Estes | P&D Drivers on the road

At least if they run at night the DOT inspections will not be an issue.
Kids these day's still wearing diapers, while you tan the leather on your butt some more.
Sir/Lady, I have been doing this for over 30 years.. "Sleeping patterns"? I've worked the city for 8 hours then made a linehaul run run at night.. Did I want to, no.. But I did what I had to do to support my family... If you chose not to do it, then I have no problem with that, just keep your comments to yourself... Some of our city guys will do it, mostly the senior guys... Because they know what it takes.. These younger guys, can't keep up in the city with the old guys... The TM brought something up to me the other day, he wondered why the four top senior guys in the city seem to never bring freight back, but the 5 year and below guys can't get theirs off.. It's not like they haven't been here long enough,or don't know the route.. Why? I could have given him an answer, but I don't snitch on drivers.. What it boils down to,about city drivers running a Sunday is, it's called, "having available hours to work, and refusing", or " no call, no show"... You can take it from there,as to what would happen.... I'm not telling you what to do,or what not to do.. Just don't complain or make up excuses..

BTW, usually Central Dispatch can tell you by 1pm EST whether you are needed or not.. If you run a 500 mile run and leave by 2pm, you can be back by 1am or better... To me, that's not "night driving"... That would be my "tater run"....LOL

You do what you need to do driva, we just have a different opinion on this matter... No one has to be right,or wrong...

This thread raised my eyebrows in the fact that the TM posted a 40 hr work week, off on fri. when asked why the reason was 'too many drivers on fri'. I call BS!! Then too many question were being asked about it and poof it was taken down,wonder if this is related to the above comments

I just spoke with two of our linehaul drivers, one gets in at 7am and the other gets in at 8am... One of the drivers ask the TM about the weekend extra running, and he said he knows nothing about it and has not received any emails about it.. Now I'm just going on what he said, take it from there...

With the new 34 hour restart hardly anyone that runs night will be able to get a 6th day in. City guys will be the ones that will have to move the freight on the weekend. And still have a "legal" 34
Maybe that's what the upper guys are playing with.

Sir/Lady, I have been doing this for over 30 years.. "Sleeping patterns"? I've worked the city for 8 hours then made a linehaul run run at night.. Did I want to, no.. But I did what I had to do to support my family... If you chose not to do it, then I have no problem with that, just keep your comments to yourself... Some of our city guys will do it, mostly the senior guys... Because they know what it takes.. These younger guys, can't keep up in the city with the old guys... The TM brought something up to me the other day, he wondered why the four top senior guys in the city seem to never bring freight back, but the 5 year and below guys can't get theirs off.. It's not like they haven't been here long enough,or don't know the route.. Why? I could have given him an answer, but I don't snitch on drivers.. What it boils down to,about city drivers running a Sunday is, it's called, "having available hours to work, and refusing", or " no call, no show"... You can take it from there,as to what would happen.... I'm not telling you what to do,or what not to do.. Just don't complain or make up excuses..

BTW, usually Central Dispatch can tell you by 1pm EST whether you are needed or not.. If you run a 500 mile run and leave by 2pm, you can be back by 1am or better... To me, that's not "night driving"... That would be my "tater run"....LOL

You do what you need to do driva, we just have a different opinion on this matter... No one has to be right,or wrong...

I thought expressing our opinions was what a forum was all about. We have plenty of city drivers who run the weekend. I do it myself at times. We have a few who will work friday and run friday night, i'm not going to put my license and job at risk doing that. We don't have any line haul runs that leave out before 8pm. If the city is slow and there are some loads sitting in the yard we have city guys that will jump at the chance to run them. As for the new drivers, i couldn't agree more. Our senior guys have to work 11-12 hours a day because these guys can't get rid of their deliveries and make pick-ups. And they laugh at the idea of making a p/u before they're empty, even if they're delivering to the same place.

What the heck is going on? Whats up is down and down is up! Guess theyre trying to p_ss everyone off hoping theyll quit so they can pay the newbies less money? guess they figure Extra board drivers arent sitting around long enough.

I thought expressing our opinions was what a forum was all about. We have plenty of city drivers who run the weekend. I do it myself at times. We have a few who will work friday and run friday night, i'm not going to put my license and job at risk doing that. We don't have any line haul runs that leave out before 8pm. If the city is slow and there are some loads sitting in the yard we have city guys that will jump at the chance to run them. As for the new drivers, i couldn't agree more. Our senior guys have to work 11-12 hours a day because these guys can't get rid of their deliveries and make pick-ups. And they laugh at the idea of making a p/u before they're empty, even if they're delivering to the same place.

Your opinion is received and noted... But I also have mine... Thanks for yours though, it was insightful....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I wouldn't want to do it. I've been a daytime driver all my life and don't like night driving. When your sleeping pattern is used to this, I think your just putting yourself at risk taking a one night linehaul run.I think thats why so many drivers are upset about running the road for a week, their bodys aren't used to it.

Doesn't sound like.. But that's beside the point...My point was, if you're going to complain about taking a day off during the week, then don't complain about your check being short if you choose not to run a linehaul run once a month... It was nothing aimed at you...

posted at my barn a list already to run six day.I guess they know about a boatload of freight comming.(i said sarcasticaly) ive sat and hauled empties for the last 2 weeks, but what do i know. im just the one who see's whats going on. not the one who has a degree and knows all.

Doesn't sound like.. But that's beside the point...My point was, if you're going to complain about taking a day off during the week, then don't complain about your check being short if you choose not to run a linehaul run once a month... It was nothing aimed at you...

After reading it again I see where I took it the wrong way, thanks for clearing it up.

Our TM posted a new schedule on friday and now we only have one city driver a week going on the road, starts tomorrow and goes through the first week in august. It doesn't even get to the senior guys now. Speculation around the terminal was they are preparing in case of a work stoppage at ABF because the master freight agreement runs out april 1.

I know I would hate to be "volunteered" for P and D work.I could and would do it if required but its a huge difference actually volunteering and being volunteered.I cant even get out on my normal start day,yet they are making city guys run linehaul???I guess the phrase "location,location,location" applies here..

I was driving by estes in smyrna tn, and i have never seen so many sets coupled in the yard like that on a sunday afternoon, looks like u boys r startin to get busy, i hope thats good news for all, the spring is here!!!!!

I was driving by estes in smyrna tn, and i have never seen so many sets coupled in the yard like that on a sunday afternoon, looks like u boys r startin to get busy, i hope thats good news for all, the spring is here!!!!!

They may need to start stacking our sets on top of each other. I tipped $ a hostler to dig my set out the other day.