FedEx Freight | Questions & Comments for STC newsletter.

One thing that suprises me about auto fuel mileage is the haven't been able to improve on the fuel mileage of the VW diesel rabbit of the early 80's if I remember correctly it got almost 50 mpg on the highway,you can't find a current hybrid that can do that.VW still sells a tubo diesel Its in the Jetta you can recognize it by the initials TDI on the rear it still gets great mileage.More proof that American universities should be limited to 1 law school graduate for every 5 engineering school graduates!!

DayliteDean :clap:

It is a real shame that here in the USA we can't get our hands on the many different diesel models that are available all over the world. The biggest hang up has been trying to meet the EPA and CARB regulations to get these engines legal in California. These manufacturers do not want to have to spend the extra money it costs to have these vehicles certified for 49 states and another separate model for California. Especially when more states in the Northeast want to follow the stricter CARB (California Air Resources Board) standards. I bought a new Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel S in 1983 and held on to it for 15 years. It was a great car and it got around 36 miles per gallon.
Also in 1979 I bought a brand new Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser BJ40 (Canadian Model) and that was a great vehicle also. I even flew to Vancouver, British Columbia to buy one and after failing to be able to get it across the border into the US because it did not have an EPA sticker in the inside hood saying that it met US EPA standards, I had to go back to the dealer and get my money back. Two weeks later I found a guy in Berkeley, CA. that knew a way to import them and get title in CA and ended up buying from him.

:shift:

Companies' Risk of Bankruptcy - Audit Integrity

This just came out today and will be published in STC Monday evening.

Companies' Risk of Bankruptcy - Audit Integrity
On the heels of Moody’s publishing a list of “bottom rung” companies most likely to default, Audit Integrity ups the ante with the preliminary findings of a new quantitative model designed to identify large companies most at risk of bankruptcy.
Companies' Risk of Bankruptcy - Audit Integrity -- Seeking Alpha

ps. you have to click on the list to enlarge.

Special Notice.

The STC letter will be published daily at irregular times till further notice, unless I am away from my computer.....

Hope everything is well for you Riv17 I wondered when I got on to the FedEx forum at 9:01 and didn't see your post,all the best Dean

"Contributor of the month" :clap::clap:I could'nt think of a more deserving member of this award.Congratulations!!!!

Field Reporters and Contributors

Looking for anybody that would like to contribute any articles that I should consider adding to Some Trucking Companies also had a BIG bounce, and that are trucking related, can just post a link to article on this thread. If I find it relevant and interesting I will use on STC, and give you credit.

YRC to Apply for Bailout Funds

This article came out after STC newsletter was published Thursday and will be in Friday letter.

YRC to Apply for Bailout Funds
Amid Pension Pressure, Trucking Company Plans to Request $1 Billion in U.S. Aid
YRC Worldwide Inc., one of the nation's largest trucking companies, will seek $1 billion in federal bailout money to help relieve pension obligations, the chief executive said Thursday.
The move comes as the trucking giant struggles to shore up its finances. The company's ability to weather the recession will have significant implications for the trucking industry and large customers across the country.
YRC to Apply for Bailout Funds - WSJ.com

Troubled trucker YRC to seek $1 billion pension bailout
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Struggling No. 1 U.S. trucking company YRC Worldwide Inc (NasdaqGS:YRCW - News) plans to seek $1 billion in bailout money from the Troubled Asset Relief Program to help it cover pension obligations, a move analysts say is unlikely to succeed as the company has no financial charter.
Troubled trucker YRC to seek $1 billion pension bailout - Yahoo! Finance

More related news tonight on STC newsletter.
http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...rucking-companies-also-had-big-bounce-27.html

YRC's management must be feeling pretty desperate to apply for TARP money,I don't see YRC's competetors letting this happen,I would imagine every CEO in the freight business has contacted his Senators and congressman to make sure this does'nt happen.

It's worked so well for Chrysler and GM, I say let em.

roog
The bailout money for the automakers came directly from the treasury,the TARP program is a different program(still comes from the treasury)meant for banks and other fianancial institutions to guarantee the value of properties and other assets that have outstanding loans,Troubled Asset Recovery Program.

