ABF | pay increase

Just remember life is a circle. The union carriers might be on the downswing right now, but they will be back. Corporate greediness will swing that pendulum a lot faster than you think. You better hope that the union carriers don't go out, because if they do you won't have a leg to stand on to get what you want.

Corporate greediness will swing that pendulum a lot faster than you think.
Good post Big Daddy and I hope you are right. Everything in life goes in cycles from top to bottom and back to the top again. It feels like the top is too short and at times it feels like the bottom will never end but it always does. Housing, stock market, economy, all connected and all cyclical. It does appear as though we have rounded the curve at the bottom right now and things do look better. Let us all hope that we can recover to the point of prosperity that our parents and grandparents enjoyed here in America. A really great President (and Congress) in 2016 could do that for us.

Even better post ABFer... Time will tell but I do wholeheartedly agree that the mighty pendulum will swing back our way again. I hope Conway and FedEx really think about what they are doing and think of the big picture, meaning the future and not just the present...

Even better post ABFer... Time will tell but I do wholeheartedly agree that the mighty pendulum will swing back our way again. I hope Conway and FedEx really think about what they are doing and think of the big picture, meaning the future and not just the present...
Me too, LS! You saw how fast the Union effort died down after Conway threw some green out there...although at some terminals the drive is still alive. Problem is, not many young fellers are entering this business. And the ones that are want the money 'right here, right now' these days. Not ALL are of that attitude, but most.

I have several very close friends who work for Conway, so I hear a lot of the goings-on at their terminal (the same one I worked at). The latest: one of their guys will be out a maximum of 6 months recovering from surgery. The TM thought it would be 'wise' to re-bid the whole board. That makes no sense. Post a 'hold-down' bid for the vacancy, and problem solved. Can't do that though...'hold-down bid' is Union lingo! Bwahahaha!!!

The dirty little secret that so many of the non-Union guys try to ignore is the fact that they don't have a published pay schedule. Our contracts are public information, that's why they have legal standing. It's been long rumored in this area that the Con-Way boss is real good at making secret side deals, both with the "fair-haired" boys,.......and with the unfortunate ones who...."get in trouble"....,as defined by management. From what I've been told , every employee there can not discuss or compare wages, under pain of discharge. It's perfectly legal to pay each individual,...... individually,........but I guess the sticking point for management would be for the employees to find out each is paid according to management's parameters of merit. Non-Union guys might realize there is no ...."contract "...…for pay,.....just company guidelines,..... as per convenience of the company.