ODFL | Sleep Apnea information

bigbird42368

TB Veteran
Credits
This is the official letter that OD sent out. Daylightdean and I felt everyone with this sleeping problem needed this info. Please see my notes at end of letter.

Occupational Sleep Apnea (OSA)
The following guidelines should be followed regarding any Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. (“Old Dominion”) employee classified as either a full time or part- time P&D or Line haul driver (each, a “Driver”). While these procedures are subject to change within the FMCSA regulatory environment, the below are Standard Operating Procedures.
Old Dominion has partnered with FusionSleep as an Obstructive Sleep Apnea (“OSA”) diagnosis and treatment provider. Upon recommendation of a sleep study for a Driver, Old Dominion’s Safety Department will contact the service center manager and ask the service center manager to advise the Driver that he or she will be contacted by Fusion Sleep to arrange for a sleep study and diagnosis.
If FusionSleep recommends a sleep study following receipt of a Driver’s DOT Medical Certification, such Driver shall not operate as an Old Dominion Driver until a diagnosis is confirmed by a certified medical examiner. In most cases the Driver will be issued a 3-month medical certification pending a diagnosis.
A negative diagnosis for a sleep disorder should be forwarded to the medical examiner and the Driver will then typically be issued a 1 or 2 year medical certification.
A positive diagnosis of a sleep disorder will require the Driver to enter treatment. The most common sleep disorder is OSA, which is treated with Positive Airway Pressure (“PAP”). This treatment can begin immediately with a 3-day acclimation period monitored by FusionSleep. Following the 3rd day of successful treatment, results will be forwarded by FusionSleep to both the Old Dominion Safety Department and the applicable service center manager. Upon the approval of both the Old Dominion Safety Department and the applicable service center manager, the Driver will typically be allowed to return to driving duties for Old Dominion.
Positive acclimation to treatment will be forwarded to the Driver for medical re-certification. At this time the Driver should be issued a DOT Medical Certification for no more than 1 year.
OSA treatment is continuous unless there is a change in diagnosis. Periodic sleep studies (generally every three years) are recommended unless there is a change in the Driver’s physical condition, such as surgery or weight loss.
OSA diagnosis and treatment is provided through the OD Wellness Benefits program and will be at “no cost” to the Driver. FusionSleep will also provide all equipment necessary to the Driver and perform sleep performance monitoring. Results will be provided to the driver and the medical examiner as needed.
Drivers that are presently in OSA treatment with any other provider may remain and are responsible to provide any medical “release of information’ documents to FusionSleep for periodic monitoring and usage compliance. FusionSleep cannot, by law, contact the other provider to request this information. For this reason and to control equipment and monitoring costs, it is recommended that all participants seek OSA diagnosis and treatment through FusionSleep.
Any Driver that does not complete the monitoring controls and meet or exceed the FusionSleep threshold for 70% compliance for any 7-day period will not be considered medically qualified and, therefore, will not be permitted to drive. If non-compliance persists for an extended amount of time the Driver can be determined to not meet the requirements of the job description of either a P&D or line haul driver.
When a DOT Medical Certification is returned to the applicable service center manager, the service center manager must forward a copy to Old Dominion’s Safety Department. It is imperative that any DOT Medical Certification with a sleep study recommendation be expedited.

NOTE: OD works directly with Fusion they do not go through the insurance company. They will set you up within Fusions network, Give you a new sleep study (if needed, sometimes even in your own home) a new cpap or bypap machine, send new supplies every 3 or 6 months to your home and even send the proper paperwork to your doctor before you have to get your DOT physical and it cost you nothing out of pocket.I use to pay 20% of all supplies and on the machine ($320.00) at my old company, this saves me a lot of money and is so convenient If you want to switch your current provider to Fusion or need to have a sleep study done for the first time send me a PM for the contact info

BigBird this is a great program.I was one of the first back in Dec. to start with fusion.Love it..I hate big brother.But, it's coming to that.I've been on the hose since 2011.I have alway's been 100% compliant.So I'm not worry'd about anyone seeing my result's.I have nothing to hide.I feel 100% better.I was current on my sleep study so all I did was go pick my equipment&supplies up at the motel the day the guy was in GBO.All top of the line Resmed Product's&no-cost to me.I was paying out of pocket about $30 every 6 month's for a new mask.Now I don't pay a dime.They send what I need when I need it straight to my door step.One of the Benefit's with OD.They are also covering the Full-Time Dock Guy's too now.

i have heard that people that are on it really like and seem to get more sleep. i actually did this out of my own pocket because i have insomnia but dosnt have anything to do with Sleep Apnea i just cant shut down. i do take medication and dont really like to but this crap runs in my family. i wish i could go to sleep with out anything. if i dont take anything then i just dont really sleep. hopefully one day i will be able to.

i have heard that people that are on it really like and seem to get more sleep. i actually did this out of my own pocket because i have insomnia but dosnt have anything to do with Sleep Apnea i just cant shut down. i do take medication and dont really like to but this crap runs in my family. i wish i could go to sleep with out anything. if i dont take anything then i just dont really sleep. hopefully one day i will be able to.

Have you tried extra strength melatonin? I was having trouble sleeping due to stress and I started taking a 10 mcg (or mg dunno which) dose of melatonin every night before bed and it helped me immensely. I took it for a while and then backed off it and am not taking anything. I'll probably start on it again since I'm probably going to be running a lot of zombie hours, at least to get some time to get acclimated to the schedule (or lack thereof). Best of luck to ya, what do you take? My wife is on ambien.

well i took 3 dosnt do anything i just toss and turn. i have tried all the over the counter stuff trust. lunsta 3 mg and on a bad day i take 2. still only sleep about 5 hours. the ambient dosnt do anything for me and i have tried the strongest one they have.

Your body is prewired to sleep at night. those of us who are defying that will usually have problems sleeping from time to time. I personally have made the decision that should I be forced against my will to be on some machine to work for anyone then I will move on...I DO NOT like big brother and he will not be in my bedroom...

As far as I know, I am the first driver out of my terminal to have to go through the testing, and receive the APAP machine. There was a lot of talk, but everything went smooth. I was in for my medical recertification when they had me setup for a sleep test. Fusion health are a great company to work with. They will take care of all supplies, paperwork, everything. No money out of pocket. One thing, they are sending screening teams to the different terminals, it is voluntary to sign up, but I have told the guys at my terminal to get it over and done. Only bad thing, I had to burn a week of vacation, I was taken off the truck, per company policy.

By the way, I sleep much better and wake up refreshed. It does wonders for the attitude also. You're not fighting the weariness.

As far as I know, I am the first driver out of my terminal to have to go through the testing, and receive the APAP machine. There was a lot of talk, but everything went smooth. I was in for my medical recertification when they had me setup for a sleep test. Fusion health are a great company to work with. They will take care of all supplies, paperwork, everything. No money out of pocket. One thing, they are sending screening teams to the different terminals, it is voluntary to sign up, but I have told the guys at my terminal to get it over and done. Only bad thing, I had to burn a week of vacation, I was taken off the truck, per company policy.

not voluntary at my terminal, everybody had to take the pre-screen.

on another note, do they check for 70% compliance every week? i've been on it thru my own dr for a little over a year, they just ask for 70% since my last download.

Same..4 hours a day..5day's a week...But,if you are hanging at 70 you are pushing to get sidelined.I keep mine 100% compliant.So that way if I have a bad night or so.It doesn't hurt my result's.Plus,I feel better&I'm adict'd to the hose.Good sniffing.lol
not voluntary at my terminal, everybody had to take the pre-screen.

on another note, do they check for 70% compliance every week? i've been on it thru my own dr for a little over a year, they just ask for 70% since my last download.

Nope,Resmed Autoset S9

Got mine from the VA around 8 years ago.Been off it several years but since they gave me a new nasal mask and filters this week I'm going to try it again.Can't find the manual,checked online and found enough to get started.

I started using the cpap about two years ago. I feel way better now. If you snore loud, don't have dreams or have leg cramp while sleeping. Go get tested even if you are not a driver. It may be the best thing that ever happened to you. You need rem sleep. And if you have sleep apnea you aint gettin it without a mask. For the rest of you that can't sleep. Two OTC Benadryl and you will sleep. Hope that helps.