The bailout money for the automakers came directly from the treasury,the TARP program is a different program(still comes from the treasury)meant for banks and other fianancial institutions to guarantee the value of properties and other assets that have outstanding loans,Troubled Asset Recovery Program.

I think what everyone is failing to see is that Obama is helping YRC via the back door. While YRC is asking for 1 billion dollars of TARP money thru the front door to help YRC pay the pension liabilities, Obama "owns" the banks (like JP Morgan Chase) that just yesterday "withdrew" that 45 million profit that YRC had to show this second quarter to stay within their covenants.
In other words Obama has leverage over the banks, (many that were FORCED)
to take TARP money and now they are being TOLD what businesses they are going to call the loans on. So if JP Morgan probably would like to liquidate YRC, they are not allowed to do so.
Just a thought, or a coincidence.

SCDigest Editorial Staff

Logistics News: Race to Bottom, as Huge Drops in Shipper Demand Parallel Equal or Greater Losses in Carrier Capacity
Bank Actions Could Take an Even Greater Slice Out of Carrier Market; Big Problems as Economy Recovers?
It’s an interesting contest – will truckload and LTL carriers be able to shed capacity more rapidly than shipper demand has fallen?
Although there are actually many hopeful signs for the economy starting to emerge, right now these are some of the worse times ever for carriers. A freight recession that really started for the industry in at least 2007 and maybe even a bit earlier, combined with the overall economic downturn to create incredibly tough times for carriers in virtually all modes.
Larkin says that a huge additional swath of capacity could leave the market rapidly – if bankers take a new tack. Many financially troubled carriers for now have not been forced into bankruptcy by their lenders, in part, because of the low current sell-off value of the assets that secured the loans (trucks and terminals).
If the banks take a hard-line approach, however, and force many carriers under, it could accelerate the change in the supply-demand equation that almost everyone predicts.
Logistics News: Race to Bottom, as Huge Drops in Shipper Demand Parallel Equal or Greater Losses in Carrier Capacity

Seeking Alpha

Trucker YRC's Presumptuous TARP Funds Application
For those who don’t know, YRC Worldwide (YRCW) is the former Yellow Roadway. Here is some of what the Wall Street Journal is reporting:
Trucker YRC's Presumptuous TARP Funds Application -- Seeking Alpha

BTW: This story is relevant for the comments left by some of the readers. Very good comments, like this one:
Um, Chad. You should educate yourself a little better on the companies you "cover." To anyone who knows anything about YRC's situation you sound like an idiot. Half of your "article" is based on your misunderstanding of multi-employer pensions, and your big idea here about Zollars being presumptuous is just dumb. Zollars is rolling the dice that a Democrat-controlled White House and Congress will be sympathetic to a company that employs 50,000 union members. Is that presumptuous? Does Democrats protecting the unions seem "odd" to you? And are you really saying that one billion to a trucking company makes TARP "out of control?" As of February, over 300 firms had received 200-billion dollars in TARP money, but you'd have us believe that this billion is one toke over the line. Thanks for the input, Chad.

Transport Stocks

Asset Managers Still Aggressively Chasing Risk
The charts below (click to enlarge) demonstrate unmistakably just how phenomenally bipolar the market has become, and just how aggressively asset managers are chasing after risky assets in order to make up for 2008 losses. Alas, nobody has learned any lessons from the credit bubble where fast, slow, dumb and smart money was all chasing the riskiest assets, all of which ended in tears for far too many people. The result so far for 2009: exactly the same pattern is repeating itself.
For all the others - we recommend you keep your eyes on trucking company YRC Worldwide (YRCW), which has thrown a wildly errant Hail Mary pass, and hopes to become eligible for TARP. Good luck to them, and good luck to all the other over-levered, CRE exposed, cash flow declining (and negative), undermanaged, overstaffed businesses caught in an economy which keeps on losing around 600k jobs every single month.
Asset Managers Still Aggressively Chasing Risk -- Seeking Alpha

BTW: once again great comments following this article.
CRE= Commercial Real Estate.

This first quarter should be the bottom, and we should start slowly
seeing improvement in the economy.
Unless Washington DC manages to shoot themselves on the foot some more.

I'm not sure what this means, whether a false hope or not, but between the end of the 1st quarter and last Friday, my 401 went up 13%.