equipment."
Above quote from this link Con-way Freight fined for forklift death

This is the biggest "politically correct protect yourself bull crap statement" that has come out of this guys mouth! Fully trained my butt!
They have no OSHA certification! They have some crap Con-way forklift drivers license.
They don't follow the forklift certification process as the trainer is in a damn hurry to get the training out of their way. They almost always pass you regardless.
Kudos to the terminals that followed the certifications to the "T" and took a few hours to forklift train

I also don't recall Con-way stressing the importance of using seatbelts. Some FOS's have even said it is not necessary because you get on and off the jeep often.

It's not a choice to wear them regardless of how many times you get on and off the forklift. No matter how inconvenient it may be, You must wear them period!
If they removed them I hope they get fined even more. Thats just absurd!

FOS should monitor seat belt usage as much as they monitor back belt usage.
Personal Safety should be observed at all times. You see a seatbelt use it! Be aware of your surroundings when on a forklift.

Open docks with no trailers need to be blocked.

I feel bad for that person who died.

Had He survived he would of received an automatic 3 points.

I am a Roadway combination driver and I hate to see anyone get hurt at work or in this case loose their life.
While your minds are on fork-lift safety I would like to point out something I see happening day after day at the terminal I work at. People driving the fork-lift with their leg hanging over the side. This is a crushed leg accident just waiting to happen.
Remember, were all in this together.
This should probably be a whole new thread, but I agree with you completely. How insane is it to leave your foot hanging off the side of the forklift?:shock: I see guys doing this ALL the time, new and old alike. I see FOS's not saying a word to them either.:shrug: I mention it in a light-hearted manner and they just laugh it off, they just don't see the danger.:duh: Amazing.

This was an unfortunate accident and my prayers go out to this mans family.

I have been in LTL for over twenty years and have seen much foklift use and abuse. First of all with very few exceptions all con-way employees are class A CDL drivers. Anyone who can pass the written and physical CDL test should have enough common sense to operate a forklift and not have to be seperately trained. Second, all Con-way employees must watch a series of safety and training videos before they can work. Forklift safety is part of it and shows you should use a seat belt. Everyone signs a receipt that they watched the video.

Seatbelts are not required on forklifts. Manufacturers put them on to relieve themselves of liability if someone gets hurt. The manufacturers know that people will not wear them but absolve themselves from liability by saying the user did not follow recomended operating proceedures.

I left NEMF ten years ago. They had forklifts that they cut the safety cages off of them! While I was there they bought electric forklifts. These would not operate unless the seatbelt was connected. Everyone there knew that and on every forklift the seatbeld was hooked behind the seat.

A previous reply by the Roadway driver mentioned people driving with their leg hanging off of the forklift. This is commonplace. What about the number of times people get off of the forklift, leave it running and are stand or work in front of it.

I read these posts and all I read is bashing of every little things that is done. Yes there are some stupid things being done that are brought up and should be discussed. The complaining about things like hats, painting wheel wells, TV ads are just petty.

As I aluded to earlier, anyone who is a CDL driver and can handle a set of doubles on a highway should have enough common sense and be man enough to operate a forklift properly whithout having to be told!

First of all with very few exceptions all con-way employees are class A CDL drivers. Anyone who can pass the written and physical CDL test should have enough common sense to operate a forklift and not have to be seperately trained. Second, all Con-way employees must watch a series of safety and training videos before they can work. Forklift safety is part of it and shows you should use a seat belt. Everyone signs a receipt that they watched the video.

Out of curiosity:
Did anyone feel they were left stranded in a room to watch a multitude of videos with little to no interaction by the trainer?
I know I was left out to dry, with the trainer only coming in to see if I fell asleep.

When it came time to signing paperwork, did anyone feel rushed, fast talked, or just wanting to get it over with so you could buckle up the bootstraps and start working?
Did you read everything you signed?

I felt I was fast talked and rushed not to take too long to read everything I was signing. I took my time reading the documents and possibly pissed of the trainer. Oh well.

Not everyone who obtains a CDL-A with full endorsements has common sense to operate a forklift. Sure they can turn it on and move levers but if they have never used one, it is a slight disadvantage to the fast paced world at Con-way.
There is a learning curve in how it steer and getting hand,feet and eye coordination in moving customers freight.

Does anyone feel they were left stranded in a room to watch a multitude of videos with little to no interaction by the trainer?
I know I was left out to dry, with the trainer only coming in to see if I fell asleep.

When it came time to signing paperwork, did anyone feel rushed, fast talked, or just wanting to get it over with so you could buckle up the bootstraps and start working?

I felt I was fast talked and rushed not to take too long to read everything I was signing. I took my time reading the documents and possibly pissed of the trainer. Oh well.

