Yellow | Should Roadway and Yellow get the Change

You can throw off on people needing to work all you want. You must have alot of seniority because some of us only get to work 8 to 9 months a year. So we have to make hay while the sun shines. Besides its not us super truckers that are screwing our brothers its you A-holes that never take a day off when your brother is laid off.

Figures this comment comes from someone in a right to work state. Well just remember something young man, all us "seniority" A-holes were in the same boat as you when we started. And the fact is, we also have a right to work. If you think being a "super trucker" is gonna get you anywhere, I advise you readjust your thinking cap. Just look at the scenario, you churn and burn for 8, 9 months and sit for 3 or 4. Yet the seniority A-hole is sure and steady and works 12 months out of the year. So who is the A-hole? One day, a senior man may have the same discussion with you , that I had over 20 years ago, (the time I started, and thought that by doing more, I would impress the bosses).

The bottom line is this.....the more you do, the more they (management) will expect you to do, and if by some chance you have a bad day, they will think you are screwing them. Then they will watch you and look for ways to fire you. Also, if you manage to accomplish 5 days worth of work in 3 days, you will only get 3 days of work. Not meaning to dampen your situation, but how do you think a guy with 15 years in feels when those 15 years don't give him enough seniority to be working everyday either? It's time to stop being a Meester and try being a Teamster. Put in your time, pay your dues (and I don't mean union dues), get with the program or find another line of work. 20 years from now, you will be on the other side of the coin, looking to make up for the time you lost when you were first cutting your teeth at the bottom of a seniority board.

Seniority has some rights that go with the time put in.
Those rights are hard earned.....they aren't just given out on a silver platter.

So what exactly is a utility driver?
My Dad works at Roadway in Memphis and they keep talking about utility drivers but has not got an answer as to what they are.

Racoon,

I will be at my Union Meeting tomorrow.
If they give us any clear cut definition, I will post it here for you.

Figures this comment comes from someone in a right to work state. Well just remember something young man, all us "seniority" A-holes were in the same boat as you when we started. And the fact is, we also have a right to work. If you think being a "super trucker" is gonna get you anywhere, I advise you readjust your thinking cap. Just look at the scenario, you churn and burn for 8, 9 months and sit for 3 or 4. Yet the seniority A-hole is sure and steady and works 12 months out of the year. So who is the A-hole? One day, a senior man may have the same discussion with you , that I had over 20 years ago, (the time I started, and thought that by doing more, I would impress the bosses).

The bottom line is this.....the more you do, the more they (management) will expect you to do, and if by some chance you have a bad day, they will think you are screwing them. Then they will watch you and look for ways to fire you. Also, if you manage to accomplish 5 days worth of work in 3 days, you will only get 3 days of work. Not meaning to dampen your situation, but how do you think a guy with 15 years in feels when those 15 years don't give him enough seniority to be working everyday either? It's time to stop being a Meester and try being a Teamster. Put in your time, pay your dues (and I don't mean union dues), get with the program or find another line of work. 20 years from now, you will be on the other side of the coin, looking to make up for the time you lost when you were first cutting your teeth at the bottom of a seniority board.

Those rights are hard earned.....they aren't just given out on a silver platter.

I just want to make sure I understand, are you saying it is OK for a dockman to volunteer for OT or an extra day or for a road driver to work his normal day off (if he has hours) while men are on layoff, are you saying that is one of the perks of seniority?

I just want to make sure I understand, are you saying it is OK for a dockman to volunteer for OT or an extra day or for a road driver to work his normal day off (if he has hours) while men are on layoff, are you saying that is one of the perks of seniority?

I am not saying whether it is ok or not.
What I am saying is, if a man has hours available and is requested to work, he has the right to accept or deny the extra work.

When I broke into this industry in the 80's, LTL was a different animal than it is today. I was fortunate to have a few guys, not many mind you, but a few, that lived by the credo of protecting the bottom guys. I even had a steward at Preston that told some senior men, that if they had over a certain amount of OT for the week, to not bid weekend work so as to allow junior men that only got a couple of days, the opportunity to make one more day for the week.

In 99, when Preston closed, I went to Roadway, LTL was still a slightly different animal, but I found less guys that lived by that credo, but there were some that would take time to let somone else work. To this day, if I have paid days, and see a junior man is going home, I and a few others will relinquish to let someone else work. The problem here arises that just because you volunteer to leave, doesn't mean the job will put them on for that day. This is something you need to know, if you decide to give up the day.

There have been plenty of days in my career that work was not available. Basically, you can never get those days back, but there are still plenty of people that think they can, when they have the seniority to do so. Is it a perk? I guess you can say yes, because a junior man doesn't have the same leverage.

What I think is wrong and unfair is when a job sends excess freight to cartage agents. When I started at Roadway, cartage went out heavy on Monday & Tuesday and then gobs of guys were sent home due to lack of work the rest of the week. I can remember many weeks when I started at Roadway where I only worked Monday & Friday, yet another company altogether, was delivering my freight. This practice should be halted completely if men are laid off....just my personal opinion.

Animo, I have read many of your posts and I usually agree with them, but this post I do not. We as Teamsters have to look out for one another including the junior employees. This is just my opinion and I will probably get slammed for it, but if all regular employees are not getting an opportunity for a 40 hour check then we senior Teamsters have no business working overtime or extra days. Being forced is one thing, but volunteering for this extra work in my opinion would make that person as you called it a Meester. The Teamsters are supposed to be about looking out for one another to keep the company from running over us. So I say that if every Teamster is not getting their piece of the pie (40-hours) then we senior Teamsters have no business going back for seconds (voluntary overtime or extra days).

Animo, I have read many of your posts and I usually agree with them, but this post I do not. We as Teamsters have to look out for one another including the junior employees. This is just my opinion and I will probably get slammed for it, but if all regular employees are not getting an opportunity for a 40 hour check then we senior Teamsters have no business working overtime or extra days. Being forced is one thing, but volunteering for this extra work in my opinion would make that person as you called it a Meester. The Teamsters are supposed to be about looking out for one another to keep the company from running over us. So I say that if every Teamster is not getting their piece of the pie (40-hours) then we senior Teamsters have no business going back for seconds (voluntary overtime or extra days).

Steward of the Rock,

Me thinks you replied in haste. If you saw my answer to the following post you would have seen how I feel. In the post you quoted, I was mearly pointing out a fact. The fact is, there are too many greedy Teamsters that I would also classify as Meesters because they only care for themselves. If you noticed in post #24, I mentioned the fact that I have come across a few men that will indeed look out for junior men. But these few men are few and far bewtween. Again, simply stating a fact. I remember plenty of days when I started at Roadway where I only got 2 or 3 days for the week and guys were getting a 6 punch. You can't change someone that isn't willing to change for the common good.

Also I mentioned a bigger more threatening problem ......giving away freight to cartage, that could be handled by men on layoff. Unfortunately, it is also something that is probably not going to change.

From my following post.....
When I broke into this industry in the 80's, LTL was a different animal than it is today. I was fortunate to have a few guys, not many mind you, but a few, that lived by the credo of protecting the bottom guys. I even had a steward at Preston that told some senior men, that if they had over a certain amount of OT for the week, to not bid weekend work so as to allow junior men that only got a couple of days, the opportunity to make one more day for the week.
To this day, if I have paid days, and see a junior man is going home, I and a few others will relinquish to let someone else work.
What I think is wrong and unfair is when a job sends excess freight to cartage agents. When I started at Roadway, cartage went out heavy on Monday & Tuesday and then gobs of guys were sent home due to lack of work the rest of the week. I can remember many weeks when I started at Roadway where I only worked Monday & Friday, yet another company altogether, was delivering my freight. This practice should be halted completely if men are laid off....just my personal opinion.

Basically, everything you said about looking out for each other, I agree with. I wasn't stating my position, just the way I see it after 20+ years in the industry. And I will still give up a day to let someone else work. It's more fun to be on my boat than to be at work.

So.....are we back on the same page?:beerchug:

Steward of the Rock,

Me thinks you replied in haste. If you saw my answer to the following post you would have seen how I feel. In the post you quoted, I was mearly pointing out a fact. The fact is, there are too many greedy Teamsters that I would also classify as Meesters because they only care for themselves. If you noticed in post #24, I mentioned the fact that I have come across a few men that will indeed look out for junior men. But these few men are few and far bewtween. Again, simply stating a fact. I remember plenty of days when I started at Roadway where I only got 2 or 3 days for the week and guys were getting a 6 punch. You can't change someone that isn't willing to change for the common good.

Also I mentioned a bigger more threatening problem ......giving away freight to cartage, that could be handled by men on layoff. Unfortunately, it is also something that is probably not going to change.

