FedEx Freight | Questions & Comments for STC newsletter.

'Ice Road' trucker at Vegas show

'Ice Road' trucker at Vegas show
Ice Road Trucker Alex Debogorski joked that being in Las Vegas for the Great West Truck Show this week was an interesting experience as opposed to being in Ice Road Trucker territory “because it’s a lot cooler here in Las Vegas, for one thing. It’s a big change coming to 100 above from 40 below.”
'Ice Road' trucker at Vegas show - eTrucker

[YT]6jvPm_YucYw[/YT]

:shift:

Thats a good read on the road fatalities at a 47 year low ...I don't think we will be going back to the old way of logging ..this right here is the reason ...

Gasoline Demand Is At An 18 Month High

Maybe all the talk about peak gasoline is bunk. With the price of gas low, and peak driving season upon us, Mastercard reports that U.S. gasoline consumption was the highest it's been in a year and a half:
“The runup in gasoline prices and the drawdown in supply implies that the EIA has probably been underreporting demand into June,” said Phil Flynn, vice president of research at PFGBest, a Chicago-based brokerage. “We saw improved consumer confidence in May, people were feeling better that the economy was improving a little bit.”

A little older story--Jun. 17, 2009, 7:57 AM

No Green Shoots From FedEx (FDX)
No green shoots for FedEx (FDX), the shipping and logistics company that has a better read on the economy than perhaps any other company. While earnings per share beat solidly, revenue of $7.8 billion came in light, and the company sees no signs of a turnaround.
"The operating environment for our first two quarters in fiscal 2010 is expected to be extremely difficult,” said Alan B. Graf, Jr., FedEx Corp. executive vice president and chief financial officer.
Also, the recent run-up in fuel prices will have a significant negative impact on our first quarter’s results. At this time we do not have enough visibility into the economic recovery and jet fuel prices to provide a meaningful annual earnings forecast.
Bad News From FedEx Socks Market

This article did not make the STC Newsletter

ANALYSIS-If YRC fails, what happens to US truck sector?
* YRC seen in race against time as recession drags

* If YRC fails, rivals seen able to handle its business

* But prices would rise for first time since late 2006

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The fortunes of a particular corner of the U.S. trucking industry in the next year are as tied to whether one company, YRC Worldwide Inc, survives as they are to a recovery in the recession-bound U.S. economy.
If YRC fails it could provide competitors with just the reduction in industry capacity they need to jack up pricing for the first time since late 2006.
"One of two things has to happen: either we have to lose capacity or demand has to come back," said Morgan Keegan analyst Art Hatfield. "The rate at which YRC's business is deteriorating makes it more likely that it will be them to go out of business rather than someone else."
ANALYSIS-If YRC fails, what happens to US truck sector?

I have seen more yellow/roadway trucks and trailers on the road around here the last 2 weeks than I have seen in previous two months all together.... seems from the pulling power on the hills they are running empty ...anybody else seeing this ... whats up ...

Did not make the STC newsletter cutoff.

The Teamsters Are Not to Blame for YRC Wordwide's Current Desperation
Analyses are solely the work of the authors and have not been edited or endorsed by GLG.

Implications

YRC Worldwide has too much debt, has lost nearly $2 billion in the last nine quarters, is downsizing its network and has outdated work rules. Of all those shortcomings, probably only the latter can be blamed exclusively on the Teamsters' union. Yet an article in Today'sFinancialNews.com tries to blame all of YRC's shortcomings on its union, and very little to management's buying binge earlier in this decade that saddled the company with an unrealistic debt load.

Analysis

YRC Worldwide, the nation's largest trucking company by revenue, is facing a financial showdown with its consortium of bank lenders. It has a liquidity crisis that may cause it to file for bankruptcy or liquidation.................

The Teamsters Are Not to Blame for YRC Wordwide's Current Desperatio - GLG News

Remember, this article is only here for those that may not have seen it elsewhere. It is here only for reading and not to debate.
If you feel the need to debate please go here........

TEAMSTERS / NON-UNION DEBATE FORUM - Truckingboards Truck Drivers Forum

United Breaks Guitars

Most folks that work nights and sleep during the day, miss some pretty good stuff sometimes.
This was covered on the 3rd hour of the Tom Sullivan Radio Show on Fox News Radio XM 168.

United Breaks Guitars

In the spring of 2008, Sons of Maxwell were traveling to Nebraska for a one-week tour and my Taylor guitar was witnessed being thrown by United Airlines baggage handlers in Chicago. I discovered later that the $3500 guitar was severely damaged. They didn’t deny the experience occurred but for nine months the various people I communicated with put the responsibility for dealing with the damage on everyone other than themselves and finally said they would do nothing to compensate me for my loss. So I promised the last person to finally say “no” to compensation (Ms. Irlweg) that I would write and produce three songs about my experience with United Airlines and make videos for each to be viewed online by anyone in the world. United: Song 1 is the first of those songs. United: Song 2 has been written and video production is underway. United: Song 3 is coming. I promise.
United Breaks Guitars | Dave Carroll Music.com

[YT]5YGc4zOqozo[/YT]

