ODFL | Questions on Linehaul

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too. Not meaning to panic here, but I have a little experience in the trucking industry, and I know what this may mean. If I haven't heard from them by the end of the month, I'll start following through with plans B and C.

try calling them some time it takes a will for your info to come back from highpoint if they have done alot of hiring mine took three weeks

How much fuel do the OD road trucks carry? What kind of mpg do you get? i.e. Range on full tanks?

about 200 gallons of fuel shop always told me the milage was between 4 and 5.5 miles per gallon depending on weight and runnig area i would usually average about 5mpg in a daycab

Well OD finally called back. I officially start with a trainer on Tuesday 4/Sep. I'm ready to get this show on the road too! The TM started sounding suspiciously like a politician when I started talking about how many miles I'd like to get. It's clear that I'm going to be a wild driver, but I just hope the miles are there. I don't mind if I have to stay out a few days at a time. He was talking about Dallas and back, which is less than 400 miles per day. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I should probably be grateful if I get it. I've been reading on here how slow it is in some places. I'm in no position to turn down work either!

There can be different reasons for what situation you may get. The TM has to talk like a politician a promise could backfire on him. It could involve situations beyond his control, Tractor pools, Corporate/central disp. Where you are in the country. If you have the ability there may be ways to pickup a few extra miles or hours a day. Many drivers work a sixth day if they can. Almost everybody earned there way up one way or the other. Good luck.

If it's slow Pro, seems like every terminal always needs a good P/D driver. Nothing wrong with putting bread on the table that way either.

That's true.The more jobs you can do ,the more money you can make.There are several young guys at GBO that can do everything that pays by the hour or by the cpm and they make money.

Yeah what he said:butt kiss:

Sometimes there is a thin line between kissing azz or looking like you're kissing azz but the main priority is feeding the family and paying the bills until the family can feed itself and the bills are paid at which time work can kiss my azz or look like they're kissing it. :biglaugh:

Well it's been two weeks now, and I'd have to say so far so good. In those two weeks, I've already been told to stay home 3 times, so that part isn't good, but I've still been getting my miles. I caught on fast enough that my second week I asked to stay out and take a bag run, which was good. I got a bunch of short hauls, but they all added up. Staying in a room and showering every night was nice. I came out of it feeling not as "ran-down" as I usually do when coming off the road. I do wish my terminal had more tractors. I can see where that is going to be a problem since so many guys have been hired, and we're probably all needing to bag it.

I still don't know exactly HOW they paid me for training, but I made decent money during training so I'm not complaining. The check stub I got didn't exactly have a settlement sheet attached to it. I don't know if they paid me mileage, or at what rate, or if they paid me hourly, or what rate that might have been. For the record, I was trained on a bid run, but that isn't a problem for me particularly, because I have a little driving experience under my belt already. I guess I don't have that much experience though, I didn't realize the word "turnpike" included in my directions meant I'd have to pay a toll. Now I'll have to send a check to the state of Oklahoma for 5.50. Oh well, another day, another story.

Prodriver, keep the reciept or make a copy of it, turn it into your Terminal Manager, OD will reimburse you the toll. If you have any expenses related to company business, OD will reimburse, like if the road is closed and you get a hotel that you have to pay for yourself, get a PO# from Central Dispatch, turn the reciept in for reimbursement.

Well it's been two weeks now, and I'd have to say so far so good. In those two weeks, I've already been told to stay home 3 times, so that part isn't good, but I've still been getting my miles. I caught on fast enough that my second week I asked to stay out and take a bag run, which was good. I got a bunch of short hauls, but they all added up. Staying in a room and showering every night was nice. I came out of it feeling not as "ran-down" as I usually do when coming off the road. I do wish my terminal had more tractors. I can see where that is going to be a problem since so many guys have been hired, and we're probably all needing to bag it.

I still don't know exactly HOW they paid me for training, but I made decent money during training so I'm not complaining. The check stub I got didn't exactly have a settlement sheet attached to it. I don't know if they paid me mileage, or at what rate, or if they paid me hourly, or what rate that might have been. For the record, I was trained on a bid run, but that isn't a problem for me particularly, because I have a little driving experience under my belt already. I guess I don't have that much experience though, I didn't realize the word "turnpike" included in my directions meant I'd have to pay a toll. Now I'll have to send a check to the state of Oklahoma for 5.50. Oh well, another day, another story.
how many miles a week are you getting

I got 1800 miles the first week on my own, and 2200 the second. Not the best, but my bottom line is that I need to average about 2000 miles just to pay the bills.

I got 1800 miles the first week on my own, and 2200 the second. Not the best, but my bottom line is that I need to average about 2000 miles just to pay the bills.

HOW MANY DAYS DID IT TAKE TO GET 1800 MILES DUDE I THINK THERE ARE OTHER LTL COMPANIES WHERE YOU CAN GET BETTER MILES!:smilie_132: