Yellow | Should there be a 30 and out?

Here in the NY state pension fund, we've had the 30 and out at any age for about 10 yrs. There's been guys that retired at 49 years old getting 5000.00 a month.

Let me think about that, ok, done.
Thats a sweet deal there! With summer coming up and all that time on my hands at the beach... :shades:

126.jpg

Honest Larry just making fun of ourselfs here, but whats the difference between casualing just to be with the guys or hanging around this board? I have no idea why I feel the need to argue with other truck drivers in my off time either. It must be something lacking in my blood. Sick, Sad lot we are.:smilie_132:

You got a point. The two differences that come to mind are:
1) after break is over, I have to go back out on the dock.
2) I'd rather sit here in my home and chat than sit in the sh**hole they called a break room. Both the city/dock and the linehaul break rooms were pukeholes.

I didn't see x475's post. Now that is the best reason.

I have always told my friends the very day my numbers line up and I can retire you had better not be in the way cause I will run over you as I head for the parking lot for the last time.

There should be a voluntary 30 & out, with full benefits! If were not allowing a 30 an out (at any age), then why in the hell would any driver join a Union before the age of 35? The whole idea of hiring younger Union workers would be a mute point, if a 21 year old has to get beaten up in these fine "Large cars" for 44 years to get a pension! I uderstand the pay & benefits are better at Union companies, but, i'm here for the pension.

How many Checks will you get.

Its very funny that you mention that statement there, because that is exactly what a lady we know that did some work at the Lancaster Hospice said too. The exact words were that people normally ask for photos of their family in the room, to have their family members there to spend time with, but never I wish I had worked more or made more money. Anyhow, very true when you think about it and something most forget at times while living.
I remember hearing years ago, before the INTERNET:hysterical: that the average number of checks a Teamster received before he croaked was 19 checks. I have tried to search out this statistic but to no avail. Maybe some of you geeks can find it and let us old guys known how long we have to go:hide:

How many Checks will you get.

Its very funny that you mention that statement there, because that is exactly what a lady we know that did some work at the Lancaster Hospice said too. The exact words were that people normally ask for photos of their family in the room, to have their family members there to spend time with, but never I wish I had worked more or made more money. Anyhow, very true when you think about it and something most forget at times while living.
I remember hearing years ago, before the INTERNET:hysterical: that the average number of checks a Teamster received before he croaked was 19 checks. I have tried to search out this statistic but to no avail. Maybe some of you geeks can find it, and let us old guys known how long we have to go:hide:
83840801el1.gif

I remember hearing years ago, before the INTERNET:hysterical: that the average number of checks a Teamster received before he croaked was 19 checks. I have tried to search out this statistic but to no avail. Maybe some of you geeks can find it, and let us old guys known how long we have to go:hide:
83840801el1.gif

I can speak only from anecdotal evidence, but I have never seen any evidence of this, quite to the contrary. Analyzing this, it sounds like a story started by junior members to scare senior people into retiring. I've never known anyone who retired for any other reason than it was when they decided to go. All outside suggestions and influence only tend to **** them off, causing them to stay longer just for spite.

I'm surprised anyone would vote no if it wasn't mandatory.This is a no brainer! Even if you can't do it yourself, you should be in favor of it because you would move up on the seniority list!!! It doesn't serve the union because you would be "tappin" the pension early. The longer you work, the less you collect. My advice to everyone is to retire as soon as you can. I never heard of anyone on their death bed say "I wish I would have worked more".
Ah. Yes. But herein lies the dilema... The earlier a senior retires and "collects more money" less of the money:smilie_132: will be left over for the junior...

In 1994 central states released that the average retiree collected 12 checks, in 1998 that number went up to 14 checks. That is why the pay-out went up $500 per month in 98 and since the pension has been doing bad. Many retired in 98-2003 and are still receiving checks. I was told the figure is given out because it is the premise for how much retirees should get per month, that tells how much the fund needs to cover its obligations, this many checks for each retiree.

It makes sense that the pension fund would have actuarial charts to determine future account balance needs. And those numbers you quoted might be true. They seems very unrealistic to me, because that is an average. That would mean that a lot of retirees wouldn't even last that long. I just can't think of anyone that I know who retired and croaked that soon after leaving. But like I said, I don't have access to this information, I'm just going by what I have seen personally. I don't know if this is relevant, but my business agent told me that the fund administrator buys a five year annuity on a retiree. If he survives that, they purchase another five years and so on.

Can you say BBBBBBBAAAAAABBBBBBBYYYYY BBBOOOOMMMMMMERRRRSSSS.

Post WW2 is when they started to stress the use of vitamins and in general there was a better availability of healthy foods for the mothers.
Can you say Actuaries w/no experience!!!!

It makes sense that the pension fund would have actuarial charts to determine future account balance needs. And those numbers you quoted might be true. They seems very unrealistic to me, because that is an average. That would mean that a lot of retirees wouldn't even last that long. I just can't think of anyone that I know who retired and croaked that soon after leaving. But like I said, I don't have access to this information, I'm just going by what I have seen personally. I don't know if this is relevant, but my business agent told me that the fund administrator buys a five year annuity on a retiree. If he survives that, they purchase another five years and so on.

Back in the 90's while i was a member of local 120, we had at least one guy die his last week and one guy die on his way home from his retirement party, no lie. On the other hand my dad retired in 98 and two uncles retired before him and they are all still receiving checks, thats why it is average retiree.

Back in the 90's while i was a member of local 120, we had at least one guy die his last week and one guy die on his way home from his retirement party, no lie. On the other hand my dad retired in 98 and two uncles retired before him and they are all still receiving checks, thats why it is average retiree.

So I figure 2to5 years to live.:eek:

Currently, over 212,000 Teamster members or their
spouses receive a monthly pension check from Central
States.
The average age at retirement in 2007 was 61 years old.
The average age at death in 2007 was 78 years old.
Over 2,700 retirees are age 90 years or older, with
41 retirees 100 years old or older.
The average number of months a retiree receives a
pension check is 219 months or over 18 years.

States.

There you go! Somebody with some facts. Thanks Kenco. I love it when this board serves us well, like this and KK's great work in San Antonio.

States.

Not to be a pecimist, but, Do they also give the numbers of the people who did not ever receive a dime & paid into their pension? I know some drivers who were not married & died before recieving their first check. & Some drivers who paid in the fund & didn't stay long enough to collect. For instance; My stepmother paid into her pension fund (Central States) 18 years & never could collect 1 cent. I thank you for the numbers, but if these numbers were given by the pension fund, their going to be stacked in their favor. My point being, How much money is actually kept by the pension fund? & Where does all this nondistibuted money go?

States.

I can believe all but that the average age at death of a member of an nmfa company in 2007 was 78. I think that is average life expectancy for all people not us in particular. If researched, i think ours would be lower, and that changes the number of checks collected on average.