FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jig Is Up: California Supreme Court Asserts New Independent Contractor Test Impacting The “Gig Economy” and Companies Engaging Independent Contractors

https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...-3-2018&utm_source=Robly.com&utm_medium=email

"Now, under the California Court’s new “ABC Test” for determining worker status, hiring entities classifying workers as independent contractors must be able to prove that such workers:

a) are free from the control and direction of the company in connection with the performance of the work, both under the applicable contract for the performance of the work, and in fact; and

b) perform work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business; and

c) are customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, or business of the same nature as the work performed.

Absent the ability to meet this “ABC Test,” all workers are to be considered employees subject to all applicable wage orders."

The Jig Is Up: California Supreme Court Asserts New Independent Contractor Test Impacting The “Gig Economy” and Companies Engaging Independent Contractors

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/jig-california-supreme-court-asserts-new-independent-contractor-test-impacting-gig?utm_content=48a435441ffc26d8c042d0c3f101996b&utm_campaign=Labor and Employment News for 5-3-2018&utm_source=Robly.com&utm_medium=email

"Now, under the California Court’s new “ABC Test” for determining worker status, hiring entities classifying workers as independent contractors must be able to prove that such workers:

a) are free from the control and direction of the company in connection with the performance of the work, both under the applicable contract for the performance of the work, and in fact; and

b) perform work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business; and

c) are customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, or business of the same nature as the work performed.

Absent the ability to meet this “ABC Test,” all workers are to be considered employees subject to all applicable wage orders."
The easy fix to that is to word the contract in a way that has the contractor waive that second one willingly with the promise that sole-sourcing their contract labor to one company ensures they don't have to worry about how many hours they'll work.

That being said, this is why FXG now only contracts businesses. The contractor starts a trucking company, and that company and associated equipment is awarded the contract. They also require any contract business to hire any employees outside of the business proprietor; subcontracting is forbidden.

What this will really hit hard is the abuse going on at the docks. It'll be good to see that borderline slavery put to bed.

Peloton to Launch Platooning by End of 2018

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/pelo...cL3h3NzFmQ0tueWROZmdWcnNPQzBkTWVKMjlHNVFvIn0=

"LONG BEACH, Calif. — Platooning developer Peloton Technology will have its two-truck platooning system in day-to-day commercial operation by the end of the year, a company executive said.

Peloton is in negotiations with a good percentage of the top 25 fleets on the Transport Topics list of the 100 largest for-hire carriers in North America and has signed a number of fleets..."

Service over profits: fleets use different metrics in final-mile transport

https://www.ccjdigital.com/service-...a3c973&utm_term=newsletter-2-daily-position-2

"Many less-than-truckload carriers have also created final-mile solutions by changing their equipment, technology and operations as the volume of larger-than-parcels (150 pounds or more) shipments continue to increase.

For-hire trucking companies that enter the final-mile sector have to adapt to a more service-oriented process for planning loads to meet consumer expectations, explains Brian Larwig, vice president of final mile solutions for TMW Systems.

Profitability is the ultimate goal, but competing in this sector is more about representing the customer’s brand to the end consumer and meeting expectations, he says."

FedEx to Purchase $6 Billion Group Annuity Contract from Metropolitan Life Insurance Company to Reduce Pension Obligations

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/1715696...ct-metropolitan-life-insurance-company-reduce

"By transferring these obligations to Metropolitan Life, FedEx will reduce its U.S. pension plan liabilities by approximately $6 billion. The purchase of the group annuity contract will be funded directly by assets of the Pension Plans. Following the annuity purchase and transfer, the Pension Plans will remain well funded.

As a result of the transaction, FedEx expects to recognize a one-time non-cash pension settlement charge, which will be included in the fiscal 2018 year-end mark-to-market pension accounting adjustments that will be reported in the company’s fiscal 2018 fourth quarter earnings release."

18 year olds and women alike, along with those of us already out here, all agree that the biggest issue causing the driver shortage is quality of life. Nobody wants to be away from home for three weeks at a time, living at truck stops for peanuts.

The additional thought I have about 18 year olds is that if they really want a CDL they should start on the dock and work up to running a yard horse and eventually city deliveries. The carriers should be willing to introduce them to the industry properly before sending them out OTR.

Seeing how carriers already aren't willing to train new drivers properly, allowing younger drivers a CDL is a disaster waiting to happen. Billy, fresh out of high school, gets sent to Pennsylvania for a delivery in some hell and gone place with a highway unit...what's going to happen? Low bridges, narrow roads, no truck zones galore...not an environment that I agree with exposing anyone to without preparation and training.

18 year olds and women alike, along with those of us already out here, all agree that the biggest issue causing the driver shortage is quality of life. Nobody wants to be away from home for three weeks at a time, living at truck stops for peanuts.

The additional thought I have about 18 year olds is that if they really want a CDL they should start on the dock and work up to running a yard horse and eventually city deliveries. The carriers should be willing to introduce them to the industry properly before sending them out OTR.

Seeing how carriers already aren't willing to train new drivers properly, allowing younger drivers a CDL is a disaster waiting to happen. Billy, fresh out of high school, gets sent to Pennsylvania for a delivery in some hell and gone place with a highway unit...what's going to happen? Low bridges, narrow roads, no truck zones galore...not an environment that I agree with exposing anyone to without preparation and training.
I agree on the stepped progression, in terms of learning more skill, then being molded into responsible professionals.

I'm not so sure that the city is the best place for the true rookie. It's certainly not the safest. All of the concerns mentioned are multiplied in terms of quantity. More hazards, more often. The road has different challenges that also need experience to conquer. Probably the worst place to learn, while the most common, would be OTR (irregular route), IMHO.

LTL probably provides the best mix, if introduced properly, methodically, etc. 1st Yard, then swaps, short line haul, etc. all provide known challenges. The key element is caring enough to introduce new challenges, as appropriate, starting with the foundation. Too many get thrown to the wolves, placing everyone at risk.

I'm not so sure that starting on the dock contributes anything to becoming a safe and responsible (defensive) driver. It does provide perspective on cause and effect on the cargo, which is valuable knowledge, but does dock experience translate one directly into a "safer" driver?

With Truckers in Control, Money Talks and Toilets Sparkle

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...as-shippers-luring-u-s-drivers-with-coffee-tv

“Carriers are now starting to score shippers and receivers, and the primary way of keeping score is money,” said Cliff Finkle, vice president of Finkle Trucking, a New Jersey-based company with 250 rigs. “I’m just going to say, ‘Your place sucks, and if you really want me to go in there, I want an extra $300.’ ”

UPS to Use Futuristic-Looking Fleet of Electric Delivery Trucks in London, Paris

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/ups-...abStEaUpRVFwvM3BIK3RKYkZkZlpNOG5QcXFOZDh2In0=

ups-electric-trucks.jpg

Tesla may be abandoning Semi project: Analyst

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/equipment/tesla-may-be-halting-semi-truck-program

"In the company’s most recent earnings call, Engle points out that Musk never mentioned the Tesla Semi – the darling of the company just mere months ago – until he was asked specifically about it by Phil LeBeau of CNBC, who wanted to know about reservation numbers and how far along in the process the development was.

Musk’s answer was eye-opening.

“I actually don't know how many reservations we have for the Semi."

I agree on the stepped progression, in terms of learning more skill, then being molded into responsible professionals.

I'm not so sure that the city is the best place for the true rookie. It's certainly not the safest. All of the concerns mentioned are multiplied in terms of quantity. More hazards, more often. The road has different challenges that also need experience to conquer. Probably the worst place to learn, while the most common, would be OTR (irregular route), IMHO.

LTL probably provides the best mix, if introduced properly, methodically, etc. 1st Yard, then swaps, short line haul, etc. all provide known challenges. The key element is caring enough to introduce new challenges, as appropriate, starting with the foundation. Too many get thrown to the wolves, placing everyone at risk.

I'm not so sure that starting on the dock contributes anything to becoming a safe and responsible (defensive) driver. It does provide perspective on cause and effect on the cargo, which is valuable knowledge, but does dock experience translate one directly into a "safer" driver?
Starting on the dock is a perspective thing. You learn valuable things about the freight and how to move it. You don't learn how to drive a truck, but moving a customer's freight undamaged is how we make our money and that is important too, to say nothing about the safety of load security.

As for starting in the city, it'd have to be with an already experienced city driver doing training. Why start here? Because too many drivers don't understand obstacles like parked cars, light poles, low bridges, low wires and trees, to say nothing of backing up. Learning in the city allows a driver to learn these things and how to deal with situations involving them. It's risky for those same reasons, but this is what the trainer is for.

Sending a driver out alone is something they need to be prepared for as much as possible. And the fact that most trainees are hitting the road alone after maybe a month of wheel time clearly isn't enough is why I think the system needs to change to better teach and train rookies. There would be far fewer damages to equipment and freight if more intensive training was given, and that's a priceless investment in today's driver market.

Status
Not open for further replies.