Taylor Service, Air Travel Tips, and a Message from Bob Taylor

There’s been a lot of attention in recent days on the perils of flying with a guitar, courtesy of the media sensation created by Taylor artist Dave Carroll’s clever YouTube video. Since many folks may be thinking of flying with their Taylors, we thought we’d share some helpful information, including airline tips, a personal message from Bob Taylor, and the latest news on our new Factory Service Center. We’ve even put together a special discounted “Travel Relief” Service Package to help your Taylor recover from its journey, wherever it may be headed.
Based on Dave’s experience and those of many other Taylor customers over the years, Bob Taylor put together a personal message on Taylor’s service commitment to our customers. We also thought we’d revisit some helpful tips on flying with your guitar, courtesy of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the American federation of Musicians (AFM).
Taylor Guitars -- News

[YT]n12WFZq2__0[/YT]

YouTube - Taylor Guitars Responds to "United Breaks Guitars"

The Fed’s Exit Strategy

suzix1.jpg

The Fed’s Exit Strategy
By BEN BERNANKE

The depth and breadth of the global recession has required a highly accommodative monetary policy. Since the onset of the financial crisis nearly two years ago, the Federal Reserve has reduced the interest-rate target for overnight lending between banks (the federal-funds rate) nearly to zero. We have also greatly expanded the size of the Fed’s balance sheet through purchases of longer-term securities and through targeted lending programs aimed at restarting the flow of credit.
Overall, the Federal Reserve has many effective tools to tighten monetary policy when the economic outlook requires us to do so. As my colleagues and I have stated, however, economic conditions are not likely to warrant tighter monetary policy for an extended period. We will calibrate the timing and pace of any future tightening, together with the mix of tools to best foster our dual objectives of maximum employment and price stability.
The Federal Reserve’s Plan to Avoid Inflation - WSJ.com

2j29lig.jpg

How to Make Health-Care Reform Bipartisan

How to Make Health-Care Reform Bipartisan
By BOBBY JINDAL

In Washington, it seems history always repeats itself. That’s what’s happening now with health-care reform. This is an unfortunate turn of events for Americans who are legitimately concerned about the skyrocketing cost of a basic human need.
In 1993 and 1994, Hillary Clinton’s health-care reform proposal failed because it was concocted in secret without the guiding hand of public consensus-building, and because it was a philosophical over-reach. Today President Barack Obama is repeating these mistakes.
The reason is plain: The left in Washington has concluded that honesty will not yield its desired policy result. So it resorts to a fundamentally dishonest approach to reform. I say this because the marketing of the Democrats’ plans as presented in the House of Representatives and endorsed heartily by President Obama rests on three falsehoods.

Bobby Jindal’s Bipartisan Health-Care Reform - WSJ.com

34q5o2w.jpg

Are Transportation ETFs Confirming a Bull Market?

Are Transportation ETFs Confirming a Bull Market?

I am not a proponent of "Dow Theory." For me, deciphering future trends by evaluating the price movement of the Dow Industrials, the Dow Transports and the Dow Utilities is... well... an exercise for the mind.
Okay... so the economy gets better when more "stuff" is being moved. Transporters tell us when that is happening. And the iShares DJ Transports (IYT) has indeed hit new 10-month highs... climbing at a more rapid rate than the Dow Jones Industrials Trust (DIA).
Are Transportation ETFs Confirming a Bull Market? -- Seeking Alpha

Two-Year Lead Time for New Brake Standard

2hi9r83.jpg

Two-Year Lead Time for New Brake Standard

Truck manufacturers have two years to prepare for tough new braking standards on air-braked heavy-duty tractors.
Starting in August 2011, a typical fully loaded tractor-trailer at 60 miles per hour must be able to stop in 250 feet, 30 percent less than the current standard of 355 feet.
This will require either beefier drum brakes or disc brakes, or a mix of the two, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which wrote the rule.
The agency estimates that it will cost $211 per three-axle tractor to heavy-up the standard S-cam drum brake so it can meet the requirement. Disc brakes would be considerably more expensive: $1,475 per tractor.
Severe-service tractors and two-axle tractors will get more time, though. The agency said it will give these configurations four years to comply because it believes manufacturers need to do more testing.
Severe-service and two-axle tractors are likely to need disc brakes at all wheels, the agency said.

TruckingInfo.com : We've got trucking covered. Your Source for Trucking News and Information

Cash From Clunkers

Cash From Clunkers

Let’s have a $4,500 subsidy for everything.
Americans are streaming back into auto showrooms, and one reason is the “cash for clunkers” subsidy. Democrats are naturally claiming this is a great success, while Republicans are claiming that because the program has run out of clunker cash so quickly, this proves government can’t run the health-care system. How do we elect these people? What the clunker policy really proves is that Americans aren’t stupid and will let some other taxpayer buy them a free lunch if given the chance.
The buying spree is good for the car companies, if only for the short term and for certain car models. It’s good, too, for folks who’ve been sitting on an older car or truck but weren’t sure they had the cash to trade it in for something new. Now they get a taxpayer subsidy of up to $4,500, which on some models can be 25% of the purchase price. It’s hardly surprising that Peter is willing to use a donation from his neighbor Paul, midwifed by Uncle Sugar, to class up his driveway.
Cash For Clunker Policy Is Crackpot Economics - WSJ.com