Yellow | Stock going into the 4 dollar range

You can’t fix stupid. Roadway management had forgot more than Yellow will ever know.
Forgot more about what? Certainly not running a truck line! I beg to differ with you, SD. Yellow made a lot of mistakes, but their operating methods put Roadway to shame. Their computer system actually worked really well. Their Exact Express was running 99.5% on time, sometimes better than that. The customer base trusted them because they were trustworthy. Now mind you, their corporate officers made some horrible blunders. Buying Roadway for the price they paid was the first really big one. Buying the USF regionals was just plain stupid; they paid almost three times what they should have. They mortgaged the farm to buy both of them. That was incredibly stupid! But now we have a hillbilly Roadway mainframe computer that the software is over 35 years old, several different computer programs that don't communicate with each other very well, a shipping base that no longer trusts the company, premium services that have a terrible on-time record; I could go on and on. The stock price is in the sewer. Do the math: when it hit $5.11, the price adjusted to compare to "pre" reverse splits amounts to $0.00068133. That equals 14.67 shares for a penny!! To make matters worse, that is all "blue sky". What are the assets worth, then subtract the liabilities? A huge negative (that's known as a "shareholder deficit")! The only thing that's left is "goodwill" and "going concern". Our goodwill has gone south like the geese, and our concern is barely going. Thank God my pension is intact (I'm not Central States).

Forgot more about what? Certainly not running a truck line! I beg to differ with you, SD. Yellow made a lot of mistakes, but their operating methods put Roadway to shame. Their computer system actually worked really well. Their Exact Express was running 99.5% on time, sometimes better than that. The customer base trusted them because they were trustworthy. Now mind you, their corporate officers made some horrible blunders. Buying Roadway for the price they paid was the first really big one. Buying the USF regionals was just plain stupid; they paid almost three times what they should have. They mortgaged the farm to buy both of them. That was incredibly stupid! But now we have a hillbilly Roadway mainframe computer that the software is over 35 years old, several different computer programs that don't communicate with each other very well, a shipping base that no longer trusts the company, premium services that have a terrible on-time record; I could go on and on. The stock price is in the sewer. Do the math: when it hit $5.11, the price adjusted to compare to "pre" reverse splits amounts to $0.00068133. That equals 14.67 shares for a penny!! To make matters worse, that is all "blue sky". What are the assets worth, then subtract the liabilities? A huge negative (that's known as a "shareholder deficit")! The only thing that's left is "goodwill" and "going concern". Our goodwill has gone south like the geese, and our concern is barely going. Thank God my pension is intact (I'm not Central States).
Their computer system actually worked really well. You did know that Yellow's Windows base computer system cost $1 million dollars a year in licensing fees. The Roadway DOS based computer system was PAID FOR.
"Yellow made a lot of mistakes, but their operating methods put Roadway to shame.
https://www.truckinginfo.com/95581/roadway-express-named-best-ltl-carrier
"Roadway has been the recipient of the LTL Carrier of the Year Award for 15 consecutive years. The Carrier of the Year program is co-sponsored by NASSTRAC and Logistics Management, a trade magazine for buyers of logistics services." Where was Yellow during those 15 years?????
Shares of Akron, Ohio-based Roadway jumped 54%, or $16.08, to $46.10 in Nasdaq trading and led a broad rally in trucking stocks. Shares of Overland Park, Kan.-based Yellow fell 5%, or $1.24, to $23.25, also on Nasdaq."
http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jul/09/business/fi-yellow9
When new shares were issued in the newly formed YRC Corporation. Holders of Yellow Corporation stock received a new share of YRC Corporation. Holders of Roadway Corporation received a new share of YRC Corporation and a $35.00 dividend.
Yellow Corporation would have joined PIE, C-F, TransCon and countless other LTL carriers on the dust pile of history. If they had not purchased asset rich Roadway Corporation. Those are the FACTS.
But keep guzzling the Kool-Aid.

