FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely this guy wouldn't expect full pay, being short two limbs.

xkEw1Rc.jpg
/

Is this the truck Donna ordered him?

///

That was one of our drivers...that’s in a construction zone where the road is all to hell...speculation is that the collision mitigation systems locked up the brakes due to the rough ass road through that section. Later the same day, there was another truck that wrecked in that exact same spot and there was a dump truck that rolled over in the exact same spot the day before!!

Red,I bet this is close to Peeler Rd., is the old truck stop around?
I remember when it was built.

Red,I bet this is close to Peeler Rd., is the old truck stop around?
I remember when it was built.
Close but no...all wrecks are happening right around the 63mm (Lane St Exit) in Concord. It’s an area of the construction where it transitions from the old road over to new road, then back to the old road in a short distance. They’re running 3 years behind on the total project due to various delays and it’s like they built this transition in a few hours in order to hurry and save money!!

Oh, and BTW, there is a Pilot off exit 63.

Peeler Rd is up at the 71 I think...and yes, the truck stop is still there....actually, I think there’s 3 or 4 truck stops off of that exit now.

Loves bought the old Derrick Truck Stop in 2012. They demolished it and the truckers chapel to build a modern truck stop. Used to be some good food in the old restaurant back in the day.

Yep, and the old Roadranger in the forks just across the river, Bills at Lexington, I wonder if Bob Walser is
still living? he ran Bills, His brother Bill ran the one in Fredrick Md.
Bob and Bill's brother Ray drove for RTL

Last edited:
https://www.businessinsider.com/trucking-shortage-eld-mandate-cdl-truck-driver-salary-2018-6

Another story with comments by Klemp. But the graph from the Bureau of Labor statistics showing wages in Chicago in 1980 @ 34.00 an hour? And now 23 something? Like to know where they had guys making 34 an hour in 1980.
Those are "adjusted for inflation" numbers... Actually, I can believe them. By specifically using 1980, pre-deregulation numbers they show the largest possible disparity.

"Oppelaar's first trucking job, in 1977, paid $5 an hour — or $21.50 an hour in 2018 dollars, he said. That was soon bumped up to $30 an hour in today's dollars."

Also it seems they are looking at "interstate freight driver" rates. No mention of low wage city/intrastate wages from the era.

NO question though, adjusted for inflation, wages did NOT keep up. Supply and demand. I can NOT have any sympathy for companies being forced to compete (in terms of wages) for drivers. Many of us remember, not that long ago, when the economy tanked and drivers were easy to come by. Companies enjoyed the ability to stagnate wages... Clearly that era is over for the foreseeable future, and there is some catching up to do, as these numbers show.

Those are "adjusted for inflation" numbers... Actually, I can believe them. By specifically using 1980, pre-deregulation numbers they show the largest possible disparity.

"Oppelaar's first trucking job, in 1977, paid $5 an hour — or $21.50 an hour in 2018 dollars, he said. That was soon bumped up to $30 an hour in today's dollars."

Also it seems they are looking at "interstate freight driver" rates. No mention of low wage city/intrastate wages from the era.

NO question though, adjusted for inflation, wages did NOT keep up. Supply and demand. I can NOT have any sympathy for companies being forced to compete (in terms of wages) for drivers. Many of us remember, not that long ago, when the economy tanked and drivers were easy to come by. Companies enjoyed the ability to stagnate wages... Clearly that era is over for the foreseeable future, and there is some catching up to do, as these numbers show.
Looking at it in those terms, yes, I see what you are saying. But so many truckload carriers have never paid their drivers anything but mileage. So much time is still spent wasting on duty, not driving waiting on shippers, or receivers. In the end the driver always gets screwed. I have no sympathy for carriers with 90 percent turnover rates. They do it to themselves....

Looking at it in those terms, yes, I see what you are saying. But so many truckload carriers have never paid their drivers anything but mileage. So much time is still spent wasting on duty, not driving waiting on shippers, or receivers. In the end the driver always gets screwed. I have no sympathy for carriers with 90 percent turnover rates. They do it to themselves....
The situation is actually improving. They've had no choice. I routinely run between Toronto and Moncton these days and my load is always ready. LTL or package freight heading east to Moncton. Return freight varies from Shep skids to Montreal, peat moss to Toronto or lead ingots going to the US. No waiting for any of them.

I hate delivering the lead, it's usually at Deka in Pennsylvania. The only place that annoys me more is Ceva Logistics in Nashville, and that's only because they turn a half hour trailer switch into a two hour odyssey of security gates and forms.

Workhorse electric van showcasing fuel efficiency equivalent of up to 75 mpg

https://www.ccjdigital.com/workhors...a3c973&utm_term=newsletter-2-daily-position-4

"...a fuel efficiency equivalent (mpge) of 40 mpge in a 450 cubic foot van configuration, the company said Monday.

The smaller 200 cubic foot version and its 75 mpge represents an up to 500 percent improvement versus conventional gas delivery vans. Both vans feature fast-charging capabilities and achieve 100 miles all-electric range."

Status
Not open for further replies.