ABF | Pension Solution?

It is not the retirees fault it is in a mess for retiring! They made their obligation and the board has not done the right thing in speading out the fund's portfolio and keep most of it in stocks.....when 2001 came...everything went doen the tubes....now they FINNALY deversified the funds portfolio into other areas (bonds, tres. notes, etc) that will bring a much better AND SAFER return. The biggest problem for this mess is the IBT is not organizing enough workers in to the fund. Organizing 10-15 people in a new unit with an employer who cannot and will not pay into CSPF ain't gonna get us anywhere!...THAT is the problem....the retirees have done their part and have fought many more battles to get there then the newbies that have come on in the last 5-10 years!....KK
5 or 10 year newbies? I would say more like the last 20 year newbies.

Pension Funding

The pension funds are much like Social Security. Many drawing & not enough paying into the fund.
It's true that there is not enough organizing to make up the difference in the lost members from the bankrupt carriers, CF, Preston, NW, etc. I don't know what can be done to organize those who don't want to help themselves. Many are afraid to sign cards & many don't understand union membership. Many have been told lies about the Teamsters & believe what they are told.
What Mr. Davidson said in the past is true about the organized carriers paying more into pension funds than non union carriers.
If one more organized carrier goes belly up it will cause the pension funds to be insolvent.
The only solution that I see is to organize & have more dues paying members.
I think that the trustees have done a fair job of managing the pension funds. I'm speaking of Central States which is the one that I know more about.
I don't know what the companies under the National Master Freight Agreement are going to propose about the 401K. I don't know the total amount that would be added to the pension funds if they did in fact bail out.
It will be interesting to see the dollar amount of both.

I talked with some union officials today at the food drive about this issue. They spent an hour explaining why companies want out of the fund. They do not want other people taking their money and the companies not being able to do what they want to with the money. Central States is really not in that much of trouble. It is improving every year for the better. They are is much better shape than other multi-employee funds. There is one thing that you guys are not thinking about. If the companies get their way and all of us go under a company 401 k and/or pension, they can pull the plug anytime they feel and there is nothing we could do about it. Do any of you think the company will always take care of you???If it came down to you or the money, which one do you think they will choose? For the past 8 years, laws have been made to hamper multi-employee funds. It will go in cycles between Dem. and Rep. Before you let these companies pull the plug, think about what Fedex and Conway did to their Pensions.... They do not have them anymore. That is exactly what we will have if we vote to let the companies pull out of this fund. Then the fight all of our brothers have been doing for 100 years will be wasted. Just my opinion on this....
Very well said. This is exactly what I have been preaching to my brothers on the dock. ABF like any other public company must answer to the share holders and if they get control of the pension fund it would be another way for them to save the company money at our expense. Word is that ABF wants out of the Central States Health and Welfare Fund as well. If this happens we will probably end up on a company provided HMO which would be a terrible thing in my opinion. Just another way for ABF to save money at our expense and make the share holders even wealthier.

Just a fellow freight-hauler BigR not ABF.Personally if these companies did a decent match I have no problem with a 401K.My plan has made $$ for some time now and if Central states has lost great amounts then why let them mismanage your retirement? I am not very smart and if my choices have made long-term profits then why are'nt the unions bean-counters doing a better job? Get a 401k caculator and figure at a 160.00 a week at say 7% return will net you in 30 years, it is a nice chunk of cash. Now lates say you putting in 160.00 and your company matches say 60.00 of that refigure it at 220.00 That's A Very Nice Piece Of Change. Just my 2 cents I'll leve you BullFrogs alone Safe Trips and Returns to all here..

So you would rather fund your own plan out of your pocket while CEO's walk away with millions ?

Actually, it is just over 50% funded right now. Central States cut a deal with the IRS last year to spread the stock market losses in the early 2000's over a longer period of time, otherwise it would be less than 50% funded.

The pension fund is a huge mess! Too many retired members receiving benefits vs. the number of active workers paying in.

Well hockey puck their is one problem with that. The retired teamster members worked for over 30 years, most of them, in which case all those years contributions where made monthly to the pension fund, so when members retire the pension should be funded properly, why would current members have to contribute to fund retired members, that does not equate! The money was paid in all those years!

So you would rather fund your own plan out of your pocket while CEO's walk away with millions ?

