FedEx Freight | RTFM!

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
Speaking of the Auto shift transmissions, has anyone read the freakin' manual?

While most have likely figured out enough to get by, this might benefit those not yet familiar with the challenges, and how to work within the system. Any helpful hints, learned from trial and error, could be of significant value to the rest of the class. Please feel free to share.

Meanwhile, here is some of what the manual says:

I5MSp8V.jpg

DRIVE MODE
ELWJcoq.jpg

On some of the new ones the "Hill Assist" feature is on even on level ground. There is a button on the dash to turn it off but it comes back on the next time you stop. Then you have a 2 or 3 second delay before you can move. This is a defect. Shop can't figure it out. Has to be sent to the dealer.

MANUAL MODE

SwutHnh.jpg
I prefer to drive in manual mode although there's still some issues. When empty or relatively light, the highest starting gear allowed in manual mode is 3rd while in my Volvo with a clutch, I can start in 4th with no issues...3rd still seems to low. While I utilize the multiple gear upshifts (skip shifting) "when allowed", there's still to much lag during takeoff between the gears and a maximum of two gears is all that's allowed...2nd to 4th, 3rd to 5th, etc... Again, My Volvo with a clutch, or even the I-Shift, allows skiping more than two gears to keep maximum momentum in order to reach top speed as quickly as possible which is where the ideal RPM to speed (best fuel economy) is located.

Manual mode is also better for pulling hills since you have control of the downshift, auto mode waits way to long to downshift which leaves us dead in the water....and before someone says it's best to let the truck lug in the low range of the gear to achieve the best fuel economy, let's be real...how much fuel are we really saving on a pull??? IMO, it's best to get to the top of the grade where I can get back to top speed where the real fuel savings are.

In conclusion, give me my Volvo with a stick and clutch where I have full control and I'll continue to get just as good, if not better fuel mileage as the auto-shifts!! :1036316054: :smilie93c peelout:

I prefer to drive in manual mode although there's still some issues. When empty or relatively light, the highest starting gear allowed in manual mode is 3rd while in my Volvo with a clutch, I can start in 4th with no issues...3rd still seems to low. While I utilize the multiple gear upshifts (skip shifting) "when allowed", there's still to much lag during takeoff between the gears and a maximum of two gears is all that's allowed...2nd to 4th, 3rd to 5th, etc... Again, My Volvo with a clutch, or even the I-Shift, allows skiping more than two gears to keep maximum momentum in order to reach top speed as quickly as possible which is where the ideal RPM to speed (best fuel economy) is located.

Manual mode is also better for pulling hills since you have control of the downshift, auto mode waits way to long to downshift which leaves us dead in the water....and before someone says it's best to let the truck lug in the low range of the gear to achieve the best fuel economy, let's be real...how much fuel are we really saving on a pull??? IMO, it's best to get to the top of the grade where I can get back to top speed where the real fuel savings are.

In conclusion, give me my Volvo with a stick and clutch where I have full control and I'll continue to get just as good, if not better fuel mileage as the auto-shifts!! :1036316054: :smilie93c peelout:
Good info Red. I agree with the preference for the old school manual transmission. I do look forward to trying the skip shifting, and I'm curious about Creep mode, in gridlock traffic.

More later. Gotta run... :smilie93c peelout:

Autos with creep mode drive pretty much just like a car with a torque converter automatic. The skip shifting can be inconvenient at times.

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that a ten speed just doesn't cut it anymore. I-shifts have 12 gears, and the average broker truck has a 13 speed stick. Every time I've used a modern 10, it feels like it's out of breath in gears 7-9. The gaps in the ratios are too large and you can't rev like you used to in order to compensate for it. An "economic" 10 speed falls on it's face most of the time, automatic or manual.

My truck is pretty old school for a 2013. 3.70 final drive, 13 speed manual and a 485hp Cummins ISX. It pulls like a hero unless the hill is particularly steep, the wind is hard in my face or the load is really heavy.

Good info Red. I agree with the preference for the old school manual transmission. I do look forward to trying the skip shifting, and I'm curious about Creep mode, in gridlock traffic.

More later. Gotta run... :smilie93c peelout:
I'll also add that "skip shifting" requires good timing...press the upshift button to quick or not quick enough and you'll only advance one gear at a time. After several attempts you'll get the hang of the proper tempo needed to use this technique, practice makes progress.

Creep mode....it seems the auto-shifts are always locked in creep mode!! :hysterical:

I like my 18 speed I'm just not ready for an automatic. That being said when I worked for Sysco most of their trucks had Allison automatics and man what a difference. Compared to the autoshift, it was a dream, they had some autoshifts too. One day I was helping a driver who was behind, me bobtail in an autoshift him pulling a pup with an Allison and he could go off and leave me from light to light. The Allison is like your car constant power no losing momentum to shift and sitting in traffic you just ride the brake like your car. One of the drivers for a local construction companies is an older guy who's been driving forever and he got an Allison in his latest truck, its behind a ISX 550 and he hauls 150,000 on a regular basis. He claims of he's following their other truck with the 18 speed hauling the same load he has to back out of it to avoid rear ending him. Not sure why Fedex hasn't tried them especially in those little L units.

I'll also add that "skip shifting" requires good timing...press the upshift button to quick or not quick enough and you'll only advance one gear at a time. After several attempts you'll get the hang of the proper tempo needed to use this technique, practice makes progress.

Creep mode....it seems the auto-shifts are always locked in creep mode!! :hysterical:

I'm finding, for most city operation, leaving it in drive, but using the up-shift when needed, is working best. Also, it will skip shift in drive... But beep when request for next gear is denied. Anyone notice, it (Pete) seems to want to stay in 7th... Forever, unless nudged along?

I'd like to use the "creep" feature in reverse, but so far, no luck. Not yet had a chance to use "creep" in forward, yet.

I'm finding, for most city operation, leaving it in drive, but using the up-shift when needed, is working best. Also, it will skip shift in drive... But beep when request for next gear is denied. Anyone notice, it (Pete) seems to want to stay in 7th... Forever, unless nudged along?

I'd like to use the "creep" feature in reverse, but so far, no luck. Not yet had a chance to use "creep" in forward, yet.
I can see leaving it in Drive for city use...makes sense...we don't stop and start that often so manual makes sense for us. Ah yes, forgot about the annoying "beep", haven't been in an auto-shift in a while....lucky me!!
I try to avoid the Pete's at all cost, ours spend more time in the shop than on the road and I particularly don't like getting stranded out on the road.

I had to drive a Volvo yesterday. R12XXX, with Volvo engine/D-13 transmission combo. After driving a Pete for a while, the difference was huge. 1st off, the torque, and smoothness of shifting make it far superior in most areas.

The Volvo skip shifts on it's own, quite effectively, making it to 10th gear (of 13) before 30 mph, if just easing along in city traffic The Eaton will NEVER do that. Certainly not in Drive.

Also, the Volvo goes into "creep mode" on it's own, with little or no effort.

The Volvo is NOT perfect though. The "hill assist" is way to slow too release, taking a full 5-6 seconds. Also, in reverse, backing to a dock, uphill, totally frustrating. Hill assist kicks in, the the release is so abrupt as to make smooth tight quarter operation nearly impossible. Creep works well until you stop, 2-3 feet from the dock. Good luck with a soft bump of the dock... unless you pull back out, a significant distance, and reverse again in creep mode. And don't get in a hurry! None of these Autos like it when you get in a hurry in tight/technical situations....

I do realize that these Auto-Shifts seem top have their own personalities, even among the same brand. So your impression may vary.

More later...

I had to drive a Volvo yesterday. R12XXX, with Volvo engine/D-13 transmission combo. After driving a Pete for a while, the difference was huge. 1st off, the torque, and smoothness of shifting make it far superior in most areas.

The Volvo skip shifts on it's own, quite effectively, making it to 10th gear (of 13) before 30 mph, if just easing along in city traffic The Eaton will NEVER do that. Certainly not in Drive.

Also, the Volvo goes into "creep mode" on it's own, with little or no effort.

The Volvo is NOT perfect though. The "hill assist" is way to slow too release, taking a full 5-6 seconds. Also, in reverse, backing to a dock, uphill, totally frustrating. Hill assist kicks in, the the release is so abrupt as to make smooth tight quarter operation nearly impossible. Creep works well until you stop, 2-3 feet from the dock. Good luck with a soft bump of the dock... unless you pull back out, a significant distance, and reverse again in creep mode. And don't get in a hurry! None of these Autos like it when you get in a hurry in tight/technical situations....

I do realize that these Auto-Shifts seem top have their own personalities, even among the same brand. So your impression may vary.

More later...
Agreed
Seems I remember reading somewhere that the auto-shifts "adapt" to the driving habits of the driver which is supposed to improve the experience for the driver while the truck's onboard ECM improves the fuel mileage based on the driving habits...but I could be wrong. Through my own experience I've found that the more you drive the truck the better it performs...which would make sense.

Agreed
Seems I remember reading somewhere that the auto-shifts "adapt" to the driving habits of the driver which is supposed to improve the experience for the driver while the truck's onboard ECM improves the fuel mileage based on the driving habits...but I could be wrong. Through my own experience I've found that the more you drive the truck the better it performs...which would make sense.
Wonder how that adaptation works in slipseat operation... Not very well, I would expect. It must confuse the system, to some degree.