Shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of friends working for free today. It sickens me. They said they MIGHT get something tomorrow.

looking back at this thread, it seems to me that the company has strung the employees along like this since payroll stopped on Christmas. how did that work out for the NJ guys? thanks for the free work, now go collect a PORTION of what you are owed from the state.

looking back at this thread, it seems to me that the company has strung the employees along like this since payroll stopped on Christmas. how did that work out for the NJ guys? thanks for the free work, now go collect a PORTION of what you are owed from the state.
Not only a quarter were gonna get back but have to wait an additional 2-3 weeks to here back from unemployment

I have a lot of friends working for free today. It sickens me. They said they MIGHT get something tomorrow.
Get something tomorrow? Why are they still working. Wait until tomorrow, uf any money, maybe consider working. Dont let Spencer hold anybody hostage. Should b other way around. He has no incentive to pay people if they will work for free. Face it, going to have to file for unemployment, people who are still working are just delaying the process of getting money one way or another.and it's not coming from Land air.

Anyone who is working and doesn't get paid for it, please don't come on here and complain later. Wow, working on the hope of money tomorrow. We are all affected by this, and it sucks. But from all these posts and I'm sure past situations, why punish yourself. Plenty of driving jobs up here.

Not only a quarter were gonna get back but have to wait an additional 2-3 weeks to here back from unemployment
And they could have filed 2 weeks earlier if LAX didn't lie to them and string them along telling them they would get paid and that things will work out !

Get something tomorrow? Why are they still working. Wait until tomorrow, uf any money, maybe consider working. Dont let Spencer hold anybody hostage. Should b other way around. He has no incentive to pay people if they will work for free. Face it, going to have to file for unemployment, people who are still working are just delaying the process of getting money one way or another.and it's not coming from Land air.
Unfortunately it's happening.

everyone will get paid.. geez give the man some time to get his ducks in order!!have patients a little while longer already!
I have read all the posts on this thread and am just disgusted by the way some of you have been cheering on the demise of a great company. if anything, those of you who did work for lax, you may have left this company for some sort of personal grievance that may or may not have any validity...yet you still had the opportunity to leave with more knowledge in the industry than when you arrived so at least feel good about that! , instead how do you behave? you look in the rearview mirror and complain about how you were wronged!! wa!! wa!! wa !! cry us a river!! you all should be ashamed of yourselves! grow up!! and to the one's bashing eric foster.. if you really knew him ( which you don't) you would know he busted his ass to get us to compliance but was squelched out on a few prevalent recommendations to make us truly more compliant but it would not of come without its sacrifice to the bottom line, but surely would of put us on a more strengthened path in the long run. with that said it would not suprise me if eric becomes the top safety director for the whole company, lastly , I pray for the spencer's and all the decent,hard working, dedicated people that are giving it their all for the sake of the survival of this company, and if it does not succeed at least there was a good fight trying to raise it back up!! there is no shame in fighting the good fight for something you believe in and that it why I think it will become bigger and better if given an honest chance by their customer base, because I know no other ltl carrier can haul freight and deliver it intact ,undamaged and on time better than land air..
mayb bill spencer could win the powerball and bail us all out..

always hopeful...u sound absolutely convinces no NE/NY terminals to be shut down...how can u convince me this is a fact

I gave it my all and got lied to time and time again...cheated out of my pay....need I say more.

how long . 2 weeks NO PAY last time worked 12 / 28 / 2015 NOT PAID now that's .B.S LIES LIES NO CALLS WHATS GOING ON . . ?
always hopeful...u sound absolutely convinces no NE/NY terminals to be shut down...how can u convince me this is a fact

call your tm
he probably hasn't shut down NY terminals yet because of NY's state Warn act, owing workers 90 days pay, instead of the federal 60.....
Anyone who is working and doesn't get paid for it, please don't come on here and complain later. Wow, working on the hope of money tomorrow. We are all affected by this, and it sucks. But from all these posts and I'm sure past situations, why punish yourself. Plenty of driving jobs up here.
Frist it was pay will be in last Friday 1/8/16 then if u wanted 2 get paid call unemployment for your pay then it was back pay will in thur 1/14/16 . NOW ITS WED 1/13/16 LIES LIES LIES NOTHING BUT B. S

Syracuse Land Air Express is running using their box trucks saw they today out there. I wish the employees well and hope for a better outcome for them .

The Wall Street Journal

Trucker Land Air Express of New England Seeks Emergency FinancingCarrier resumes operations but shuts two terminals, lays off workers as shippers switch to competitors following regulatory action

By

BRIAN BASKIN

Jan. 11, 2016 1:10 p.m. ET

1 COMMENTS

Trucking company Land Air Express of New England has scaled back operations and is seeking emergency financing in its first days back in business after federal regulators shut the firm down over safety violations.

Land Air was ordered off the road in late December by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration for failing to properly test its drivers for drug and alcohol use, among other violations. At the time, the Williston, Vt.-based company operated about 330 trucks across the Northeast, making it one of the largest trucking companies ever shut down by the agency.

