TForce | Road Drivers......

ollie78

TB Lurker
Credits
I am currently going through the interview process for a road position at the upsf terminal here in Portland, Or. The TM told me that if I am hired quickly enough I would be given an extra board position(not a fill-in position) an would likely have a bid position by the next bid process. The TM also said that they are forcasting to double their current flow of freight and that within two years time I would most likely be a senior driver due to additional hires.

This really does sound like a great opportunity......but there is a hitch. I made over $65,000 in my first year with the company that I currently drive for, and next year I should make between $70 to $75K(our senior driver makes over $90k a year and he is home every night). Now granted, I don't expect to make a great deal of money in the start, but with my mortage payment at $1650 a month, I really can't afford to make anything less than $60-$65K a year. I'm NOT looking to make $70k plus a year(although that would be nice) I just need to be able to afford to leave the company that I am currently employed with.

So, I guess what I am getting at is what would I be able to expect as a first year road driver? Is there a payscale progression? I am not particular about shifts/hours/being out of town, I'll do it all. But what else could I expect?? I figure its best to ask all of you since you can explain it all much better than the TM.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated......

thanks in advance.....

Maybe the money isn't here to start up.
But were can you go anymore to start off with the best pay?

The one thing you will have here working for a UPS company is job security.
If you do everything their way,and be safe doing it.
UPS is a global company this means if there ever was any secure companies anymore UPS is one of them.

Your desision has to weigh the good with the bad,than take it from there.

Agreed(especially with regards to the job security). That is why I am considering leaving the job that I am at now and taking a pay cut to go work elswhere. I just need as much info regarding this type of position so that I can make an informed decision.

I came to Overnite back in the mid 80's during all the union company bankrupcies after deregulation kicked in.
I was really having a hard time getting on with another Teamster LTL.
Finally I gave up,and took a withdrawal.
At that time I was making almost $14.00 per hour working as a casual.
My starting pay at Overnite was $9.22 per hour.
It was a huge drop in pay,but When I was trying to find another union job.
I woke up early ever morning with a phone list of 15 union companies,and started calling each one to get a days work.
Overnite offered me a full time job ,so I grabbed it.
Sure It was a big drop in pay,but over all working steady not having to call in was worth a lot more than the difference in the hourly rate.

Real hard to answer as that varies by terminal and the runs available. If you get out every nite you'll do well. I make 2-300 a nite when I get out. Every once in a while I only get 3 nites but its rare. And I dont volunterr for weekends, I haven't had to, if I needed money I would. I've been here 4 mos start at .46/mi bottom of the board averaging 1000 week gross. I expect it to go higher as we get into summer. Have made as much as 1440 in a week Mon thru Fri.

Thank you for the input RevItUp. You say that you don't usually volunteer for weekends, but if you were to, do you think that getting extra work would be easy at your terminal(I understand every terminal is different)?? I suppose that if the terminal that is here in town had extra work, I would be able to offset the wage loss in the beginning by taking extra work.

I really do wish that this wasn't such a difficult decision to make. But unfortunately a lot of it does come down to dollars and cents(because of my mortage). But as it stands, all of the senior drivers at my company tell us junior drivers to leave and not to look back. And at my age(28yrs old) it would be better to start over again now as opposed to later in life.

Part of me does have a substantial amount of faith that if I were to get into the company now, I would be part of something that will be a HUGE within the next 5yrs......

I apologize for troubling you all, but this has been a completely unerving experience for me this past week(so much so that its causing me to loose sleep).

If you take a pay cut then you are paying them to work for them!! Thouogh, I think upsf is going places..............

Thank you for the input RevItUp. You say that you don't usually volunteer for weekends, but if you were to, do you think that getting extra work would be easy at your terminal(I understand every terminal is different)?? I suppose that if the terminal that is here in town had extra work, I would be able to offset the wage loss in the beginning by taking extra work.

I really do wish that this wasn't such a difficult decision to make. But unfortunately a lot of it does come down to dollars and cents(because of my mortage). But as it stands, all of the senior drivers at my company tell us junior drivers to leave and not to look back. And at my age(28yrs old) it would be better to start over again now as opposed to later in life.

Why are the senior drivers telling you to leave and not look back. Is there no future with your current company? If that is the case, look at it like a raise. Its better than the unemployment line. No matter where you go you will not make as much as you are currently making now untill you get established and have a little time within any company. If you are looking for job security, UPSF is not going away and will only grow. With the company growing at a fast pace you will also gain seniority a bit quicker than the average. Good luck with your decision.

I am currently going through the interview process for a road position at the upsf terminal here in Portland, Or. The TM told me that if I am hired quickly enough I would be given an extra board position(not a fill-in position) an would likely .....

