XPO | Overtime Poll

Do you think a Xpo all drivers should get Overtime after 8/40 ?

• Total voters
No one disagrees with that . It’s the firing of people for a single event that is being criticized. Also a company that condones fast driving in and out of trailer that adds to it . Not have restraints at a open dock door or at least closing a door that is vacant . Simple measures that could HELP prevent such a n accident are not put to use rather it’s just easier to put a flat statement up saying your fired if you do this .
It’s my understanding that the company has resist osha rules and warnings for not have restraints at open doors on elevated platforms. We were told it slowed the operation down and it wasn’t convenient. Sounds like their not doing what is required of them .
If it was a osha regulation on the door having restraints I'm sure they would enforce it like the seat belts on forklifts. All it would take is a fine and they'd be forced to do it

A forklift drivers drive off dock tomorrow and gets killed. OSHA investigates and it’s found the forklift left dock because the driver accidentally backed up instead of going forward . OSHA ask what safety measures did you have in place to prevent a forklift from going off the dock Xpo responds well we told them they’re fired if they drive off the dock. I don’t think that’s going to cut the mustard. Forklift exit the dock not only because of high-speed driving but for a whole host of very different reasons . No one intends to drive a forklift off the dock. Conway and Xpo resist putting up any type of restraints or closing doctors because of the possibility of it’s slowing down the operation again where is the priority.

If it was a osha regulation on the door having restraints I'm sure they would enforce it like the seat belts on forklifts. All it would take is a fine and they'd be forced to do it
My understanding is that they have been fined on numerous occasions at different locations. They resist putting safety restraints in place because of the cost and its affect on the operation. I know this for fact because I’ve had heard it repeated numerous times by mid-level management. Going back a few years ago there was a rash a forklift leaving the dock and the car companies only reaction was to implement your fire if the forklift forklift leaves the dock. Not what can we do by train drivers are the consequences of speeding on a top or putting up some type of safety restraints or simply closing empty doors. No don’t automatically assume that people are driving off the docks during high speed activity I have seen it personally happen for a various reasons none of which clued it high-speed driving.

Let me put this scenario to get it this way. You own an apartment building multi floor eight stories high and you have balconies that have no railings on the site can you tell people when they signed the lease that be careful the balconies have no railings on them if you go off the end of the balconies your lease is terminated.Do you think that’s a legitimate deterrent? Do you think that would clear you of any wrong doing When an injury lawyer gets a hold of your case He’s gone a run all over you he doesn’t wanna hear that you told people there’s no railings there and if you fall off that was the end of your lease
Just because Xpo does not want to go to the expense of putting up a restraint system on open doors does not absolve them from creating a hazardous Environment

Last edited:
Is there ltl that have dock restraints, I've delivered or picked up at other companies and I don't recall any of them having some and if it's a safety issue is it written into any union contracts?

Is there ltl that have dock restraints, I've delivered or picked up at other companies and I don't recall any of them having some and if it's a safety issue is it written into any union contracts?
A restraint can simply be shutting an unused door if that all there is . Don’t know about restraints being in any union contract. I can tell you though if it was a union driver who slipped of the dock and it was his first event he would not be terminated.

Last edited:
A restraint can simply be shutting an unused door if that all there is . Don’t know about restraints being in any union contract. I can tell you though if it was a union driver who slipped of the dock and it was his first event he would not be terminated.
Closing doors in 100 degree weather isn't practical like we've been having here

Everyone is cool with others being terminated for less than cardinal first time infractions. I know many of us are perfect and it never happen to us . Team Xpo

Everyone is cool with others being terminated for less than cardinal first time infractions. I know many of us are perfect and it never happen to us . Team Xpo
If I screw up either on purpose or accidentally and break a rule that can cause termination, I'm fine with what discipline I get up to termination. We live with rules every day like speed limits and such, all it takes is not paying attention and going to fast to get a ticket. Do you blame the cop for enforcing the law or yourself for not paying attention. I'm sure even union contracts have stipulations on things that can get you fired.

If I screw up either on purpose or accidentally and break a rule that can cause termination, I'm fine with what discipline I get up to termination. We live with rules every day like speed limits and such, all it takes is not paying attention and going to fast to get a ticket. Do you blame the cop for enforcing the law or yourself for not paying attention. I'm sure even union contracts have stipulations on things that can get you fired.
Union contracts absolutely have stipulation that you can can fired for . Some even are one and done . The big difference is your given a fair chance if it’s less than a cardinal infraction throughout arbitration and even with arbitration you get a fair shake at a cardinal infraction . What do you get with us now ? 290 some different managers and dozens of regional managers that can be fair to totally irrational in their assessment . Don’t you think if someone is a good worker and muffs up 1 time in a less than cardinal infraction that he or she should not lose their job based on a system that has no base line standards? I don’t want **** ups here as much as the next guy and if they deserve to be terminated they should scoot. I know of a half a dozen guys that have been fired at our terminal since we organized and everyone deserved it ( accept the 4 outside of them that got fired for retaliation after our vote ) and the union said good ridden along with management.

There is nothing in our contract about it, but we have a rule that if there is no trailer in the door the door is either shut or two cones are placed in front of it.

There is nothing in our contract about it, but we have a rule that if there is no trailer in the door the door is either shut or two cones are placed in front of it.
More than we got but hey, safety first ! ( unless it cost to much )

I was part of a safety committee that made all sorts of suggestions as to how to end dock departures and every single one of them was rejected do to cost and impact on operations . I have been told directly that it is not plausible by management. So , the only thing they were willing to do was fire employees as a deterrent. Nice

I’m afraid we wandered way off topic here . The original topic was about O/T and as we can see the vast majority agree that all Xpo employees should receive o/t after 8/40 regardless of it was paid to them from the start .

What happens in a few years when your body slows down and you can’t do what the company says you should? Shouldn’t your time with xpo count for something? As you watch a younger faster guy take your start time and your run there won’t be a thing you can do about it. That’s the problem with pure merit based businesses; they don’t care about the guy who helped build their business when he gets older
I've never seen Con-Way or Xpo not follow seniority, heck where are you finding these younger guys to replace the older guys, the youngest guy hired after me is a few years older then me and I've been here 10 years..lol
You ask the FOS at my place they will tell you there best P&D driver is 70+yrs. The one FOS said that when he retires they will need 2 driver just to cover what he does in one day

Our lot is huge. One hit a light pole footing that didn't move at all. The other hit one if the metal concrete reinforced pole around a fire plug. It bent a little just before it ripped the hood off and nearly the steer axle. Speed was prolly part of the equation for both but with different endings.
The fired guy as older and had been a few weeks returned from a serious surgery that cost big insurance dollars. We all figured that's what is was about. Ain't the first time we've suspected that.
I do have to ask were both of these pole just put in the day before or have they been there for years. A light pole footing has a 40" or higher light pole on top of it and at night it lit up. Pole around a fire plug are around 4' tall and painted yellow. It's not like both were hard to see
This was 15 plus years ago. No strike system.
OK so this was back in the Con-way days were I hear they would fire you if they did like the smell of you fart. This was also around the time were they had drivers begging to work here and at other LTLs. Not so much now.

You ask the FOS at my place they will tell you there best P&D driver is 70+yrs. The one FOS said that when he retires they will need 2 driver just to cover what he does in one day
Then he should be getting twice the pay. Oh, wait, it doesn’t work that way when it’s up to the company. Any company. They all the same.

You own an apartment building multi floor eight stories high and you have balconies that have no railings on the site can you tell people when they signed the lease that be careful the balconies have no railings on them if you go off the end of the balconies your lease is terminated
You would never get a Permit of Occupancy from the local govt. So no need to worry because you could even rent the place

A forklift drivers drive off dock tomorrow and gets killed. OSHA investigates and it’s found the forklift left dock because the driver accidentally backed up instead of going forward . OSHA ask what safety measures did you have in place to prevent a forklift from going off the dock Xpo responds well we told them they’re fired if they drive off the dock. I don’t think that’s going to cut the mustard. Forklift exit the dock not only because of high-speed driving but for a whole host of very different reasons . No one intends to drive a forklift off the dock. Conway and Xpo resist putting up any type of restraints or closing doctors because of the possibility of it’s slowing down the operation again where is the priority.
I seen these so called restraints. In fact they are normal a yellow chain some are even plastic. Per OHSA that's all that's required
"For the clear majority of docks, a visual barrier is sufficient. To be as safe as possible, the visual barrier needs to be prominent. The barrier should be a bright color. Yellow is preferred because it’s the international safety color indicating “warning.” To be productive around busy docks, the visual barrier should be able to be installed and removed as quickly as possible. Because most docks have metal trim around the doors, a strong magnet is a quick, easy way to install and remove a visual barrier."
I sure that magnet will stop a forklift
https://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/16472-osha-loading-dock-requirements