The FMCSA said Thursday that Land Air could resume operations on a “conditional” basis. However, many customers switched their business over to rivals in recent weeks, and the company needs financing after operating for two weeks with no revenue, said Bill Spencer, Land Air’s president. The company’s trucks returned to service on Monday, he said.

‘I’m out there beating for private equity, trying to save my employees’ jobs and my job.’

—Land Air Express of New England President Bill Spencer

Land Air specializes in less-than-truckload service, in which trucks carry goods for multiple customers on routes. SJ Consulting Group, a transportation research firm, estimates the privately-held company was the 44th largest carrier in the U.S. and Canada in 2014, with $83 million in revenue in LTL operations.

Land Air has shut two of its 14 terminals, in Burlington, N.J. and Carlstadt, N.J., and laid off some employees. Several employees told The Wall Street Journal last week that although they hoped to still have jobs with the company, they hadn’t been paid since before Christmas and they were told to apply for unemployment benefits.

“We will be starting much smaller,” Mr. Spencer said. He said closing the terminals was “a necessary move for us to get back into a position of strength.”

He said Land Air would “find out today” how many shippers were willing to work with them.

The company faces big hurdles in regaining the confidence of both customers and employees, said Satish Jindel, president of SJ Consulting.

Land Air faces tough competition from regional competitors even under the best circumstances, and those rivals probably have sought to poach customers since the trucking regulatory arm of the U.S. Department of Transportation shut down the company, Mr. Jindel said. Winning back shippers will be a long and costly process, and initially will likely require heavy discounts on moving freight, he said.

“That is just not sustainable financially, Mr. Jindel said.

Mr. Spencer said he is meeting with private-equity firms to line up financing to see the company through. He said he would be open to selling the company, though he added that he isn’t actively looking for a buyer.

“I’m out there beating for private equity, trying to save my employees’ jobs and my job,” Mr. Spencer said.

The FMCSA shut down Land Air on Dec. 29 after the company failed to address issues raised in a late-October inspection. In addition to the drug and alcohol testing, Land Air was cited for allowing an employee to drive a truck without the proper licensing, and for employing a driver who had tested positive for a controlled substance, and other violations.

Land Air now faces a “heightened, stricter, specified set of safety requirements” and close monitoring, the agency said.

The company faces big hurdles in regaining the confidence of both customers and employees, said Satish Jindel, president of SJ Consulting.
Land Air faces tough competition from regional competitors even under the best circumstances, and those rivals probably have sought to poach customers since the trucking regulatory arm of the U.S. Department of Transportation shut down the company, Mr. Jindel said. Winning back shippers will be a long and costly process, and initially will likely require heavy discounts on moving freight, he said.
“That is just not sustainable financially, Mr. Jindel said.

GREAT... ANOTHER THEORIST!!! bet he never worked a day in his life!!

I can't believe they have guys working for free. The company I used to work for had it's assets frozen by the bank and was asking employees to come in and work while they got their stuff sorted out. Very few did because they hadn't been paid for the previous two weeks. (The only ones that did come in were the ones whose noses were permanently stained brown.)

When the company finally shut down for good, the A-hole that owned the company blamed the employees for the shutdown because they wouldn't come in and work and they couldn't service the freight.

This whole "let them get their ducks in a row" is a crock of :::shit::: and anyone with any kind of self respect wouldn't be working for free. If they had their ducks in a row, they wouldn't have been shut down to begin with.

Last edited:
time will tell for the devoted employee's that are still working.. time has already revealed who was not really devoted based on the way they have handled this situation. with name calling and speculation.

time will tell for the devoted employee's that are still working.. time has already revealed who was not really devoted based on the way they have handled this situation. with name calling and speculation.
Don't think that's totally fair to say. Sure there are alot of devoted employees who gave company their all to company, and unfortunately are out of work. Also just because someone who is not working without pay, that doesn't ms u then unloyal. Come on, have to be fair. Can't blame people for not working, find it more odd people (really one person) being so extremely pro Land Air. I'm all for seeing company regain operations. People are bothered by simple fact of money, or lack there of. Whether or not people are working, can't call that devoted. Just as easy to say the working are desperate . We will see in due time about workers

Stick a fork in them, it's over ! They lied to all the guys in Jersey just to get them to work for free and then told them to get there money from unemployment and anybody that is backing the company after what they did to all these people is either management or people that can't get jobs elsewhere ! It's that simple ! When all the law suits hit and the investigations keep going on ? Done ! Maybe Bill should have picked better management to run there terminals ?

Stick a fork in them, it's over ! They lied to all the guys in Jersey just to get them to work for free and then told them to get there money from unemployment and anybody that is backing the company after what they did to all these people is either management or people that can't get jobs elsewhere ! It's that simple ! When all the law suits hit and the investigations keep going on ? Done ! Maybe Bill should have picked better management to run there terminals ?
And what happened to Mellisa ? She stated that the payroll has all been worked out and everybody was going to be paid ? I wonder who put her up to those bogus statements ?

Status
Not open for further replies.