Not sure if its the same thing but at my terminal "fill in" is a bid. As a fill in if a bid driver is off you get his run before anyone else, thats your job. If no one is off you run last on the extra board. Well as the newest hire you will be last anyway. No one wanted this at my barn so it fell to me at the bottom. I've been covering for our #1 driver this week during his vacation, 2780 miles and around 15 hrs of D/H! If your at the bottom anyway...fill in aint bad! Figure 13 road drivers at an average of 2 weeks vacation and 4 personal days. Thats about 36 weeks of guaranteed work for me plus the extra board.:1036316054:

Ollie,

You have to consider the long term as much as the short term. At 28, you could get 30 years here and leave at 58 with a full pension. Trust me, if you don't do it now, you'll regret it later in life.

At my terminal, in a year and a half, I have moved from 14th out of 14 and am now 11th out of 16. I have 5 guys below me and it will likely be 9 out of 25 in two years. Where else can you realize such a huge gain in such a short time and this at a premier company like UPS.

But the bottom line is that you're going to have to cover that mortgage. And don't count on working weekends as there seems to be a freeze on that. I would consider finding a part time job, maybe delivering pizzas, to help subsidize your income. You'll be glad you did in five years.

Extra board ain't bad, because once you get out, then it's first in first out, meaning that you're just as likely to get work as the next guy. Take whatever they offer you and always ask for more. Show them you're hungry and volunteer to go anywhere they have freight. Pack an overnight bag and let them know that you have it. Once they know you'll run, then they'll run you. But if you always have excuses for not running, then you'll find fewer offers. As for running long, I found that was the best way to get work. Once you're in the system, then you're far more likely to get the miles. I try to stay out as much as I can whenever I can.

Also, getting hired now is really the best time. This time of year, things start picking up and we start to move out of the slow periods of February and March. (But I have to say, this winter wasn't slow at all. I worked every day.)

I hope this helps.

Also, if the fill-in is offered to you, you might consider it. As RevItUp pointed out, you get first choice on the bid runs when they're on vacation. Our fill-in guys do quite well at our terminal. Ask how many road drivers they have and how many fill-in drivers. The more road driver and fewer fill-in drivers the better you're going to be. I wouldn't want to be anything lower than 1 if you have under 20 drivers.

Good luck to you.

Thank you all so much for your input. I've come to the realization that at the company that I am at now the only guarantee is a paycheck with years of unhappiness. So at this point I am really talking myself into this posistion and will hope that it will grow into something big within 5yrs time.

I am going back in today to talk to the TM so I will let you all know how it goes.

Thank you all

Thank you all so much for your input. I've come to the realization that at the company that I am at now the only guarantee is a paycheck with years of unhappiness. So at this point I am really talking myself into this posistion and will hope that it will grow into something big within 5yrs time.

I am going back in today to talk to the TM so I will let you all know how it goes.

Thank you all

Just to add my 2 cents I agree this company is in it's infancy stage. Come on board now and if you have to weather a little storm short term in the long term it will be well worth it. You will be glad you did.

I just got back from talking with the Ops manager at the terminal, here in town. I'll be completely honest; I was thouroughly impressed with his explaination of the company and its buisiness dynamic. I am certain that he was not misleading me in the least, and I am very optimistic as to the future of this company and what it has to offer. That is why I believe that my decision, today, to start the employment process is a sound decision for me. Yes, I understand that it will be a difficult transition for the first 2-5yrs., but I am ready to invest this time knowing that the outcome will be a positive one.

So, if everything goes efficiently, the Ops manager told me that I could expect to start my trainning period as soon as next Friday. I'll keep you all posted!!!!

Thanks to you all for your input with regards to this post. You all had a SIGNIFICANT inmpact in helping me make what I believe is the right decision.

This is how I deal with hard life decisions.
I ask around just like you did by this thread on the truckingboards.
Than I talk it over with my wife weighing in on all the pro's.and con's.
Next I pray about it in Jesus name,believing God will give me peace about the right way to go.
When Feel its right,I step out in faith that God will work it out for my best interest.

I'm almost 63 and so far God has never let me down.
The way I know God I know he never will fail in blessing me because I'm one of his kids,and he loves taking good care of all his childern.

Welcome to the boards and to UPSF ollie78. Best of luck and keep us updated. If you got any questions shoot them out. You'll get a answer or another rumor to spread.:hysterical:

Just to add my 2 cents I agree this company is in it's infancy stage. Come on board now and if you have to weather a little storm short term in the long term it will be well worth it. You will be glad you did.

Couldn't agree with you more. The time to get in is now. :1036316054: