FedEx Freight | "Super Single" tire blowout

i`m not up on what the big bosses are doing in harrison but my keen observations have told me that if you look around at the new dollys in the system all of them are duel tire not super singles......to me that shows that maybe they have listened to us.....i dont know what Raafi whas talking about when he said they dont care..."just another cog in the wheel" i belive he said.....

If they are reverting back to duals, it is because the company has seen that it is not cheaper to buy expensive super singles. My opinion only of course.

I will agree with you Rattlesnake.
Seeing less and less of them all the time.

I've noticed that all the new Silver Eagle dollies (in the D67xx range and up) have had dual tires and even the numbers that are typically Super Singles (D43xx-55xx) are starting to show up with duals. I've never had a Super Single blow out but it sure doesn't look like fun, my old Volvo had Super Single drive tires and I don't miss it.

roog

However you will also note that when a dolly is serviced and needs tires you can forget about new rubber. They simply replace them with slightly less used rubber from pups.

Overall I think the maintenance on equipment is quite good, what bothers me is that any attempt at cost cutting is being made on critical equipment. Stop washing trucks, that's fine, I can live with a dirty truck. Can I live with catastrophic tire failure?

Guess I'm gonna find out.

However you will also note that when a dolly is serviced and needs tires you can forget about new rubber. They simply replace them with slightly less used rubber from pups.

Overall I think the maintenance on equipment is quite good, what bothers me is that any attempt at cost cutting is being made on critical equipment. Stop washing trucks, that's fine, I can live with a dirty truck. Can I live with catastrophic tire failure?

Guess I'm gonna find out.

UPS keeps very clean equipment. I think we should too.

One of our driver's had a super single drive tire failure last night, just the cap flew off though and the tire held air. The cap did mess up the fuel tank and the last I saw him he had been waiting over 3 hours and the tire truck hadn't even shown up yet. This tire had been on the truck for less than 3 weeks so less than 8000 miles on it.

I'll find out tonight what the rest of the story is.

roog

Thinking of Changing

I was
wondering if someone could help me. But after reading all of these posts I am not so sure. It is very expensive, but a buddy of mine owns a trucking company (only 28 trucks and trailers) he told me that it has saved his company quite a bit of money. Right now anything would help! He also said that when he installed these he worried more about the blowout costs, and said it was quite high which almost sent him back to duals tires because his x-one's replacement was around $900 a tire, and had one go into the ditch causing about $3500 in repairs.
But he purchased a tire pressure monitoring system that also tells the temperture. He said the maximum recommeded temperature is 180 degrees and by knowing that he has all of his drivers pull over at 170 degrees and since that he has not lost any tires. He bought the system from Complete Trucking Website to help drivers optimize time, fuel, and tires. While increasing safety. and after talking to mike there he said it only takes about 5 minutes to install the system. They screw on to the valve stem and wirelessly sends the data to the monitor in the cab. I cant beleive the price is only $296.00 and seems like a cheap way to insure these blowouts from happening. I have heard the radio spots on the midnight truckers show. I was wondering if anyone has any of these on their trucks and if you are happy with them or not. If they work or not? My buddy swears by them, and just gathering information. I want to go with super singles, but dont want to die trying them either.

Thanks for the help.

E2W&B,

My Dad bought one of those for his motor home and he loves it. He loved it so much he bought one for his Scion xA that he tows behind it. This way he knows if his little car is running on the rims!

roog

E2W&B,

My Dad bought one of those for his motor home and he loves it. He loved it so much he bought one for his Scion xA that he tows behind it. This way he knows if his little car is running on the rims! He doesn't run super singles of course, but he loves knowing the temps and pressure of all his tires.

roog

i agree 100% with u guys we have alot of ss at od i have always wondered if they would blow,now i know.i will say this though they are handy to have for city use.

Gears with super singles are not allowed to be used in triple sets. What does that tell you ?

true

Last friday afternoon, a Little Rock Volvo tractor running the super-single tires on the drive blew the right tire on Interstsate 30 enroute back to terminal after a meet & turn.

The driver stated that there was no sort of advanced warning, just a loud "pow", followed by almost instantaneous shredding of the tire and the entire set riding on a steel rim on that side at 65 MPH.

I can't sit here and type long enough to detail every second that transpired from that point.

I will try to sum up what he told me in a nutshell. He did manage to finally get it to a stop and off the road. It was an extremely wild ride. There was a period of about 20 seconds where he genuinely thought that ("this could be it for me"), ("Life flashes before your eyes"), fill in your own cliche' here, but you get the idea.

Point is, they WILL blow out, contrary to "expert" information to the contrary. Be careful. :1036316054:

That's true!
I was being passed by a truck with a super single gear
and it blew big time. The tire was huge chunks or rubber
flying all around me. Yes a major shower of sparks from the
rim riding on the ground.
It seemed like the set was going to turn over when the
right side dropped onto the rim.
I have not seen one of those super single gears in some
time now.
That's a good thing.

FUF

Also true.

Gears with super singles are not allowed to be used in triple sets. What does that tell you ?

The super single tire is a flotation type tire and does
poorly in snowy, icy conditions that's why they are
not recomended in trips, snow ice, yeah they need
to do away with 'um.

FUF

super singles should be not be used on single axle set ups. whoever came up with that plan never thought the very much much about blow outs and the outcome.

As gearraker stated earlier, our co. (OD) uses alot of super single gear. I had one blow a left side on the KS. tpk. and it was indeed quite a show. I think what saved me was the fact that it was a left side that went. With the natural lean of that road to the right, had it been on the other side the result could well have been different. Since then, I don't touch 'em unless there's nothing else available.
Also, an earlier post here mentioned that they aren't even allowed in triple setups. That's what I pull and I had no idea that they weren't allowed. Thanks for the info about that!