TForce | Road Drivers......

Ollie- A couple of years ago, the average pay at overnite(usp freight) was 65,000 I am sure that has gone up. I have a co driver that transferred from portland he told me that they don't have a problem with someone getting extra work if they want it

It's official........

Got a phone call from the operations manager today, everything cleared with the home office and I am going in this Friday to start my orientation/training!!!:1036316054:

Well, at the company that I am with right now, it is not uncommon to have three to six deliveries with a set of triples. For example, a common run is Salem penitentiary, United Grocers Salem, Roseburg bin, Grants pass bin, and Medford. All of these deliveries are made on the first day with a manual unload- handstack or handtruck/rampboard, with 3000to 3500 cases. The layover run that I just got back from today was Bend bin, Klamath County Tobacco, Klamath Falls United Grocers and Klamath Falls bin. Day one on this layover was 18hrs(I made it to my last stop with 3 minutes to spare on my 14, finished my unload and slept in the truck).

I don't mind pulling triples, but when you work for a company that figures its normal to pull a set through downtown areas and to have multiple stops, it gets to be a headache(not to mention the potential for error). It would be nice to be able to pull triples for a company that uses them in a way that they are inteded for.

Welcome, I'm out of California and run up to Eugene, Or. I think you will like the TM in Portland. He seems to be a straight shooter.
Maybe I'll run into you along the way and buy you a cup.

Congrads ,Stay with it .
By all means PM anyone if you have a question you feel wierd about .
Stay with it .It sounds like you have experience .UPS Freight has the freight ..

Training you've got that right.
Videos,written,on hands,and safety training.
All to yours,and the companys benefite.
To become one of the nations elite workers working for UPS.

The only way to retain all of this new knowledge your going to be taught is to put it into practise.
Develope a routine,which inturn will work into a habit after you do it enough.
In a very short time you will be one of UPS's finest.

Thank you all for your feedback, input and responses. I am looking forward to starting at UPSF and for the first time in my 9+ years of driving, I actually have a very good feeling about the employer that I am going to work for. I believe that within five years time I will look back at this decision and fully appreciate the move that I have made.

Hey guys I have a question about running doubles are they easier or harder to drive than a van. I just wanted to know because I am being offered a job at UPSF and all of my experience is with driving vans.

shadowguy first welcome to truckingboards. It's good to have you along for the ride.
Like woodnnn said when you first start it's very important that you have a lot of respect for them. You must learn not to make sudden moves left or right because you will get a wip effect with your back pup and that can cause lose of control and/or a flipping of the back pup. As for bad weather they are ok up to a point and then it's just best to find a place and wait until the roads can be worked over.
Braking is no different than anything else just a little more to stop so you need to allow a little more stopping space.
I'm sure others will have more advice and well intended advice. Just be careful and take the time you need to learn the feel of them and I'm sure you will be fine.

If you have the chance to get in go for it. When you have weight they are similar in snow to what you're used to. The nature of the business has you pulling empties more than OTR. Watch your braking with a light back trailer. It can lock up and slide out and you wont even feel it. Single axle drives with light trailers slip out from under you lightning fast. Like someone else said they're easier on dry roads but need more respect, especially on bad roads.

Welcome to the boards Shadowguy! HBF and Rev gave you some good advice. So I'll touch a different matter with doubles. When hooking up always,always double or triple check your couplings. There's more connections with pups which can be more mistakes. Take your time dropping & hooking. Don't rush and if you got a question always ask. Best of luck.