R&L | Raise

I am not sure how hard they work the guys at these other terminals but I know here in Dallas they work the crap out of guys. Even at 23.42 per hour we earn every penny and then some. Which apparantly is alot less than other terminals that don't handle half the freight Dallas does. It's a decent job but I don't blame guys for jumping to Saia or Southeastern where they are at 22 plus an hour in less than 2 years. Look at Old Dominion....they start drivers at 22 here in Dallas/Fort Worth.
Yeah , but how much do you really keep when you factor in the cost of your benefits insurance ,pension plans etc plus lack of not being paid o/t ? If ya got o/t then you would be getting 35.13 an hour after 8 or after 40 . not the straight time pay of 23.43 .That goes for the guys in CT. that say they are earning 25.80. They would get 38.70 an hour on o/t. Ok the money sounds good until all this comes out then ya see how fast it starts to dwindle down .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah , but how much do you really keep when you factor in the cost of your benefits insurance ,pension plans etc plus lack of not being paid o/t ? If ya got o/t then you would be getting 35.13 an hour after 8 or after 40 . not the straight time pay of 23.43 .That goes for the guys in CT. that say they are earning 25.80. They would get 38.70 an hour on o/t. Ok the money sounds good until all this comes out then ya see how fast it starts to dwindle down .

Who has a pension plan? We don't unless your referring to 401k? I don't work more than 44 to 46 hrs a week anyway so OT while it would be nice is not a real concern to me. That said, when I worked for FedEx they constantly did all they could to cut our OT so it didn't really matter that we got time and a half.

We are now at $24.28 in Salt Lake city, and 60.45 cents per mile for doubles, and I believe a penny or so more for triples at our other terminal in North Salt lake running Line-Haul. I personally think we should all be a little closer to what a line driver makes (which is $34-36hr) in good weather of course. City drivers work way to harder, and have a much greater risk of getting into a accident. I know, I've done both. I guess they have to pay them more because it ruins many marriages, you have to stay awake because of the boredom, and the fact to gaining a lot of weight, which causes many health problems.

Well, if you take your run pay, divide mileage, I get nowhere near .60... I get .46 which is a few less and a few more then others in my area.

Who has a pension plan? We don't unless your referring to 401k? I don't work more than 44 to 46 hrs a week anyway so OT while it would be nice is not a real concern to me. That said, when I worked for FedEx they constantly did all they could to cut our OT so it didn't really matter that we got time and a half.
I am retired now and have been for going on 5 years but when I talked to the R&L guys then and they were paying $125 per week for the family plan in the Chicago market . That's got be a big bite when your only getting 46 hrs for the week and no o/t . We were paying $ 60. a month back then and that paid for our medical insurance no matter how big the family was and it also paid for our pensions . Heck that's $500. sometimes $625 a month verses $60. Just say'en .

I am retired now and have been for going on 5 years but when I talked to the R&L guys then and they were paying $125 per week for the family plan in the Chicago market . That's got be a big bite when your only getting 46 hrs for the week and no o/t . We were paying $ 60. a month back then and that paid for our medical insurance no matter how big the family was and it also paid for our pensions . Heck that's $500. sometimes $625 a month verses $60. Just say'en .

Well, its only my wife and I so I don't know how much a family in Chitcago pays but I pay $53. a week for the two of us. Its kind of crappy insurance anyway.

Well, its only my wife and I so I don't know how much a family in Chitcago pays but I pay $53. a week for the two of us. Its kind of crappy insurance anyway.

I don't know what insurance you have, but relatively speaking ours is pretty good. We have really used this insurance and have had not very many complaints.

We are now at $24.28 in Salt Lake city, and 60.45 cents per mile for doubles, and I believe a penny or so more for triples at our other terminal in North Salt lake running Line-Haul. I personally think we should all be a little closer to what a line driver makes (which is $34-36hr) in good weather of course. City drivers work way to harder, and have a much greater risk of getting into a accident. I know, I've done both. I guess they have to pay them more because it ruins many marriages, you have to stay awake because of the boredom, and the fact to gaining a lot of weight, which causes many health problems.

When did you get 2 terminals in SLC? That's news to me, and 60 cents a mile? I know most of your Utah runs, which one pays that much? Because I would like to transfer since I know you are short drivers for that 60 cents a mile.

Well, its only my wife and I so I don't know how much a family in Chicago pays but I pay $53. a week for the two of us. Its kind of crappy insurance anyway.
Well in your case you are paying between $ 212 and $ 265. per month versus our $60.per month for what we got was a Cadillac insurance plan plus .

Well in your case you are paying between $ 212 and $ 265. per month versus our $60.per month for what we got was a Cadillac insurance plan plus .

What is your co pay, annual max out of pocket and deductible? If you want to compare lets compare, I know a lot about insurance, so lets see how yours is better. Please tell me ALL about it.

What do you want me to say? You had a better job and benefits than us. Congrats?

I sure wish he would answer my questions, I have a friend that works for a union outfit and they pay 100% of their insurance. But their copays and deductibles are way CRAZY. To the point to where you do not want to go to the doctor. Just because you pay 60 bucks a month does not mean you pay less than we do. And I am still waiting for his response because I would love to have this debate. They may end up paying less but they may not as well, there is a lot more to it than just how much you pay a month.

Well 5 years & 7 days don't get the raise ??????????

If you were over 5 yrs before the raise went into effect then you should have but even if you were about to hit 5 years, you still got the raise when you got to top rate.

I am still waiting to compare the insurance with you...........

I do not know how to delete the previous post.

Still waiting for your reply to my questions about SLC. Which I know for a fact that your comments are false.

I am still waiting to compare the insurance with you...........

I do not know how to delete the previous post.
I just did read your comments, sorry about that am not avoiding you . When I was still working we at one time had our own state of the art clinic our own pharmacy and if we had to go the hospital we went to St. Joseph's that too was of no charge . The only thing I had to go into my pocket for was to get my car keys . I don't know whats up with the new drivers of today I think they are probably not as fortunate as the generation before them but still think they have a pretty good deal going .

Last edited by a moderator: