XPO | Poised for the Kill!!!

guys, listen...if yrc goes out...yes it will be a major blow in the industry...in an instant over 50,000 jobs gone,,but their freight still needs to be picked up and delvd...more drivers will be needed.those drivers will go to union or non-union companies to follow the freight..it will stabilize the freight industry,and make for stronger companies. i'm taking the optimistic approach here.

guys, listen...if yrc goes out...yes it will be a major blow in the industry...in an instant over 50,000 jobs gone,,but their freight still needs to be picked up and delvd...more drivers will be needed.those drivers will go to union or non-union companies to follow the freight..it will stabilize the freight industry,and make for stronger companies. i'm taking the optimistic approach here.

i wish this were true.

i am am very non-union stance, but even i see their importance and reason for our high wages and benefits. trust me i am very far from a union advocate, but you do not want yrc to go out. maybe lose some market share to us, but not to go out. besides our wages and bennies being instantly at risk because we have no high standard to follow anymore. think about it, there will also be thousands of class a drivers with hazmat and doubles endorsements like you looking for jobs, think supply and demand. If the supply of qualified truck drivers goes up but the demand stays the same, it's a shift; the ratio has changed and just like in the real world, the price will go down, the price in this case will be our value, which could be anything from our wages to our quality of work/life.

what we want is for the economy to pick up so we can be on the interstate and see nothing but yellow/fedex/roadway/saia/estes/con-way sets for as far as the eye can see every single night monday to friday.

i wish this were true.

i am am very non-union stance, but even i see their importance and reason for our high wages and benefits. trust me i am very far from a union advocate, but you do not want yrc to go out. maybe lose some market share to us, but not to go out. besides our wages and bennies being instantly at risk because we have no high standard to follow anymore. think about it, there will also be thousands of class a drivers with hazmat and doubles endorsements like you looking for jobs, think supply and demand. If the supply of qualified truck drivers goes up but the demand stays the same, it's a shift; the ratio has changed and just like in the real world, the price will go down, the price in this case will be our value, which could be anything from our wages to our quality of work/life.

what we want is for the economy to pick up so we can be on the interstate and see nothing but yellow/fedex/roadway/saia/estes/con-way sets for as far as the eye can see every single night monday to friday.

But Conway cares about our welfare!

That John L sure does seem like a nice guy.

i wish this were true.

VERY WELL SAID!!!!:guiness:

i wish this were true.

I am always a bit amazed by this thought process...If YRC were to go out, and I don't believe it is going to be them that goes, it will be somebody else, you all act like they are going to take the union with them...they don't even make up a viable % of the teamster's union anymore...It might be less than 10%, But I am not sure...Anyway, you think your company is going to spank your wages and benefits if YRC goes under..?? What would that be inviting..?? Think about it....A bunch of pissed off employees x a union desperate to increase membership = ????

BINGO..!!!

That thought process is in place to scare you, and to make them feel good about their union, that's it...use common sense..

I am always a bit amazed by this thought process...If YRC were to go out, and I don't believe it is going to be them that goes, it will be somebody else, you all act like they are going to take the union with them...they don't even make up a viable % of the teamster's union anymore...It might be less than 10%, But I am not sure...Anyway, you think your company is going to spank your wages and benefits if YRC goes under..?? What would that be inviting..?? Think about it....A bunch of pissed off employees x a union desperate to increase membership = ????

BINGO..!!!

That thought process is in place to scare you, and to make them feel good about their union, that's it...use common sense..
Common sense?? You are throwing out numbers and have nothing to back them up and you even admit it! The union doesn’t scare me and its not propaganda by them!! When a company starts treating their employees bad and a union starts snooping around what happens?? The same people who were treating the employees like dirt are now your best friends!! Shaking hands slapping you on the back and asking about the family!! If YRC were to go under it would be major leverage for trucking companies to scare employees!! Take some of your own advice and “use common sense”:loser:

If YRC cannot stay financailly sound and file for bankruptcy those 50,000 with not instantly disappear. Just because a bankrupcty has bee filled doesn't neccessarily mean the immediately ceases operations.

A lot depends on their available cash reserves and non-cash assets. They may not have enough cash to meet their loan obligations in the near future which seems to be what is the current problem. They have sold off assets and then leased them back. They are continuing to sell assets and adding dollars to the cash coffers. YRC and the IBT agreed to a wage concession. There have been wage cuts amongst the non-union employees as well (IIRC). They are now in the midst of a Change of Operations (COO) initiative by finally combinig the Yellow and Roadway companies. This move is costing hundreds of jobs and is upending the lives of many families. YRC people are now faced with life changing decisions...what to do next? If you want to know just how bad it is for some them just go their forum and do some reading.

The CEO and corporate leaders of YRC are trying everything imaginable to keep the company afloat. And while may be too late (we will have to wait and see) I doubt very seriously they will just and cease operations. You must also keep in mind if this were probable they would be hauling no freight at all. Shippers are not about to risk their freight being halted mid stream setting on trailers or docks somewhere and no obvious hope of having it delivered.

The leaders of YRC have been forced to make some hard decisons (where have we heard that before!!!) struggling to stay afloat. While some of their maladies can be blamed on poor management other reasons are obvious...economy, etc.

If YRC does file for bankruptcy (and this is the key word here) protection they won't simply vanish overnight.