Basically, everything you said about looking out for each other, I agree with. I wasn't stating my position, just the way I see it after 20+ years in the industry. And I will still give up a day to let someone else work. It's more fun to be on my boat than to be at work.

ooch ............roadway dont do things like that lmfao:hysterical: well not anymore we at brooklyn have a steward that likes to fight for us now, and to tell you the truth its starting to feel good again that someone like our steward will take your back no matter what. Mike and Louie are what we needed for a long time and i like that they have balls

Steward of the Rock,

I apologize for jumping the gun there Animo. Here at the Big Green in Little Rock when we first had our layoff (December) everyone pretty much stuck together and turned down the overtime. But since about March it seems that the majority voluntarily accept the overtime, even on the days that the laid-off men don't get to work. This includes the so-called hardline Teamsters. There are only a handful of us left that turn down the overtime. I need it as much as the next guy, but not at the expense of another man not getting his forty in. I guess these guys forgot what it was like to be laid-off and that when they were the junior men how the senior guys turned down the overtime so that they had the opportunity to work. I may be broke, but at least my conscience is clear knowing that I did not screw a fellow Teamster out of a day's pay or insurance for his family. And again Animo, I appologize and we are on the same page brother.

I am not saying whether it is ok or not.
What I am saying is, if a man has hours available and is requested to work, he has the right to accept or deny the extra work.

In 99, when Preston closed, I went to Roadway, LTL was still a slightly different animal, but I found less guys that lived by that credo, but there were some that would take time to let somone else work. To this day, if I have paid days, and see a junior man is going home, I and a few others will relinquish to let someone else work. The problem here arises that just because you volunteer to leave, doesn't mean the job will put them on for that day. This is something you need to know, if you decide to give up the day.

There have been plenty of days in my career that work was not available. Basically, you can never get those days back, but there are still plenty of people that think they can, when they have the seniority to do so. Is it a perk? I guess you can say yes, because a junior man doesn't have the same leverage.

Thank you for the clarification. I understand where lil rebel is coming from, he might have been better served to not lump those who work all the OT they can while men are on layoff as "all senior men" I know plenty of senior men who refuse to volunteer for OT or work x-tra days while there is a layoff. With that said I don't think it was fair to refer to him as a "meester" because when he does get an opportunity to work he maximizes that opportunity. Brother, as you have stated you remember what is was like at the bottom of the board, one week you starve the next week you get some work, makes it tough to take care of your family.

I think we could all take the time to consider our Brothers and Sisters needs it would make this a better union. Just my opinion.........

Thank you for the clarification. I understand where lil rebel is coming from, he might have been better served to not lump those who work all the OT they can while men are on layoff as "all senior men" I know plenty of senior men who refuse to volunteer for OT or work x-tra days while there is a layoff. With that said I don't think it was fair to refer to him as a "meester" because when he does get an opportunity to work he maximizes that opportunity. Brother, as you have stated you remember what is was like at the bottom of the board, one week you starve the next week you get some work, makes it tough to take care of your family.

I think we could all take the time to consider our Brothers and Sisters needs it would make this a better union. Just my opinion.........

So I`m just curious, in your opinion, is it ok for the layed off man who is who makes himself available, and is called into work,to volunteer for ot?

Thank you for the clarification. I understand where lil rebel is coming from, he might have been better served to not lump those who work all the OT they can while men are on layoff as "all senior men"
I know exactly where he is coming from too. I used to be the same way when I first started. Had to get as much of the pie while it was available to me. But then I was shown the error in my ways, and have learned what it means to be a team player.
With that said I don't think it was fair to refer to him as a "meester" because when he does get an opportunity to work he maximizes that opportunity.
Maximizing the opportunity doesn't mean doing twice as much as they guy next to you. It doesn't mean getting 5 days of work finished in 3 days. It doesn't mean running over other drivers (if you are on the road). It was his particular remark.....
Lil Rebel said:
So we have to make hay while the sun shines. Besides its not us super truckers that are screwing our brothers its you A-holes that never take a day off when your brother is laid off.
After 20+ years in LTL and 30 years total driving, I can safely say "making hay", doesn't make you a super trucker. A super trucker is someone that goes out and delivers and picks up his freight undamaged, or gets his loads to destination intact, and can accomplish as much as he can in the given amount of time, and returns home safely each and every day.
I agree, after all, it is in the Teamster constitution to look after our fellow Brothers and Sisters, and to bear them no harm. That is also why I take offense to some wannabe, that lumps all us senior guys into one catagory.

Just wait the screams from road drivers will start when they all go hourly!!And lose $20 to $100 a day for there constantly running hot. Why should the company give you 12 hrs for a run when you have super stars doing it in 8!

The language in the contract on utility employees starts out with the first paragraph saying that the intent of the utility employee classification is to enhance job opportunities and employee earnings. In my opinion we will loose jobs and all those nearly 400 over the road jobs turning into utility will make less. So lets hope that the Freight division does the right thing.

The language in the contract on utility employees starts out with the first paragraph saying that the intent of the utility employee classification is to enhance job opportunities and employee earnings. In my opinion we will loose jobs and all those nearly 400 over the road jobs turning into utility will make less. So lets hope that the Freight division does the right thing.