No I would rather the company pay into my retirement.But also I think the teamsters in general have shown poor management of the fund.Teamsters for years have had funds paid on thier behalf and this fund underfunded? Bull-crap the amounts paid over the years properly invested should more than enough cover any retirement.It's like our Social Security problem they keep extending retirement age to keep you from getting what's your's,because they have borrowed or stole from the kitty....All I am saying is a good 401K match ain't all bad plus you have some control over it and can keep a closer eye on your money.The pension money paid in should have years ago been set up in individual accounts with 100% percent vesting after say 20 or 25 years with a portion going to cover your medical insurance during your retirement.
I hope we all have our pension waiting on us when we retire but I am investing in a 401K in case it is'nt.I figure if it is I have extra money if it's not I'll still be Ok. But I'll be darned if I retire hoping the social security will save my butt if my pension ain't there...

It is not the retirees fault it is in a mess for retiring! They made their obligation and the board has not done the right thing in speading out the fund's portfolio and keep most of it in stocks.....when 2001 came...everything went doen the tubes....now they FINNALY deversified the funds portfolio into other areas (bonds, tres. notes, etc) that will bring a much better AND SAFER return. The biggest problem for this mess is the IBT is not organizing enough workers in to the fund. Organizing 10-15 people in a new unit with an employer who cannot and will not pay into CSPF ain't gonna get us anywhere!...THAT is the problem....the retirees have done their part and have fought many more battles to get there then the newbies that have come on in the last 5-10 years!....KK

bottom line
we need to organize!!!!!!!:chairshot:

Transpoet Topics

Transport Topics Online | Firms Seek to Replace Pension Funds
NEW YORK — The top executive at Arkansas Best Corp. said he expects to offer his fleet’s unionized employees a less-costly company-funded pension benefit plan and withdraw from the current Teamsters multi-employer funds as part of a new labor agreement with the union.

Separately, the Teamsters last week confirmed that UPS Inc., the nation’s largest trucking company and largest single employer of Teamsters, has offered the union a similar proposal.

These developments set the stage for potentially significant changes in the way the Teamsters and motor carriers handle the distribution of health benefits and retirement payments to employees covered under collective-bargaining agreements.

Transport Topics Online | Firms Seek to Replace Pension Funds
NEW YORK — The top executive at Arkansas Best Corp. said he expects to offer his fleet’s unionized employees a less-costly company-funded pension benefit plan and withdraw from the current Teamsters multi-employer funds as part of a new labor agreement with the union.

Separately, the Teamsters last week confirmed that UPS Inc., the nation’s largest trucking company and largest single employer of Teamsters, has offered the union a similar proposal.

These developments set the stage for potentially significant changes in the way the Teamsters and motor carriers handle the distribution of health benefits and retirement payments to employees covered under collective-bargaining agreements.

Check this Protecting Your Pensions

UPS' proposal is just that, a proposal. Teamster leaders are studying the proposal now and gathering information from the Central States Fund to fully assess the impact. You can be assured that your Teamster leaders will not support any proposal that will harm any active or retired Central States member.

You may have also heard that CEO Robert Davidson of ABF has been giving reports that he would like to have his company withdraw from all Teamster pension plans. We will not permit ABF or any other freight company to do anything that will harm any active or retired Central States member. Please be assured that any proposal related to pensions from ABF, or any other freight company, will not be discussed until NMFA talks begin later this year.

I urge you to not be swayed by rumors. Instead, visit the Teamsters web site for the latest information.

Well that should put those rumors to rest.

what is at stake here is very discernable
companies want control of the funds for their own greedy purposes
if you think that for one minute they have a true concern for your future once you are not working for them then i have a bridge that i would like to sell you
the only concern they have is easy and cheap access to EASY MONEY which is your money
currently these companies have to deal with banks to obtain financing for their needs
what would be better for them i ask, deal with these banks or deal with themselves (as it would be them who administer / control these funds)
where would they get a better deal
what is going on at conway is a precursor to what will happen

in all reality the penalty / liability amounts they would have to pay, in reality would even be underwritten by us members
very similar and analogous situation was the contract where we got a bonus the first year
any subsequent raises companies paid to us was offset by the fact that the amount of bonus did not compound over the life of the contract
bottom line we paid for our own raises

same thing here
abf wants to write a check of 600 mil to 650 mil payable over 10 - 15 years
this amount will be paid
#1 providing they stay in business
#2 with windfalls they will reap in their creative dealings with themselves if they elect to stay in business
once again for sure we will be the one's footing the bill
in the 60's and 70' we learned what can happen to our pensions if the wrong people control them
the mob used us for their own personal bank
now the companies are/have to be seen to be the new mob as they wish to attain the same control for very similar purposes
ACCESS TO OUR MONEY

we got beat over the head once already let's not revisit that scenario:chairshot:

" You can be assured that your Teamster leaders will not support any proposal that will harm any active or retired Central States member. "
i just hope that this is not the same old bs rhetoric we have all heard before
i remain hopeful and optimistic

" You can be assured that your Teamster leaders will not support any proposal that will harm any active or retired Central States member. "
i just hope that this is not the same old bs rhetoric we have all heard before
i remain hopeful and optimistic
As a 25 year teamster I could not have said it better they want our money . We cannot let them get it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!! I would rather pay out my own pocket to fund my retirement. That means I have control over my destiny. Have we gotten so lazy that we think the companies & unions should take care of our retirements for us, and then complain when the system is not working. A 401K gives us control, if the the company goes under, guess what!! We can take the 401K with us. You can't take the pension. Yes I know the government says it will guarantee any pension. but who wants to rely on the GOVERNMENT! They can't even biuld a freakin wall on our boarders. and the social security program is a flatout bust, earning less than 1%. Hell I invest in Mutal Funds makeing anywhere from 9% to 16%, and i'm just an uneducated truckdriver.
All I hear is how ABF is being greedy tying to make a dollar on our backs. Well guess what! Thats there american right is to make a PROFIT! And for them to pay into a fund that is not managed properly, and there paying for CF, NationsWay, and many other companies that have gone under is not fair to ABF, & Yellow-Roadway.
Now I love the union, I'm a thrid generation Teamster. But something has to change. The pension is not working for many reasons. And I know we have alot of oldtimers getting ready to retire like my DAD. But I still have 25-30years to go. I'm looking longterm. Alot of you oldtimers don't think about that.
ABF is not going to offer a bad plan to us, that can't afford too. Not if they wanna stay in buisness. Too much competition like Fed Ex & UPSF.
I'm just saying lets have an open eye to what ABF is proposing.

Here stoneyABF have a few more glasses of Davidsons drink of choice.
kool_aid_1937_01.jpg

stoneyABF, I went thru the whole "company controlled plan", at my last employer, when they shut the doors, i pulled my retirement right out of there, the guys who didnt, there retirement mysteriously decreased, so u go ahead and sip that kool aid young man, you are thirsty!

Just visiting here...I kinda agree with Stoney,,if the compnay buy-out of the pension fund sures it up for those of you who are vested,I don't have a problem witha 401k.Sure I love the idea of a company paid pension.But lets face facts ABF & YRC need to keep the doors open for all of us to enjoy the $$$ we make working for them..Unless there is some major organizing effort to gain FedEx and ConWAy not to mention R&L I don't honestly see how they can compete...One thing I know for sure is this if our companies can't stay competitive we will all be begging the non-union companies for a job....:smilie_132:

Just visiting here...I kinda agree with Stoney,,if the compnay buy-out of the pension fund sures it up for those of you who are vested,I don't have a problem witha 401k.Sure I love the idea of a company paid pension.But lets face facts ABF & YRC need to keep the doors open for all of us to enjoy the $$$ we make working for them..Unless there is some major organizing effort to gain FedEx and ConWAy not to mention R&L I don't honestly see how they can compete...One thing I know for sure is this if our companies can't stay competitive we will all be begging the non-union companies for a job....:smilie_132:

so why don't we just take the NMFA and throw it in the garbage and just adopt all the non union practices so we can compete on an even ground

that would be what you are proposing
i'd rather ride my end out as it currently stands then to be a party to what you are proposing

it used to be the non unions were attempting to parity themselves with union work rules / pay to attract workers
now that they accomplished that the shoe is now on the other foot
union jobs are conceeding more and more with the union's permission in order to compete so what else do you want to give them?
don't be so much in a hurry to give up what i fought for, what my father fought for and what alot of union brothers and sisters fought for
after we give up everything we have then what's next "paycuts" "overtime" after 50 hours or even let's work saturdays for free
i respect your opinnion but bro let's keep it real
:butt kiss::toxic: :nutkick:

so why don't we just take the NMFA and throw it in the garbage and just adopt all the non union practices so we can compete on an even ground

that would be what you are proposing
i'd rather ride my end out as it currently stands then to be a party to what you are proposing

it used to be the non unions were attempting to parity themselves with union work rules / pay to attract workers
now that they accomplished that the shoe is now on the other foot
union jobs are conceeding more and more with the union's permission in order to compete so what else do you want to give them?
don't be so much in a hurry to give up what i fought for, what my father fought for and what alot of union brothers and sisters fought for
after we give up everything we have then what's next "paycuts" "overtime" after 50 hours or even let's work saturdays for free
i respect your opinnion but bro let's keep it real
:butt kiss::toxic: :nutkick:
A MEN TO THAT AFTER25 YRS I'M NOT GOING BACKWARDS, I'M NOT FINANCEING MY OWN RETIREMENT, WHILE CEO'S WALK WITH MILLIONS.