What will happen is the courts will take over their fiancial operation. It is common in these scenarios for the courts to halt any in process changes the company is currently doing. The bankruptcy judge will appoint a person or group of people to oversee the operation of the company. It is entirely possible (and happens frequently) for the court to break up a large company and sell off it assets. Thus making it more attractive for a potential buyer to purchase a smaller and perhaps potentially more profitable portion of the bankrupt company rather than buying the entire entity.

These things all take time. YRC isn't simply going to vanish. They haul too large a percentage of this country's freight for that to happen. All the remaining LTL carriers combined would not be able to handle the influx of volume if YRC simply ceased operations. Companies would be forced to be selective in what freight they agreed to haul. Some may simply say no to most of the shippers caught with freight and no way to move it. It is a no-brainer that some of the freight would be absorbed but there simply isn't the LTL infrastructure to handle such a flood of volume in such a short period of time. This would further deteriorate the economy...freight rates would go up...goods not moving reduces availability and drives up prices...

This begs the question...does YRC haul that much freight to affect the economy too such a large degree? If you believe the numbers...absolutely! The volumes would eventually be absorbed and things would once again be "normal". But that would take a while.

For all you who want something rant about...and I can see the wheels turning as we speak...

Yes...you will be working every available hour you have. Your weekends will be gone as you have known them. You may as well set up a camper outside the fence at your Con-Way barn as there is probably no time to go home. If think this won't happen just look back at the Teamsters strike (the year escapes me) and remember what you were required to do. But even at that, we would hit critical mass very quickly and trying to absorb such volumes would be impossible (not that we are not asked to this everyday anyway).

Service levels would go to helll...damage claims would skyrocket...and do to fatigue, accidents (and LOIs) would be much more a thing we would hear of on a daily basis.

It is entirely possible to destroy a company by trying to absorb every COSO out there if YRC were to immediately cease operations.

YRC isn't going anywhere for awhile...and you better hope they don't!

Rat :loser:

Common sense?? You are throwing out numbers and have nothing to back them up and you even admit it! The union doesn’t scare me and its not propaganda by them!! When a company starts treating their employees bad and a union starts snooping around what happens?? The same people who were treating the employees like dirt are now your best friends!! Shaking hands slapping you on the back and asking about the family!! If YRC were to go under it would be major leverage for trucking companies to scare employees!! Take some of your own advice and “use common sense”:loser:

I believe I said I was unsure, please go over to one of their forums and ask them, I know it is in that neighborhood...That is per them, by the way, not something I am throwing out...
Thank you for reiterating my formula...It is exactly what I said...

maybe we can just be losers together...

Things kinda slow over on the SAIA forum..?? Just like in real life..??
Tense times for all...

BINGO..!!!

I have wondered too!!!

As I said in an earlier post...YRC will probably survive in some form, albiet what form remains to be seen.

Without a doubt there are going to be carriers don't have the cash assets or management skills to weather the storm. There be those that 'belly up' before the economy rebounds.

I will admit I first thought if YRC went down everyone would be wanting wage concessions, especially after ABF jumped on that bandwagon and wanted concessions immediately after YRC did.

After some additional considerations I have changed my view. I doubt CW will dish a wage cut. It simply makes no sense. The operation is based on our wages and benefits as well as other costs. Plus I don't look for a raise this year (hopefully I am wrong!) due to the economy and volume loss.

A wage and benefit cut make us look bad. It would give the appearance we are struggling and although we have slipped from years past we are not struggling to stay afloat.

As far as the p@ssed off drivers thing I think the company knows they already have enough of those (me included in many circumstances).

Remember what happened to Capt. Bligh!!!

midirat...thanks for the assests!!! Box you and myself seem to becoming under attact from other people that like to come visit our forum. Don't care about that, this is only a computer and words don't bother me. But does bother me is that they read (or maybe can't) what they want to. We all say that "I think" or "we heard" on most posts concerning other companies. We do not work for them so it would behoove us us to speculate on the going on's over there. Just wish people would read EVERY word before they start shooting off their fingers!!!

Midirat, do you ever get finger cramps when you write your novels on here????:clap:

midirat...thanks for the assests!!! Box you and myself seem to becoming under attact from other people that like to come visit our forum. Don't care about that, this is only a computer and words don't bother me. But does bother me is that they read (or maybe can't) what they want to. We all say that "I think" or "we heard" on most posts concerning other companies. We do not work for them so it would behoove us us to speculate on the going on's over there. Just wish people would read EVERY word before they start shooting off their fingers!!!

Midirat, do you ever get finger cramps when you write your novels on here????:clap:

Yeah...finger cramps...a real b@tch at times...may have to start using "Naturally Speaking"....

The Nattie Light and Xanax helps tho'

The whole 'novel' thing may just be another phase in my heretofore illustrious career...

Let me see...uummm...Hows this??...

A novel based on a truck driver employed in the LTL industry in an 'in the can' economy working for a company he or she sometimes does not understand and where there are many companies going bankrupt...subsequently finds a trucking forum where there are people working at his or her company and some of them are managers. They all b@tch and complain at times. At other times they support each others as if they were siblings...and yet at other times get on each others nerves...and the hero of our novel gets on the forum and writes novels...

On second thought...forget it..

Things like those never happen!!! What the hell was I thinking??!!...

Oh Well!!!..