FedEx Freight | Pension for Fed Ex Frt.

I have pension at ABF. but i don't depend on it, I do my own ROTH and mutual funds. I consider the pension a bonus. If its there when I retire than great, if not, I'll be fine. Your better off with a 401K. All A pension is, is a lazy mans retirement. Someone who doesn't want to save for retirement but rather spend his money and think the company will save money for him.
That is STUPID!!!!!!!!!
Anyways investing in the market like a 401k or your own mutul funds, you will make more money. the market has averged between 10% and 12% for 70 years. So its actually safer than a pension.
I'm going to be able to retire at 55 without the pension, where as most of the other ABF employees have to work till 62 or 65 cause all they have is a pension.

stoneyABF said:
I have pension at ABF. but i don't depend on it, I do my own ROTH and mutual funds. I consider the pension a bonus. If its there when I retire than great, if not, I'll be fine. Your better off with a 401K. All A pension is, is a lazy mans retirement. Someone who doesn't want to save for retirement but rather spend his money and think the company will save money for him.
That is STUPID!!!!!!!!!
Anyways investing in the market like a 401k or your own mutul funds, you will make more money. the market has averged between 10% and 12% for 70 years. So its actually safer than a pension.
I'm going to be able to retire at 55 without the pension, where as most of the other ABF employees have to work till 62 or 65 cause all they have is a pension.
ABF Hope you don't get devorced and see half of your investments walk away with the X. Then you to might be there till 62 / 65

3 years ?

Root Access said:
Does anyone know how many years until the companies contributions are vested?

Root I think it is 3 or 5 years but we will find out for sure , I did look in my Associate Handbook from 10-3-2003 which was the last one we got and it did not say.

The problem with 401K is that you have the ability to loose a LOT of money real quick. If you have your money invested in high risk you can lose $20,000 in one day. If you have your miney invested in no risk then you do not get any return on your money.

The new laws on pension keep companies from just taking your money (can anyone say ENRON) or just deciding to end the pension after years of contribuiting.

Under the new rules you will not lose any money (like in 401K).

:moped:

According to the Vanguard website, in which there is a link to the rules of our plan..it shows that after 4 years you are 100% vested in the companies contributions.

I have done very well with mine but I play with it , moving things around and watching the markets , I lost money after 911 but I kept buying big and you should see it now
I think one reason some like the pension is that they are not capable of being able to do what you decribe above..they feel safer knowing a pension is there for them..
Every now and again I look at my spouses
401K and wonder if we should be doing something as you describe above..We are happy with our "mix" as of now but in the back of my mind I feel as though we might not have things right.. It is a tuff decision if one does not have the aptitude to play around with the market and move things around to benefit thier 401K..I voted for a higher 401K match though..I watched my Mom and 2 Uncles lose thier pensions and pensions just seem less likely to be around then your 401K monies..JMHO

They will take the discretianery 2.5 percent company contribution from 401 k and that will be the pension. I guess that makes it a wash.It will benefit FedEx somehow

It takes being smart to now what to do with "your money"I'm seting on 653.000 at 49 yrs and 28 yrs with the company and a 350.00 house

top cat said:
It takes being smart to now what to do with "your money"I'm seting on 653.000 at 49 yrs and 28 yrs with the company and a 350.00 house

LOL this post is very contradicting for those of you who can read between the lines.

And that must be one hell of a house for $350.00. What type of cardboard is it made of?

100%

Root Access said:

Root I called HR today and they said 4 years for full investment @ 100% .

I like the ideal of a pension. I think that the new law passed by congress and signed by president Bush address the issue of companies underfunding pension plans.

The hell with the pension.

I feel that my wife and I don't trust anybody with our (my) money since I have been in the business for 31 years and have been $crewed by the last two family business that I have worked for , soooo I'll take my 401K and invest it the way I want and take my own chances.