Holland | Several Reasons To Vote YES

I was hung out during our one (1) information/explanation meeting so I did not get to hear what was said. From some earlier posts (I already admitted to being a lazy researcher so I don't remember which ones off-hand), it was mentioned that the ACTUAL "memorandum of understanding" expanding on the agreements reached in implementing the new articles in the NMFA was read but not distributed.
PJ, in his post attachment, explained that a memorandum of that type has been held in court to be legally binding subject to some restrictions.
By not distributing the "memorandum of understanding" between TMI and the Teamsters Union, both of those parties have eliminated to possibility of rank and file members forcing both parties to hew to the argreements in the NMFA as they are understood by the negotiators.
If you trust the companies AND the union officials, no problem.
If you doubt the integrity of the companies and the top level of union officials....BIG PROBLEM.
Thus my dilemma: if the articles of the proposed NMFA are not spelled out clearly, with those grey areas supposedly covered by non-contract "agreements, we (the actual workers) do not have a leg to stand on if, after ratification, we find that things are not working out as we presumed they would.
So, I still say VOTE NO....but yes or no, vote!

Are you forgetting, this is a 5 year contract! The economy isn't going to be in the crapper that long, but this contract sure will be!

Before I start on my violin story I would like to say that I will vote no on this contract.
Now to my violin! I can’t help but think of all the non union drivers out there who are eagerly awaiting the ratification of our next contract so they will know about what they can expect to receive from their fearless leaders to keep them non union.
I remember back in the sixties & seventies when I was a young kid and my father was a teamster (now retired). Thanks to people like him the union was strong and being a Teamster had a demand for respect. Since then we have watched deregulation slowly destroy the trucking industry. All these non union lines have popped up and we have watched the non union freight men and women ride the coat tails of good Teamsters who put their livelihoods on the line to make sure we all had the respect that we all deserve.
Now it’s down to this joke of a contract for us few Teamsters left while the non union people blindly continue to use the think of themselves and who cares about my coworker mentality.
Maybe someday when us few Teamsters are no longer and the non union companies know there is no threat of a union, we can all set back and watch the non union employees (who were to busy thinking of number one) quickly lose everything that true Teamsters got for them.

There used to be clout back in the 60's and 70's

Saia, R&L, Con-way, Central, Averitt, Estes, AAA Cooper, Vitran,
Southeastern, Fed-Ex, Old Dominion, Just to name a few,
That's the clout we have now
YRCW, ABF, and maybe UPS Freight:hide:

AND the gov. didn't have all the hoops to jump thru to become union thanks to corporate lobbyist. The deck is stacked and not in our favor. Oh, did I mention the economy? That's in the crapper too.:hissyfit::biglaugh:

too late but

do any of you understand that a no vote does not mean a strike?? it does not mean the doors will close?? it means back to the table to clear up all these things we don't like or aren't clear about and make sure our best interests are being taken care of in writing. even if everyone voted no it means plan b for yrc, pull out plan b contract and see if we like that. we can even operate under our current contract without a strike after April 1 till all is worked out. these white collar execs look at you like a bunch of dumb truckers and most of you are proving them right. vote no and lets get all this fog cleared out!! this is five years of your lives and livelihood people. i tried my best for a no vote but maybe im just talking to a bunch of dumb truckers. bicker and fight while most all of you vote yes out of fear and we all go down in round one, yrc wins just as they knew they would, those stupid truckers, hahh !