Not everyone who obtains a CDL-A with full endorsements has common sense to operate a forklift. Sure they can turn it on and move levers but if they have never used one, it is a slight disadvantage to the fast paced world at Con-way.
There is a learning curve in how it steer and getting hand,feet and eye coordination in moving customers freight.
Exactly the way you said it is exactly the way it was with me and probably everyone else. I don't think it's isolated to con-way. It probably goes on at most companies in all lines of work. It's just never noticed or discussed until somebody gets killed.

Since this is recent, don't be surprised if they start making us use the seatbelt.

Seatbelts are not required on forklifts. Manufacturers put them on to relieve themselves of liability if someone gets hurt. The manufacturers know that people will not wear them but absolve themselves from liability by saying the user did not follow recomended operating proceedures.

Apparently the federal government feels differently...and not disrespecting you...but i think that OSHA would know a little more about this then you or i...

Wow...didn't realize those questions would be too tough for you....sorry for the challenge.

Not to engage in any form of bantering, flaming or anything like that...but i will respond to this..

I read a couple of your posts form fedex national...it is obvisous you are a new driver and new to the industry...your panic posts in the thread about conway trailers in a fedex terminal pointed these out...

further more, it seems apparent as you again make this obvisous with your strong dislike for conway...that you were fired from conway and probably fired after a very very brief term of employment...

I make these observations based on my experiences with people who have voluntarily quit conway as well as people who have been terminated (terminated is a word I chose to use for respectful people who have been involuntarily seperated from conway for cause)...you were probably fired for doing something incredibly stupid, were laughed at as well as disliked by your conway co-workers...and now you have a deep hatred for the company whose people and rules did not embrace...basic physc 101...

as I said earlier...you have a wonderful day!:1036316054:

Wow...didn't realize those questions would be too tough for you....sorry for the challenge.

Apparently you didnt understand the meaning of my previous post to you about having a wonderful day...so at the risk of negative spots on the truckingboard record i will offer a short, sweet, to the point, direct, no beating around the bush explanation of what exactly it was that i meant by the really obvious, tame have a wonderful day response i left you...

Take a hike...get lost...go bother someone else more suitable to your abilities...I am not interested in answering your questions as I feel any further debate with you would be a useless venture and serve absolutely no purpose...

Thats pretty clear now?? Right???

Out of curiosity:
Did anyone feel they were left stranded in a room to watch a multitude of videos with little to no interaction by the trainer?

You probably were rushed in training like everyone is...but i wouldnt think it was conways way of circumventing safety issues with anyone, probably more along the lines that they are paying you to move freight so the faster you are doing that the more the money is better spent...this company is all about making money, down to the very last penny to be made...they never have been accused that i am aware of, of thinking farther then their noses....

Apparently you didnt understand the meaning of my previous post to you about having a wonderful day...so at the risk of negative spots on the truckingboard record i will offer a short, sweet, to the point, direct, no beating around the bush explanation of what exactly it was that i meant by the really obvious, tame have a wonderful day response i left you...

Take a hike...get lost...go bother someone else more suitable to your abilities...I am not interested in answering your questions as I feel any further debate with you would be a useless venture and serve absolutely no purpose...

Thats pretty clear now?? Right???

Yes, it is very clear, you backed yourself into a corner that you are afraid to answer and are turning tail and running.

First of all with very few exceptions all con-way employees are class A CDL drivers. Anyone who can pass the written and physical CDL test should have enough common sense to operate a forklift and not have to be seperately trained.

As I aluded to earlier, anyone who is a CDL driver and can handle a set of doubles on a highway should have enough common sense and be man enough to operate a forklift properly whithout having to be told!

Exactly what I was trying to say...

Unfortunately, some around here would prefer others to tell them what to do
so they don't have to be responsible for themselves.

Instead of sparring like little children, having ex employees saying we need more rules enforced on the current employees, lets think about this. In my years as a forkift operator I have seen ( ONE) forklift fall off a dock. The operator parked it on a dockplate with a bad lip on it, and it angled downward, I asked the operator whos english wasn`t the best how he intended to get the lift of the plate ( and I would have pulled him off with a chain) NO Problem! I show you, jumps on forklift wheels start spinning on metal and forklift goes for a ride. And its a good thing he jumped off before the ride happened. So I would venture to say forklifts don`t " FALL OFF" docks. In OCT in the NE what was the weather? was the dock wet? was it covered with snow, or ice? Or was someone told to pull a trailer out that wasn`t loaded or emptied yet? THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME! And it`s all due to that gotta be on time mentality forced on us by our lovely management. I have seen this at almost every barn I have went to work at and my home terminal is notorious for it! So before I say good they fined Conway give me the WHOLE STORY! And to Lukes family you want that whole story also. My heart goes out to you for your husband, father, brother, grandfather, or uncle, whomever he was to you, he paid the ultimate price, which we do not expect to do when hitting that time clock...