Starting at XPO next week. Any tips?

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by DanielHK, Aug 10, 2017.

1. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

Amen brother very well put.

icuicp likes this.
  2. LTLIndentured

LTLIndentured Well-Known Member

Go work for FedEx or ups. Better pay and bennies which is the reason we work after all

3. DanielHK

DanielHK New Member

Only have 8 months of experience and no LTL.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm starting on Monday so if I have any more questions, I'll try to ask in this thread. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

highspeeds and sucker666 like this.
  4. sucker666

Good luck and stay safe. I wish it could have been all positive responses for you but they were honest . Hopefully things will improve in the future for you young guys. In the meantime it will be great experience. Oh yeah Have respect for what you do never settle for less.

5. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

Best advice to you is suffer though a year, get that years worth of LTL experience and then take it somewhere else. You won't be losing a lot of seniority if you quit in a year and you'll be gaining a lot by going somewhere else.

6. vetran peddleman

vetran peddleman FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

If you actually get through all the drama that's been mentioned in this thread and decide to gut it out and stick around... I would highly suggest that you max out your 401k as much as possible. Why? cause us old timers had our pensions frozen in 2006, and new guys now get nothing by way of a pension. This company will not go union so forget about a big teamster pension at the end of your driving years. Soooooooooo...dump sacrificially as much as you can into that 401k every week. We just had a guy here that retired Aug. 3rd w/ $1.1 million in his 401k after 23 years. It may not be a gigantic nest egg for the guy, but it sure beats my tally right now. That's why he's all done at 65 and I'm still trucking in my upper 60's. Good luck to you and think about your distant future (which will come quicker than you realize), your wife, and your little ones.. :1036316054:

Fly-by-night, icuicp and vppforme like this.
  7. vppforme

vppforme Member

I wish, I wish, someone had beat me over the head with this message when I got started. I still have many years to go but could have been in a much better place already if I had been open to this advice.

trucknfool and sucker666 like this.
  8. sportsman800

sportsman800 Active Member

If you dont drink start!!!!

sucker666 likes this.
  9. sucker666

Do not be toohard on yourself a lot of us thought we would have a pension to rely on also.

10. sucker666

Now that's funny

sportsman800 likes this.
  11. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

That good advice. Now here another. Stay out of debt and what I mean is stupid debt like credit cards and car loans. Then you won't be one of those drivers that need 60hrs a week to pay his bills.
    I laugh at the guys with those 400 and 500 a month auto loans for 6 and 7yrs.
    Google Dave Ramsey and watch his videos then it might make sense

12. vppforme

vppforme Member

7 easy steps to financial freedom. If you're someone who was never very good with spending/saving money wisely, Dave Ramsey's is a great program to get you back in the right direction.

upnorth and Fly-by-night like this.
  13. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

Listen to him every day. I'm not a religious guy at all, but his advise is rock solid.

DSR86 and Fly-by-night like this.
  14. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

He did it. Went from living high on the hog with lots of debt to filing bankruptcy. To now living high on the hog with no debt. That's a person you listen to.

upnorth likes this.
  15. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Just get through this winter. Man, the doors will open for you next spring. It's a sacrifice. But a worth while endeavor. Just fight your way through this. 8 months of this. Keep your mind on the end result. Don't get clouded by whatever is in your way today.

LTLIndentured likes this.
  16. PistonRing83

PistonRing83 Well-Known Member

Get whatever experience you need and go elsewhere ASAP. I stayed around there for over 6 years, like an idiot. Their insurance is an absolute joke, and you'll be on a forklift for at least half the time you're at work, if not more. On linehaul you'll never know what time you're starting or where you're going that night. Then they will cut runs and change the lineup at the last minute and you'll get screwed. Either that, or you'll sit in the drivers room for 2-3 hours waiting for your loads to be done. You won't get paid for waiting, either.

It use to be a great job and was worth putting up with their bullcrap to gain seniority, but those days are long over.

17. sucker666

Waiting around for 2 or 3 hours on your own time is called flexibility

18. ole man

ole man Active Member

Yes, to the company. Flexibility! We hear the same crap! The three Con-ways, CCX, CSE and CWX wanted to be premier carriers. In my opinion they achieved that goal. Con-way Inc. pissed most of that away and XPO has pissed away anything left plus any future gains. Go somewhere else.

19. sucker666

Tell us how you really feel.

ole man likes this.
  20. sucker666

It's sad I can remember how positive these forums were towards the company back in the day. Outsiders use to think we were in a cult we were so loyal. I feel bad not being able to give this young fella something positive towards working here. I hope for his sake and other young prospects and for the company itself that it takes head to these post and changes it current course. Good companies are built on the backs of dedicated loyal employees .I think a good part of upper management knows this but their so busy chasing that 80 % o/r that their not seeing the big picture.