TForce | Road Drivers......

Welcome to the boards Shadowguy! HBF and Rev gave you some good advice. So I'll touch a different matter with doubles. When hooking up always,always double or triple check your couplings. There's more connections with pups which can be more mistakes. Take your time dropping & hooking. Don't rush and if you got a question always ask. Best of luck.

Also , do not forget your weight factor, heavier PUP on the drive axle or Lead.,Lighter PUP on the bogie, (Dolly, congear,etc.etc.) Kite..... Everything these guy's have mentioned is 100% correct.

And never go down an unfamiliar road that turns out to be a dead end in a ghetto, ( what a nightmare).:hide:

Thanx Woody but I want to know alittle more in detail about how they handle in bad weather, braking etc...

In bad weather go slow and stay away from all other traffic as much as possable. Try not to use your brakes. Hard or sudden braking on wet or snow coverd roads means big trouble. Light braking is best. Keeping away from traffic means less braking. If traffic is coming up on you, back out of it and let them go. All it takes is for one vehicle to spin out on the side or in front of you and your reaction will be to hit the brakes hard and then you will be involved. Stay away from traffic!!!:1036316054:

One more thing. If its going to be really bad weather, Its best to stay home. If your running the North East, In the snow with doubles its very hard to make it over the hills. The rear trailer only drags you back. Expect to see doubles sitting in the middle of the highway on the hills.

Ah come on guys you all know we just hammer down and don't look back....You look back and it just scares ya!!!!!! And going down the wrong road is a problem....Makes you look like a pro though....

Ah come on guys you all know we just hammer down and don't look back....You look back and it just scares ya!!!!!! And going down the wrong road is a problem....Makes you look like a pro though....

I will tell you this, I made the tightest turn I have ever made with a set that nite, and I had to whipe my brow when it was all over.

And I made it out alive and unscathed.
totally incredible, I do not think I will ever do that again.

First day.........

Went in for my first day of training, today; I have a REALLY good feeling about coming on at UPSF. The line-haul supvervisor said that there is plenty of work to be had since most of his drivers want to be home every night and do not want or need any extra work(which should help me to bridge the gap during the first year of the wage progression).

I am estimating that; if UPSF grows to equal the size of the competition withing the area, at the very least, I will have at least 20 to 30drivers beneath me in line-haul alone within five years time(I wouldn't come even close to that with the employer that I am leaving).

Besides, the real kicker for me was that I will immediately have scheduled days off!!!!! I know that this may sound weird, but this is something that I didn't have a my old job since my start time and day(s) off would change on a daily basis(essentially I wouldn't know what I was doing the next day until 12:00p.m. on the day before a run). And, I don't think I'll miss the 16 to 18 hour days either(driving to my last stop only to have one-and-a-half to two of trailers left to unload before sleeping in the tractor in the middle of nowhere without a shower and only a packed lunch for dinner).

Sorry to ramble, but just remember, even one your worst day, that there is someone out there that is being subjected to a whole lot worse than you may be..........which almost makes me feel a tad bit guilty for taking this job.

Went in for my first day of training, today; I have a REALLY good feeling about coming on at UPSF. The line-haul supvervisor said that there is plenty of work to be had since most of his drivers want to be home every night and do not want or need any extra work(which should help me to bridge the gap during the first year of the wage progression).

I am estimating that; if UPSF grows to equal the size of the competition withing the area, at the very least, I will have at least 20 to 30drivers beneath me in line-haul alone within five years time(I wouldn't come even close to that with the employer that I am leaving).

Besides, the real kicker for me was that I will immediately have scheduled days off!!!!! I know that this may sound weird, but this is something that I didn't have a my old job since my start time and day(s) off would change on a daily basis(essentially I wouldn't know what I was doing the next day until 12:00p.m. on the day before a run). And, I don't think I'll miss the 16 to 18 hour days either(driving to my last stop only to have one-and-a-half to two of trailers left to unload before sleeping in the tractor in the middle of nowhere without a shower and only a packed lunch for dinner).

Sorry to ramble, but just remember, even one your worst day, that there is someone out there that is being subjected to a whole lot worse than you may be..........which almost makes me feel a tad bit guilty for taking this job.

I wont argue with that.....:1036316054:

I am currently going through the interview process for a road position at the upsf terminal here in Portland, Or. The TM told me that if I am hired quickly enough I would be given an extra board position(not a fill-in position) an would likely have a bid position by the next bid process. The TM also said that they are forcasting to double their current flow of freight and that within two years time I would most likely be a senior driver due to additional hires.

This really does sound like a great opportunity......but there is a hitch. I made over $65,000 in my first year with the company that I currently drive for, and next year I should make between $70 to $75K(our senior driver makes over $90k a year and he is home every night). Now granted, I don't expect to make a great deal of money in the start, but with my mortage payment at $1650 a month, I really can't afford to make anything less than $60-$65K a year. I'm NOT looking to make $70k plus a year(although that would be nice) I just need to be able to afford to leave the company that I am currently employed with.

So, I guess what I am getting at is what would I be able to expect as a first year road driver? Is there a payscale progression? I am not particular about shifts/hours/being out of town, I'll do it all. But what else could I expect?? I figure its best to ask all of you since you can explain it all much better than the TM.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated......

thanks in advance.....
Well first of all. I would ask myself,,well I be bettering my self by going to UPSF<<thats what u should ask your self first of all..:1036316054: