ABF | Something to go after next contact

Remember, trucking is a service industry. And that means service the customer not service the driver. I know sometimes it stinks, but that's the nature of the job and what we signed up for.
A lot can be said both for or against Sam Walton. He told employees many years before his death that they don't work for Walmart, they work for the customer. The customer has the ability to hire more employees or fire those already on the payroll. The freight industry is no different. If customers desire to shop at nights or weekends an employee must be there to serve them.
I remember hearing new employees complaining about working shift work. I told them the freight industry is much like running a dairy, it requires somebody to be be on duty seven days a week. Cows must be milked & fed every day & trucks also run every day. If it cramps your lifestyle then you should pursue a different career,
And on a different subject, if you can't live a live where you can pass a drug test then you have no business driving a commercial vehicle. If you can't live up to the standards there are other careers with lower standards.

Next time your out working on a holiday, see how many other freight Companies are working, besides YRC
Boo Hoo, if you can't accept the conditions where you're at find something more to your liking. Lots of people work holidays - cops, firemen, nurses, pilots, railroad engineers, etc., etc. Put on your big boy pants (if you own any that is) and grow up. Maybe you should have been a librarian instead of a trucker.

PS - I've been out on the road on numerous holidays and I've seen lots of others working.

Boo Hoo, if you can't accept the conditions where you're at find something more to your liking. Lots of people work holidays - cops, firemen, nurses, pilots, railroad engineers, etc., etc. Put on your big boy pants (if you own any that is) and grow up. Maybe you should have been a librarian instead of a trucker.

PS - I've been out on the road on numerous holidays and I've seen lots of others working.
Are you sure you were not in customer relations/human resources Tri? It sounds like you would be perfect for the job.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

None all non union LTL companies are closed holidays most union companies are off on holidays. I've been a driver for 20 years and have never been forced to work a holiday until ABF.
When I was a road driver, if you were available you worked the holiday. The only time you were guaranteed off was if you took off. I also noticed as I was running down the road that ABF was always the only one running, I could never understand that.

When I was a road driver, if you were available you worked the holiday. The only time you were guaranteed off was if you took off. I also noticed as I was running down the road that ABF was always the only one running, I could never understand that.
I don't understand why they make road drivers work holidays...at my terminal we will leave a trailer at the dock that can fit one more pallet on it and send the road driver out with an empty...all about numbers...they don't worry about the customer there.... Very selective...

I don't understand why they make road drivers work holidays...at my terminal we will leave a trailer at the dock that can fit one more pallet on it and send the road driver out with an empty...all about numbers...they don't worry about the customer there.... Very selective...
Way back on a couple of occasions I got three holiday pays for the same holiday...
1) One for shaping/showing up (but walking) on my seniority job
2) Actually working the holiday on a casual P&D job
3) Actually working the same holiday as a road casual later that same day

None all non union LTL companies are closed holidays most union companies are off on holidays. I've been a driver for 20 years and have never been forced to work a holiday until ABF.
I have been a driver at ABF for 20+ years and I have never been forced to work a holiday. I have been scheduled to work many/most holidays but never forced too. And I have never been disciplined for not working a holiday. But I have been pressured to work them. In fact, it seems to be SOP at ATL-086 to pressure road drivers to work the holidays. The 2 exceptions are Thanksgiving and Christmas. And those of us with a little greed in our minds and larceny in our hearts like taking money from ABF.

I have been a driver at ABF for 20+ years and I have never been forced to work a holiday. I have been scheduled to work many/most holidays but never forced too. And I have never been disciplined for not working a holiday. But I have been pressured to work them. In fact, it seems to be SOP at ATL-086 to pressure road drivers to work the holidays. The 2 exceptions are Thanksgiving and Christmas. And those of us with a little greed in our minds and larceny in our hearts like taking money from ABF.
We were never forced to work, but some would run Christmas day.
In my 35 yrs, I never worked one Christmas and only one Thanksgiving.