Check my post on the Holland thread
http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/usf-holland/34898-c-o-o-document-info-6.html#post339018

Maybe you will hear the roadmen yelling but lets wait and see the 70 hour city BOYS when the 4 hr partimers start to take their overtime. Let C who if laughing then.:hysterical::nutkick:

I just dont think that this is going to make anybody happy even the customers because now your going to have road drivers that dont have that much seniority and a city driver will bump him out of the Utility spot and now you have a roadman that has to peddle frt and Im not saying all road drivers will have a problem but we get some at our terminal that it takes them 30 min to back into a door and know your going to ask them to go and deliver 15 stops a day and make pu I just dont see how this is going to help anyone

I just dont think that this is going to make anybody happy even the customers because now your going to have road drivers that dont have that much seniority and a city driver will bump him out of the Utility spot and now you have a roadman that has to peddle frt and Im not saying all road drivers will have a problem but we get some at our terminal that it takes them 30 min to back into a door and know your going to ask them to go and deliver 15 stops a day and make pu I just dont see how this is going to help anyone

What management and the union need to think about is that the low seniorty road drivers, who can stay on, WILL they stay on?
Lets face it, non-union wages on the TL side are up; most are d/h, and when live unloading is needed, lumpers are paid for by the company. Most of the time, the driver is even allowed on the dock!

Just something to think about!

So I`m just curious, in your opinion, is it ok for the layed off man who is who makes himself available, and is called into work,to volunteer for ot?

you know, Flat Top that's a tough one. I guess I'd have to say if he worked 5 days and got his forty he should not, but then on Monday he don't know if he is gonna get in all week and if there is daily OT available what does he do. It's not like he's a 90%er and is guaranteed 40. I just wish this economy would get fired up again and then we could talk cars and girls instead.

Just wait the screams from road drivers will start when they all go hourly!!And lose $20 to $100 a day for there constantly running hot. Why should the company give you 12 hrs for a run when you have super stars doing it in 8!
Most road bids will be kept intact (not all). Any road driver affected can either bid to the UE at his terminal or transfer to follow road work to another terminal. As for the super trucker that runs a 12 hour in 8, I find it highly unlikelythat anyone can trim 4 hours off a run. It sounds like you are talking about a newer employee and seniority will still get the bid.
TOBY135 said:
From what I have found out, the utility driver is probably going to be on a tight schedule. They will probably run close to 14 hours per day. Given the extra $1/hour in pay that would amount to $8 plus $6 for OT, on top of the regular scale. I came off running Bklyn to Carlisle several years ago. Basically, if I worked 10 hours in the city, I would make the same money as making the run. The run was "clocked" for roughly 4 hours 10 minutes, but it usually took more because of NY City traffic. The average amount of time I spent on the run was between 12 and 13 hours per day. The most I ever got for delay time was 1.5 clicks. The truth is, fast turn runs make less than bed runs, it's just a way of life. City work, on the clock has it's advantages once overtime kicks in.
rad said:
Roadmen at losing terminals will get first option to take utility bids before city men. Otherwise they have the option to transfer to a terminal that is gaining road work. Hell, I've been in the city for a long time and still have stops that take a long time to back into.
cheese eater said:
Maybe you will hear the roadmen yelling but lets wait and see the 70 hour city BOYS when the 4 hr partimers start to take their overtime. Let C who if laughing then.
Most city drivers are only allowed 60 hours in 7 days. The exception is at barns that work 24/7 in which case they can do 70 in 8 days. But that is the exception, not the norm. You guys need to stop getting your panties in a bunch. You need to stop posting about hyperthetical situations that aren't going to happen. Especially city men losing work to 4 hour casuals. The 4 hour casual is only for dock work. It is also going to be used in addition to bidded dock work to help facilitate the movement of freight for the UE drivers. Also, I beleive, all laid off men (at an affected termninal) must be recalled before the casuals can be used. Maybe you should all take the time and get real answers to your concerns from your representatives, the way I did. These posts of, I heard from someone, that heard form someone, that heard from somone has to stop. All it does is drive a wall between everyone, and this makes management very happy to see us fight amongst ourselves.
United we stand.....divided, we fall.

Again, I refer everyone to my earlier post
http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/usf-holland/34898-c-o-o-document-info-6.html#post339018

Realize one thing, there was a lot I didn't agree with before the contract. The cauals and the UE were part of it, and henceforth I voted to turn down the contract. After sitting through my meeting yesterday, I have come to learn that it is sink or swim time. These changes need to work in order for us to gain back what we have lost ....in terms of business. If this doesn't work, we all LOSE!!!!!