Their computer system actually worked really well. You did know that Yellow's Windows base computer system cost $1 million dollars a year in licensing fees. The Roadway DOS based computer system was PAID FOR.
"Yellow made a lot of mistakes, but their operating methods put Roadway to shame.
https://www.truckinginfo.com/95581/roadway-express-named-best-ltl-carrier
"Roadway has been the recipient of the LTL Carrier of the Year Award for 15 consecutive years. The Carrier of the Year program is co-sponsored by NASSTRAC and Logistics Management, a trade magazine for buyers of logistics services." Where was Yellow during those 15 years?????
Shares of Akron, Ohio-based Roadway jumped 54%, or $16.08, to $46.10 in Nasdaq trading and led a broad rally in trucking stocks. Shares of Overland Park, Kan.-based Yellow fell 5%, or $1.24, to $23.25, also on Nasdaq."
http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jul/09/business/fi-yellow9
When new shares were issued in the newly formed YRC Corporation. Holders of Yellow Corporation stock received a new share of YRC Corporation. Holders of Roadway Corporation received a new share of YRC Corporation and a $35.00 dividend.
Yellow Corporation would have joined PIE, C-F, TransCon and countless other LTL carriers on the dust pile of history. If they had not purchased asset rich Roadway Corporation. Those are the FACTS.
Thank you for writing. There is no denying that Roadway received the NASSTRAC awards. As for the Roadway shares jumping on the day the acquisition was announced, that is NORMAL to have the shares approach the buyout price. Did I mention that Zollars and his board paid WAY too much for Roadway, and WAY too much for the regionals? Hint: YES! As for the DOS system, DOS has been obsolete for many years. It is absolutely primitive by today's IT standards. Yellow's system was not Windows-based; it was UNIX-based. It worked extremely well. If it actually did cost $1 million in licensing fees, that was a bargain compared to the massive costs associated with trying to operate under the DOS system in this day and age. Finally, Yellow Corp.'s woes were brought on by the reckless company-buying at ridiculous prices that Zollars and his board undertook. That fact that he was Yellow's CEO is a badge of embarrassment that we all wear. However, Yellow didn't have a fleet full of rusted-out worn-out junk. They didn't have terminals that were so inadequate for the movement of freight as to be a hazard to life and limb. Roadway was spun off by Caliber Systems, who wanted out of the impending disaster that they saw. Unfortunately for all of us, they saw Zollars coming. We've paid the price of that for many years now. BTW, I haven't guzzled or otherwise drank any Kool-aid in a very long time

Surviving company, Roadway.

Reference the ICC # on the side of each and every truck.

My apologies, this is such old news.

RT, the fact remains.

Indy Local 135 Prez (and ex Roadway driver) Danny B said Roadway and Yellow were both doomed to fail separately.

You need to be a bit more specific. Exactly what kind of sandwich?
I would say the sandwich, especially if you have a coupon bargain from the newspaper! Like $ 1 off, buy one, get a lesser free,
free chips with purchase of....yadda, yadda yadda
I guess if I was like their old spokesman Jarred, (not the sex part of him) I could get rid of my 6PakAbs on the Subway diet?

Thank you for writing. There is no denying that Roadway received the NASSTRAC awards. As for the Roadway shares jumping on the day the acquisition was announced, that is NORMAL to have the shares approach the buyout price. Did I mention that Zollars and his board paid WAY too much for Roadway, and WAY too much for the regionals? Hint: YES! As for the DOS system, DOS has been obsolete for many years. It is absolutely primitive by today's IT standards. Yellow's system was not Windows-based; it was UNIX-based. It worked extremely well. If it actually did cost $1 million in licensing fees, that was a bargain compared to the massive costs associated with trying to operate under the DOS system in this day and age. Finally, Yellow Corp.'s woes were brought on by the reckless company-buying at ridiculous prices that Zollars and his board undertook. That fact that he was Yellow's CEO is a badge of embarrassment that we all wear. However, Yellow didn't have a fleet full of rusted-out worn-out junk. They didn't have terminals that were so inadequate for the movement of freight as to be a hazard to life and limb. Roadway was spun off by Caliber Systems, who wanted out of the impending disaster that they saw. Unfortunately for all of us, they saw Zollars coming. We've paid the price of that for many years now. BTW, I haven't guzzled or otherwise drank any Kool-aid in a very long time
It seems we will agree to disagree on the relative merits of each heritage companies. Merry Christmas!

