Yellow | Should there be a 30 and out?

karma...

You, my friend are 100% correct. Enough is enough, greed comes into play when you are up there in age...We have men like that here in CNC, over 70 yrs old collecting SSI, full pension and a check.. all while junior men needing work are sitting home..

There are men that could retire...but instead they will bid on the upcoming COO!!!
Screw the young or middle aged men (some with families). That's just wrong! It's like a guy who whines about working weekends til he gets a Mon.-Fri. bid, then he works OT every weekend he can...A lot of bad karma at yellow.

Senority over solidarity.

MeCircle.gif

You can think it, but don't you dare speak it!
And if you speak it you might as well at least spell it correctly...it's S-E-N-I-O-R-I-T-Y......
And isn't it being pretty much all about YOU to blast senior men who you see as being in YOUR way? Who's the real MEster here? Stick around youngster, you'll earn it in time.

P.S....One of the things I was taught at an early age was to respect my elders. That lesson would come in handy with today's younger generation.

And if you speak it you might as well at least spell it correctly...it's S-E-N-I-O-R-I-T-Y......
And isn't it being pretty much all about YOU to blast senior men who you see as being in YOUR way? Who's the real MEster here? Stick around youngster, you'll earn it in time.

P.S....One of the things I was taught at an early age was to respect my elders. That lesson would come in handy with today's younger generation.

Hey STL respect is earned remember that!!!

While I agree that these guys should retire I don't think it should ever be mandatory. That's not freedom. I personally think it's pitiful that these guys can't get along with their wives or have no friends or hobbies to keep them busy and happy in their old age. As far as respect being earned, I didn't say you or anybody had to like them or agree with their decision to hang on way too long, but they should still be respected. Age will creep up on you guys a lot faster than you think....are you sure you'll be ready to retire then?

With all due respect...

With all due respect stldude. What say you?
One hundred and fifty years (age plus seniority) mandatory out? Would you vote yes or no? And should this man, or any other... who could retire, bid on the COO?

B2,
I'll just act like I didn't see the 1st question.

Yes, any active employee is and should be eligible to participate in this or any future COO, just as they have in the past. It's called seniority and not juniority for a reason.....they've earned it.

With all due respect...

While I agree that these guys should retire I don't think it should ever be mandatory. That's not freedom. I personally think it's pitiful that these guys can't get along with their wives or have no friends or hobbies to keep them busy and happy in their old age. As far as respect being earned, I didn't say you or anybody had to like them or agree with their decision to hang on way too long, but they should still be respected. Age will creep up on you guys a lot faster than you think....are you sure you'll be ready to retire then?

Personally, I don't think anyone who could retire now, should bid on the COO. Anyone who does, is just selfish and or greedy! I'm not just saying this for my own interests...I get five weeks vacation a year. I just don't think it's right!

By the way, I have senority and I will be gone when my date comes due. It just sucks that I have to be a certain age to go and see that men older than I won't go because like stldude44 said "they hate their wives and have no friends or hobbies". That is the truth and the other thing is that they think that the big Yellow machine can't go on without them.

Personally, I don't think anyone who could retire now, should bid on the COO. Anyone who does, is just selfish and or greedy! I'm not just saying this for my own interests...I get five weeks vacation a year. I just don't think it's right!
Seniority must be respected at all times Brother. Rules are rules. If this one was to be changed to suit junior men, what would come next? Maybe a guy who lives farther away from the terminal should get the longer run to help offset his gas expense? Things are set up by seniority for a reason.

They or their spouse or even a child maybe going thru or have gone thru some serious illness. I know a couple guys that won't go until their spouses hit the 5 year survival mark after cancer treatments. Another guy I know has an adult child that is sick (3rd occurrence) and the kid lost his job and insurance because of it. He continues to work because his kid can't. He's paying a mortgage at 62 until his kid can support himself again.
I'd do the same for my kid and his family in a heartbeat.

Just my opinion but I don't think it's anybody else's business why one chooses to continue working. I see both sides of the fence but it's still ones own private decision.

Loon and Mustache,
Both very good examples. Don't judge someone until you walk a mile in their shoes. We have no idea, in most cases, why somebody chooses to stay. What we all better hope for is that we aren't put in a bad situation through no fault of our own and have to continue past when we want to retire.

Thongs...

Seniority must be respected at all times Brother. Rules are rules. If this one was to be changed to suit junior men, what would come next? Maybe a guy who lives farther away from the terminal should get the longer run to help offset his gas expense? Things are set up by seniority for a reason.

I agree, seniority must be respected. I just think it is immoral! But who am I to judge? I'm hoping I can transfer to Rio de Janeiro when I'm 56...

Okay...Lets get the 80 lb gorilla in the room out in the open...
In the 7 years with Yellow and before that CF (14 plus years) and over 27 years driving,...I notice, That if a change or some new rule etc.comes down the pike..If its good for the Senior people...then its stated its for the "Brotherhood"...but, if it isn't for the benefit of the Senior men...but, good for the Junior Men...then its every man for himself!!!

Each generation of Teamsters used to...or should make improvements for not only themselves but the Union members to come. The Newer generations!! I'm So tired of hearing Older drivers saying this or that about the newer generation!

Somewhere in the last 10 to 15 years most (NO Not All!!) Senior men forgot that principle.
And they have tried to amass everything around themselves and hoard it!

The generations before that kept to the principle...For that and many other accomplishments they are and still deserve the title of The Greatest Generation!!! I know this will not please many of you. But lets call it as it really is. And quit trying to sprinkle stare dust up everyones rears!

55 years old, 30 years service you get a pension but you pay for insurance.
You can start collecting SS at 62 but if you were born after 1954, it's at a 25% reduction because your not older than 66.
Off the SS website:
If you start your benefits early, they will be permanently reduced based on the number of months you receive benefits before you reach your full retirement age. If your
  • full retirement age is 66, the reduction of your benefits at age 62 is 25 percent; at age 63, it is about 20 percent; at age 64, it is about 13.3 percent; and at age 65, it is about 6.7 percent.
  • full retirement age is older than 66 (that is, you were born after 1954), you can still start your retirement benefits at 62 but the reduction in your benefit amount will be greater, up to a maximum of 30 percent at age 62 for people born in 1960 and later.
Theres a lot to consider when giving up your insurance, seniority and your vacation pay.

PS, I've worked at every barn Holland has in L705. Not one person I know, and I know many personally, like dragging 55-67 year old trucker bones to work to get the crap beaten out of them all day. They remain for reasons important to them and their finacial security.

Just think??? If every junior brother and sister looked up to and respected seniority and every senior brother and sister helped the junior brother and sisters understand that some day they will benifit from it we would have a strong union. You deserve what your seniority gives you.

Forced retirement ???? Great idea,maybe the companies could then force out anyone that makes 100% payrate. Look at all the money the companies could pass on to the shareholders.
This post should have come out on April fool's day.:hysterical::nutkick:

This is still a union shop, isn't it? Mandatory retirement is denial of a DOT physical card.

There are men that could retire...but instead they will bid on the upcoming COO!!!
Screw the young or middle aged men (some with families). That's just wrong! It's like a guy who whines about working weekends til he gets a Mon.-Fri. bid, then he works OT every weekend he can...A lot of bad karma at yellow.

Then there's a guy with 2 kids under a year old and both health problems that is unable to get 2 days a week in for half a year. Then that same guy you speak about comes along with all his ot and says to his brother teamster.... How's it feel to get @#@#? Smiling from ear to ear rubbing it in..... True story and happens on a daily basis. Respect that sceamster NEVER!