FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
wSPjVn0.jpg

Big Dave ran out of Saturday nights Coop Xmas party, when Kim tried to kiss him under the mistletoe.
Underneath the what??

Trucking's dispatching evolution: Analytics now drive efficiency

https://www.fleetowner.com/technology/truckings-dispatching-evolution-analytics-now-drive-efficiency

'“It’s more like a trading floor. It’s not just one [computer] screen. It’s toggling back and forth between screens,” she said. “It used to be a roll of quarters and a fax machine. Now it’s the click of a button. We can kind of see into the future a little bit. We can plan. We can coordinate. We can coach our drivers to optimize their days.'

Survey: Fleets not eyeing speed increase to catch ELD-induced efficiency losses

https://www.ccjdigital.com/survey-f...rease-to-catch-eld-induced-efficiency-losses/

"Half of the 18.5 percent of KeepTruckin respondents who opted to speed up last year seemingly agree that it doesn’t make a lot of difference. Fifty percent of the fleets who said they sped up in 2018 said they noticed an improvement in driver productivity while another 50 percent said there was no impact. A majority (67 percent) of those who sped up last year said they added between 3 and 7 mph.

“Where you make up a lot of time is coaching your drivers to keep the left-hand door closed,” Digby adds."

Forget Drones. Amazon’s Jeff Bezos Needs Lots of Delivery Guys

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...eeds-lots-of-delivery-guys?srnd=technology-vp

"Bezos this summer issued a call-to-arms to aspiring entrepreneurs, offering them a chance to earn $300,000 a year by starting their own businesses making Amazon deliveries. All for as little as $10,000 up front, far less than the $250,000 it takes to open a fast-food franchise like McDonald’s or the $1 million required to buy a typical FedEx delivery business."

"If the FedEx experience is any guide, the Dragos and others could be building valuable businesses. Buyers for FedEx parcel delivery routes can be found in as little as a few weeks, says Tony DiNitto, who once operated routes and now advises people who want to buy their own. The price for FedEx routes have climbed over the last five years to about 3.3 times cash earnings from about 2 times. The average number of routes sold by owners is about 10 at an average price of just under $1 million, he says. One route typically earns about $25,000 a year before taxes, providing a payback on investment in three or four years."

Forget Drones. Amazon’s Jeff Bezos Needs Lots of Delivery Guys

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...eeds-lots-of-delivery-guys?srnd=technology-vp

"Bezos this summer issued a call-to-arms to aspiring entrepreneurs, offering them a chance to earn $300,000 a year by starting their own businesses making Amazon deliveries. All for as little as $10,000 up front, far less than the $250,000 it takes to open a fast-food franchise like McDonald’s or the $1 million required to buy a typical FedEx delivery business."

"If the FedEx experience is any guide, the Dragos and others could be building valuable businesses. Buyers for FedEx parcel delivery routes can be found in as little as a few weeks, says Tony DiNitto, who once operated routes and now advises people who want to buy their own. The price for FedEx routes have climbed over the last five years to about 3.3 times cash earnings from about 2 times. The average number of routes sold by owners is about 10 at an average price of just under $1 million, he says. One route typically earns about $25,000 a year before taxes, providing a payback on investment in three or four years."
Read the article. This guy in Denver says his drivers make $150 a shift, delivering around 250 packages,and can make $30-40,000 a year! After taxes, that 150 a day will shrink some more. Wonder how many stops in 250 packages. Only one that’s making out on this is Mr. Wonderful, Bezos...

Read the article. This guy in Denver says his drivers make $150 a shift, delivering around 250 packages,and can make $30-40,000 a year! After taxes, that 150 a day will shrink some more. Wonder how many stops in 250 packages. Only one that’s making out on this is Mr. Wonderful, Bezos...
That's less then my daily guarntee for just showing up and signing dispatch sheet

Absolutely agree. Still, the similarities to what I've heard of the FedEx Ground "experience" are striking. There will be a never ending revolving door...

A coach in the cab: vision-based safety tech gives drivers instant feedback

https://www.ccjdigital.com/coach-in...tm_term=newsletter-2-daily-position-top-story

"Drivers get progressive in-cabin alerts if they are distracted while a vehicle is moving. A driver is not alerted for looking at a cell phone at a stop light, for instance. The severity of risk is based on the length of time a driver is not looking at the road and the speed of the vehicle.

Drivers hear a beep at the first sign of distraction. If they continue the behavior the device will say “distracted.” After 4 seconds the tone becomes more severe to command their attention."

YRC disputes allegations that it ‘systematically overcharged’ Defense Department for shipments

https://www.ccjdigital.com/yrc-disp...a3c973&utm_term=newsletter-2-daily-position-4

"The company says the charges come “after more than nine years of diligently cooperating with the federal government’s inquiries” for shipments during a period before 2013..."

"The DOJ allegations claim YRC reweighed shipments and suppressed the results when they indicated a shipment was lighter than its original estimated weight, then billed DOD “based on weights they knew to be inflated” rather than charging based on the correct weight."

A coach in the cab: vision-based safety tech gives drivers instant feedback

https://www.ccjdigital.com/coach-in-the-cab-machine-vision-gives-drivers-instant-feedback/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=12-18-2018&utm_campaign=Commercial Carrier Journal&ust_id=124f9551466b2c5785e539d1cda3c973&utm_term=newsletter-2-daily-position-top-story

"Drivers get progressive in-cabin alerts if they are distracted while a vehicle is moving. A driver is not alerted for looking at a cell phone at a stop light, for instance. The severity of risk is based on the length of time a driver is not looking at the road and the speed of the vehicle.

Drivers hear a beep at the first sign of distraction. If they continue the behavior the device will say “distracted.” After 4 seconds the tone becomes more severe to command their attention."
Reading this article, and the direction they are trying to take it, they need to develop a robot of sorts that they can program to do what they want, because they are basically trying to program the driver. In my opinion, they are putting pressure on the driver with all these cameras, audio alerts,and now things like this that will say you are distracted.

Is it just me? I became sick over the weekend, and related this to dispatch monday. Had a fever of 100.9. Healthcare hotline told me that I had an upper respiratory infection that was likely viral. Doctor told me that if I went to work, I'd infect everyone I came into contact with.

I told doctor that I routinely interact with 200-300 employee's at 3 different fedex facilities. He said stay home please! If you go to work, you'll infect everyone because you're contagious until your temperature drops back down to normal.

Told him of the 300 or so employee's I see every day, I like and respect 6 or so, maybe 12. So you're telling me to avoid 6 employee's? He was speechless. He stated I'd ruin their holidays. I asked how that was my problem.

He asked me a favor...please stay home. So you don't ruin my Christmas, dealing with your co workers. I did. Good doctor. He's honest.

He then asked if the 6 employees I like and respect knew who they were...I laughed...you kidding? the 300 or so i don't would be butthurt and the 6 I do, would let it go to their head, and then I wouldn't like them anymore!

He laughed his ass off....

Back at work tonight....

Status
Not open for further replies.