I did the same thing on the outbound shift. It was called Empowerment. Most were for it, some didn't like it. Imo, it kept Teamsters working. Plus we looked out for each other, and got the job done.
We did the same at Preston on Mondays. It was a group of older men and I was the newbie at 35. We all worked together- no slackers allowed.

Theres an old saying in Baseball: Paying the superstar big bucks wont break a team. Paying a .180 hitter big bucks will break a team. Union pay and benes never hurt a company. Guys who wouldn't load a trailer because someone else hadn't put the dock plate in for him does.....

Yellow, Roadway are no longer. Bottom line is the same truck's & trailer's are are still in use after the merger, that's not a good thing....

Certainly this is the same old argument we have heard. The facts still remain. A lot of stupid decisions have been made over the last 10+years with every CEO being a former Yellow executive calling the shots.

Certainly this is the same old argument we have heard. The facts still remain. A lot of stupid decisions have been made over the last 10+years with every CEO being a former Yellow executive calling the shots.
What has become of YRC Freight is such a shame. There is plenty enough blame to be spread around. But NONE of it rests with men and women who are members of the IBT. They are just spectators to a "train wreck".

Can't wait for another 300-1 rev stock split again , it makes investors really happy .........................

I wonder what people from Saia,Preston, and Jevic think of their operating methods??? Or when they put Zollars in charge in 1999? Just an observation...

What has become of YRC Freight is such a shame. There is plenty enough blame to be spread around. But NONE of it rests with men and women who are members of the IBT. They are just spectators to a "train wreck".
Sorry Albag, I have to disagree. The blame includes some of our Teamster brethren. Folks who deliberately "trash" freight, folks who "milk the clock", folks who vandalize equipment, etc. etc. In my location anyway, most of them who do these things and have been around pre-merger are Roadway legacy. Whether or not that's generally true around the country I don't know. I do agree with you that what has become of this company is a shame. Two once-proud organizations that in different ways made their mark on this industry, now reduced to irrelevance and sucking the fumes of FedEx, XPO, Old Dominion and now even UPS Freight. We should have been the powerhouse of the industry. At my location, it was a Roadway terminal manager who screwed things up in 2009; the Yellow manager retired. That Roadway manager got fired later that year. It was the first time in my entire working life that I saw applause break out when the announcement of someone's departure was made.

Today, you don't see the "Confidence Delivered" logo anymore. Why? We have almost completely lost the confidence of the shipping community. You don't see Yellow's Exact Express. Why? The way the sales leadership tells it, the Exact is gone and they don't want that trademark associated with it.

Many of the top executives of this company have worked at various times for both legacy companies. The present CEO has time at ConWay. The former CEO left the company in 2007 because he didn't like what was happening (his words). He was asked to return in 2011. As for the next tier, the YRC Freight President is from Reddaway. Many of the area VPs are Roadway legacy, and things are worse than ever. Now I've never claimed that Yellow did everything right; far from it. But operationally, they did it better.

What does the future hold? I'm not convinced that we'll even need to ponder that, because I don't foresee much of a future. We can't attract and retain employees, so we can't move more freight. Despite the fact that ALL factors included (pay, benefits and retirement contributions), we make just about as much as everybody except ABF, our driver shortage is more severe than any of the "big name" truck lines. That's my take on this.