XPO | OSHA targets con-way over forklift death

Yes, it is very clear, you backed yourself into a corner that you are afraid to answer and are turning tail and running.

Nothing of the sort...just dont want any more negative points added to my profile by flaming you and making you cry...so instead i took the adult way out and bid you farewell...

SEAT BELTS ON FORKLIFT???

Con-Way is more worried about how many hammers and crow bars and tin snips are at the sector desks they dont have TIME to worry about safe conditions on the dock MOST of our docks are so slippery FIDO (_____ it drive on ( thats their motto) MONEY is the root of all evil

GRAYWOLF he was being polite in telling you he did not want to discuss the matter no more... give it a rest!

I changed it for you...

If he didn't want to talk about it, he would have stopped responding.

:yawn:

funny thing: true to his argument...he needed "big brother" to come in and protect him from himself...:hysterical:

I changed it for you...

If he didn't want to talk about it, he would have stopped responding.

:yawn:

funny thing: true to his argument...he needed "big brother" to come in and protect him from himself...:hysterical:

Nobody asked me to do anything ... I was just doing my job.

The biggest so-called safety issue on the dock is if you are using the useless backbelt. So this seatbelt issue. Let me see. I take a breaker off of the board, Get on the forklift, seat belt on. Drive 50 feet, seatbelt off, open the trailer door, code bills. Get on the forklift, seatbelt on. Take first skid out of the trailer. Take seatbelt off so I can get off the forklift to look at the pro #. get back on the forklift and put the seat belt on and drive 100 feet put the skid into the loading trailer undo the seatbelt,get off the forklift to sign on the bill. get back on the forklift, put the seatbelt on again to drive 100 feet to grab the next skid and start the process all over again. Sounds pretty time consuming. Oh yea, you also have to reweigh that skid also. Looks like the reships will be shuting down even later. I don't think the seatbelts will last very long. HELP! The seatbelt is jammed, I can't get out! another forklift out of service becouse of a bad seatbelt?

forklift

Exactly the way you said it is exactly the way it was with me and probably everyone else. I don't think it's isolated to con-way. It probably goes on at most companies in all lines of work. It's just never noticed or discussed until somebody gets killed.

Since this is recent, don't be surprised if they start making us use the seatbelt.
i heard a dsr in the dfw area ran off the dock in ltu about 3 weeks ago. hurt his back leg and neck.

The biggest so-called safety issue on the dock is if you are using the useless backbelt. So this seatbelt issue. Let me see. I take a breaker off of the board, Get on the forklift, seat belt on. Drive 50 feet, seatbelt off, open the trailer door, code bills. Get on the forklift, seatbelt on. Take first skid out of the trailer. Take seatbelt off so I can get off the forklift to look at the pro #. get back on the forklift and put the seat belt on and drive 100 feet put the skid into the loading trailer undo the seatbelt,get off the forklift to sign on the bill. get back on the forklift, put the seatbelt on again to drive 100 feet to grab the next skid and start the process all over again. Sounds pretty time consuming. Oh yea, you also have to reweigh that skid also. Looks like the reships will be shuting down even later. I don't think the seatbelts will last very long. HELP! The seatbelt is jammed, I can't get out! another forklift out of service becouse of a bad seatbelt?
You forgot one step. re-couping and re-wrapping the skid.:biglaugh:

I found something interesting while going through some old paperwork. It's a small booklet titled: "Driver's Handbook on the Safe and Efficient Operation of Forklifts and Freight Handling". It's got a 4/99 print date from CTS on the back, so it's not current. The interesting thing is, there is not one single mention of seatbelts. Not in the pre-trip inspection part or the general rules of operation. I'm sure this oversight was taken care of in future publications, right? :grinning-smiley-021 RIGHT?:biglaugh: No really, come on, right?:hysterical:

I found something interesting while going through some old paperwork. It's a small booklet titled: "Driver's Handbook on the Safe and Efficient Operation of Forklifts and Freight Handling". It's got a 4/99 print date from CTS on the back, so it's not current. The interesting thing is, there is not one single mention of seatbelts. Not in the pre-trip inspection part or the general rules of operation. I'm sure this oversight was taken care of in future publications, right? :grinning-smiley-021 RIGHT?:biglaugh: No really, come on, right?:hysterical:

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds...seatbelts are good as long as you dont plan on getting up and down 40 times an hour...just doesnt seem too practical in our work environment.